Machida wants GSP - Page 6 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 09-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #51 (permalink)
Super Heavyweight
 
ClydebankBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 4,678
Blog Entries: 1
ClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
Really go look back at how far back people wanted to push BJ when he lost to GSP. Penn went from a clear top 3 to suddenly being pushed behind the likes of Shogun/Machida/Rashad/Sheilds/Diaz etc in the P4P ranking, Kenny Florian was gonna destroy BJ and show us all how overrated he was. That is the risk, there are those who look at a loss as a loss and refuse to acknowledge the circumstances of those kind of losses.
Compairing BJ Penn to GSP is like compairing Randy Orton to The Rock.

If GSP lost to Anderson Silva, EVERYONE would consider him to be the 2nd or 3rd best of all time (depending on where you put Fedor). Without the fight, GSP is the 2nd or 3rd best of all time (depending on where you put Fedor).

He has NOTHING to lose in this fight, and has to gain becoming the greatest fighter in MMA history. If GSP beat Anderson, it would be years upon years before anyone would come close to matching him. Jon Jones would probably have to become the HW champion just the reach the same level of status. Isn't that why people fight?

Right now GSP is the greatest WW of all time. But in getting into this business, he wants to become the greatest fighter of all time. Fighting Anderson is his one and only oppertunity to do this. His rivalry with Diaz isn't even close to the Sonnen/Silva rivalry, so even if he convincingly beat Nick he still wouldnt match up to Anderson. Anderson can even lose to Bonnar and still be by a stretch the greatest fighter of all time. If GSP wants to reach that level of greatness, he has to take the fight (couple that with the possibility of MMA matching boxing after the failures to get Pacquiao and Mayweather together).

In summary, Anderson doesnt need this fight...GSP does.
__________________


MMA Forum Survival GP Season 5 Winner
VIP FFL 2013: 19th (Last) - 40 Points
ClydebankBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 09-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #52 (permalink)

 
Toxic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: See that guy over in the window, with the binoculars?
Posts: 20,984
Toxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among Men
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydebankBlitz View Post
Compairing BJ Penn to GSP is like compairing Randy Orton to The Rock.

If GSP lost to Anderson Silva, EVERYONE would consider him to be the 2nd or 3rd best of all time (depending on where you put Fedor). Without the fight, GSP is the 2nd or 3rd best of all time (depending on where you put Fedor).

He has NOTHING to lose in this fight, and has to gain becoming the greatest fighter in MMA history. If GSP beat Anderson, it would be years upon years before anyone would come close to matching him. Jon Jones would probably have to become the HW champion just the reach the same level of status. Isn't that why people fight?

Right now GSP is the greatest WW of all time. But in getting into this business, he wants to become the greatest fighter of all time. Fighting Anderson is his one and only oppertunity to do this. His rivalry with Diaz isn't even close to the Sonnen/Silva rivalry, so even if he convincingly beat Nick he still wouldnt match up to Anderson. Anderson can even lose to Bonnar and still be by a stretch the greatest fighter of all time. If GSP wants to reach that level of greatness, he has to take the fight (couple that with the possibility of MMA matching boxing after the failures to get Pacquiao and Mayweather together).

In summary, Anderson doesnt need this fight...GSP does.
BJ Penn is one of the single greatest fighters to every step in a cage or a ring ever and any fighter should be so lucky as to be compared to him. The way you look down on him in comparison to GSP is exactly what the problem is and exactly why it would be a horrible decision for GSP's legacy to fight Silva.
__________________



"If you get hit and it hurts hit him back you not knocked out yet."-Joe Doerksen
The Toxic Terrors (FFL)
Demetrious Johnson*Eduardo Dantas*Rafael Silva*Zach Makovsky*Michael Page



Toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #53 (permalink)
Super Heavyweight
 
ClydebankBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 4,678
Blog Entries: 1
ClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
BJ Penn is one of the single greatest fighters to every step in a cage or a ring ever and any fighter should be so lucky as to be compared to him. The way you look down on him in comparison to GSP is exactly what the problem is and exactly why it would be a horrible decision for GSP's legacy to fight Silva.
BJ Penn was never at the same level as Anderson Silva, GSP and Jon Jones are RIGHT NOW (BJ and GSP werent much different back then). Don't get me wrong, BJ was an amazing fighter and is up there in the most popular. You can easily have him as top 5. But it's like mentioning Sergio Martinez next to Pac and Mayweather. Jones, Anderson and GSP are on a completley different stage to the rest.

If GSP lost to Anderson, he nothing would change about his legacy. If he then went on to lose twice to say Nick Diaz (like BJ lost to Frankie Edgar), drew with say Chris Weidman (Fitch) and lost to Michael Bisping (Diaz), then his legacy would be in the same stage as BJ Penn's.
__________________


MMA Forum Survival GP Season 5 Winner
VIP FFL 2013: 19th (Last) - 40 Points
ClydebankBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #54 (permalink)

 
Toxic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: See that guy over in the window, with the binoculars?
Posts: 20,984
Toxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among Men
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydebankBlitz View Post
BJ Penn was never at the same level as Anderson Silva, GSP and Jon Jones are RIGHT NOW (BJ and GSP werent much different back then). Don't get me wrong, BJ was an amazing fighter and is up there in the most popular. You can easily have him as top 5. But it's like mentioning Sergio Martinez next to Pac and Mayweather. Jones, Anderson and GSP are on a completley different stage to the rest.

If GSP lost to Anderson, he nothing would change about his legacy. If he then went on to lose twice to say Nick Diaz (like BJ lost to Frankie Edgar), drew with say Chris Weidman (Fitch) and lost to Michael Bisping (Diaz), then his legacy would be in the same stage as BJ Penn's.
Matt Hughes was the most dominant champion in WW history and BJ moved up and beat him for the title. BJ was on a different level than Anderson Silva or GSP are right now that is an accurate statement but that is because GSP would have to move up and BEAT Anderson Silva to be on the level BJ was once on. Your comparisons are so far off I won't even respond to them.
__________________



"If you get hit and it hurts hit him back you not knocked out yet."-Joe Doerksen
The Toxic Terrors (FFL)
Demetrious Johnson*Eduardo Dantas*Rafael Silva*Zach Makovsky*Michael Page



Toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #55 (permalink)
Super Heavyweight
 
ClydebankBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 4,678
Blog Entries: 1
ClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
Matt Hughes was the most dominant champion in WW history and BJ moved up and beat him for the title. BJ was on a different level than Anderson Silva or GSP are right now that is an accurate statement but that is because GSP would have to move up and BEAT Anderson Silva to be on the level BJ was once on. Your comparisons are so far off I won't even respond to them.
You're comparisson now is Matt Hughes Vs Anderson Silva, which is a MILLION miles less impressive.

BJ Penn was still a huge name after he lost to BJ. It's the losses to Edgar and the loss to Diaz, mixed with the draw with Fitch that makes him not on that level now.

And I don't think BJ was ever at the same stage that GSP or AS is now.

When BJ faught GSP (the second time), he has already stuffed two title shots against Jens Pulver and Caol Uno. And had one HUGE win over Hughes. When he came back from being away from the UFC, he lost his qualifyer for the Welterweight title (against GSP) and then a title shot (against Hughes) back to back. Then he dropped down, only won three fights (with only one title defence to the date) and lost to GSP (again).

If GSP faught Anderson Silva, he's on a 9 fight streak, has the second most title defences in history (under AS), has fully avenges the only losses of his career (in the same manner that he lost) and hasnt lost a fight in 5 years.

Those are completley facts, so I mean you can't really compair the accomplishments of BJ Penn to those of GSP coming into this fight.
__________________


MMA Forum Survival GP Season 5 Winner
VIP FFL 2013: 19th (Last) - 40 Points
ClydebankBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #56 (permalink)

 
Toxic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: See that guy over in the window, with the binoculars?
Posts: 20,984
Toxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among Men
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydebankBlitz View Post
You're comparisson now is Matt Hughes Vs Anderson Silva, which is a MILLION miles less impressive.

BJ Penn was still a huge name after he lost to BJ. It's the losses to Edgar and the loss to Diaz, mixed with the draw with Fitch that makes him not on that level now.

And I don't think BJ was ever at the same stage that GSP or AS is now.

When BJ faught GSP (the second time), he has already stuffed two title shots against Jens Pulver and Caol Uno. And had one HUGE win over Hughes. When he came back from being away from the UFC, he lost his qualifyer for the Welterweight title (against GSP) and then a title shot (against Hughes) back to back. Then he dropped down, only won three fights (with only one title defence to the date) and lost to GSP (again).

If GSP faught Anderson Silva, he's on a 9 fight streak, has the second most title defences in history (under AS), has fully avenges the only losses of his career (in the same manner that he lost) and hasnt lost a fight in 5 years.

Those are completley facts, so I mean you can't really compair the accomplishments of BJ Penn to those of GSP coming into this fight.
GSP lost his first title fight and also lost his title to Serra remember? But as I said your opinion on his losses to Diaz, and draw to Fitch just go to further my point that its foolish to move up because if you have less than 100% success then half the fans turn on you regardless of what you accomplish at that weight. There is no win for any fighter because fans don't respect the challenge and the drive to fight the best, for all the talk they just turn on you and throw you under the bus. As I said every post you make were you try to discredit Penn just furthers my point. I am a fan of both Penn and GSP and think they are equally great fighters but one took that chance the other hasn't and look at the way people view them.
__________________



"If you get hit and it hurts hit him back you not knocked out yet."-Joe Doerksen
The Toxic Terrors (FFL)
Demetrious Johnson*Eduardo Dantas*Rafael Silva*Zach Makovsky*Michael Page



Toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #57 (permalink)
Super Heavyweight
 
ClydebankBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 4,678
Blog Entries: 1
ClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
GSP lost his first title fight and also lost his title to Serra remember? But as I said your opinion on his losses to Diaz, and draw to Fitch just go to further my point that its foolish to move up because if you have less than 100% success then half the fans turn on you regardless of what you accomplish at that weight. There is no win for any fighter because fans don't respect the challenge and the drive to fight the best, for all the talk they just turn on you and throw you under the bus. As I said every post you make were you try to discredit Penn just furthers my point. I am a fan of both Penn and GSP and think they are equally great fighters but one took that chance the other hasn't and look at the way people view them.
But that's a chance you have to take. I'll go into why GSP won't drop in a minute, but lets assume that GSP then even drops out of the top 10 of all time. Isn't that a risk that he should be willing to take.

Win:- Become the greatest of all time.
Lose:- Drop out of the top 10 all time.
Don't Fight:- Stay top 3 all time.

Being the 2nd best and being the 10th best doesnt make a difference if you had the oppertunity to become the best.

And regarding what you said about "The Diaz and Fitch fights prove what i said", GSP wouldnt be staying at MW. If he lost to Anderson, you wouldnt see him challenging Weidman and Bisping. People turn on you if you keep losing fights. BJ Penn lost a lot of fights close together, two at LW and two at WW. GSP would be having one fight (at a catchweight).

Okay, lets take Diaz and Fitch out of the equasion.

If GSP lost to Anderson, came back, beat (just examples) Condit and Koscheck and then lost twice to Diaz, that would fuk up his legacy. The Anderson fight alone did nothing, but the two losses at his own weight class would. BJ Penn came back to LW, defended his belt twice and then got beat two times off of Edgar. That was more harmful to his legacy than the GSP loss. I'm sure the majority of fans don't even care that Penn lost to GSP because lots of people have lost to GSP.
__________________


MMA Forum Survival GP Season 5 Winner
VIP FFL 2013: 19th (Last) - 40 Points
ClydebankBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #58 (permalink)
"Focus"
 
Life B Ez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 8,651
Life B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLife B Ez Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
BJ Penn is one of the single greatest fighters to every step in a cage or a ring ever and any fighter should be so lucky as to be compared to him. The way you look down on him in comparison to GSP is exactly what the problem is and exactly why it would be a horrible decision for GSP's legacy to fight Silva.
Greatest is about more than just skill.
__________________
Think. It Ain't Illegal Yet
"Discipline Hurts Less Than Regret"
Life B Ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #59 (permalink)

 
Toxic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: See that guy over in the window, with the binoculars?
Posts: 20,984
Toxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among Men
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydebankBlitz View Post
But that's a chance you have to take. I'll go into why GSP won't drop in a minute, but lets assume that GSP then even drops out of the top 10 of all time. Isn't that a risk that he should be willing to take.

Win:- Become the greatest of all time.
Lose:- Drop out of the top 10 all time.
Don't Fight:- Stay top 3 all time.

Being the 2nd best and being the 10th best doesnt make a difference if you had the oppertunity to become the best.

And regarding what you said about "The Diaz and Fitch fights prove what i said", GSP wouldnt be staying at MW. If he lost to Anderson, you wouldnt see him challenging Weidman and Bisping. People turn on you if you keep losing fights. BJ Penn lost a lot of fights close together, two at LW and two at WW. GSP would be having one fight (at a catchweight).

Okay, lets take Diaz and Fitch out of the equasion.

If GSP lost to Anderson, came back, beat (just examples) Condit and Koscheck and then lost twice to Diaz, that would fuk up his legacy. The Anderson fight alone did nothing, but the two losses at his own weight class would. BJ Penn came back to LW, defended his belt twice and then got beat two times off of Edgar. That was more harmful to his legacy than the GSP loss. I'm sure the majority of fans don't even care that Penn lost to GSP because lots of people have lost to GSP.
See the proper comarision would be GSP moves up beats Anderson, leaves the UFC beats some mid tier LHW's and the guy who was considered the top WW in the world outside the UFC, then he comes back and loses to say Weidmen in a controversial decision then he loses to Anderson. Now GSP wanting to return to the MW division after Weidman became champ would make more sense wouldn't it. BJ didnd't move up and challenge GSP in superfight, he returned to the division he was once the freaking champ of for a rematch of a controversial fight.
__________________



"If you get hit and it hurts hit him back you not knocked out yet."-Joe Doerksen
The Toxic Terrors (FFL)
Demetrious Johnson*Eduardo Dantas*Rafael Silva*Zach Makovsky*Michael Page



Toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #60 (permalink)
Super Heavyweight
 
ClydebankBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 4,678
Blog Entries: 1
ClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
See the proper comarision would be GSP moves up beats Anderson, leaves the UFC beats some mid tier LHW's and the guy who was considered the top WW in the world outside the UFC, then he comes back and loses to say Weidmen in a controversial decision then he loses to Anderson. Now GSP wanting to return to the MW division after Weidman became champ would make more sense wouldn't it. BJ didnd't move up and challenge GSP in superfight, he returned to the division he was once the freaking champ of for a rematch of a controversial fight.
Again, you just compaired Matt Hughes to Anderson Silva.
__________________


MMA Forum Survival GP Season 5 Winner
VIP FFL 2013: 19th (Last) - 40 Points
ClydebankBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios