Matt Mitrione talks about why he turned down fight with Daniel Cormier - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 10-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #21 (permalink)
All Around Nice Guy
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
 
SideWays222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,757
SideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddellianenko View Post
Not that different.

This fight is to save a main event heavy card, so was that.

Jones had everything to lose and nothing to gain, so does Mitrione or anyone who steps up on short notice for nothing but a few brownie points with completely ungrateful short-memory fans and boss.

Jones hadn't been training for a guy known for his MMA takedowns, neither has Matt. Jones though had only a week to train specifically for Chael, Mitrione would have more than a month.

The main difference is this fight is being offered around to more than one fighter (imagine that!) and Mitrione isn't being scapegoated. Also Cormier doesn't happen to be the best friend of the guy that mysteriously hid his injury for weeks before pulling out, and also a trash talking douche who didn't deserve the shot in the least, but lets overlook that as well.


You realize that Mitrione wasnt in a training camp correct???

Jon Jones was in a training camp for 3 months.

And you do realize that Mitrione was NOT scheduled to fight on the Strikeforce card. He didnt turn Cormier down because his original opponent pulled out. He was never ment to be on that card in the first place.

Jon Jones WAS scheduled to fight on UFC 151 AND he turned down a last minute replacement that was NOT training.

Jon Jones was not the replacement in that situation. Mitrione IS the replacment in this situation.

IF Jones was NOT scheduled to fight on UFC 151 and then out of no where he was asked to fight Chael at UFC 151 on a months notice. Not a single person would have complained if Jones turned that down. And that is the situation we have here.

I could keep going but sadly by i KNOW its falling on deaf ear. So il get back to my original question

What is this world coming to...
SideWays222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 10-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #22 (permalink)
KO artist
 
Liddellianenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 4,108
Liddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWays222 View Post
You realize that Mitrione wasnt in a training camp correct???
And he had a month and a quarter to do one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWays222 View Post
Jon Jones was in a training camp for 3 months.
For another guy, with less than a week to train for Chael. Mitrione himself acknowledges that he needs to train specifically on his wrestling for a guy like Cormier. How is that different from Bones having to train differently for Sonnen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWays222 View Post
And you do realize that Mitrione was NOT scheduled to fight on the Strikeforce card. He didnt turn Cormier down because his original opponent pulled out. He was never ment to be on that card in the first place.

Jon Jones WAS scheduled to fight on UFC 151 AND he turned down a last minute replacement that was NOT training.

Jon Jones was not the replacement in that situation. Mitrione IS the replacment in this situation.
How does that make a difference? Bones signed up to fight a completely different guy, a guy who hid his injury and backed out. Does him being put on the card poster somehow mean he is obligated to fight godzilla if they so choose at the last minute?

The only fact that matters is they were both offered last minute fights and they both refused. One FAR more last minute than the other. Who was the replacee and the replacer is irrelevant, from a fighter's perspective a last minute fight is a last minute fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWays222 View Post
IF Jones was NOT scheduled to fight on UFC 151 and then out of no where he was asked to fight Chael at UFC 151 on a months notice. Not a single person would have complained if Jones turned that down. And that is the situation we have here.
You'd still complain, because you've complained about every word he's ever said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWays222 View Post
I could keep going but sadly by i KNOW its falling on deaf ear. So il get back to my original question

What is this world coming to...
A complete lack of consistency apparently.
Liddellianenko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #23 (permalink)
ptw
Featherweight
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,297
ptw Is Beloved By Allptw Is Beloved By Allptw Is Beloved By Allptw Is Beloved By Allptw Is Beloved By Allptw Is Beloved By Allptw Is Beloved By Allptw Is Beloved By Allptw Is Beloved By Allptw Is Beloved By Allptw Is Beloved By All
Mitione denying short notice fight =/= Chael Sonnen taking a short notice fight

I could see a comparison between Chael and Mitrione here, but to compare Jon Jones to Mitrione doesn't make sense.

Both Mitrione and Chael were offered short notice fights. Chael is a ******* badass and took it, we can ponder our brains off about why he took a fight on short notice like that; Chael is probably one of the smartest guys in MMA right now with the way he carries himself, but it did wonders for his image. The truth is Chael Sonnen should have denied the short notice fight with Jon Jones, it is suicide for anyone in the LHW division to take a fight that late against Jon Jones of all people...then you have to take into account the repercussions of losing an unearned title shot, and how you usually only get 2 title shots in a weight class before you're just termed a high level gate keeper of the division. A reasonable person would not take the fight against Jones on one weeks notice.

Then we have Mitrione, who sees things realistically and realizes that although he'd be helping the UFC out tremendously and giving the fans a show, he's basically getting paid to lose a fight and welcome a ******* monster into the HW division on a weeks notice who will destroy him.

Jon Jones refusing the Chael fight is only comparable to Cormier refusing to fight Mitrione had he taken the fight. Both Chael and Mitrione did not have training camps, and both were offered a fight on short notice. Jon Jones and Cormier both lost their opponents due to an injury and the UFC was forced to find a replacement.

Last edited by ptw : 10-03-2012 at 08:40 PM.
ptw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #24 (permalink)
KO artist
 
Liddellianenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 4,108
Liddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
Mitione denying short notice fight =/= Chael Sonnen taking a short notice fight

I could see a comparison between Chael and Mitrione here, but to compare Jon Jones to Mitrione doesn't make sense.

Both Mitrione and Chael were offered short notice fights. Chael is a ******* badass and took it, we can ponder our brains off about why he took a fight on short notice like that; Chael is probably one of the smartest guys in MMA right now with the way he carries himself, but it did wonders for his image. The truth is Chael Sonnen should have denied the short notice fight with Jon Jones, it is suicide for anyone in the LHW division to take a fight that late against Jon Jones of all people...then you have to take into account the repercussions of losing an unearned title shot, and how you usually only get 2 title shots in a weight class before you're just termed a high level gate keeper of the division. A reasonable person would not take the fight against Jones on one weeks notice.

Then we have Mitrione, who sees things realistically and realizes that although he'd be helping the UFC out tremendously and giving the fans a show, he's basically getting paid to lose a fight and welcome a ******* monster into the HW division on a weeks notice who will destroy him.

Jon Jones refusing the Chael fight is only comparable to Cormier refusing to fight Mitrione had he taken the fight. Both Chael and Mitrione did not have training camps, and both were offered a fight on short notice. Jon Jones and Cormier both lost their opponents due to an injury and the UFC was forced to find a replacement.
No Chael got a UFC title shot for free (oh wait he talked some stupid shit on twitter nm he earned it). He had nothing to lose. ANYONE would take that free title fight, unless they expected to get a legit title shot soon anyway (like Machida). Nothing badass about it.

Mitrione is getting a useless SF title shot which no one cares about anymore after the merger (doesn't exactly bring the $$$ running in), and his stock falls a lot if he loses. His situation is a lot more similar to Jones than Chael when it comes to risk:reward/stakes.

You guys are reading too much into the "replacee/replacer" semantics. In poker the stakes don't change depending on whether you're the one raising a $1000 hand or calling it ... the stakes for you depend on what cards you hold. Jones and Mitrione held similar "cards" when it came to risks.
Liddellianenko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:58 PM   #25 (permalink)
All Around Nice Guy
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
 
SideWays222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,757
SideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddellianenko View Post
And he had a month and a quarter to do one.



For another guy, with less than a week to train for Chael. Mitrione himself acknowledges that he needs to train specifically on his wrestling for a guy like Cormier. How is that different from Bones having to train differently for Sonnen?



How does that make a difference? Bones signed up to fight a completely different guy, a guy who hid his injury and backed out. Does him being put on the card poster somehow mean he is obligated to fight godzilla if they so choose at the last minute?

The only fact that matters is they were both offered last minute fights and they both refused. One FAR more last minute than the other. Who was the replacee and the replacer is irrelevant, from a fighter's perspective a last minute fight is a last minute fight.



You'd still complain, because you've complained about every word he's ever said.


A complete lack of consistency apparently.
As i said.. its going on deaf ear.



Its like im not sure if you dont grasp Mitriones situation or if you never fully grasped Jones situation. Either way you are comparing apples to oranges to make yourself feel better. Using arguments like "He has a month and a quarter" are proof of this. As if you dont see a difference between being in a 3 month training camp and being in a "Month and quarter" training camp.

BTW lets not forget that Mitrione already has an opponent scheduled at the end of December. I dont recall Jones having an opponent scheduled 3 months away and then being asked to fight someone much tougher on a months notice without being in a training camp. Hmmm i wonder what Jones would have done in that situation.

Why am i even writing this... i am 100% sure that nothing gets passed that thick skull.


For shts and giggles.
Even though the situations are completely different. I would still rag on Mitrione if he made an interview about how he would kick Cormiers ass and take the fight in a heartbeat just a few days before he turns down that very fight. Which is exactly what Jones did.

Quote:
You'd still complain, because you've complained about every word he's ever said.
Its comments like this that just make me shake my head. How extremely wrong you are. Just recently i was defending Jones in a thread. I attack Jones when he deserves to be attacked and defend him when he deserves to be defended. Its not my fault you are too blind to see how OBVIOUSLY different these 2 situations are.. Why anyone tries to have discussions with you when you say stuff like this.. its beyond me. Your brain just does not work on "logic".


Quote:
A complete lack of consistency apparently.
Only if you are not smart enough to see the obvious differences. For those that are smart enough to see how completely different those situations are, realize that everything on this issue is still "Consistent".
SideWays222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:04 AM   #26 (permalink)
Baddest Man Alive
 
3DLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 663
3DLee is on another level now3DLee is on another level now3DLee is on another level now3DLee is on another level now3DLee is on another level now3DLee is on another level now3DLee is on another level now3DLee is on another level now3DLee is on another level now3DLee is on another level now3DLee is on another level now
Im respecting Mitrione for his reason's here and I think Jones pulled a punk move and I'll explain why.

Mitrione openly admits that his skills are not on the level of Daniel Cormier and in a round about way admits that Cormier would likely out class him. I think its safe to say that Mitrione would have been a huge underdog here and is trying to be careful with his record. Matt basically says not just no because its short notice, but no all around about fighting Cormier right now. Not ballsy, but I understand.

Now with Jones, why would you turn down fighting Chael when you have been training for Dan Henderson? Jon Jones would've been an even BIGGER favorite over Chael than his original opponent. And yes, people had already spent thousands of hard earned dollars for flights, hotels and tickets to go to see Jon Jones fight but he refuses. Forget the UFC and the undercard guys, the people that got screwed out of UFC 151 were the fans that had spent money planning to go.

Mitrione was offered to take a fight on a card that he wasnt already on and take a huge step up in competition and he said no. He admits that hes not good enough yet. Jon Jones was already set up to fight that day and his original opponent dropped, he got offered an (imo easier) opponent and said no, pretty much because he could. His logic doesnt make since to me. I think Chael could train every day for a year nothing but wrestling, Jones trains nothing but striking for a year, and Chael would likely still not score a take down. Jones didnt take this fight because he didnt have to. And screwed tons of fans by doing turning it down. Mitrione had no obligations for even fighting for Strikeforce, let alone Cormier on that day.

In conclusion, Mitrione and Jones are apples and oranges. Mitrione is admittedly scared. Jones was probably drunk.
3DLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:34 AM   #27 (permalink)
KO artist
 
Liddellianenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 4,108
Liddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWays222 View Post
For shts and giggles.
Even though the situations are completely different. I would still rag on Mitrione if he made an interview about how he would kick Cormiers ass and take the fight in a heartbeat just a few days before he turns down that very fight. Which is exactly what Jones did.
Orly? Please link this mythical interview then, because as far as i know Jones' stand before 151 was that Chael was trying to talk his way to a shot and he WOULD NOT gift him a shot for talking shit on twitter.

http://www.espn.co.uk/espn/sport/story/166130.html

This interview was just a couple of days before henderson pulled out, so i'm fairly certain he didn't say the exact opposite a day or so later like you claim, until AFTER the fallout and the UFC forcing him to take the fight.

Yeah your hate is totally logical and completely not based on interviews you make up in your head.
Liddellianenko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:43 AM   #28 (permalink)
All Around Nice Guy
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
 
SideWays222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,757
SideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddellianenko View Post
Orly? Please link this mythical interview then, because as far as i know Jones' stand before 151 was that Chael was trying to talk his way to a shot and he WOULD NOT gift him a shot for talking shit on twitter.

http://www.espn.co.uk/espn/sport/story/166130.html

What he did say was IF Chael worked his way up, which he didnt, he'd be happy to hurt him and easily beat him.

Yeah your hate is totally logical and completely not based on interviews you make up in your head.
Kanan: "Why not just take the fight, do it and make a lot of money?"

Jones: "I totally agree and I'm not sitting here saying that I wouldn't take the fight, I would take the fight in a heartbeat."




Oh BTW he had no problem accepting a fight with Vitor who didnt deserve the title shot. More BS that you fell for cause you are a fool.

Its your LOVE for the guy that is COMPLETELY blinded you on this situation. I dont have "Real" hate for the guy. There is nothing that blinds me in this situation. If Jones wasnt so deep in his own bullshit then id be defending him in a heartbeat. I am going by the facts.

You on the other hand have soooo much jizz in your face that you cant see through it.


Honestly Liddelanko. Just stfu.... you are so wrong on so many levels and you are too blind to see this. Im not sure who spews more BS... you or Jones.

Quit bringing up the Jones situation because of something that does not relate in any way JUST because you didnt get closure during the whole UFC 151 thing.

Just

GET OVER IT.

And move on...
SideWays222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:35 AM   #29 (permalink)
KO artist
 
Liddellianenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 4,108
Liddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWays222 View Post
Kanan: "Why not just take the fight, do it and make a lot of money?"

Jones: "I totally agree and I'm not sitting here saying that I wouldn't take the fight, I would take the fight in a heartbeat."




Oh BTW he had no problem accepting a fight with Vitor who didnt deserve the title shot. More BS that you fell for cause you are a fool.

Its your LOVE for the guy that is COMPLETELY blinded you on this situation. I dont have "Real" hate for the guy. There is nothing that blinds me in this situation. If Jones wasnt so deep in his own bullshit then id be defending him in a heartbeat. I am going by the facts.

You on the other hand have soooo much jizz in your face that you cant see through it.


Honestly Liddelanko. Just stfu.... you are so wrong on so many levels and you are too blind to see this. Im not sure who spews more BS... you or Jones.

Quit bringing up the Jones situation because of something that does not relate in any way JUST because you didnt get closure during the whole UFC 151 thing.

Just

GET OVER IT.

And move on...
Wow what a douchebag radio host clearly cutting off the quote and taking it out of context.

So Jones spends the whole interview saying how he would basically not gift the guy a shot for talking, then the host "sells" the fight, Jones starts saying yeah of course he would take the fight and beat the crap out of Chael ....KKKKHHHRRRR *CUE STUPID RADIO THEME*.

There wasn't even a 1/4 second pause between Jones last word and the abrupt cutoff, it's obvious the cut off point was deliberate and taking the quote out of context. Why would Jones flip flop his entire stance from the SAME interview and the last few months just because this moron "sells" him on it?

Jones has been saying for a while he would have no problem fighting and destroying Chael ONCE he earned his shot, but if you cut off the "once he earned his shot" part ... TADAA, reality TV magic, fresh served for low IQ haters waiting for dinner.
Liddellianenko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #30 (permalink)
All Around Nice Guy
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
 
SideWays222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,757
SideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddellianenko View Post
Wow what a douchebag radio host clearly cutting off the quote and taking it out of context.

So Jones spends the whole interview saying how he would basically not gift the guy a shot for talking, then the host "sells" the fight, Jones starts saying yeah of course he would take the fight and beat the crap out of Chael ....KKKKHHHRRRR *CUE STUPID RADIO THEME*.

There wasn't even a 1/4 second pause between Jones last word and the abrupt cutoff, it's obvious the cut off point was deliberate and taking the quote out of context. Why would Jones flip flop his entire stance from the SAME interview and the last few months just because this moron "sells" him on it?

Jones has been saying for a while he would have no problem fighting and destroying Chael ONCE he earned his shot, but if you cut off the "once he earned his shot" part ... TADAA, reality TV magic, fresh served for low IQ haters waiting for dinner.
Lmao..

I find it hard to believe that you even believe your own bs.

The quote is there.

You can put your fingers in your ears and yell LALALALALALA but that does not change the truth.
SideWays222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios