Erick Silva, how good is that "kid" and can be beat GSP ? - Page 5 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 10-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #41 (permalink)
Ultra-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,392
jonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Paul Guy View Post
Weidman will probably eventually beat Silva, and Gustafsson will be a top 10 LHW for years, but Erick Silva is so over-hyped that it's baffling.

Charlie Brenneman is his best win.
Never understood this argument. So because he only has 3 fights in the UFC and hasn't been given a real tough opponent (until now, his 4th fight he is getting a guy that had been top 3 for years) he has to be overhyped?

Is he supposed to fight Nick Diaz in the street to justify the hype? How can he fight anyone he hasn't been given?

So if he straight KO'd Fitch is he still overhyped? If not, Why would 1 punch change everything. How does 1 punch mean he is the real deal?

You are saying he is over-hyped because he hasn't been given a top UFC fighter yet. There is more to looking at their records on wiki or sherdog. From what I have seen Silva has real skill.

Silva came into the Brenneman fight and had people say "oh Silva probably has no TDD so Brenneman might just lay on him. Silva wasn't even much of a favorite. He ended up tooling him and subbing him.

I think Fitch is going to get tooled here. And then everyone will all of sudden go from he is over-hyped to this kid is a beast.

Last edited by jonnyg4508 : 10-08-2012 at 10:16 AM.
jonnyg4508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 10-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #42 (permalink)
Gracie Hunter
 
Vale_Tudo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,021
Vale_Tudo Is Beloved By AllVale_Tudo Is Beloved By AllVale_Tudo Is Beloved By AllVale_Tudo Is Beloved By AllVale_Tudo Is Beloved By AllVale_Tudo Is Beloved By AllVale_Tudo Is Beloved By AllVale_Tudo Is Beloved By AllVale_Tudo Is Beloved By AllVale_Tudo Is Beloved By AllVale_Tudo Is Beloved By All
His biggest win is Brenneman who was just released.

Alot of this will be answered after the Fitch fight, but as of right now I havent see any single area this kid is better than GSP except "agressiveness" if there is such a thing to be better at.

I need to see more than 4-5 minutes of this guy before I start wondering If he can beat one of the greatest of all time.
__________________
Vale_Tudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #43 (permalink)
SOOTHE YOUR SAVAGE BREASTS
 
OHKO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,501
OHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of Knowledge
To be honest, I don't think Silva can even get past Fitch, let alone get a win over GSP.
__________________
Anderson Silva
Aldo - Dos Anjos - Mayday - Weidman - Machida - Jones
OHKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #44 (permalink)
Ultra-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,392
jonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings System
For the record I don't think he can beat GSP.

But I think he beats Fitch. And with confidence, his skills, and his camp, who knows where he will be in a couple years.

I think he beats Fitch though. And the UFC is setting him up to feed off a big name.

Let That Boy Cook!
jonnyg4508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #45 (permalink)
Don't Sweat the Technique
 
St.Paul Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 1,660
St.Paul Guy Is Destined For GreatnessSt.Paul Guy Is Destined For GreatnessSt.Paul Guy Is Destined For GreatnessSt.Paul Guy Is Destined For GreatnessSt.Paul Guy Is Destined For GreatnessSt.Paul Guy Is Destined For GreatnessSt.Paul Guy Is Destined For GreatnessSt.Paul Guy Is Destined For GreatnessSt.Paul Guy Is Destined For GreatnessSt.Paul Guy Is Destined For GreatnessSt.Paul Guy Is Destined For Greatness
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
Never understood this argument. So because he only has 3 fights in the UFC and hasn't been given a real tough opponent (until now, his 4th fight he is getting a guy that had been top 3 for years) he has to be overhyped?

Is he supposed to fight Nick Diaz in the street to justify the hype? How can he fight anyone he hasn't been given?

So if he straight KO'd Fitch is he still overhyped? If not, Why would 1 punch change everything. How does 1 punch mean he is the real deal?

You are saying he is over-hyped because he hasn't been given a top UFC fighter yet. There is more to looking at their records on wiki or sherdog. From what I have seen Silva has real skill.

Silva came into the Brenneman fight and had people say "oh Silva probably has no TDD so Brenneman might just lay on him. Silva wasn't even much of a favorite. He ended up tooling him and subbing him.

I think Fitch is going to get tooled here. And then everyone will all of sudden go from he is over-hyped to this kid is a beast.
I'm not saying he isn't good. I'm just saying there is no evidence to suggest that he is in the same class as the names being thrown around in this thread.

He has yet to fight even a mediocre UFC fighter, and I'll reserve judgment until he does. Beating Fitch would be a good start to validate the hype, but frankly I have no idea how good Fitch is anymore, so pretty much no matter what happens on Saturday it's going to be hard to say where he is at with any real confidence.
__________________



Sig credit: MC

~ Lifetime Membership sponsored by RustyRenegade ~
St.Paul Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #46 (permalink)
Ultra-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,392
jonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Paul Guy View Post
I'm not saying he isn't good. I'm just saying there is no evidence to suggest that he is in the same class as the names being thrown around in this thread.

He has yet to fight even a mediocre UFC fighter, and I'll reserve judgment until he does. Beating Fitch would be a good start to validate the hype, but frankly I have no idea how good Fitch is anymore, so pretty much no matter what happens on Saturday it's going to be hard to say where he is at with any real confidence.
So on one hand you are saying we don't know what Silva is beause he hasn't fought anyone relevant in the UFC.

On the other hand you say if he beats Fitch you still can't say what he is.

So what is he supposed to do? Is Fitch not a top 10 fighter?

Reguardless of who Silva has beat, he has beat them in impressive/easy fashion. The skills he has shown in my eyes are top 10 level talent. He has one of the betters camps/teams in the whole sport. He is well-rounded. He has a killer instinct that can't be denied.

We will see what happens. Call it hype. But it is more of a prediction/opinion. I think Erick Silva can be a top 5 type of WW. Is he now? No. But he will only get better opponents from here. He has the skills to be very very good. And from what I have seen, the right attitude.

It is no more hype than Rory has got. He beat a 155er Nate Diaz. Be Che Mills and people are calling him the future at WW once GSP leaves. Probably less hype.

Last edited by jonnyg4508 : 10-08-2012 at 12:13 PM.
jonnyg4508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #47 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
Big_Charm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 869
Big_Charm Is Respected By All He CrossesBig_Charm Is Respected By All He CrossesBig_Charm Is Respected By All He CrossesBig_Charm Is Respected By All He CrossesBig_Charm Is Respected By All He CrossesBig_Charm Is Respected By All He CrossesBig_Charm Is Respected By All He CrossesBig_Charm Is Respected By All He CrossesBig_Charm Is Respected By All He CrossesBig_Charm Is Respected By All He CrossesBig_Charm Is Respected By All He Crosses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SM33 View Post
It's a very hard formula to deal with and it makes for very entertaining fights, conditioning and toughness is the key to implementing this fight style fully.

Erick has the tools and mentality to put on mad fights for a while to come, and take out big names in doing so.

I wouldn't ponder the GSP question until he fights Condit, his injury is no joke and if he were to lose the title I'm not sure he'd bother trying to get it back.
I like the thinking behind this. Silva def. reminds me of the young Berserker from PRIDE

GSP has been soo dominant, but this injury he's had ends most guys careers.

I'd love to see how he handles Condit. Back to the Silva debate... is he a talent and force to be reckoned with? Yes

Can he beat GSP now? Not a chance, but he's growing in the sport and these young guys are definitely evolving quicker with each generation.
__________________
R.I.P. PRIDE FC

Fedor-Shogun-Overeem-Cro Cop-Silva-Gomi-Henderson-Jackson

2014 NPFFL

Jon Jones . Travis Browne . Demian Maia. Cain Velasquez. Fabricio Werdum
Big_Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #48 (permalink)
Ultra-weight
 
ClydebankBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 6,030
Blog Entries: 1
ClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings SystemClydebankBlitz Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
Never understood this argument. So because he only has 3 fights in the UFC and hasn't been given a real tough opponent (until now, his 4th fight he is getting a guy that had been top 3 for years) he has to be overhyped?

Is he supposed to fight Nick Diaz in the street to justify the hype? How can he fight anyone he hasn't been given?

So if he straight KO'd Fitch is he still overhyped? If not, Why would 1 punch change everything. How does 1 punch mean he is the real deal?

You are saying he is over-hyped because he hasn't been given a top UFC fighter yet. There is more to looking at their records on wiki or sherdog. From what I have seen Silva has real skill.

Silva came into the Brenneman fight and had people say "oh Silva probably has no TDD so Brenneman might just lay on him. Silva wasn't even much of a favorite. He ended up tooling him and subbing him.

I think Fitch is going to get tooled here. And then everyone will all of sudden go from he is over-hyped to this kid is a beast.
This. I said earlier that I dont want people to start over hyping him and to this point, I dont think they are. He's mainly regarded as "the future", and for the time being, Condit, GSP and Diaz are really the only names in the title picture. Silva may just get there, but on his current record and the skill set he has shown thus far, a thread like this gets to me. Silva has a lot of tough battles and proving grounds to go through before he even gets a shot at GSP. He might just get there, but the experience he will gain throughout the process will be ultimatley what wins him it. Right this second, to say he beats GSP is where the overhyping starts, and then you get guys like the one you quoted almost wanting him to lose because they are being overrated. I just want us to all sit back, see how he does against a great opponent in Fitch, and even if he smashes it, give him time and the opprtunity to become a championship fighter without just throwing an unproven name in the mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTAFOOL
well hes barley started BJJ and hes already doing well in ADCC, he has a natural talent when it comes to grappling, maia is great at bjj but needs to work on his TDs

weidman has a sick combination of great wrestling (i think you're underestimating his wrestling...or maybe im overrating it, but i think he outwresltes any1 at 185) size, and bjj...and his striking is getting better and better...

i think his size is something ppl tend to overlook, hes a big MW...i think he could easily bully guys around with his skills + size...i doubt anderson would be able to triangle him, but i wonder if weidman is fast enough to shoot on andy, his footwork is very good..it would be a very interesting fight, obviously i never bet against andy but i would be more worried about weidman than say sonnen or vitor
He might have amazing BJJ for his level, but you said earlier point blank 'amazing', which I think is a big over-statement. I don't think Anderson would sub him, because I've said a million times Anderson's BJJ gets overrated by people around here, but at the same time I don't feel his top grappling would be enough to pass on Anderson (as Spider has recently improved his bottom game a lot as shown in the Sonnen 2 fight). Maia can only really fight a wrestler. He beat Sonnen because a guy like Sonnen is designed for Maia to win. Against a smart wrestler who will use his hands to avoid the ground like Weidman or Koscheck, Maia's one dimentional game doesnt really stand up so well.

Weidman might have great wrestling, but theres a big difference between having great wrestling and being a MW champion. I think Weidman hasn't really been tested against someone who would avoid the takedown yet. I think Bisping would be able to keep it standing with him, and unlike the rush and shoot technique of Sonnen, he won't be able to outsmart Anderson to work for the TD. His hands are def improving, but thats just my point. Is the level of "Good enough to beat Anderson" which I hear off other people really a level for a guy who's "hands are improving".

In summary, he's a really good fighter and I take nothing away from his skillset. He's a great wrestler, good grappler, has good submission defence, and decent striking. This is all well and good, but when you're dealing with a man who's faced better wrestlers, has better grappling, has better BJJ and the greatest striking of all time, I don't really understand why they are been put in the same place.

My main issue too was that I don't feel he's done enough. Even with an impressive win over Tim I don't feel he's done enough. Tim is an easy win for him (unless he gets caught), Munoz was an easy win for him, Maia should have been an easy win and the rest were nobodies.

If not Bisping, I'd have liked to see Weidman fight Lombard. Kind of stupid, I know, since Tim beat Hector, but at the same time I think Lombard is going to come out like a killer in his next fight and he is a very complete fighter, so the two biggest tests right now at MW for Weidman would be Bisping and Lombard, neither of which he is fighting.

tl;dr? Don't overhype Erick, and I'm not a big Weidman fan.
__________________


MMA Forum Survival GP Season 5 Winner
VIP FFL 2013: 19th (Last) - 40 Points
ClydebankBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #49 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
<M>MA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 511
<M>MA Is Running Through The Rankings<M>MA Is Running Through The Rankings<M>MA Is Running Through The Rankings<M>MA Is Running Through The Rankings<M>MA Is Running Through The Rankings<M>MA Is Running Through The Rankings<M>MA Is Running Through The Rankings<M>MA Is Running Through The Rankings<M>MA Is Running Through The Rankings<M>MA Is Running Through The Rankings<M>MA Is Running Through The Rankings
I think Fitch will dry hump him for a win. However, if he does beat Fitch I'd like to see him fight Rory Mac or the loser of GSP v Condit. Nick Diaz would be a great test as well.
<M>MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #50 (permalink)
Ultra-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,392
jonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by <M>MA View Post
I think Fitch will dry hump him for a win. However, if he does beat Fitch I'd like to see him fight Rory Mac or the loser of GSP v Condit. Nick Diaz would be a great test as well.
I don't think they will let him lay on him for 3 rounds in Brazil.

I doubt they would do Silva/Rory. I bet they want them both to be possible contenders. They usually don't put 2 prospects like that in with eachother. That would be a good matchup though.

I think they give Ellenberger to the winner of Fitch/Silva.
jonnyg4508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios