Is Phil Davis near the top. - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 09:03 AM
The 45%
 
ClydebankBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 13,636
Blog Entries: 2
                     
^If you can win without being well rounded then it doesnt matter.

ClydebankBlitz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 09:25 AM
LL
Cruz Control
 
LL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ocean Front Property in Arizona.
Posts: 9,159
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddellianenko View Post
Davis is easily my favorite fighter in the division and I still think his raw talent and athleticism is incredible. The way he's tooled guys like Gustaf and Boetsch is quite impressive and his last fight was a ragdolling.

He didn't match up well with the #2 LHW in the world .. so what? Styles make fights and he's still a major threat style wise to Jones. He's 6-1 in the UFC, NCAA Div-I wrestling champ, World Jiu Jitsu Blue belt champ, and ONLY 28.



Yes he did, and that gives me great hope. If he manages to get to like Rashad or even Bader level in striking, I think he'd be able to threaten enough to set up his grappling more, like a LHW GSP. I see similarities between his explosive takedowns and control with GSP.



Machida and Evans are tough at his current level, but he continues to improve.

Chael and Hendo he would absolutely wipe the floor with. Davis is an even better wrestler than Chael, far more explosive, faster, athletic, younger and MUCH bigger. Chael wouldn't stand a chance grappling with this guy, name one wrestler of this level Chael has beaten? And doesn't Chael get submitted by practically every second guy with half a BJJ belt?

Hendo has zero cardio and bad TDD for a wrestler. All Davis has to do is stall and sap Hendo for a round or two, which he has shown to be good at, and Hendo would be putty in the later rounds.
How is he a threat to Jones? Because he's a wrestler with a good ground game?

Davis being ONLY 28 means nothing either, the LHW Champ is only 25. Jones wouldn't even need to take Davis down he could bust him up on the feet, he wouldn't end up in a situation with Davis like he did with Vitor.

2013 VIP FFL Champion
THE DRAGON RIDES AGAIN - 12/20/14
Machida - Alves - Cruz - JDS - Weidman - Condit - Pettis - Edgar - Cowboy - Dodson - Okami
LL is offline  
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 09:32 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manchestoorrrrrrr
Posts: 1,469
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLyotoLegion View Post
How is he a threat to Jones? Because he's a wrestler with a good ground game?

Davis being ONLY 28 means nothing either, the LHW Champ is only 25. Jones wouldn't even need to take Davis down he could bust him up on the feet, he wouldn't end up in a situation with Davis like he did with Vitor.
Even if he did end up taking down Davis and working from the guard, judging from the Rashad Evans fight he wouldn't have much trouble in dealing with Davis' bottom game and brutalising him with elbows.

Where Rashad failed to finish Phil in the crucifix position, Jones would murder him.
GrappleRetarded is offline  
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 11:10 AM
 
Toxic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: See that guy over in the window, with the binoculars?
Posts: 21,821
                     
Truth is Davis is in the same spot he was after Rashad beat him. That was a filler. gimmie, confidence builder, call it what you want but that was a fight Davis was supposed to win and beating an unranked opponent does nothing for him.

Davis is one dimensional, he can wrestle but jeez I have never seen a guy who seems to have such little idea how to close the gap and get a hold of his opponent. I feel embarrassed for him when ever he throws that awkward charge in right that he uses to get inside. Its horrible, it looks awkward and is easily telegraphed which is why he will never be an elite fighter. I don't care what anyone see's but I see zero improvement anymore and certainly not enough that he will amount to anything skill wise before his body is in decline.




"If you get hit and it hurts hit him back you not knocked out yet."-Joe Doerksen
The Toxic Terrors (FFL)
Demetrious Johnson*Eduardo Dantas*Emanuel Newton*Will Brooks*Michael Page



Toxic is offline  
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 12:02 PM
Black & Gold
 
Purgetheweak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 634
                     
It's laughable to consider him anything higher than the bottom of the top 10. He's only fought one opponent of decent quality, and he got schooled. He looked horrible against Rashad, and really didn't impress against Prado.

D. Cerrone | R. Souza | F. Werdum | R. MacDonald | M. McDonald | D. Maia | J. Mein | C. Condit
M. Coenen | S. Kaufman | A. Davis

Purgetheweak is offline  
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 12:08 PM
OU
Ultra-weight
 
OU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,080
                     
I think Davis vs Bader just makes sense. Especially with the matchups already made. The only other opponent I see for Davis is Hamill but I think Bader would be a much better test.
OU is offline  
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 12:12 PM
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
 
osmium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 6,517
                     
He is a good fighter the elites would make him look like a can though.
osmium is offline  
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 12:28 PM
KO artist
 
Liddellianenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 5,328
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLyotoLegion View Post
How is he a threat to Jones? Because he's a wrestler with a good ground game?

Davis being ONLY 28 means nothing either, the LHW Champ is only 25. Jones wouldn't even need to take Davis down he could bust him up on the feet, he wouldn't end up in a situation with Davis like he did with Vitor.
Because he is a very fast athletic wrestler with a blazing shot, and yes with a good ground game. Not the kind of slow plodding, against the cage wrestler that Jones has faced and played into his greco clinch and reach advantage strengths.

This is just opinion but I believe a fast shot that can take out his lanky base is the kind of style to counter his TDD. Hopefully Davis can improve his standup more and gain some more confidence at the elite levels before then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrappleRetarded View Post
Even if he did end up taking down Davis and working from the guard, judging from the Rashad Evans fight he wouldn't have much trouble in dealing with Davis' bottom game and brutalising him with elbows.

Where Rashad failed to finish Phil in the crucifix position, Jones would murder him.
I was thinking Davis would be the first one to take HIM down. My reasoning is above ... whether or not it would happen, it's still a better theory to test out than watching Machida or Shogun get slaughtered again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
Truth is Davis is in the same spot he was after Rashad beat him. That was a filler. gimmie, confidence builder, call it what you want but that was a fight Davis was supposed to win and beating an unranked opponent does nothing for him.

Davis is one dimensional, he can wrestle but jeez I have never seen a guy who seems to have such little idea how to close the gap and get a hold of his opponent. I feel embarrassed for him when ever he throws that awkward charge in right that he uses to get inside. Its horrible, it looks awkward and is easily telegraphed which is why he will never be an elite fighter. I don't care what anyone see's but I see zero improvement anymore and certainly not enough that he will amount to anything skill wise before his body is in decline.
Says the guy who thought Cote would make another run at the title. When was his last UFC win again?

Yes Prado was a stupid fight for a guy with a 5-1 UFC record but that's who they gave him and that's who he dominated as expected, and showcased some improvements as well.

Davis' shot isn't telegraphed, he's tooled Gustaf who has excellent TDD. He couldn't take down Rashad because Rashad has never been taken or kept down since the first Tito fight, he's among the best defensive wrestlers in the game and his standup made Davis tentative.

I'm gonna assume he learnt from his first loss to an elite fighter and go ahead and continue to root for Davis, because the guy is learning fast, has great tools, and a great attitude. I'll be there riding the train for his next fight, and if it's someone like Bader/Hendo/Sonnen I'll sig bet any one of yous.
Liddellianenko is offline  
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Lightweight
 
Fieos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,730
                     
He may be a nice guy with a developing tool kit, but he's not near the top. I can understand being a fan of the guy and wanting good things for him but when he is a grappler that got completely dominated by a guy who should be fighting at middle weight... it doesn't say good things about his chances.

Davis needs to start getting dirty in his fights... that is what wins. He needs to find his aggression and start dominating people in every aspect of the game. He fights too academically, he just doesn't strike me as someone with natural fighting instincts.
Fieos is offline  
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 12:46 PM
 
Toxic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: See that guy over in the window, with the binoculars?
Posts: 21,821
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddellianenko View Post

Says the guy who thought Cote would make another run at the title. When was his last UFC win again?

Yes Prado was a stupid fight for a guy with a 5-1 UFC record but that's who they gave him and that's who he dominated as expected, and showcased some improvements as well.

Davis' shot isn't telegraphed, he's tooled Gustaf who has excellent TDD. He couldn't take down Rashad because Rashad has never been taken or kept down since the first Tito fight, he's among the best defensive wrestlers in the game and his standup made Davis tentative.

I'm gonna assume he learnt from his first loss to an elite fighter and go ahead and continue to root for Davis, because the guy is learning fast, has great tools, and a great attitude. I'll be there riding the train for his next fight, and if it's someone like Bader/Hendo/Sonnen I'll sig bet any one of yous.
I am glad you think so highly of your own arguement that you try and discredit me first on an unrelated topic in some vain hope that it will add some kind of credibility to your claims.

But regardless, I don't see the improvements you claimed were visable in the Prado fight. He relies on his great wrestling but his shot looks forced and his transition to shooting in is not fluid. I had high hopes for Davis at one time because his wrestling is great when he can get a hold and push through. His striking was slowly coming around but truth be told I didn't see any improvement there even in his a last fight. He is bigger stronger and just as good a wrestler as Rashad its the way they move and set things up that is the difference between the two and the difference between being able to score the takedown and being stuffed by the higher level guys.




"If you get hit and it hurts hit him back you not knocked out yet."-Joe Doerksen
The Toxic Terrors (FFL)
Demetrious Johnson*Eduardo Dantas*Emanuel Newton*Will Brooks*Michael Page



Toxic is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome