The Era of Mixed Martial Entertainment Has Arrived - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 05:06 PM
Bantamweight
 
RearNaked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Swinging from Roy Nelson's nuts.
Posts: 848
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNinja View Post
I just don't understand how John Jones can justify taking a fight with Chael Sonnen. When just yesterday he said Daniel Cormier wasn't deserving He also said DC isn't that well known, but I'm pretty sure TUF would of helped with that...

This is ducking at it's finest...
I liked how in that interview with Rogan he said he didn't want to fight Chael because he was racist.
RearNaked is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 05:25 PM
Colossal-weight
 
John8204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 8,283
                     
This is about one thing and one thing only.

Money....

You know why Glover, Gustaf, and Phil aren't getting title shots, because the UFC doesn't want to pay them and then have to spend the next 5-10 years paying those guys contender level wages.

The UFC is now going to make these guys (and Jimo, Manuwa, and Magalehas) fight each other over the next year till we get one contender the UFC has to pay and not three. Chael and Belfort got title shots because they're already getting big pay checks. The UFC doesn't have to add another Main Eventer to the books.

The real victim in all of this is Alexander Gustafsson, he would have taken a title shot last month but the UFC refused to "screw around" with another event (in DECEMBER). Although they had no problem asking Shogun(Gustaf's opponent) to fight Jones. Whats the difference between the two men....$150,000 guaranteed dollars. It's a horrible catch-22 in this sport, you want a shot at the champion make sure like you are paid like a champion first and then we'll give you the shot.
John8204 is online now  
post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 07:02 PM
Black & Gold
 
Purgetheweak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 634
                     
Fighters have been getting ill-deserved title shots since the beginning of the sport, it's always been about money. You can't tell me that having Tito fight Ken three ******* times wasn't all about money.

D. Cerrone | R. Souza | F. Werdum | R. MacDonald | M. McDonald | D. Maia | J. Mein | C. Condit
M. Coenen | S. Kaufman | A. Davis

Purgetheweak is offline  
post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 07:06 PM
Black & Gold
 
Purgetheweak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 634
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by John8204 View Post
This is about one thing and one thing only.

Money....

You know why Glover, Gustaf, and Phil aren't getting title shots, because the UFC doesn't want to pay them and then have to spend the next 5-10 years paying those guys contender level wages.

The UFC is now going to make these guys (and Jimo, Manuwa, and Magalehas) fight each other over the next year till we get one contender the UFC has to pay and not three. Chael and Belfort got title shots because they're already getting big pay checks. The UFC doesn't have to add another Main Eventer to the books.

The real victim in all of this is Alexander Gustafsson, he would have taken a title shot last month but the UFC refused to "screw around" with another event (in DECEMBER). Although they had no problem asking Shogun(Gustaf's opponent) to fight Jones. Whats the difference between the two men....$150,000 guaranteed dollars. It's a horrible catch-22 in this sport, you want a shot at the champion make sure like you are paid like a champion first and then we'll give you the shot.

Lol, Jimo, Manuwa and Magalhaes have all had one fight in the UFC... So that's all it takes to fight Jones now?

D. Cerrone | R. Souza | F. Werdum | R. MacDonald | M. McDonald | D. Maia | J. Mein | C. Condit
M. Coenen | S. Kaufman | A. Davis

Purgetheweak is offline  
post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 07:47 PM
It Lurks...
 
evilappendix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NOLA
Posts: 605
                     
They should have made it Cormier vs Sonnen for TUF. Then we could see Fhael get shut down in the coaching department as well as fighting. I also don't see Jones being a very good coach with his head so far up his own ass coupled with the fact Fhael doesn't deserve to wash John's jock strap in his mouth, let alone get an immediate title shot against him. I didn't realize sh*t talk is a major component of mma now. In that case, step aside Anderson/Fedor/GSP I'm the new GOAT and I'm here to stay.
evilappendix is offline  
post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 07:48 PM
Colossal-weight
 
John8204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 8,283
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purgetheweak View Post
Lol, Jimo, Manuwa and Magalhaes have all had one fight in the UFC... So that's all it takes to fight Jones now?
That's one more win Chael Sonnen has at LHW in the UFC
John8204 is online now  
post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 08:02 PM
The 45%
 
ClydebankBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 12,222
Blog Entries: 2
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by John8204 View Post
This is about one thing and one thing only.

Money....

You know why Glover, Gustaf, and Phil aren't getting title shots, because the UFC doesn't want to pay them and then have to spend the next 5-10 years paying those guys contender level wages.

The UFC is now going to make these guys (and Jimo, Manuwa, and Magalehas) fight each other over the next year till we get one contender the UFC has to pay and not three. Chael and Belfort got title shots because they're already getting big pay checks. The UFC doesn't have to add another Main Eventer to the books.

The real victim in all of this is Alexander Gustafsson, he would have taken a title shot last month but the UFC refused to "screw around" with another event (in DECEMBER). Although they had no problem asking Shogun(Gustaf's opponent) to fight Jones. Whats the difference between the two men....$150,000 guaranteed dollars. It's a horrible catch-22 in this sport, you want a shot at the champion make sure like you are paid like a champion first and then we'll give you the shot.
Ridiculous argument. Big name contenders = money. If the UFC had more contenders, they would be able to stack cards like 151 more, or they would be able to have bigger free main events than Browne/Bigfoot and Struve/Miocic. The reason Phil isnt getting a title shot is because he has 1 win in 3 fights. He just lost a title eliminator which would have gotten him a title shot. He has that oppertunity and he lost. Glover has JUST became 2-0 in the UFC, and almost got knocked out by a near finished Maldonado. Sure he was really impressive but you've got Hendo coming off a win over Fedor and a FOTY, why would Glover be ANYWHERE near to Hendo for a title shot? And last of all is Gus. Gus has one great fight on his record..Davis, what happened again? He's being given the opertunity to fight for probably the #1 contendership now against a big name fighter, who is probably the weakest out of everyone with "big name status". Gus has a much easier task then he would being given Hendo, Glover, Machida, Evans etc.

You like the up and comers, cool, I'm with you, hopefully they become big name fighters. But no one wants them to become big name fighers more than the UFC. The reason Vitor was given a title shot over Gus/Davis/Glover is because people want to see a legend like Vitor fight over a "guy with potential". They arent ready yet, give them time to become the big name superstars they have the potential to be. Gus has some big wins together and thats why he has the biggest test of his career and a number 1 contendership coming up. Glover is 2-0 against non-contenders and Davis is rebulding his oppertunity, whats your problem?

ClydebankBlitz is offline  
post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 08:04 PM
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 561
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerlock2.0 View Post
Don't kid yourself, it has been like this from the very beginning. Shamrock and Tito say 'hi!'.
I somewhat agree - it's just never been as obvious until now.

Another way I look at it is this;
The UFC travels to Canada, Brazil, Japan and the UK several times each year. When they do so, the cards are loaded up with fighters from the "home" country. It's unreasonable to think that the UFC can do this, without somewhere along the line overlooking some of the most deserving, and the most competitive fights. They book the fights that will sell when they travel to these countries, and not necessarily the most competitive fights.

They are in the business of selling tickets and PPVs, and if there has to be a compromise between ratings/sales and quality/competitiveness of fights, ratings/sales will take priority. (especially when ratings are struggling).

Last edited by RedRocket44; 10-17-2012 at 08:09 PM.
RedRocket44 is offline  
post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 08:37 PM
Colossal-weight
 
John8204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 8,283
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydebankBlitz View Post
The reason Phil isnt getting a title shot is because he has 1 win in 3 fights. He just lost a title eliminator which would have gotten him a title shot.
He also has one loss in his career, a loss might I add coming off a knee injury. Regardless a decision loss to Rashad shouldn't push a fighter back a year and half especially when the men who are getting the shot before him either lost to Jones himself, or don't fight in the division.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydebankBlitz View Post
Glover has JUST became 2-0 in the UFC, and almost got knocked out by a near finished Maldonado. Sure he was really impressive but you've got Hendo coming off a win over Fedor and a FOTY, why would Glover be ANYWHERE near to Hendo for a title shot?
Since when is one punch a finish, Maldonado is a tough guy and he hit Glover hard but I must of missed the part where stumbling backwards is "almost knocked out", he wasn't dropped, he didn't lose the round. The man is one a 16 fight win streak, 7 of which against current or former UFC fighters is the protege of Chuck Liddell and should be one fight away from a title shot not a year away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydebankBlitz View Post
And last of all is Gus. Gus has one great fight on his record..Davis, what happened again?
Alexander rocked him, they went back and forth and Davis was able to land a submission with 5 seconds left in the first. But yeah Gustaf is terrible, 6-1 in the UFC 12 finishes out of 15 fights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydebankBlitz View Post
He's being given the opertunity to fight for probably the #1 contendership now against a big name fighter, who is probably the weakest out of everyone with "big name status". Gus has a much easier task then he would being given Hendo, Glover, Machida, Evans etc.
You have some balls to call my argument ridiculous when you post this. Let's go through all the crazy in this one statement.
  • Number 1 contender...in december when Jones wouldn't be able to fight someone else till August/Sep of next year.
  • hard than Rashad and Hendo who aren't fighting.
  • Shogun is the weakest of the big names, so weak he's earned four UFC title shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydebankBlitz View Post
You like the up and comers, cool, I'm with you, hopefully they become big name fighters. But no one wants them to become big name fighers more than the UFC. The reason Vitor was given a title shot over Gus/Davis/Glover is because people want to see a legend like Vitor fight over a "guy with potential". They arent ready yet, give them time to become the big name superstars they have the potential to be.
Up and Comers really? those are top ten Light Heavyweights they've moved beyond "potential" and should be in the mix for title opportunities, not put on a shelf for a year, so people an hear Chael make a funny. Nobody wanted to called for Vitor to get a title shot but the UFC. And when in the blue moon does being "ready" have anything to do with the LHW title. This isn't the WW title, it doesn't take 2 years to get a shot. Machida lost his title fight in December and "earned" another in August.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydebankBlitz View Post
Gus has some big wins together and thats why he has the biggest test of his career and a number 1 contendership coming up. Glover is 2-0 against non-contenders and Davis is rebulding his oppertunity, whats your problem?
My problem is we haven't had two legitimate LHW's fight for the title since April 2012, we aren't going to see two legitimate LHW's fight for the title till August/September 2013. Kenny Florian, Dan Hardy, Cain Velasquez, Urijah Faber, Frank Mir, Chael Sonnen, Shogun Rua, and Lyoto Machida can all get title shots with one or two fights, but guys like Glover, Gustaf, and Davis have to jump through a dozen hoops and wait years for their opportunities. It's backroom politics and it's sickening.
John8204 is online now  
post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 08:52 PM
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 561
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydebankBlitz View Post
Ridiculous argument. Big name contenders = money.
Not as much as already established names, even if that established name is completely undeserving of a shot in a weight class that he has never won a single fight in.

More people will pay for JBJ/Chael than JBJ/Phil or Gustav or Glover.

Florian managed to get a shot at Aldo after 1 win at featherweight.

It's all about who you are, and what the UFC is trying to promote. Florian was a well-known fighter, but could never quite get to the top. But he was known, and liked, and the UFC was trying to promote the new featherweight division.

The UFC is NOT in the business of putting the two most deserving fighters together. They are in the business of selling PPVs and tickets. If they can put the best two fighters together in the process, it's an added bonus to them, otherwise its all about the benjamins.
RedRocket44 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome