The Era of Mixed Martial Entertainment Has Arrived - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 10-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
HiiiPoWeR
 
Rauno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Estonia
Posts: 15,567
Rauno Is A God Among MenRauno Is A God Among MenRauno Is A God Among MenRauno Is A God Among MenRauno Is A God Among MenRauno Is A God Among MenRauno Is A God Among MenRauno Is A God Among MenRauno Is A God Among MenRauno Is A God Among MenRauno Is A God Among Men
The Era of Mixed Martial Entertainment Has Arrived

Quote:
The UFC stamped a message loud and clear this week with the decision to forgo the spirit of competition in favor of spirited banter by awarding Chael Sonnen a shot at Jon Jones’ light heavyweight title. In summation, the company is now approaching Mixed Martial Arts as though it’s actually Mixed Martial Entertainment. Vince McMahon would be proud. Me? Not so much.

Sonnen’s unprecedented booking in a bout men far more deserving were overlooked for is a slap in the face of any fan or fighter who held out hope that the UFC favored performance above all else…other than performance in front of a microphone/camera, that is. Gone are the days where it truly matters if you are a streaking veteran, former champion, Muay Thai master, Golden Gloves prodigy, BJJ blackbelt, Olympic medalist, or NCAA All-American. Taking their place is the new breed of fighter – a man who may not always win in the end but can cut a promo like no other.
In the immortal words of Forrest Griffin, who had the following to say of Sonnen’s chance at Jones’ championship on UFC Tonight, “Why work your way to the top when you can talk your way to the top?”
Let’s be completely clear about the situation – Sonnen called Jones out repeatedly after stepping up on short notice as a replacement and being rejected, the UFC was desperate to try and spark some additional interest in the Ultimate Fighter franchise, “Bones” compromised his principles, and the whole thing will be marketed as giving people what they supposedly want. Equally obvious in the equation, Sonnen has no right jumping Dan Henderson, Alexander Gustafsson, Lyoto Machida, Mauricio Rua, or even Glover Teixeira if the UFC professes to care about the purity of sport like every other major league does.

The 27-12-1 Sonnen has never notched a victory in the UFC as a light heavyweight, has scored a single stoppage inside the Octagon in more than three years since re-joining the promotion, has a ten-inch reach disadvantage, is smaller in general, is one-dimensional in a department Jones is completely competent in, and also happens to be 2-2 in his last two tilts with both losses involving a finish including his most recent appearance in the cage. Realistically, Sonnen’s takedowns are not going to work against a much larger guy who has literally put on his backside a single time in his UFC career, and he lacks the power as well as overall technique to put Jones away while standing. Comparably, Jones is more athletic and polished in numerous disciplines, possessing a variety of ways to end his adversary’s evening.
And yet, based on his sometimes comical, sometimes cringe-worthy rants Sonnen has been given a crack at perhaps the most valuable prize in the game. This is a strap that’s been worn by the likes of Hall of Famers Tito Ortiz, Chuck Liddell, and Randy Couture as well as some of the best in the game today, not an oversized beltbuckle with a changeable nameplate and spinner up front.

There’s nothing wrong with factoring marketability into matchmaking. Every sport has an entertainment component involved and that’s okay. But, it should never be the primary focus of the product being sold. Fans want to see the best quarterback trying to lead their team to glory, not a career back-up who hasn’t ever won the big game but “has the biggest arms, the greatest charm, and does the most harm”; they aren’t interested in it being the bottom of the ninth in the World Series with the guy who is “better than Sean Combs” and “better than John Holmes” up to bat unless he’s clutch. And Sonnen is most certainly not that. Just ask Anderson Silva or, for that matter, Demian Maia if you have any doubt.
When the dust finally settles, the two will face off on TUF, Sonnen will talk smack, Jones will try to do the same but fail more often than not, the eventual bout will lead to an entertaining but obvious victory for the supremely skilled 25-year old, and life will move on. The silver-tongued Sonnen’s elevation from a former middleweight coming off a defeat to #1 contender at light heavyweight is by no means the end of the world but rather a “fun fight” loads of folks will tune in for. It is, however, the end of the any innocence still remaining in the evolution of the UFC, and that, in my opinion, marks a somewhat sad day in MMA history.
Fiveouncesofpain

An article i think you guy's would find interesting.
__________________
Rauno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 10-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Featherweight
 
js9234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Currently stationed in Abilene, TX
Posts: 1,166
js9234 has much to be proud ofjs9234 has much to be proud ofjs9234 has much to be proud ofjs9234 has much to be proud ofjs9234 has much to be proud ofjs9234 has much to be proud ofjs9234 has much to be proud ofjs9234 has much to be proud ofjs9234 has much to be proud ofjs9234 has much to be proud ofjs9234 has much to be proud of
I don't see what their is to debate. Not sure how anyone could see it differently unless I'm just missing something.
js9234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
It's Hammer Time!
 
Hammerlock2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 8,389
Hammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Don't kid yourself, it has been like this from the very beginning. Shamrock and Tito say 'hi!'.
Hammerlock2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
Servatose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 959
Servatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level now
There are clear flaws in this argument. First is that it fails to mention that Sonnen is a top-level athlete and probably the #2 MW. The article seems to imply that entertainment is valued more than competitive level, which is absurd. Think of the match ups we'd see if that were even close to true.

There's also no denying the fact that they're giving us the fights the majority of fans want to see. What it fails to mention is that the reason Chael vs Jones is happening is because more people will buy it. IE, more people want to see it.

That article is no more than a fine example of the fickle and often clouded sense of logic that comes with the majority of MMA fans.
__________________
vBookie: 30-12
Servatose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Featherweight
 
js9234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Currently stationed in Abilene, TX
Posts: 1,166
js9234 has much to be proud ofjs9234 has much to be proud ofjs9234 has much to be proud ofjs9234 has much to be proud ofjs9234 has much to be proud ofjs9234 has much to be proud ofjs9234 has much to be proud ofjs9234 has much to be proud ofjs9234 has much to be proud ofjs9234 has much to be proud ofjs9234 has much to be proud of
Seriously? The bolded part made me lol after your argument... I can't take you serious now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Servatose View Post
There are clear flaws in this argument. First is that it fails to mention that Sonnen is a top-level athlete and probably the #2 MW. The article seems to imply that entertainment is valued more than competitive level, which is absurd. Think of the match ups we'd see if that were even close to true.

There's also no denying the fact that they're giving us the fights the majority of fans want to see. What it fails to mention is that the reason Chael vs Jones is happening is because more people will buy it. IE, more people want to see it.

That article is no more than a fine example of the fickle and often clouded sense of logic that comes with the majority of MMA fans.
js9234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
LL
Rough Sex and Banana Pudding
 
LL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dance Class with Dom.
Posts: 8,429
LL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Servatose View Post
There are clear flaws in this argument. First is that it fails to mention that Sonnen is a top-level athlete and probably the #2 MW. The article seems to imply that entertainment is valued more than competitive level, which is absurd. Think of the match ups we'd see if that were even close to true.

There's also no denying the fact that they're giving us the fights the majority of fans want to see. What it fails to mention is that the reason Chael vs Jones is happening is because more people will buy it. IE, more people want to see it.

That article is no more than a fine example of the fickle and often clouded sense of logic that comes with the majority of MMA fans.
Tim Boetsch, Mark Munoz, and Brian Stann are also highly ranked at Middleweight. How'd they fare at LHW?

Sonnen hasn't done anything to warrant a shot at the 205 lb strap.
__________________
THE PERFECT STORM

THE PERFECT RECORD

THE PERFECT FIGHTER
LL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
of Nazareth
 
Soojooko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Moon
Posts: 7,882
Soojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF Material
Pfft

What was Rockys record before they gave him a shot at Apollo?
Soojooko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
HiiiPoWeR
 
Rauno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Estonia
Posts: 15,567
Rauno Is A God Among MenRauno Is A God Among MenRauno Is A God Among MenRauno Is A God Among MenRauno Is A God Among MenRauno Is A God Among MenRauno Is A God Among MenRauno Is A God Among MenRauno Is A God Among MenRauno Is A God Among MenRauno Is A God Among Men
Quote:
Originally Posted by Servatose View Post
First is that it fails to mention that Sonnen is a top-level athlete and probably the #2 MW.
The fight is at LHW. A weight class his never been victorious in. Also his coming off a loss. I really want to see someone justify this match-up. I'm not saying i hate this match or i don't want to see it. I love it and want to see it but it's just not reasonable.
__________________
Rauno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
of Nazareth
 
Soojooko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Moon
Posts: 7,882
Soojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauno View Post
but it's just not reasonable.
And there lies the crux of it. Some people dig reason, order and method. Others like chaos and absurdity. One group can never convince the other of anything. This fight is definitely in the latter camp. As am I.
Soojooko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
Servatose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 959
Servatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level nowServatose is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by js9234 View Post
Seriously? The bolded part made me lol after your argument... I can't take you serious now.
I didn't expound upon that as much as I should have. Often times hype takes precedence over logic, especially in an analytical environment such as a forum. I'm not someone who particularly subscribes to hype, so when someone like the article writer graps an idea and not only runs with it by making facts seem skewed, but presenting incomplete information and then creating a declaration like he has is absurd.

Quote:
Tim Boetsch, Mark Munoz, and Brian Stann are also highly ranked at Middleweight. How'd they fare at LHW?

Sonnen hasn't done anything to warrant a shot at the 205 lb strap.
This is true. Sonnen hasn't fought at LHW yet, and perhaps doesn't truly deserve the shot. But saying he's getting the shot purely because of his entertainment ability is off as well. He's a skilled fighter who put the fighter many consider to be the most skilled P4P fighter in the most danger he's ever been in. Albeit a different weight class, this is still something that contributes to his resume as an athlete, and I believe this situation is further complicated because of how much of the LHW's top contendors have been cleared out by Jones.
__________________
vBookie: 30-12
Servatose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios