Dana: "UFC Women's division absolutely going to happen" - Page 5 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 03:34 PM
LL
Cruz Control
 
LL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ocean Front Property in Arizona.
Posts: 9,159
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by evzbc View Post
The fact of the matter is, the talent pool is just so small.

I'm a fan of Ronda, and I've enjoyed some awesome female MMA matches, but they really need to think about their audience here...

Who do they think they are doing this for? Do they think they will attract MORE female fans? Highly doubtful.

Most casual fans already don't care much about the lighter weight classes. I think the UFC needs to channel their efforts on keeping their existing fans happy before it's too late.
I think you're not quite aware of the market the UFC attracts, Women fighting, rolling around on the ground in short shorts could be a huge boost to the UFC.

Think a lot of people are under estimating what Women's MMA could do for the UFC, Rhonda can be huge for them and if the UFC has a Women's division I wouldn't be shocked if Gina came back for a fight, they need to make it Women's 140 though.

2013 VIP FFL Champion
THE DRAGON RIDES AGAIN - 12/20/14
Machida - Alves - Cruz - JDS - Weidman - Condit - Pettis - Edgar - Cowboy - Dodson - Okami
LL is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Welterweight
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,225
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by RearNaked View Post
There's so much wrong with this mentality that I can't even get into it here as it will completely derail the thread.

But my counter-argument would include things like pre-civil rights movement society, pre-women's suffrage society, apartheid states, the holocaust, shark fin soup, anti-abortionists...

In short it would include a lot of examples of the people who were right triumphing over the social norms of an ignorant society.
I didn't say I agreed with society, I just said that if you're running a business then you have to care about what society thinks, because that is your market. To use your Holocaust analogy, imagine if I tried to open a Jewish Deli in Nazi Germany. From a moral perspective, there is nothing wrong with that. But from a business perspective, my Deli would get shut down overnight. See the difference? I'm not talking about morality here, I'm talking about business.
Dtwizzy2k5 is offline  
post #43 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Welterweight
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,225
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmanshand View Post
Explain why Invicta does so well then? Or all the attention Gina and now Rousey get in the media?
Invicta doesn't do "so well". In fact, nobody outside of these forums have ever even heard of Invicta. I didn't even know about Invicta until I came on these forums, and I'm a big MMA fan. Only in your extremely miopic diehard MMA fanboy perspective is Invicta a big company or Gina and Rousey big superstars. 99% of people I'm sure have never even heard of Gina or Rousey.
Dtwizzy2k5 is offline  
post #44 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 05:04 PM
Bantamweight
 
evzbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 597
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLyotoLegion View Post
I think you're not quite aware of the market the UFC attracts, Women fighting, rolling around on the ground in short shorts could be a huge boost to the UFC.

Think a lot of people are under estimating what Women's MMA could do for the UFC, Rhonda can be huge for them and if the UFC has a Women's division I wouldn't be shocked if Gina came back for a fight, they need to make it Women's 140 though.
I'm completely aware of the audience which is why I acknowledge that the casual fans will be interested in watching the more attractive or super elite females fight, but how many are there really? Enough to warrant an entire division??

This is really going to fizzle for them FAST. They are trying to do too much at once hoping that one of the things will catch on.

Would you rather watch Gina fight, or GSP?

At the end of the day, I think most fight fans would rather watch two dudes brutally duke it out.
evzbc is offline  
post #45 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 926
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLyotoLegion View Post
I think you're not quite aware of the market the UFC attracts, Women fighting, rolling around on the ground in short shorts could be a huge boost to the UFC.

Think a lot of people are under estimating what Women's MMA could do for the UFC, Rhonda can be huge for them and if the UFC has a Women's division I wouldn't be shocked if Gina came back for a fight, they need to make it Women's 140 though.
Probably but before Rousey came along and when Santos was cleaning out ladies left and right, women fights did poorly in Strikeforce. It may take more time than it should, but their will always be the majority out there that dont want to see women get their face pounded in, when as a Society, we are taught you arent even allowed to poke a woman if you want to risk going to jail.

I am not opposed to the idea of Womens MMA, im not. But thier is a huge difference when someone says "I dont think their is a problem", and by actually watching and supporting it. A Politician could support our Troops to a crowd, but he sure as hell wont let his Son enlist. I dont think a whole Women's League will be successful, so I doubt Invicta will last long. I think having a women match here and there in the UFC is the way to go like with Strikeforce. But be prepared to add a "Woman Fight" with a "Flyweight Fight" on a list where people would rather go to the concession stands and washrooms than sit and watch it. It might be morally wrong to think this way, but its going to be the truth for at least a couple of years. But as long as the people are already in the building waiting to see the other fights, it wont sting as bad.

Last edited by Buakaw_GSP; 10-24-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Buakaw_GSP is offline  
post #46 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 05:39 PM
LL
Cruz Control
 
LL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ocean Front Property in Arizona.
Posts: 9,159
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by evzbc View Post
I'm completely aware of the audience which is why I acknowledge that the casual fans will be interested in watching the more attractive or super elite females fight, but how many are there really? Enough to warrant an entire division??

This is really going to fizzle for them FAST. They are trying to do too much at once hoping that one of the things will catch on.

Would you rather watch Gina fight, or GSP?

At the end of the day, I think most fight fans would rather watch two dudes brutally duke it out.
I like watching them both, there was a point when I wasn't high on WMMA but in the last two years I've really come around, I think Tate vs. Kedzie is one of the best fights of the year.

Invicta is also building talent, I think the UFC would be wise to swoop that up if they do bring a Women's Division to the UFC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buakaw_GSP View Post
Probably but before Rousey came along and when Santos was cleaning out ladies left and right, women fights did poorly in Strikeforce. It may take more time than it should, but their will always be the majority out there that dont want to see women get their face pounded in, when as a Society, we are taught you arent even allowed to poke a woman if you want to risk going to jail.

I am not opposed to the idea of Womens MMA, im not. But thier is a huge difference when someone says "I dont think their is a problem", and by actually watching and supporting it. A Politician could support our Troops to a crowd, but he sure as hell wont let his Son enlist. I dont think a whole Women's League will be successful, so I doubt Invicta will last long. I think having a women match here and there in the UFC is the way to go like with Strikeforce. But be prepared to add a "Woman Fight" with a "Flyweight Fight" on a list where people would rather go to the concession stands and washrooms than sit and watch it. It might be morally wrong to think this way, but its going to be the truth for at least a couple of years. But as long as the people are already in the building waiting to see the other fights, it wont sting as bad.
I think the time is now, Women's MMA has really come along way in the last two years and it's not just because of Ronda Rousey but she is the key and the centerpiece and I think she'd have a huge following in the UFC. It just depends on how the fanbase comes around, will the 18-32 male demographic like watching girls fight and roll around on the ground? I think they will.

2013 VIP FFL Champion
THE DRAGON RIDES AGAIN - 12/20/14
Machida - Alves - Cruz - JDS - Weidman - Condit - Pettis - Edgar - Cowboy - Dodson - Okami
LL is offline  
post #47 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 08:55 PM
Featherweight
 
hadoq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,149
                     
I'm sure none of the anti-wmma posters never seen an actual WMMA event like they used to have in Japan or like Invicta now. they just want huge dudes, haymakers and 1st round KO.

if it ever gets more technical than that, then they qualify it as "boring" because there's actual thinking involved and well, when you're an idiot, you usually don't like stuff that involves brain activity.

There is very good talent in WMMA and it only needs a good promotion to grow exponentially.

Because WMMA may also bring another kind of fan, maybe more women will tune in and watch UFC, maybe it'll finally ease up on the "violent and brutal" image of the UFC for numerous non-fans.

Just realize, all of you anti wmma, you have the EXACT same attitude towards WMMA as the ones who say MMA is nothing but a bunch of roided tanks swinging at each other until one falls down.

the attitude of those who don't know what they're talking about, but would rather remain in the wrong than actually learning something and open their mind.

my 2cts, flame away now. I'm out of this topic.
hadoq is offline  
post #48 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Osiris (HD 209458 B)
Posts: 958
                     
I like the idea of a women's division about much as I like the 125 lb division right now, I can do without either.

Their just isn't enough talent to create a meaningful division for wmma in the UFC right now. I would be willing to watch a wmma super fight a few times a year, but never on a PPV main card.
TheAuger is offline  
post #49 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 09:59 PM
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 926
                     
@hadoq, you make it sound like we are scum and we MMA fans are the only one that thinks like this. But Male Sports always outperform thier Female Counterparts for a reason. The only one that really accepted are Women's World Cup Soccer and the WNBA, but even they cannot beat the Men's World Cup Soccer or the NBA. Im sorry but thats just the way it is, we can say this and that, but facts are facts. Womens MMA will be accepted eventually but it will never be on par with Male MMA, even if they both are in the UFC and Dana White pushes Womens MMA and Rousey to high hell. He is doing an admirable job though. Dana White managed to promote more pub for Rousey and Womens MMA by talking than Scott Coker ever could by promoting actual Women Bouts.
Buakaw_GSP is offline  
post #50 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Featherweight
 
Iuanes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,426
                     
Sounds like Dana is looking for a vehicle for Ronda instead of caring that much about a women's division. I'm all for a women's division if it could work, but it can't rise and fall with one person.
Iuanes is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome