IMO UFC 154 Main Card is Pretty Weak - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Colossal-weight
 
John8204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 8,967
                     
The real obscenity is Steven Siler vs Darren Elkins on the prelims. Both guys are on 3 fight win streaks against decent competition and are 1 additional win away from a title shot.
John8204 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Super Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,363
                     
The fighters are on the card because they are Canadians or TriStar fighters and are decently known and for the most part somewhat relevant in their respective weight classes. GSP, Carmont, Ring and Hominick all fall into that category.

Cote, Stout, Makdessi, Bocek and Menjivar also fall into this category on the prelims.

The problem is that for the UFC to have put a really good Canadian based show together they would have needed MacDonald on this card as well since he really is the only top level Canadian fighter right now outside of GSP.

As for this card Lawlor although not a great fighter is usually entertaining and I am guessing that this match up with Carmont will actually end up being a pretty good fight, maybe even fight of the night.

Ring vs Costa should be a decent fight as well and I think both guys are fairly closely matched. I think it is more of a fight night main card fight instead of a PPV fight but given the Canadian choices I can see why they went with this.

Out of all the fights on the main card the only one I am really disappointed in is the Hominick Garza fight. The only reason it is there is because Hominick is a Canadian fighter with a decently known name. His 3 losses might be a little unfair to look at(great fight against Aldo and then flash KO against KZ) but he still has 3 losses and Garza has 2 which imo isn't main event quality.

Imo Bocek vs Dos Anjos should be swapped as it will likely be a decent fight and both fighters are more relevant in their division at this time. Bocek is also Canadian and is well known enough.

As for Siler vs Elkins. No Canadian in that match but it should be a fun one. I wouldn't call it main event worthy though as both are relatively unknown to many of the MMA casuals since neither has fought on a main card of any sort yet. I do expect the winner to see a substantial step up in competition though and will probably be on a main card in there next fight(likely a free card depending on opponent).

The problem that the UFC has with this card is that they are trying to cater to the Montreal/Canadian fans by giving them their own fighters like they do whenever they have cards in other countries. Unfortunately there isn't the talent to really do so and there have been enough cards here now that it gets kind of old seeing the same old fighters again and again. Overall I think this card will be ok but I don't really predict much in the way of fireworks.
420atalon is offline  
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Bantamweight
 
HaVoK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 619
                     
I'm not impressed by your opinion.

See what I did there?!

Kidding aside, I am interested and I will definitely be watching.
HaVoK is offline  
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 03:01 PM
LL
Cruz Control
 
LL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ocean Front Property in Arizona.
Posts: 9,159
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420atalon View Post
The fighters are on the card because they are Canadians or TriStar fighters and are decently known and for the most part somewhat relevant in their respective weight classes. GSP, Carmont, Ring and Hominick all fall into that category.

Cote, Stout, Makdessi, Bocek and Menjivar also fall into this category on the prelims.

The problem is that for the UFC to have put a really good Canadian based show together they would have needed MacDonald on this card as well since he really is the only top level Canadian fighter right now outside of GSP.

As for this card Lawlor although not a great fighter is usually entertaining and I am guessing that this match up with Carmont will actually end up being a pretty good fight, maybe even fight of the night.

Ring vs Costa should be a decent fight as well and I think both guys are fairly closely matched. I think it is more of a fight night main card fight instead of a PPV fight but given the Canadian choices I can see why they went with this.

Out of all the fights on the main card the only one I am really disappointed in is the Hominick Garza fight. The only reason it is there is because Hominick is a Canadian fighter with a decently known name. His 3 losses might be a little unfair to look at(great fight against Aldo and then flash KO against KZ) but he still has 3 losses and Garza has 2 which imo isn't main event quality.

Imo Bocek vs Dos Anjos should be swapped as it will likely be a decent fight and both fighters are more relevant in their division at this time. Bocek is also Canadian and is well known enough.

As for Siler vs Elkins. No Canadian in that match but it should be a fun one. I wouldn't call it main event worthy though as both are relatively unknown to many of the MMA casuals since neither has fought on a main card of any sort yet. I do expect the winner to see a substantial step up in competition though and will probably be on a main card in there next fight(likely a free card depending on opponent).

The problem that the UFC has with this card is that they are trying to cater to the Montreal/Canadian fans by giving them their own fighters like they do whenever they have cards in other countries. Unfortunately there isn't the talent to really do so and there have been enough cards here now that it gets kind of old seeing the same old fighters again and again. Overall I think this card will be ok but I don't really predict much in the way of fireworks.
Yeah, I'm surprised by the lack of 'elite' Canadian fighters, there's GSP and Rory, everyone else is kind of mid-tier-ish. Nothing compared to Brazil who have three champs and guys like Barao, Machida, Shogun, Belfort, etc.

2013 VIP FFL Champion
THE DRAGON RIDES AGAIN - 12/20/14
Machida - Alves - Cruz - JDS - Weidman - Condit - Pettis - Edgar - Cowboy - Dodson - Okami
LL is offline  
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 03:17 PM
Super Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,363
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLyotoLegion View Post
Yeah, I'm surprised by the lack of 'elite' Canadian fighters, there's GSP and Rory, everyone else is kind of mid-tier-ish. Nothing compared to Brazil who have three champs and guys like Barao, Machida, Shogun, Belfort, etc.
Really its the same as Canada is in the majority of sports outside of Hockey. One or two top athletes but then just a bunch of mediocre guys.

I think it is mainly because although we are a huge nation our population is quite small(only ~ 35 mil, less then California) and the majority of our good athletes grow up playing hockey and choose that for a career.

I used to wonder the same thing about comparing us to Brazil but their population is over 6 times larger then ours and fighting is probably the most popular sport there outside of soccer.

It does surprise me that we don't have more top young prospects stepping up for the future but the only reason I can think of that explains that is that we only have the one high quality MMA gym in TriStar. The rest of the country is either forced to go train there or is stuck with mediocre training and doing small shows. That is even more of an issue with TriStar being in Quebec and having a large French presence(much of Canada especially the west do not care for the French/Quebec population).
420atalon is offline  
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 03:20 PM
You're Welcome.
 
Canadian Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Eh?
Posts: 7,723
                     
**** Quebec.
Canadian Psycho is offline  
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Bantamweight
 
evzbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 597
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWays222 View Post
Simple Solution

Dont buy it.
Way to contribute to the thread.

Anyways, I agree with the op. It's frustrating as a fight fan when you want to see JUST the main event but don't want to cough up $60 + tax just to see it. Sure it's always great seeing the other fights too, but not for that kind of money.

It's a bit disappointing. If one of the fighters gets injured it'll be UFC 151 all over again.
evzbc is offline  
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 04:35 PM
You're Welcome.
 
Canadian Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Eh?
Posts: 7,723
                     
I catch your drift, but unlike UFC 151, the co-main is here fairly awesome. For a shot at the WW title, no less.

I don't get why people are so offended by the 'don't buy it' retort. It really is that simple. You have the freedom to rant and rave about an event, but you also have the choice to not purchase it. Go to a bar and watch it for free. Stream it for free. Wait until the event is over and then download it for free. It's not as though you're being forced to buy a subpar event. The choice is entirely yours. And when there are literally a dozen no-cost alternatives, there's really no reason to lose sleep or shed tears.
Canadian Psycho is offline  
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Bantamweight
 
evzbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 597
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Psycho View Post
I catch your drift, but unlike UFC 151, the co-main is here fairly awesome. For a shot at the WW title, no less.

I don't get why people are so offended by the 'don't buy it' retort. It really is that simple. You have the freedom to rant and rave about an event, but you also have the choice to not purchase it. Go to a bar and watch it for free. Stream it for free. Wait until the event is over and then download it for free. It's not as though you're being forced to buy a subpar event. The choice is entirely yours. And when there are literally a dozen no-cost alternatives, there's really no reason to lose sleep or shed tears.
Yes but the discussion is not whether or not we are going to PAY for the event. The discussion is purely based on whether on you think it's a weak card.

We know we don't have to buy it and won't. It's just SO obvious. It's like "Thanks Captain Obvious".
evzbc is offline  
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 05:02 PM
You're Welcome.
 
Canadian Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Eh?
Posts: 7,723
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by evzbc View Post
Yes but the discussion is not whether or not we are going to PAY for the event. The discussion is purely based on whether on you think it's a weak card.

We know we don't have to buy it and won't. It's just SO obvious. It's like "Thanks Captain Obvious".
Actually, it is. The OP ended his rant with, 'I know many of you illegally stream the event, but I have morals and actually buy everything I watch...' He therefore brought payment into the equation. A natural and entirely valid reaction to his final point would be, 'If you don't like it, don't pay for it'.
Canadian Psycho is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome