Eddie Alvarez released by Bellator, but they still hold matching rights - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 11-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
OU
BOOMER SOONER
 
OU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,047
OU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLyotoLegion View Post
Lombard was being hyped up as the man to fight Silva, everyone expected him to come in, lay Boetsch out in brutal fashion and they would do then hype up his big undefeated streak and the way he won those fights vs. Anderson. Lombard came in and he laid a huge egg and he's not the only man to do this, Jake Shields has yet to turn in a good performance and probably would have lost to Martin Kampmann back in his debut, had Kampmann not fought like a jackass and tried to grapple with him, so the UFC 'jitters' may be a real thing and Alvarez might succumb to those.

I would love to see Alvarez vs. Miller, I think that's a great fight and it's a winnable fight for him too since I don't think Jim Miller's that great, the problem with Alvarez is while all his fights are exciting he always ends up getting rocked so I don't see him being Champ because Maynard, Pettis, and Cerrone would probably polish him off but he is a legit top ten guy and should be paid accordingly. The upside to being with the UFC is far greater than Bellator, with the possibility of fighting on FOX and big name sponsors and what not.
Ohh man I disagree big time. IMO I'd rather see Showtime vs Eddie for a #1 contender fight and let Cowboy take on someone else. IMO that is what SHOULD happen. But it probably won't. Miller has the name but isn't he coming off a loss? Eddie wouldn't have alot to gain in that fight IMO other then getting his octagon debut out of the way.
OU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 11-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
 
Toxic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: See that guy over in the window, with the binoculars?
Posts: 20,898
Toxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among Men
Alvarez wasn't released by Bellator he met his contractual obligations and became a free agent. Unless I am missing something the point of what Bellator was doing was they are waiving there 90 day matching clause so that Eddie can negotiate with outside promotions in good faith. That is what they did with Hector and it makes sense because they understand there place in the industry. Bellator needed to do that especially since they way they treated the Tyson Nam situation enforcing a 18 month clause on a fighter they released without ever competing.
__________________



"If you get hit and it hurts hit him back you not knocked out yet."-Joe Doerksen
The Toxic Terrors (FFL)
Demetrious Johnson*Eduardo Dantas*Rafael Silva*Zach Makovsky*Michael Page



Toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
OU
BOOMER SOONER
 
OU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,047
OU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
Alvarez wasn't released by Bellator he met his contractual obligations and became a free agent. Unless I am missing something the point of what Bellator was doing was they are waiving there 90 day matching clause so that Eddie can negotiate with outside promotions in good faith. That is what they did with Hector and it makes sense because they understand there place in the industry. Bellator needed to do that especially since they way they treated the Tyson Nam situation enforcing a 18 month clause on a fighter they released without ever competing.
Unless I'm mistaken, Eddie would have had to wait a little while, not sure how long, to receive offers from other organizations. Bellator went ahead and waived that to accelerate the process if I'm understanding it correctly.

Edit: Here is the quote:
Quote:
"Based on our relationship with Ed, there's no reason to hold him to a series of months of not having the opportunity to look at those offers," Rebney said.
OU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
 
Toxic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: See that guy over in the window, with the binoculars?
Posts: 20,898
Toxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among Men
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUSOONERSOU View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, Eddie would have had to wait a little while, not sure how long, to receive offers from other organizations. Bellator went ahead and waived that to accelerate the process if I'm understanding it correctly.

Edit: Here is the quote:
Thing is if he wants to leave the other organizations are not gonna make him any serious offers till the matching period expires because in order to steal him they would have to offer him a contract bigger than Bellator either could or would match. In other words they would have to offer him more than he is worth so it would be foolish.
The minute his last fight ended he was free to pursue offers from other organizations the trap being that if Bellator was willing to match the contract offered by say the UFC than Eddie would be contractually obligated to resign with them over taking the UFC offer. (He could choose how much to fight for but not for who). He was a free agent but a restricted one. Bellator realizes that even if they are going to resign Eddie its likely not gonna be till he gets a look at serious offer from his other options and Bjorn realizes that he is just wasting time by holding Eddie to that matching clause.

Here is the full quote you were using from another article.

Quote:
Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney now has advanced the timeline on Alvarez's decision, telling MMA Junkie that he'll waive a standard 90-day matching period if the ex-champ doesn't initially take a new contract offer.

"Based on our relationship with Ed, there's no reason to hold him to a series of months of not having the opportunity to look at those offers," Rebney said.
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/11/5...ights-mma-news
__________________



"If you get hit and it hurts hit him back you not knocked out yet."-Joe Doerksen
The Toxic Terrors (FFL)
Demetrious Johnson*Eduardo Dantas*Rafael Silva*Zach Makovsky*Michael Page



Toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Amateur
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 173
Magog will become famous soon enoughMagog will become famous soon enoughMagog will become famous soon enoughMagog will become famous soon enoughMagog will become famous soon enoughMagog will become famous soon enoughMagog will become famous soon enoughMagog will become famous soon enoughMagog will become famous soon enoughMagog will become famous soon enoughMagog will become famous soon enough
I'm hyped to see Eddie out. Gilbert M. is likely begging scott coker to have uncle dana hire eddie so he doesn't have to fight him.

Kinda like how He ducked him Bjorn offered to co promote before.
Magog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
OU
BOOMER SOONER
 
OU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,047
OU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magog View Post
I'm hyped to see Eddie out. Gilbert M. is likely begging scott coker to have uncle dana hire eddie so he doesn't have to fight him.

Kinda like how He ducked him Bjorn offered to co promote before.
LOL what kind of warped logic is that? Gil ducked Eddie because the organizations couldn't put the fight together? You act like Gil refused to sign the contract or something.
OU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Amateur
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 173
Magog will become famous soon enoughMagog will become famous soon enoughMagog will become famous soon enoughMagog will become famous soon enoughMagog will become famous soon enoughMagog will become famous soon enoughMagog will become famous soon enoughMagog will become famous soon enoughMagog will become famous soon enoughMagog will become famous soon enoughMagog will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUSOONERSOU View Post
LOL what kind of warped logic is that? Gil ducked Eddie because the organizations couldn't put the fight together? You act like Gil refused to sign the contract or something.
Oh you mean how Gil turned down the ufc advances on 2-3 occasions sighting the first time "i owe a debt to coker." Okay fine... coker sells strike to zuffa "Oh well I'm comfortable where I am."

Seriously to keep legit he fought one of KIMBO's flunkies LOL. A bellator wash out who's famous for being tapped out to a inverted Triangle.

I'm not saying Gillie isn't talented. I'm saying he's happy being king of the crap pile undisputely.
Magog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
OU
BOOMER SOONER
 
OU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,047
OU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magog View Post
Oh you mean how Gil turned down the ufc advances on 2-3 occasions sighting the first time "i owe a debt to coker." Okay fine... coker sells strike to zuffa "Oh well I'm comfortable where I am."

Seriously to keep legit he fought one of KIMBO's flunkies LOL. A bellator wash out who's famous for being tapped out to a inverted Triangle.

I'm not saying Gillie isn't talented. I'm saying he's happy being king of the crap pile undisputely.
Where in the world are you getting this awful information? Showtime has a tight hold on Gil and they are not letting him go to UFC, that has been and still is the reason why he is currently STUCK in SF. It's not his choice.
Gil did not choose Jorge Masvidal as his opponent, Strikeforce said the winner of KJ vs Jorge would get the title shot. Gil had nothing to do with it. Calling Masvidal a Kimbo flunkie is just trolling. So much face palm in your post.
OU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Featherweight
 
The Best Around's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,260
The Best Around Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Best Around Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Best Around Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Best Around Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Best Around Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Best Around Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Best Around Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Best Around Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Best Around Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Best Around Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Best Around Is True Champion Of Knowledge
Alvarez is one of my favorite fighters so I'd love to see him in the UFC. On the other hand, any chance I have of getting into Bellator is probably gone if he leaves. But...I'd rather see him in the UFC.
__________________
The Best Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
duckyou666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 322
duckyou666 duckyou666 duckyou666 duckyou666 duckyou666 duckyou666 duckyou666 duckyou666 duckyou666 duckyou666 duckyou666
On thing I'm unclear on is the matching clause itself. Just because Bellator matches a contract, is the fighter obligated to take Bellator over the other? Or is it up to the fighter to choose?
duckyou666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios