GSP/Silva Superfight to Happen - Page 14 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 11-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #131 (permalink)
LL
Rough Sex and Banana Pudding
 
LL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dance Class with Dom.
Posts: 8,534
LL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
No one is forcing anything on Georges.

Anderson offered to make the #1 vs. #2 P4P superfight. Between 2guys separted by 1 division. He figured a catch would be fair. If anything it takes something out of old man Anderson, weakens him..messes with cardio and routine. GSP would have had to cut less weight, which should only make him fresher.

Anderson nor many people thought it would be such a problem to meet at a catch. These are the #1 and #2 fighters in the world. GSP even said while he was rehabing that if that fight happened it would be at 178 at a catch. Then once it gets time he changed his mind and said 170.

GSP can do as he wants. If he feels like a catch isn't enough of an advantage that is fine. He shouldn't of strung people along for years though. Anderson offered to make the superfight, GSP declined. Anderson can now defend his 185 title like you want anyway.
Like I said, I don't think Georges wants the fight, maybe he just didn't wanna make an irrational decision with his adrenaline running coming off a big win but I get the impression he's not down to fight Anderson and I think that if a super fight does happen it'll be Jones/Silva not Silva/GSP.

Right now, it's looking like neither fight will happen and that's fine with me, I don't like the idea of them and to me the real super fights are Aldo/Edgar, Cruz/Barao, Jones/Gus, JDS/Overeem and such. Obviously they don't have the same hype as Mayweather/Pacquiao or GSP/Silva, Jones/Silva would but those are much more realistic and comparable than GSP/Silva or Jones/Silva considering like Mayweather/Pacquiao those guys are all in the same weight class/range of each other where Jones, Silva, and GSP all fight in different weight classes and are separated by 15 pounds.
__________________
2013 VIP FFL Champion
THE RETURN - 9/27/14
Machida - Alves - Cruz - JDS - Weidman - Pettis - Edgar - Cowboy - Dodson - Okami
LL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 11-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #132 (permalink)
Ultra-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,039
jonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakshow View Post
I'm much more of a GSP fan than a Silva fan, but I think making Silva drop to 170 is unrealistic. Meet at catchweight, and lets see if GSP's TD/ground control can counter Silvas laserbeam accurate striking
This is how I feel besides the fanhood aspect.

A catch is perfectly fair. If Anderson is so big then going 5 or 7 lbs under what he normally cuts would give GSP an advantage. GSP is already much younger.

GSP is also the wrestler. The stylistic matchup is about the most interesting out there. Anderson's weakness is wrestling, so why can't GSP wrestle him? I'd liek to see if he can. People say GSP would beat Chael...and Chael gave Anderson his toughest fight. So what is the problem?

If Anderson goes matrix and gets a crazy KO like he does to everyone else...it will have very little to do with the size difference.
jonnyg4508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #133 (permalink)
Ultra-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,039
jonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLyotoLegion View Post
Like I said, I don't think Georges wants the fight, maybe he just didn't wanna make an irrational decision with his adrenaline running coming off a big win but I get the impression he's not down to fight Anderson and I think that if a super fight does happen it'll be Jones/Silva not Silva/GSP.

Right now, it's looking like neither fight will happen and that's fine with me, I don't like the idea of them and to me the real super fights are Aldo/Edgar, Cruz/Barao, Jones/Gus, JDS/Overeem and such. Obviously they don't have the same hype as Mayweather/Pacquiao or GSP/Silva, Jones/Silva would but those are much more realistic and comparable than GSP/Silva or Jones/Silva considering like Mayweather/Pacquiao those guys are all in the same weight class/range of each other where Jones, Silva, and GSP all fight in different weight classes and are separated by 15 pounds.
We don't need superfights every year. But these 2 guys have been the #1 and #2 for a long time now. They have ran through their divisions thus far. I think it is fitting that this fight happens. Well-rounded wrestler vs. the well-rounded striker. It makes all the sense in the world stylistically.

I'm surprised that even GSP fans think he has no shot. He out-wrestles legit collegiate wrestlers like Kos, Fitch, Hughes. He takes down a 205 beast of a wrestler in practice. So what is the logic behind him not being able to do this vs. an average wrestler who competes at 185? Vitor is probably a better wrestler than Anderson...would people also call that unfair? If GSP fought Munoz no one would have a problem with the size difference.

People have a problem with this. And use size as some excuse, because they know GSP would get kicked in the face and fall down. And it would have little to nothing to do with size. Most everyone here knows this, and would rather use size as the excuse than the fact that ANderson is just that much better technically.

Last edited by jonnyg4508 : 11-19-2012 at 11:40 AM.
jonnyg4508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #134 (permalink)
You're Welcome.
 
Canadian Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Eh?
Posts: 7,198
Canadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF Material
lol, it's not that I think he has no shot. GSP is obviously talented enough to beat anyone. But come on... it's Anderson Silva. A very hard man to bet against. GSP is as dominant as they come, but I'm being honest when I say that he's left more than one fight pretty beat up. Whereas Silva has only tasted pain once in his UFC tenure. I see his Superman like power and Flash like reflexes on full display against top guys and I've no reason to believe that he couldn't do the same against the other P4P best fighters in the world.

It's not that I think GSP has no chance. Of course he does. His best attribute is Silva's main 'weakness'. I just find it increasingly difficult to bet against Silva. For my money, the one man who CAN beat him is Chael Sonnen, and he's failed to do so twice now. Chael's is the best wrestling in MMA, and Anderson managed to figure him out twice. Granted GSP has superior submission defence.
Canadian Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #135 (permalink)
Ultra-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,039
jonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Psycho View Post
lol, it's not that I think he has no shot. GSP is obviously talented enough to beat anyone. But come on... it's Anderson Silva. A very hard man to bet against. GSP is as dominant as they come, but I'm being honest when I say that he's left more than one fight pretty beat up. Whereas Silva has only tasted pain once in his UFC tenure. I see his Superman like power and Flash like reflexes on full display against top guys and I've no reason to believe that he couldn't do the same against the other P4P best fighters in the world.

It's not that I think GSP has no chance. Of course he does. His best attribute is Silva's main 'weakness'. I just find it increasingly difficult to bet against Silva. For my money, the one man who CAN beat him is Chael Sonnen, and he's failed to do so twice now. Chael's is the best wrestling in MMA, and Anderson managed to figure him out twice. Granted GSP has superior submission defence.
Well then can everyone who feels similar to you just say they don't want the fight because Anderson would smash him?

And not hide behind this size excuse?

You just said flash like reflexes. Anderson punching GSP in his face has nothing much to do with size. It is because Anderson's skillset is better suited for MMA than GSP's. Anderson can finish you before you even touch him.

Plus GSP would be quicker than anyone Silva has dealt with, so maybe he would give Anderson's quickness some trouble?

Either way Anderson never uses any sort of size in his fights. GSP would be the one engaging in a brute strength match. He would try to take Silva down, punch him, and keep him there. He is supposed to be the best wrestler in MMA.

If Anderson wins it would have very little to do with size. It would be because he is simply much better than GSP. GSP doesn't have the chin to deal with people who hit him in the face. I would just like more people to admit that they don't want it because it isn't close. Not because of size.

Condit is 6'2 with like a 76 inch reach and probably weighs just as much as GSP before they cut. Difference is ANderson doesn't waste time hjumping around doing ridiculous moves he has no chance of connecting with. Condit wastes a lot of his energy jumping around trying weird stuff. Anderson is accurate and actually knows what he is doing with any odd strike he throws.
jonnyg4508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #136 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 406
tripster is a splendid one to beholdtripster is a splendid one to beholdtripster is a splendid one to beholdtripster is a splendid one to beholdtripster is a splendid one to beholdtripster is a splendid one to beholdtripster is a splendid one to beholdtripster is a splendid one to beholdtripster is a splendid one to beholdtripster is a splendid one to beholdtripster is a splendid one to behold
I think money is the deal clincher here. I suspect both fighters are very seriously thinking about retirement I'm a huge GSP fan (if you hadn;t guessed it already) but based on last Saturday;s performance I'm afraid he does not stand a chance against Silva. If you would have asked me the quetion 2 years ago I would have said GSP could beat Silva. So, with retirement looming, the real possibility of getting hurt bad and the likelihood that a loss to Silva would extinguish the GSP flame, I believe GSP is waiting on the right money. The more they build it up and the more it gets talked about, the more likely he is to get what he needs.

It'll be a million dollar payday for GSP.
__________________
Tripster
tripster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #137 (permalink)
LL
Rough Sex and Banana Pudding
 
LL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dance Class with Dom.
Posts: 8,534
LL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripster View Post
I think money is the deal clincher here. I suspect both fighters are very seriously thinking about retirement I'm a huge GSP fan (if you hadn;t guessed it already) but based on last Saturday;s performance I'm afraid he does not stand a chance against Silva. If you would have asked me the quetion 2 years ago I would have said GSP could beat Silva. So, with retirement looming, the real possibility of getting hurt bad and the likelihood that a loss to Silva would extinguish the GSP flame, I believe GSP is waiting on the right money. The more they build it up and the more it gets talked about, the more likely he is to get what he needs.

It'll be a million dollar payday for GSP.
I doubt GSP's thinking about retirement, Anderson might be but GSP still has a lot of time left in MMA, especially with the money he's making. Anderson's making a lot of money and his skills are still there too but he's nearing 40.

I don't think this fight is gonna happen though.
__________________
2013 VIP FFL Champion
THE RETURN - 9/27/14
Machida - Alves - Cruz - JDS - Weidman - Pettis - Edgar - Cowboy - Dodson - Okami
LL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #138 (permalink)
Light Heavyweight
 
MMA-Sportsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: "Runway Ahead" "Landing"
Posts: 3,441
MMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Psycho View Post
Silva has only tasted pain once in his UFC tenure.
Yes, I remember that. Cracked rib. That causes a lot of pain, indeed.
__________________
"In GOD, we trust. Everything else, we check."
MMA-Sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #139 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 406
tripster is a splendid one to beholdtripster is a splendid one to beholdtripster is a splendid one to beholdtripster is a splendid one to beholdtripster is a splendid one to beholdtripster is a splendid one to beholdtripster is a splendid one to beholdtripster is a splendid one to beholdtripster is a splendid one to beholdtripster is a splendid one to beholdtripster is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLyotoLegion View Post
I doubt GSP's thinking about retirement, Anderson might be but GSP still has a lot of time left in MMA, especially with the money he's making. Anderson's making a lot of money and his skills are still there too but he's nearing 40.

I don't think this fight is gonna happen though.
I really think retirement is something GSP is now thinking about. He tore his ACL, which if it happens again could be a lifelong irritation. He has also said that the division has completely changed and the younger fighters are better and stronger. Sounds like he has doubts about whether he wants to expose himself to the tough fights. He is intelligent and diplomatic enough to be management material in this business and continue his career on that side of the business.

IMO he will put in another 2, maybe 3 fights and then call it quits.
__________________
Tripster
tripster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #140 (permalink)
Featherweight
 
kc1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,442
kc1983 Is Running Through The Rankingskc1983 Is Running Through The Rankingskc1983 Is Running Through The Rankingskc1983 Is Running Through The Rankingskc1983 Is Running Through The Rankingskc1983 Is Running Through The Rankingskc1983 Is Running Through The Rankingskc1983 Is Running Through The Rankingskc1983 Is Running Through The Rankingskc1983 Is Running Through The Rankingskc1983 Is Running Through The Rankings
Georges made it pretty clear that his knee is 100% going into the fight and he certainly made no indication of retirement so I don't know where you are getting this.

I don't see Georges retiring in 2-3 fights. Not if he keeps winning and stays injury free.
kc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios