Gsp looked Huge last night. - Page 5 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 10:37 AM
Featherweight
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,444
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killz View Post
I thought he was looking for the finish but condit was tough as nails. No doubt GSP would have finished a lesser fighter in this fight.

His game plan was spot on and Condit made it very difficult for him.
The thing about GSP isn't that he lacks the ability to finish, it's that he isn't willing to take risks in order to finish. Even when he was rocked Condit couldn't stay on top of him for long, and yet he was never willing to risk his dominant position in favor of a sub attempt.

Which I'm perfectly fine with, myself. Win first, look good second.
Sports_Nerd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 10:42 AM
OU
Ultra-weight
 
OU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,080
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killz View Post
I thought he was looking for the finish but condit was tough as nails. No doubt GSP would have finished a lesser fighter in this fight.

His game plan was spot on and Condit made it very difficult for him.
I completely disagree. The extent of him attempting to finish is attempting to cause cuts with elbows. He never throws anything with enough power to put someone out. I don't think GSP would have finished any top WW last night. I think even a guy like Douglas Lima would have survived just fine. Condit didn't do anything great himself either. I think many fighters could have put up an equal fight. Nothing impressive about either man IMO with that fight.
OU is offline  
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 10:44 AM
The Fun Police
 
Killz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK... Where the sun never shines.
Posts: 11,459
Blog Entries: 1
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUSOONERSOU View Post
I completely disagree. The extent of him attempting to finish is attempting to cause cuts with elbows. He never throws anything with enough power to put someone out. I don't think GSP would have finished any top WW last night. I think even a guy like Douglas Lima would have survived just fine. Condit didn't do anything great himself either. I think many fighters could have put up an equal fight. Nothing impressive about either man IMO with that fight.
Think We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I thought both fighters were looking for every opportunity they could to get the other into a finish worthy situation.

Just 2 tough dudes cancelling each other out IMO.
Killz is offline  
post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 10:51 AM
OU
Ultra-weight
 
OU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,080
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killz View Post
Think We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I thought both fighters were looking for every opportunity they could to get the other into a finish worthy situation.

Just 2 tough dudes cancelling each other out IMO.
Yeah I'll agree to disagree. IMO Condit has been going in reverse, I blame Greg Jackson and that entire camp for awful gameplans in his last 2 fights. I think both GSP and Condit have had much, much better performances. Maybe both had a bit of ring rust? Nether seemed to have the cardio they have had in the past. Both have looked crisper in every way IMO. They didn't look like the best 2 WW in the world to me.
OU is offline  
post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Featherweight
 
dsmjrv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: manhattan beach, CA
Posts: 1,019
                     
he looked the same

and the reason neither fighter looked on top of his game is because it really was the best 2 WW fighters out there, a lot of their strengths werent quite as strong or impressive as they normally seem because their opponent was able to somewhat cancel it out.. this wasnt your typical GSP clinic where he makes it look easy, and this wasn't carlos typical opponent where he neeeds only a round or two to find the answer and finish them.. it was a real fight which is strange, GSP earned a lot of respect this fight from fans and haters alike..

Last edited by dsmjrv; 11-19-2012 at 12:47 PM.
dsmjrv is offline  
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 12:56 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manchestoorrrrrrr
Posts: 1,469
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUSOONERSOU View Post
Yeah I'll agree to disagree. IMO Condit has been going in reverse, I blame Greg Jackson and that entire camp for awful gameplans in his last 2 fights. I think both GSP and Condit have had much, much better performances. Maybe both had a bit of ring rust? Nether seemed to have the cardio they have had in the past. Both have looked crisper in every way IMO. They didn't look like the best 2 WW in the world to me.
Greg Jackson didn't gameplan Condit for the GSP fight, he had no part in his training camp what so ever.

Have you been living under a rock?
GrappleRetarded is offline  
post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 12:59 PM
OU
Ultra-weight
 
OU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,080
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrappleRetarded View Post
Greg Jackson didn't gameplan Condit for the GSP fight, he had no part in his training camp what so ever.

Have you been living under a rock?
It was the same game plan. I was talking about Jackson's camp, which he is still in charge of. Even if he didn't personally gameplan for either fighter, his finger prints were all over both men's gameplans...as usual. Be for real.
OU is offline  
post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 406
                     
Yes he definately looked much bigger. Thicker, more volume to his muscles and not quite as lean as he usually is.

For the ridiculous people out there who are translating "bigger" into "taller" refrain from commenting because you have no idea what you are saying. Obviously a 6'2" guy will look taller than a 5'10" guy but every other part of Condit was smaller - smaller arms, smaller legs, smaller shoulders, smaller torso, smaller calves, smaller abdomen... everything. How else would someone that tall be able to weigh in at 170... he can't be bigger!! Fools!!!

Tripster
tripster is offline  
post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 406
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUSOONERSOU View Post
It was the same game plan. I was talking about Jackson's camp, which he is still in charge of. Even if he didn't personally gameplan for either fighter, his finger prints were all over both men's gameplans...as usual. Be for real.
Agree. After all it is his gym. You think he is not going to it while Condit trains??? I think he had more to do with Condit's game plan than he did with GSP's.

Tripster
tripster is offline  
post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 05:16 PM
Featherweight
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 1,066
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUSOONERSOU View Post
Yeah I'll agree to disagree. IMO Condit has been going in reverse, I blame Greg Jackson and that entire camp for awful gameplans in his last 2 fights. I think both GSP and Condit have had much, much better performances. Maybe both had a bit of ring rust? Nether seemed to have the cardio they have had in the past. Both have looked crisper in every way IMO. They didn't look like the best 2 WW in the world to me.


I would agree both Condit and GSP have had performances that looked better.

Coincidently, they were against weaker opponents.

How well a fighter's performance "looks" is entirely dependent on who their opponent is.

Maybe GSP and Condit have both looked "crisper" because those previous opponents simply weren't good enough to get out of the way.

As for gameplans...they only work if you can impose them on your opponent. It's not like Carlos' gameplan was to work submissions from the bottom all night. He said so himself.

GSP just didn't give him any other option.
zarny is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome