Hugely over emphasising top control and why it's become the norm in MMA - Page 6 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 11-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #51 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
RearNaked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Swinging from Roy Nelson's nuts.
Posts: 848
RearNaked Is A BallerRearNaked Is A BallerRearNaked Is A BallerRearNaked Is A BallerRearNaked Is A BallerRearNaked Is A BallerRearNaked Is A BallerRearNaked Is A BallerRearNaked Is A BallerRearNaked Is A BallerRearNaked Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauno View Post
Not going to read through all the pages but.. top position is overvalued, that's true. GSP most definitely won this fight and it's foolish to say otherwise. Fights like Mousasi/Lawal and Pettis/Guida pretty much prove how overvalued the top position is.
Rutten/Randleman is really the only fight I can remember where the guy on the bottom got the benefit of the doubt.
RearNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 11-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #52 (permalink)
SikWithIt
 
Bknmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 2,115
Bknmax Is Beyond A Rankings SystemBknmax Is Beyond A Rankings SystemBknmax Is Beyond A Rankings SystemBknmax Is Beyond A Rankings SystemBknmax Is Beyond A Rankings SystemBknmax Is Beyond A Rankings SystemBknmax Is Beyond A Rankings SystemBknmax Is Beyond A Rankings SystemBknmax Is Beyond A Rankings SystemBknmax Is Beyond A Rankings SystemBknmax Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauno View Post
Not going to read through all the pages but.. top position is overvalued, that's true. GSP most definitely won this fight and it's foolish to say otherwise. Fights like Mousasi/Lawal and Pettis/Guida pretty much prove how overvalued the top position is.
If King Mo kept gsp pace against Mousasi then the win is deserved ,stalling should be a warning in my opinion.


Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App
__________________
Favorite Fighters
HW: Daniel Cormier
LH: Gegard "The Dreamcatcher" Mousasi
LW: Ben "Smooth" Henderson
Bknmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #53 (permalink)
All Around Nice Guy
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
 
SideWays222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,694
SideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrappleRetarded View Post
I didn't say that the cuts and bruises on his face were indicative of Condit doing more damage, I simply said that they were proof that Condit inflicted damage from the bottom position, which he did.

As for Condit doing more damage throughout the fight, that was very evident with the head kick and follow up GNP he landed in round three. By far the most significant and damaging strikes in the entire fight.
It really isnt indicative of that though. Condit landed alot of punches in the stand up portion of the fight too. You are just seeing what you want to see.

And tbh bruises to the face do not equal damage. Iv gotten bruises on my face and i wasnt hurt or damaged. I would actually press on the bruise because i like the feeling lol
And lips swell up fairly easy as well.

The only bruise indicative of damage might be the one on GSPs nose BUT id bet the house that was caused by a punch to the nose when Condit rocked GSP.
SideWays222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #54 (permalink)
Welterweight
 
leifdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pennsylvania/Hawaii
Posts: 2,145
leifdawg Is Beloved By Allleifdawg Is Beloved By Allleifdawg Is Beloved By Allleifdawg Is Beloved By Allleifdawg Is Beloved By Allleifdawg Is Beloved By Allleifdawg Is Beloved By Allleifdawg Is Beloved By Allleifdawg Is Beloved By Allleifdawg Is Beloved By Allleifdawg Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackManRising View Post
I used a hashtag and u lost all respect for me? Sweet pre judging.
How is that prejudging? You committed an action that caused him to lose respect for you. Seems like pretty timely judging to me.
__________________
Supporting BJ Penn-Joe Lauzon-Brock Lesnar-Anderson Silva-Lyoto Machida
ContactSportsNews365
leifdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #55 (permalink)
Featherweight
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 1,065
zarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrappleRetarded View Post
Before you guys start labelling me as a sour Condit fan, I gave GSP the nod and scored it three rounds to two in a thrilling and competitive fight.

I can't be alone in thinking that top control is just ridiculously over valued in this sport, because it seems like people are just accepting the fact that who ever is on top from the guard(s) position is automatically winning the fight, regardless of what the opponent is doing from the bottom.

Having watched the fight two times now and reading the responses not just on here, but on various online MMA forums and blogs, it really infuriates me to see people label this fight as a dominant and easy victory for GSP and for the judges to score it 50-45 for GSP - how is this even possible?

Why do you rate control over damage? Why is control such an over emphasised aspect of judging criteria?

In a real fight, simply controlling the other person doesn't get you the win. In a real fight, two guys scrap it out until their opponent is either knocked out, submitted or just verbally gives up. Fighting is about breaking the wills of your adversaries, not holding them to the ground for as long as you can.

Do people know that judges were enforced into combat sports to simply stop fights ending in draws. If there were no judges, fighters would have to go for the finish and thus be much more encouraged to inflict real damage rather than simply "control" their opponents.

And I actually thought Condit did a fantastic job of controlling GSP's posture throughout the majority of the fight from the bottom position.

If you scored GSP v Condit 48-47 for GSP you need to rewatch the fight again for a third time.

At best, Condit won one round...the 3rd.

There have certainly been fights where the fighter on top does very little while the fighter on bottom is extremely active. For those fights...your argument might have merit.

Unfortunately for your rant it doesn't apply to GSP v Condit.

Not only did GSP maintain top control for virtually all of the fight, but he also did signifcant damage dropping elbows and punches.

GSP certainly did more damage while on top than Condit did while on the bottom in guard.

My question to you is why do you underrate top control?

Condit had no intentions of being on the bottom all night. He said so himself. He was only on the bottom because GSP put him there against his will. Sorry, but in every reality that counts.

Why do you over emphasize the damage from 1 shot while ignoring the rest of the fight?

Sure of all the punches, kicks and elbows in the fight Condit's HK in the 3rd round delivered the most damage.

The reality remains that the damage from that HK only allowed Condit to control GSP for less than a minute before getting put on his back to be punched and elbowed in the face again.

Sorry, but if all that "damage" only amounts to controlling the fight for less than a minute it doesn't count for much.
zarny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #56 (permalink)
Featherweight
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 1,065
zarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrappleRetarded View Post
I didn't say that the cuts and bruises on his face were indicative of Condit doing more damage, I simply said that they were proof that Condit inflicted damage from the bottom position, which he did.

As for Condit doing more damage throughout the fight, that was very evident with the head kick and follow up GNP he landed in round three. By far the most significant and damaging strikes in the entire fight.

LMAO.

You need a course in logic.

That's like saying a baseball team had more offense because they scored 5 runs in 1 inning despite losing the game 9-5.

The fact Condit's head kick and 1 minute of GNP were the most significant and damaging strikes of the fight doesn't actually mean he did more damage over the course of the entire fight.

Entire being the operative word.

But here is what really flies over your head. Even if you say that over the course of the entire fight Condit did more damage...that isn't the only criteria a fight is judged on.
zarny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #57 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manchestoorrrrrrr
Posts: 1,469
GrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound Great
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWays222 View Post
It really isnt indicative of that though. Condit landed alot of punches in the stand up portion of the fight too. You are just seeing what you want to see.

And tbh bruises to the face do not equal damage. Iv gotten bruises on my face and i wasnt hurt or damaged. I would actually press on the bruise because i like the feeling lol
And lips swell up fairly easy as well.

The only bruise indicative of damage might be the one on GSPs nose BUT id bet the house that was caused by a punch to the nose when Condit rocked GSP.
You press against the bruises because you like the feel. Now you're just talking shit. No one, no one, likes pressing against bruises on their face/body because it feels good. Stop talking utter nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarny View Post
If you scored GSP v Condit 48-47 for GSP you need to rewatch the fight again for a third time.

At best, Condit won one round...the 3rd.

There have certainly been fights where the fighter on top does very little while the fighter on bottom is extremely active. For those fights...your argument might have merit.

Unfortunately for your rant it doesn't apply to GSP v Condit.

Not only did GSP maintain top control for virtually all of the fight, but he also did signifcant damage dropping elbows and punches.

GSP certainly did more damage while on top than Condit did while on the bottom in guard.

My question to you is why do you underrate top control?

Condit had no intentions of being on the bottom all night. He said so himself. He was only on the bottom because GSP put him there against his will. Sorry, but in every reality that counts.

Why do you over emphasize the damage from 1 shot while ignoring the rest of the fight?

Sure of all the punches, kicks and elbows in the fight Condit's HK in the 3rd round delivered the most damage.

The reality remains that the damage from that HK only allowed Condit to control GSP for less than a minute before getting put on his back to be punched and elbowed in the face again.

Sorry, but if all that "damage" only amounts to controlling the fight for less than a minute it doesn't count for much.
Here's thing, people keep going on about how GSP landed a volume of huge punches and elbows from the top position, but I guess I didn't see them. Most of the shots GSP tried to land from the top position were grazing or partial blocked from Condit. Condit did a great job at limiting the space for GSP to utilise and posture up to reign down heavy blows.

Other than at the end of the first round with the slicing elbow which busted Condit wide open, and I think it was in the fourth round where GSP landed a solid clean elbow on the bridge of Condits nose, I didn't see many of these clean, heavy blows from GSP's top positon, really I didn't. As I said, it looked like the majority of them were grazing or partially blocked.

GSP got his ass kicked in that third round. He didn't put Condit on his back and start punching and elbowing him in the face again. After he regained his composure in that round, he got the take down, buried his head in Condits chest and ate a shit load of elbows and fists to the head from the bottom, he didn't really land any thing on the ground in that round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarny View Post
LMAO.

You need a course in logic.

That's like saying a baseball team had more offense because they scored 5 runs in 1 inning despite losing the game 9-5.

The fact Condit's head kick and 1 minute of GNP were the most significant and damaging strikes of the fight doesn't actually mean he did more damage over the course of the entire fight.

Entire being the operative word.


But here is what really flies over your head. Even if you say that over the course of the entire fight Condit did more damage...that isn't the only criteria a fight is judged on.
Or maybe you need a course in reading comprehension, seeing as though this is the second time you've made sentences up out of....nothing.

Where did I ever say that damage is the only criteria the fight is judged on, any where? It hasn't flew over my head, I simply believe that damage should be by far the most emphasised aspect of judging criteria.

Over the course of the entire fight, the stand up exchanges were relatively even (third round aside). Both fighters landed their fair share of clean shots on the feet. Then the third round came and Condit landed a nasty head kick and followed up with a barrage of clean elbows to GSP.

On the ground, people keep saying GSP lit Condit up with punches and elbows, but as I said earlier, I didn't really see many clean shots actually land, Condit defended well from the bottom.

I'd like to see more gifs from Rearnaked actually showing GSP landing some good, clean punches and elbows from the top position, other than the big elbow he landed n round one and the one he landed to Condits nose in think round 4.
GrappleRetarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #58 (permalink)
Light Heavyweight
 
MMA-Sportsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: "Runway Ahead" "Landing"
Posts: 3,280
MMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By All
No one that is held down against his will for most time of the fight shall be the winner.
Is that so hard to understand?
__________________
I will support your good point regardless of our differences.

Winners and Losers

Story of My Life
MMA-Sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #59 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manchestoorrrrrrr
Posts: 1,469
GrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound Great
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMA-Sportsman View Post
No one that is held down against his will for most time of the fight shall be the winner.
Is that so hard to understand?
I don't think that was ever part of the debate. Who said Condit was the winner?
GrappleRetarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #60 (permalink)
Light Heavyweight
 
MMA-Sportsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: "Runway Ahead" "Landing"
Posts: 3,280
MMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrappleRetarded View Post
I don't think that was ever part of the debate. Who said Condit was the winner?
Quote:
Hugely over emphasising top control and why it's become the norm in MMA
Is that the title of the thread, which, btw, you wrote?
Just checking.
__________________
I will support your good point regardless of our differences.

Winners and Losers

Story of My Life
MMA-Sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios