Hugely over emphasising top control and why it's become the norm in MMA - Page 7 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 06:55 PM
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
 
osmium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 6,517
                     
Gegard was awarded the first round by every judge I believe. He didn't deserve the rest of them because he gassed badly and couldn't keep up his attack from the bottom.

I don't know what it is about GSP but his hardcore fans are apparently the same people who were fans of Fedor. Just crazed and delusional making posts all over this forum arguing against statements that they imagined themselves and have no bearing on the reality of what is being posted. Not to mention pretending that GSP won the striking in every round somehow even though he was wrecked in the third standing and threw almost no strikes in the fifth because he didn't want to blow the fight once he had it won.
osmium is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manchestoorrrrrrr
Posts: 1,469
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMA-Sportsman View Post
Is that the title of the thread, which, btw, you wrote?
Just checking.
I don't understand your point.
GrappleRetarded is offline  
post #63 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Colossal-weight
 
Sportsman 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: To achieve success, first you have to want real bad!!!
Posts: 8,132
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrappleRetarded View Post
I don't understand your point.
Ok. I'll help you step by step.

Thread title(You created):
Quote:
Hugely over emphasising top control and why it's become the norm in MMA
My two cents about the topic:
Quote:
No one that is held down against his will for most time of the fight shall be the winner.
Is that so hard to understand?
So you come...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrappleRetarded View Post
I don't think that was ever part of the debate. Who said Condit was the winner?
So I answer your question with another: Did I say anything about Condit?
I did simply respond to the topic you created.
Did it help?


Sully - Official Trailer HD

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
Sportsman 2.0 is offline  
post #64 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 09:28 PM
The Internet Prophet
 
deadmanshand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,750
                     
All this thread tells me is that the OPs screenname is more than a clever moniker.

That is not dead which can eternal lie and withs strange aeons even death may die.
deadmanshand is offline  
post #65 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 327
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrappleRetarded View Post
I can't be alone in thinking that top control is just ridiculously over valued in this sport, because it seems like people are just accepting the fact that who ever is on top from the guard(s) position is automatically winning the fight, regardless of what the opponent is doing from the bottom.
You aren't alone, but I've studied Judo, Ju-Jitsu, Aikido, Tae Kwon Do, Wing Chun, Wrestling and a couple flavors of Kung Fu, and to me, it comes to this. All other things being equal, Gravity wins.

If two guys are damaging each other on the ground, the one on top isn't carrying the other guy's weight.

All things being equal, the guy on top is gonna win 8 out of ten times, because he won't get tired as fast.
HellRazor is offline  
post #66 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 10:05 PM
Colossal-weight
 
Sportsman 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: To achieve success, first you have to want real bad!!!
Posts: 8,132
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRazor View Post

If two guys are damaging each other on the ground, the one on top isn't carrying the other guy's weight.

All things being equal, the guy on top is gonna win 8 out of ten times, because he won't get tired as fast.
This and the guy on top has the control, while the one on the bottom is being kept there against his will. When the GNP is weak and little action occurs through most of the match that sucks, but unless a sub comes from the bottom, top guy is the winner.


Sully - Official Trailer HD

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
Sportsman 2.0 is offline  
post #67 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 11:17 PM
Bantamweight
 
RearNaked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Swinging from Roy Nelson's nuts.
Posts: 848
                     
Rewatching this event and this moment was just too good.

RearNaked is offline  
post #68 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manchestoorrrrrrr
Posts: 1,469
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMA-Sportsman View Post
Ok. I'll help you step by step.

Thread title(You created):
My two cents about the topic:

So you come...

So I answer your question with another: Did I say anything about Condit?
I did simply respond to the topic you created.
Did it help?
Ok, but there's no need to be a condescending, patronizing prick about it.

I think my main gripe with "fighters" who look to grind out decision victories, content to control their opponents and score points rather than look for the kill is the fact there are set rounds. I always find myself asking; what if there were no round limits? Jon Fitch may very well be capable of beating Nick Diaz in a three/five round contest, but if there was no limit to the rounds, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Nick Diaz would at some point finish Jon Fitch and make him wilt under the pressure.

To me, the essence of Martial Arts and fighting has always been about making your opponent buckle under your pressure and giving up in some form, whether it be by KO, submission or verbally giving up. I get that this is a sport with rules, but I will always respect the true "fighters" for their warrior spirit over the sportsmen looking to play the points game.
GrappleRetarded is offline  
post #69 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 12:45 AM
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 915
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRazor View Post
You aren't alone, but I've studied Judo, Ju-Jitsu, Aikido, Tae Kwon Do, Wing Chun, Wrestling and a couple flavors of Kung Fu, and to me, it comes to this. All other things being equal, Gravity wins.

If two guys are damaging each other on the ground, the one on top isn't carrying the other guy's weight.

All things being equal, the guy on top is gonna win 8 out of ten times, because he won't get tired as fast.
I agree. All things equal, top position is always the better place to be. The only position where it's almost equal is full guard. The only time I'd score it for the bottom guy is if he's actively trying subs and keeping the top guy so busy/worried that he can't effectively use his top advantage.
mastodon2222 is offline  
post #70 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 01:03 AM
All Around Nice Guy
 
SideWays222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,760
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrappleRetarded View Post
You press against the bruises because you like the feel. Now you're just talking shit. No one, no one, likes pressing against bruises on their face/body because it feels good. Stop talking utter nonsense.

Lol i know alot of people who like doing that. Its almost a habit like biting your fingernails or something.

I also press on pimples that pop up. It hurts but kinda feels good.

And its funny how the only thing you responded to is a side comment about something I enjoy doing. Lmao

Nice deflector Retarded.
SideWays222 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome