Rory MacDonald workout routine? He's really strong - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,705
                     
And its not that rare for a young 20 year old male to be freakish strong, just look at the NFL and the rookies that come in every year. Especially the RBs and DEs...
Spec0688 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
 
osmium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 6,517
                     
The only reason I even look at Rory threads is to see what Roflcopter is going to say.
osmium is offline  
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: West Germany
Posts: 174
                     
Quote:
Developing that kind of strength isn't as easy as doing squats or running a lot. You're using different muscle groups. If a person took the time to study human anatomy and recognized which muscle groups were most important in successfully executing a takedown. Then, experimented to figure out how to best target and develop those muscle groups to their full potential -- they could probably enjoy a big advantage over others who aren't willing to go to those lengths.
Are you saying that they are doing unconventional exercises? Bodyweight or kettlebells or both? The type of functional strength you get can only really come from bodyweight and kettlebells is what my friend told me.

I mean, what do you consider to be 'functional training'? You talk a big game but you haven't given me my workout routine that Rory does.
Proud German is offline  
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Super Heavyweight
 
Voiceless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Neo-Babylon
Posts: 4,442
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud German View Post
You talk a big game but you haven't given me my workout routine that Rory does.
If he has a specific workout routine that gives him a considerable edge over his opponents, then there is a reason why random fans in the internet won't be able to tell you what exactly they do. That reason is called "a secret".
Voiceless is online now  
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 279
                     
Rory is old man strong
paulfromtulsa is offline  
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Kneel Before Christ!
 
Roflcopter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,024
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec0688 View Post
And its not that rare for a young 20 year old male to be freakish strong, just look at the NFL and the rookies that come in every year. Especially the RBs and DEs...
And approximately zero percent of those athletes were doughy 160lbers well into adulthood.

Roflcopter is offline  
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Super Heavyweight
 
PheelGoodInc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Eastvale, Ca
Posts: 4,291
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roflcopter View Post
And approximately zero percent of those athletes were doughy 160lbers well into adulthood.
I was 145 when I graduated high school at age 18. Now at 26 I'm 200. I must be on roids

From now on, I am convinced A. Silva and Aldo are on roids. Have any of them ever done VADA testing? They're obviously guilty.

I am personally thankful for fighters like Rory paving the way to clean up the sport. One day he'll be looked back upon as one of the first few who let the tests do the talking. We should all owe Rory a debt of gratitude for his strong stance on anti-steroids and hope one day the fishy fighters like Anderson and Aldo step up and take the tests.

RIP Jordan Corder. Watch over me from above brother.

http://youtu.be/d5cUuRoQmMQ
PheelGoodInc is offline  
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 09:35 PM
Light Heavyweight
 
Trix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,394
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud German View Post
Are you saying that they are doing unconventional exercises? Bodyweight or kettlebells or both? The type of functional strength you get can only really come from bodyweight and kettlebells is what my friend told me.

I mean, what do you consider to be 'functional training'? You talk a big game but you haven't given me my workout routine that Rory does.
I don't know, is this unconventional?-



Quote:
Originally Posted by Roflcopter View Post
And approximately zero percent of those athletes were doughy 160lbers well into adulthood.
IIRC, Rory turned pro as a lightweight at 16.

He didn't move up to 170 until he was something like 17-18.

I don't know that his extreme size and weight gain occurred as a result of steroids... Maybe it happened because he was still growing?
Trix is online now  
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 09:42 PM
Super Heavyweight
 
PheelGoodInc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Eastvale, Ca
Posts: 4,291
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trix View Post
IIRC, Rory turned pro as a lightweight at 16.

He didn't move up to 170 until he was something like 17-18.

I don't know that his extreme size and weight gain occurred as a result of steroids... Maybe it happened because he was still growing?
The HELL you say?

People don't grow between 18-23, especially if training with one of the best camps in the world. They simply gain a couple pounds because young athletes in growing bodies are very limited to the amount of size they can gain.

RIP Jordan Corder. Watch over me from above brother.

http://youtu.be/d5cUuRoQmMQ
PheelGoodInc is offline  
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 10:00 PM
Light Heavyweight
 
Trix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,394
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by PheelGoodInc View Post
The HELL you say?

People don't grow between 18-23, especially if training with one of the best camps in the world. They simply gain a couple pounds because young athletes in growing bodies are very limited to the amount of size they can gain.

I used to think that too.

That if a person lifted weights from a young age it would stunt their growth.

As far as I know, its a myth and its been busted.

Not the best source, but best I could find:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/W...nceptions.html
Trix is online now  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome