5 of 8 Champs Are Wrestlers, Is It The Dominant Fighting Style? - Page 5 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 406
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauno View Post
It's common knowledge that wrestling is the best base to start with. But i wouldn't agree with the title of 5 champs being the wrestlers. It kinda implies that they're pure wrestlers and nothing more.
That is precisely why I qualified the post with Wrestling as a base and not the only fighting style. I think the fundamental advantage a high caliber wrestler has is the ability to instantaneously take the fight to the ground and change the course of the fight. This dynamic and explosive action throws opponents off while they attempt to adjust their game plan, whether that be a striker or BJJ guy.

Tripster
tripster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Don't Sweat the Technique
 
St.Paul Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 1,660
                     
I like how GSP is classified as a wrestler.

5/8 of the champs use wrestling offensively (5/10 if you count Barao and Rousey) to some extent. Calling it the dominant fighting style is silly.

If it were the dominant style world-class wrestlers would "dominate" every division. 0/10 of the champs are world-class wrestlers and that isn't even debatable really....




Sig credit: MC

~ Lifetime Membership sponsored by RustyRenegade ~
St.Paul Guy is offline  
post #43 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 406
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Paul Guy View Post
I like how GSP is classified as a wrestler.

5/8 of the champs use wrestling offensively (5/10 if you count Barao and Rousey) to some extent. Calling it the dominant fighting style is silly.

If it were the dominant style world-class wrestlers would "dominate" every division. 0/10 of the champs are world-class wrestlers and that isn't even debatable really....
It is very difficult for people to grasp the notion that a fighter can be prominent in one fighting style when we are talking MMA, the very definition being MIXED martial arts. However it is a fact.

Since GSP considered wrestling in the Olympics, I think, adds some legitimacy to him being classified as a wrestler. Henderson really began his fighting career in highschool and college as a wrestler.

The thread is interesting because the ongoing discussions revolving around best fighting styles is a classic and given the current division champs, it's a great time to bring it up.

Tripster
tripster is offline  
post #44 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 11:28 AM
OU
Ultra-weight
 
OU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,080
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Paul Guy View Post
I like how GSP is classified as a wrestler.

5/8 of the champs use wrestling offensively (5/10 if you count Barao and Rousey) to some extent. Calling it the dominant fighting style is silly.

If it were the dominant style world-class wrestlers would "dominate" every division. 0/10 of the champs are world-class wrestlers and that isn't even debatable really....
Cormier is the closest we have to a champ with world class wrestling. He isn't in the UFC and techincally not even the SF Champion, but he is the SF GP Champion and will be immediate contender for UFC title. Cole Konrad won exclusively with wrestling in his career. Ben Askren is the same way. While they are not UFC Champions, they are prime examples of world class wrestlers using wrestling, pretty much exclusively to succeed at a high level.
OU is offline  
post #45 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 12:11 PM
HiiiPoWeR
 
Rauno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Estonia
Posts: 17,676
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUSOONERSOU View Post
Cormier is the closest we have to a champ with world class wrestling. He isn't in the UFC and techincally not even the SF Champion, but he is the SF GP Champion and will be immediate contender for UFC title. Cole Konrad won exclusively with wrestling in his career. Ben Askren is the same way. While they are not UFC Champions, they are prime examples of world class wrestlers using wrestling, pretty much exclusively to succeed at a high level.
http://www.strikeforce.com/fighter DC is an official HW champ for SF. Guess they figured making him as the champ while they're at it.

Rauno is offline  
post #46 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 12:13 PM
OU
Ultra-weight
 
OU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,080
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauno View Post
http://www.strikeforce.com/fighter DC is an official HW champ for SF. Guess they figured making him as the champ while they're at it.
Well they can give him the belt I suppose. But I don't recall them saying winner of Josh vs DC is the Champion? But I guess when their belt holder went to the UFC all that was left was the GP Championship. So technically he did win a Championship with SF and he is the only HW on SF roster that can say that.
But as far as I know he never won a fight where the SF HW title was on the line.
OU is offline  
post #47 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 01:25 PM
MMA Patriot
 
americanfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: louisville ky
Posts: 4,003
                     
I would say wrestling is the best base when you are firs breaking in to MMA but you have to develop other skills along the way because just wrestling won't be enough.

Of all the GOATs it seems like nost of them were wrestlers with MT and BJJ tied in second.

GSP
Hendo
Bendo
Coleman
Shamrok Bros
The Natural
Tito
Hughes
Lidell (though he never really used it)

They all started out as wrestlers or predominately use wresting in their style.

However really its hard to say their a wrestler when their really an MMA fighter

"The fat man flies at midnight"
americanfighter is offline  
post #48 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Colossal-weight
 
Sportsman 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: To achieve success, first you have to want real bad!!!
Posts: 8,070
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanfighter View Post
I would say wrestling is the best base when you are firs breaking in to MMA but you have to develop other skills along the way because just wrestling won't be enough.

Of all the GOATs it seems like nost of them were wrestlers with MT and BJJ tied in second.

GSP
Hendo
Bendo
Coleman
Shamrok Bros
The Natural
Tito
Hughes
Lidell (though he never really used it)

They all started out as wrestlers or predominately use wresting in their style.

However really its hard to say their a wrestler when their really an MMA fighter
I have a theory that it comes to the fact the great majority of these fighters are Americans and wrestling is widely train in America since young age in many schools and continuing through university.


Sully - Official Trailer HD

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
Sportsman 2.0 is offline  
post #49 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Lightweight
 
locnott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,603
                     
I think so, Dan Severn and Don Fry really showed what a good wrestler could do, them Coleman and Kerr just dominated, seems there something to that theory.


Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com App
locnott is offline  
post #50 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 03:26 PM
-DayDay Knucks-
 
HitOrGetHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 20,256
Blog Entries: 13
                     
Wrestling is definitely the best when it is complimenting something else IMO. Just due to the fact that as others have mentioned, it allows the fighter to dictate where a fight takes place.

But a pure wrestler would not fair all that well. I mean look at Brock, sure he had a few good wins, but all in all, with just the wrestling really at an elite level, he would get smoked trying to run at the title now even if he was 100%


Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com App


-Always Supporting-
Miesha Tate - Urijah Faber - Dustin Poirier - Frankie Edgar - Claudia Gadelha - Demian Maia - Jessica Eye

Sig Credit: M.C
HitOrGetHit is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome