Johny Hendricks: Nick Diaz Has Had Two Chances to Fight GSP, I Only Want One - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 12-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lightweight
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,844
Drogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianRClover View Post

As the champ I don't think you should get to pick your fights on a regular basis, but when you're a champ like GSP who has taken on and defeated all comers, requesting a single fight once every few years should be okay.
I would agree with this but there has to be limits. The fight still has to make sense. A guy coming off a loss and year long suspension makes no sense, it is absurd.
Drogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 12-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
LL
Rough Sex and Banana Pudding
 
LL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dance Class with Dom.
Posts: 8,340
LL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
I respect what Hendricks has done thus far, but here are my challenges with him against GSP.

1. People quote his college wrestling and how that will help him, but EVERY wrestler at 170 has a huge amateur pedigree and still can't stop/defend GSP's power single/double. Hendricks will be in big trouble on his back, where frankly he would be in most if not all of the fight with GSP. If Hendricks has any chance, its a punchers chance. We all know what luck punchers have against champions in this era of the UFC.

2. From a money/interest perspective Hendricks has 0 chance of selling a fight massively like a Diaz. Hate the player, and the game. The facts are the facts. He needs to find himself to sell the general public that we care enough to see it. Stalk GSP, put your finger in his chest. Cause a scene at an autograph signing.....something to make people interested. Sayin the champ is 'afraid or ducking' him or that 'I can present a threat' is what everyone says. Think outside of the box and make it marketable. Otherwise you will end up like Weidman. Good guy, but could care less right now about the match up against one of the best EVER in a division.

I get being politically correct and all, but you are a FIGHTER, not an Oprah book of the month reader. You can be intelligent AND entertaining if need be, but you have to make a splash.

3. Avoid the hype machine. Hendricks isn't any different than the guy who went to a split decision against Kos. Take nothing away from Koscheck, but really if you had a tough time with his abilities, what will you do against GSP?

At least Anderson got people excited by point blank calling GSP out. Positive or negative we all talked about it.

Can Hendricks do the same, on the level Diaz and Silva can?
So basically turn it into WWE? Show up at an autograph signing and confront him? lmao

Hendricks has sold a potential fight with GSP, not with talking but with his fighting and the truth is he has a better chance, albeit slim of beating GSP than Diaz does.

Diaz doesn't have one punch KO power, Hendricks does, and every fight starts standing and the chances of GSP getting subbed are not likely. Hendricks also has a better chance of stuffing the takedown than Diaz does.

Really don't know why people wanna see GSP/Diaz over GSP/Hendricks in all honesty, I know he'll talk trash but that doesn't matter to me, I love Chael and his antics but I'm not exactly counting down the days until Jones/Sonnen, if you know what I mean.
__________________
THE PERFECT STORM

THE PERFECT RECORD

THE PERFECT FIGHTER
LL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
Cry Havoc
 
IcemanCometh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Working in the City.
Posts: 2,911
IcemanCometh is on another level nowIcemanCometh is on another level nowIcemanCometh is on another level nowIcemanCometh is on another level nowIcemanCometh is on another level nowIcemanCometh is on another level nowIcemanCometh is on another level nowIcemanCometh is on another level nowIcemanCometh is on another level nowIcemanCometh is on another level nowIcemanCometh is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogo View Post
So the only way to make a splash is to act like a dick? Funny I thought reeling off wins was the way to make a splash.
Go talk John Fitch...guy didn't get a shot till he was 11-0 or something. Winning is great but in today's world of MMA being entertaining is just as, if not more important. Guys like Sonnen, Diaz(s), prove the point.
__________________
IcemanCometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
LL
Rough Sex and Banana Pudding
 
LL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dance Class with Dom.
Posts: 8,340
LL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanCometh View Post
Go talk John Fitch...guy didn't get a shot till he was 11-0 or something. Winning is great but in today's world of MMA being entertaining is just as, if not more important. Guys like Sonnen, Diaz(s), prove the point.
Is Hendricks not entertaining though? Is knocking your opponents senseless boring now? No. I'm aware he has that close fight with Koscheck but I honestly don't think that Nick would beat Koscheck so I don't hold it against Hendricks, imo he did better against Koscheck than Nick would.

People are acting as if Hendricks has gone in there and just wrestled up some decisions and that's not the case.
__________________
THE PERFECT STORM

THE PERFECT RECORD

THE PERFECT FIGHTER
LL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
Amateur
 
carlosevenos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: plymouth, england
Posts: 141
carlosevenos has a spectacular aura aboutcarlosevenos has a spectacular aura aboutcarlosevenos has a spectacular aura aboutcarlosevenos has a spectacular aura aboutcarlosevenos has a spectacular aura aboutcarlosevenos has a spectacular aura aboutcarlosevenos has a spectacular aura aboutcarlosevenos has a spectacular aura aboutcarlosevenos has a spectacular aura aboutcarlosevenos has a spectacular aura aboutcarlosevenos has a spectacular aura about
i just don't understand why people would prefer to see Gsp against Diaz. The fight against Hendricks is far more interesting. He actually has a shot to win.
Diaz has no chance. He doesn't have one punch knockout power and he wont submit GSP. He will just get taken down over and over again. It will be like the recent fight with Bendo and Nate, but even more lopsided. Pointless
carlosevenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #16 (permalink)
Featherweight
 
aerius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,189
aerius is on another level nowaerius is on another level nowaerius is on another level nowaerius is on another level nowaerius is on another level nowaerius is on another level nowaerius is on another level nowaerius is on another level nowaerius is on another level nowaerius is on another level nowaerius is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanCometh View Post
Go talk John Fitch...guy didn't get a shot till he was 11-0 or something. Winning is great but in today's world of MMA being entertaining is just as, if not more important.
Or Junior Dos Santos. He was knocking people out left & right in a thin HW division and it still took him 7 wins in a row in the UFC before he got a title shot. Or Machida who was 14-0 before he got a shot at Evans. Sometimes, fighters just get boned, but if they're worthy they'll get their shot at the belt. If Hendricks is as good as he's said to be, he'll keep racking up wins and he'll have his turn against the champ. Is it fair that he has to wait? Nope, but that's just the way it is sometimes.
aerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #17 (permalink)
Featherweight
 
demoman993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: City of Champions
Posts: 1,040
demoman993 is on another level nowdemoman993 is on another level nowdemoman993 is on another level nowdemoman993 is on another level nowdemoman993 is on another level nowdemoman993 is on another level nowdemoman993 is on another level nowdemoman993 is on another level nowdemoman993 is on another level nowdemoman993 is on another level nowdemoman993 is on another level now
I feel bad for Hendricks not because he's the most dangerous guy to fight GSP but he was told he was the #1 contender. Dana should have stuck to his word and let him have the title shot. Don't get me wrong, when I think of GSP vs. Diaz I get a big smile on my face because GSP will put Nick in his place.

If you look at the facts though Diaz does not deserve the fight over JH. Diaz just lost to Condit and hasn't fought since then. I don't want to start the suspension arguement but the fact remains that he's suspended for not following the set of rules that he was well aware of regardless the sillyness of the rule. He at least needs to beat someone/anyone to even be considered at #1 contender. There are lots of bad matchups at WW for Diaz too where he might have a hard time climbing the ladder again. Fitch would have him down in seconds, I'm inclined to believe that Maia would just take him down and strangle him despite him being good at BJJ himself. Rory would likely destroy him.

Anyways I'm getting off point here but if the UFC wasn't a business, and showing a fairly significant decline in total PPV buys I bet JH would have had this title shot. I think the UFC needs to make big fights on PPV to maximize buys because they are catering to Fox with amazing cards but that's a whole new can of worms.
__________________
Check out the new MMA Forum app for the Android
demoman993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #18 (permalink)
Cry Havoc
 
IcemanCometh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Working in the City.
Posts: 2,911
IcemanCometh is on another level nowIcemanCometh is on another level nowIcemanCometh is on another level nowIcemanCometh is on another level nowIcemanCometh is on another level nowIcemanCometh is on another level nowIcemanCometh is on another level nowIcemanCometh is on another level nowIcemanCometh is on another level nowIcemanCometh is on another level nowIcemanCometh is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLyotoLegion View Post
Is Hendricks not entertaining though? Is knocking your opponents senseless boring now? No. I'm aware he has that close fight with Koscheck but I honestly don't think that Nick would beat Koscheck so I don't hold it against Hendricks, imo he did better against Koscheck than Nick would.

People are acting as if Hendricks has gone in there and just wrestled up some decisions and that's not the case.
If he ran is mouth like Sonnen he would have the shot or at the very least a #1 match with Nick. No cares what you do in the Octagon as much as what you say outside of it.
__________________
IcemanCometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
log
Amateur
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 114
log Is Destined For Greatnesslog Is Destined For Greatnesslog Is Destined For Greatnesslog Is Destined For Greatnesslog Is Destined For Greatnesslog Is Destined For Greatnesslog Is Destined For Greatnesslog Is Destined For Greatnesslog Is Destined For Greatnesslog Is Destined For Greatnesslog Is Destined For Greatness
Let's be real here and look at the facts.

Old School Fans

Our entire LOVE for the sport came from Pride, we got tapes and watched them with our friends. Sure we saw the UFC 1 tapes when we were super young, and heard of guys like Gracie and Shamrock, but Pride is where our LOVE for the sport came from, where we followed numbered events, and got into the whole world of MMA.

Here is about as real as it gets.

Pride was an extension of wrestling. The fight promo was wrestling, the fighters shoot interviews were wrestling heck, Pride was LEGEBDARY for the mismatches they put together. For every Randleman versus Fedor, there were 5 Cro Cop versus Dos Caras' type fights (had to throw in the additional wrestling reference). We need to remember the past without the rose coloured glasses. Back in the day we had a lot of 'gong show' fights. Way more so than now. Yes there were legit contenders, but the 'belt' was put up a number of times in situations/fights that had no rhyme or reason for happening other than 60 thousand people would show up for it, and pay good money to see it.

People who want MMA to be a 'legit sport'

MMA is a legit sport. As much so or more than boxing is now. Matchmaking is important, but people have this fairy tale ranking system based on a couple of websites, or what a few journalists say.

Which ranking system is official in MMA? Which governing body controls who contenders are?

Exactly, they don't have one.

Look, MMA is still in its infancy as a sport, as things pan out, and the sport becomes mainstream (it still isn't) anyone who 'works up the ranks' will be a marketable household name, thus no issues. Because the sport isn't like that now, you will see fights like James Toney vs Randy.

For now, fights are for making money and spreading the word. Casual people don't have a clue as to who Hendricks is, or what he can do. Everyone that says Hendrick's "deserves a shot" follow it up with he doesn't really have much except a punchers chance against GSP for now.

As much as I respect Hendricks (honestly, I respect the hell out of anyone that takes this up as a career, and don't get it twisted I think if he continues to work on a few things, he like so many others has a solid chance) as a person who understands its as much as for money as it is for sport, I don't see the worth of him fighting GSP now.

Does he DESERVE to fight GSP? I don't contest that at all. Much like I think Fitch did 5 fights into his win streak. Will it hurt Hendricks to fight someone like a Condit, Macdonald or Mardquart (who will probably be back in the UFC soon)? Probably not. If he wins that and does something to really bring a buzz for him where he can be viewed as a legit challenger, great.

I'm not saying Diaz has any more of a chance. What I am saying is that Diaz vs GSP will bring even a casual fan to watch the fight, because both guys are marketable. Building on that can help further build the sport as well.

There is no dispute to that. It's just fact.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
LL
Rough Sex and Banana Pudding
 
LL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dance Class with Dom.
Posts: 8,340
LL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
Let's be real here and look at the facts.

Old School Fans

Our entire LOVE for the sport came from Pride, we got tapes and watched them with our friends. Sure we saw the UFC 1 tapes when we were super young, and heard of guys like Gracie and Shamrock, but Pride is where our LOVE for the sport came from, where we followed numbered events, and got into the whole world of MMA.

Here is about as real as it gets.

Pride was an extension of wrestling. The fight promo was wrestling, the fighters shoot interviews were wrestling heck, Pride was LEGEBDARY for the mismatches they put together. For every Randleman versus Fedor, there were 5 Cro Cop versus Dos Caras' type fights (had to throw in the additional wrestling reference). We need to remember the past without the rose coloured glasses. Back in the day we had a lot of 'gong show' fights. Way more so than now. Yes there were legit contenders, but the 'belt' was put up a number of times in situations/fights that had no rhyme or reason for happening other than 60 thousand people would show up for it, and pay good money to see it.

People who want MMA to be a 'legit sport'

MMA is a legit sport. As much so or more than boxing is now. Matchmaking is important, but people have this fairy tale ranking system based on a couple of websites, or what a few journalists say.

Which ranking system is official in MMA? Which governing body controls who contenders are?

Exactly, they don't have one.

Look, MMA is still in its infancy as a sport, as things pan out, and the sport becomes mainstream (it still isn't) anyone who 'works up the ranks' will be a marketable household name, thus no issues. Because the sport isn't like that now, you will see fights like James Toney vs Randy.

For now, fights are for making money and spreading the word. Casual people don't have a clue as to who Hendricks is, or what he can do. Everyone that says Hendrick's "deserves a shot" follow it up with he doesn't really have much except a punchers chance against GSP for now.

As much as I respect Hendricks (honestly, I respect the hell out of anyone that takes this up as a career, and don't get it twisted I think if he continues to work on a few things, he like so many others has a solid chance) as a person who understands its as much as for money as it is for sport, I don't see the worth of him fighting GSP now.

Does he DESERVE to fight GSP? I don't contest that at all. Much like I think Fitch did 5 fights into his win streak. Will it hurt Hendricks to fight someone like a Condit, Macdonald or Mardquart (who will probably be back in the UFC soon)? Probably not. If he wins that and does something to really bring a buzz for him where he can be viewed as a legit challenger, great.

I'm not saying Diaz has any more of a chance. What I am saying is that Diaz vs GSP will bring even a casual fan to watch the fight, because both guys are marketable. Building on that can help further build the sport as well.

There is no dispute to that. It's just fact.
Diaz over Hendricks doesn't even have anything to do with a ranking system.

Dana White and Zuffa promote the UFC as the fastest growing SPORT in the world and Dana has said time and time again this isn't Boxing. You don't even need rankings for this, Diaz lost his last fight and yes he lost, it's statistically proven he was out-struck by Condit in Rounds 1, 3, and 4 and there were no takedowns until the fourth which he didn't get so yes he lost, and Hendricks has won his last five fights, three of them in brutal fashion becoming the first man in the UFC to finish Jon Fitch and the first man to knock Kampmann out cold(keyword is out cold, I'm aware Daley and Marquardt stopped him). That has nothing to do with a ranking, that's called earning your shot but Diaz jumped to the front of the line because he hurt Frenchy's feelings, the same Nick Diaz that as Hendricks pointed out failed to do his media obligations and then lost to Condit for the interim title.

This isn't similar to the Middleweight title picture where you've got Weidman and Boetsch who both deserve a title shot, so the ranking argument holds no merit here.
__________________
THE PERFECT STORM

THE PERFECT RECORD

THE PERFECT FIGHTER
LL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios