Jones and MacDonald - Is the hate justified? - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 12-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
OU
BOOMER SOONER
 
OU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,061
OU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarny View Post
Of course the "hate" is not justified for the simple fact that it is based merely on perception derived from a small sample of sound bytes from interviews etc.

Jones and Macdonald are not bad guys out of the octagon.
Neither are Josh Koschek or Chael Sonnen or probably any other "villain" that fans might mention. I've met all 4 and they were all really down to earth guys.

Fans need to realize that seeing 0.01% of an athlete's life on tv doesn't mean you know them.

Especially when the sound bytes are coerced by asking the exact same provocative question 100 different ways.

Of course, no one is perfect. There are no doubt fighters who are a bit cocky and some will make business decisions that fans don't agree with.

That doesn't make them bad people or villains.
If you say we don't have enough information to judge these men then how can you come out and claim they are good people? Unless you personally know him don't you have an even smaller sample size to make this claim? Since you don't get to see him in every day life. If anything him drinking and driving while 2 innocent women, that aren't his fiance were in the car would suggest he isn't a good person. Considering his public quotes less then a month before saying "You will never have to worry about me having a DUI". Based on that he is a liar and cheater who endangered the lives of innocent people by driving intoxicated.
OU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 12-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
It's Hammer Time!
 
Hammerlock2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 8,509
Hammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Hate is such a strong word.

If the real Jones is anything like his spotlight persona then I probably wouldn't like to have him around me.

I have nothing against Rory. I'm not a fan of his wardrobe but that's just superficial stuff. The one reason I don't root for him is because his biggest fights are against some of my favorite fighters. Now he's fighting Condit again so I'll be rooting against him again. The easiest way to make me like him is matching him up with Marquardt or Daley.
Hammerlock2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Featherweight
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 1,065
zarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUSOONERSOU View Post
If you say we don't have enough information to judge these men then how can you come out and claim they are good people? Unless you personally know him don't you have an even smaller sample size to make this claim? Since you don't get to see him in every day life. If anything him drinking and driving while 2 innocent women, that aren't his fiance were in the car would suggest he isn't a good person. Considering his public quotes less then a month before saying "You will never have to worry about me having a DUI". Based on that he is a liar and cheater who endangered the lives of innocent people by driving intoxicated.


As you grow up and mature you'll learn that everyone makes mistakes. That doesn't mean they are bad people.

Drinking and driving is a dumb decision. Good people make dumb decisions all the time.

And don't try to tell me you've never told a lie or made any dumb decisions. One can only hope everyone judges you by your lies or dumb decisions; even if they only occured once.

As for being a liar and a cheater you once again assume intent without actually knowing.

Jones' getting caught with a DUI clearly contradicts what he had previously said but that doesn't automatically make him a liar.

He had never been caught drinking and driving previously and could very well had the intention of not drinking and driving when he said it...and then made a bad decision.

You have no way of knowing Jones cheated on his fiance simply because he was in a vehicle with two other girls. I drove my gf's friends home after a party last weekend without my gf. Doesn't make me a cheater it simply makes me a bf driving his gf's drunk ass friends home after a party.

The world isn't actually black and white. Good people make bad decisions and there are bad people that do good things.
zarny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,437
TanyaJade Is World RenownTanyaJade Is World RenownTanyaJade Is World RenownTanyaJade Is World RenownTanyaJade Is World RenownTanyaJade Is World RenownTanyaJade Is World RenownTanyaJade Is World RenownTanyaJade Is World RenownTanyaJade Is World RenownTanyaJade Is World Renown
I think the thing I'm noticing from guys like Jones, Rory, and even Weidman now is a sense of entitlement.

I think from a fan's perspective, there are plenty of reasons to dislike Jon Jones.

- He claims to espouse traditional christian values, yet his actions and words seem to contradict such. Now I know no one is perfect, but the whole DUI thing (among other things) really didn't do him any favors. This is probably why I dislike Jones.

- His hand in the UFC 151 debacle is going to be very, very hard for him to erase. I know it wasn't all his fault but essentially he was largely responsible for the loss of millions of dollars and the cancellation of an event.

- The guy is such a damn baby. I've never seen a grown man as sensitive as Jon Jones. You're a professional athlete for crying out loud, have some damn dignity.

- Jones isn't a humble guy by any means. Add that in with the fact that he grew up with limited social interaction in a sheltered environment. It's a bad combination. He says some truly ridiculous things during interviews.


Now I don't know the man personally but I would probably not get along with someone like Jones. He's an incredible competitor and athlete and he's going to hold that belt for a long, long time, but 'm never going to cheer for him.


Rory on the other hand, I don't know much about. I don't know if he's stalling a potential fight with St. Pierre, but calling out legends far out of their prime, and fighters coming off losses seems a bit douchy. Add that along with the fact that he seems to ONLY want to fight in Canada. You're employed by the UFC. You compete when and where they tell you.

That being said, I've watched a few of Rory's post fight interviews, and unlike Jones, he's honest and not going to hide who he is. Jones want to be likened to a role model when he clearly isn't one by mot standards. Rory doesn't care. He said on Saturday's post fight interview that he "doesn't fight for the fans" and that he fights for him and because he loves it. I can respect that at least.
TanyaJade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
OU
BOOMER SOONER
 
OU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,061
OU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarny View Post
As you grow up and mature you'll learn that everyone makes mistakes. That doesn't mean they are bad people.

Drinking and driving is a dumb decision. Good people make dumb decisions all the time.

And don't try to tell me you've never told a lie or made any dumb decisions. One can only hope everyone judges you by your lies or dumb decisions; even if they only occured once.

As for being a liar and a cheater you once again assume intent without actually knowing.

Jones' getting caught with a DUI clearly contradicts what he had previously said but that doesn't automatically make him a liar.

He had never been caught drinking and driving previously and could very well had the intention of not drinking and driving when he said it...and then made a bad decision.

You have no way of knowing Jones cheated on his fiance simply because he was in a vehicle with two other girls. I drove my gf's friends home after a party last weekend without my gf. Doesn't make me a cheater it simply makes me a bf driving his gf's drunk ass friends home after a party.

The world isn't actually black and white. Good people make bad decisions and there are bad people that do good things.
Nice of you to continue to assume. You don't know me and I haven't said anything immature. Everyone lies, noooooooo shit. However Jon Jones went out of his way to condem others for their actions and specifically said no one would EVER have to worry about him getting a DUI. Then less then a month later he gets a DUI, but I can't hold that against him? Just look at the recent Dallas Cowboys situation to realize how much danger he put those girls in and everyone else on the road. A DUI is not a simple mistake made by everyone. But what makes the situation worse is his recent quotes speaking out against it.
Also if you get caught, drunk, with two young women who were not your fiance/mother of your children then I think it's a very safe assumption to say something wasn't right there either. It's not like I'm just pulling these accusations out of the air, I'm basing it off the information provided.
But I guess I'm just immature and I don't have enough information to judge while you on the other hand have extensive information on his personal life and can say he isn't a bad person with certainty. I beleive you because you are so mature...
OU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manchestoorrrrrrr
Posts: 1,469
GrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound Great
I've always liked Jones because he goes out there and rag dolls his opponents all over the octagon. The kid is a straight up killer. I don't care about his personality. This isn't a reality television show, it's a bloody sport. I like Jones for the same reason I like Nick Diaz. When that cage door shuts, they go out there and deliver spectacular performances for the fans, why would any one not like that?

Rory....I'm neutral. He comes across as a bit of a geek in the spotlight, but again, this isn't Big Brother, it's the fight game, why would I care? He's quite an entertaining fighter, that's really all that matters.
GrappleRetarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
Middleweight
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Neo-Babylon
Posts: 2,513
Voiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By AllVoiceless Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrappleRetarded View Post
I've always liked Jones because he goes out there and rag dolls his opponents all over the octagon. The kid is a straight up killer. I don't care about his personality. This isn't a reality television show, it's a bloody sport. I like Jones for the same reason I like Nick Diaz. When that cage door shuts, they go out there and deliver spectacular performances for the fans, why would any one not like that?

Rory....I'm neutral. He comes across as a bit of a geek in the spotlight, but again, this isn't Big Brother, it's the fight game, why would I care? He's quite an entertaining fighter, that's really all that matters.
^This. There's people that search for too much soap opera and WWE in the sport MMA.
__________________
Voiceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manchestoorrrrrrr
Posts: 1,469
GrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound Great
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voiceless View Post
^This. There's people that search for too much soap opera and WWE in the sport MMA.
People just love a bit of drama, they can't help themselves. I like drama too......in films, and television shows, not in friggin' sporting competitions, I honestly couldn't care less.
GrappleRetarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
The Internet Prophet
 
deadmanshand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,750
deadmanshand Is among the most hated on the net.deadmanshand Is among the most hated on the net.deadmanshand Is among the most hated on the net.deadmanshand Is among the most hated on the net.deadmanshand Is among the most hated on the net.deadmanshand Is among the most hated on the net.deadmanshand Is among the most hated on the net.deadmanshand Is among the most hated on the net.deadmanshand Is among the most hated on the net.deadmanshand Is among the most hated on the net.deadmanshand Is among the most hated on the net.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarny View Post
Jones' getting caught with a DUI clearly contradicts what he had previously said but that doesn't automatically make him a liar.
Actually it does. It's pretty much the definition of the word. He promised that no one would ever have to worry about him getting a DUI and then he went and got a DUI. That's lying. He lied. He is a liar by every definition of the word.

On the original topic. I like Rory. He's intelligent, calm, and absolutely vicious in the cage. The beating he put on Penn was brutal. Made what Diaz did look like a lover's spat. Is his personality a little odd? Maybe. So what? It doesn't overshadow how entertaining of a fighter he is.

As for Jones... I really don't like him. The way he acts, the way he talks, and all the stench of hypocrisy and butthurt that rolls of him is all hard to take. And, to be honest, I've never really enjoyed any of his fights past the Bonnar fight. They've had a couple of nice moments but the overall fights have been kind of bland for me.
__________________
That is not dead which can eternal lie and withs strange aeons even death may die.
deadmanshand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manchestoorrrrrrr
Posts: 1,469
GrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatGrappleRetarded Is A Pound 4 Pound Great
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmanshand View Post
Actually it does. It's pretty much the definition of the word. He promised that no one would ever have to worry about him getting a DUI and then he went and got a DUI. That's lying. He lied. He is a liar by every definition of the word.

On the original topic. I like Rory. He's intelligent, calm, and absolutely vicious in the cage. The beating he put on Penn was brutal. Made what Diaz did look like a lover's spat. Is his personality a little odd? Maybe. So what? It doesn't overshadow how entertaining of a fighter he is.

As for Jones... I really don't like him. The way he acts, the way he talks, and all the stench of hypocrisy and butthurt that rolls of him is all hard to take. And, to be honest, I've never really enjoyed any of his fights past the Bonnar fight. They've had a couple of nice moments but the overall fights have been kind of bland for me.
Let's not get silly now. Both Diaz and Macdonald gave Penn an epic beating.
GrappleRetarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios