Where was JDS jiu jitsu?? - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 915
                     
Where was JDS jiu jitsu??

JDS doesn't fight like a guy with a black belt in jiu jitsu, imo. In fact, I've never seen him work from his guard. Instead, when got taken down (a lot), he fought to stand up, only to get taken down again. This is one of the most taxing things to do in MMA and had to contribute to his running out of gas.

Would he have been better off working from guard, conserving some energy and going for subs like Andy Silva?
mastodon2222 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 08:58 PM
LL
Cruz Control
 
LL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ocean Front Property in Arizona.
Posts: 9,159
                     
I believe getting put on his back broke Junior mentally.

He said after the fight he didn't even try to work ju-jitsu he just wanted to get back up, and I believe that is what cost him the fight, the fact that Cain was able to break him.

They're destined to fight again though and Junior clearly knows his game needs work, ju-jitsu and learning how to fight and fight calmly off his back will be a big factor for him going forward, I hope so anyway. I'd hate to see him become the Heavyweight Rampage.

2013 VIP FFL Champion
THE DRAGON RIDES AGAIN - 12/20/14
Machida - Alves - Cruz - JDS - Weidman - Condit - Pettis - Edgar - Cowboy - Dodson - Okami
LL is offline  
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 09:02 PM
Welterweight
 
BrianRClover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Saint Louis MO
Posts: 2,384
                     
That's a good question. Junior knows what it's like to get simply overwhelmed now... in my opinion, it was a ridiculous amount of "wall and stall", but I'm a biased JDS fan, and have never cared for Cain.

Either way, I expect to see the best Junior we've ever seen his next time out, much like Cain did when he was on the other side of this equation.
BrianRClover is offline  
post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manchestoorrrrrrr
Posts: 1,469
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianRClover View Post
That's a good question. Junior knows what it's like to get simply overwhelmed now... in my opinion, it was a ridiculous amount of "wall and stall", but I'm a biased JDS fan, and have never cared for Cain.

Either way, I expect to see the best Junior we've ever seen his next time out, much like Cain did when he was on the other side of this equation.
There was hardly any wall and stall. When Cain had Junior up against the fence, the vast majority of the time he was dirty boxing the snot out of him and pounding on his rib cage like it was a frozen piece of beef in the chiller. When he wasn't dirty boxing, he was latching onto single legs and dumping Junior onto the mat. I counted four times throughout the fight where JDS grabbing onto the cage prevented Cain from taking him down.

As for his BJJ, as I expected, it's rubbish. There's a reason his entire career he's treated the octagon floor like deadly lava from a Sonic The Hedgehog game, because he sucks there - and like in Sonic, if he falls into that lava, it's pretty much GAME OVER.

Last edited by GrappleRetarded; 12-30-2012 at 09:30 PM.
GrappleRetarded is offline  
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 915
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLyotoLegion View Post
I believe getting put on his back broke Junior mentally.

He said after the fight he didn't even try to work ju-jitsu he just wanted to get back up, and I believe that is what cost him the fight, the fact that Cain was able to break him.

They're destined to fight again though and Junior clearly knows his game needs work, ju-jitsu and learning how to fight and fight calmly off his back will be a big factor for him going forward, I hope so anyway. I'd hate to see him become the Heavyweight Rampage.
Agree. If he goes into III with the same plan, they might as well re-play fight ll.
mastodon2222 is offline  
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 915
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrappleRetarded View Post
There was hardly any wall and stall. When Cain had Junior up against the fence, the vast majority of the time he was dirty boxing the snot out of him and pounding on his rib cage like it was a frozen piece of beef in the chiller. When he wasn't dirty boxing, he was latching onto single legs and dumping Junior onto the mat. I counted four times throughout the fight where JDS grabbing onto the cage prevented Cain from taking him down.

As for his BJJ, as I expected, it's rubbish. There's a reason his entire career he's treated the octagon floor like deadly lava from a Sonic The Hedgehog game, because he sucks there - and like in Sonic, if he falls into that lava, it's pretty much GAME OVER.
This from JDS' BJJ coach:
<<Now the master who discovered him eight years ago says that 'Cigano' is probably going to at last demonstrate the quality of his game on the ground when he faces Cain Velasquez to defend the heavyweight title.

Junior Cigano’s chance to prove how legit his black belt is on December 29th in the main fight of UFC 155, when he faces off with Cain Velasquez for the second time. .


I have to agree - JDS is a one dimensional fighter with decent TDD (while he's still fresh) but no ground game to speak of.
mastodon2222 is offline  
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 09:49 PM
Megaweight
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,499
                     
I think he forgot to use it.

Honestly though it has been said many times that just because someone is good at something it doesn't mean they can transition it into MMA. I wonder if he focuses so much on just getting up that he doesn't even try.
cdtcpl is offline  
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pryor Oklahoma
Posts: 947
                     
I think its funny all the people talking about how ONE DIMENSIONAL JDS is after his first lost.....the same thing people did after CAINS one loss to JDS....its like a room full of retarded kids arguing over who gets to wear the shiny new helmet first.
EVERLOST is offline  
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 12:02 AM
Lightweight
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,655
                     
JDS BJJ has been spoken about like some mythical power like a focussed Melvin Guillard. No one has even seen it but because he trains with Nog he must be word class.
Hellboy is offline  
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 12:16 AM
Bantamweight
 
BOOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 990
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLOST View Post
I think its funny all the people talking about how ONE DIMENSIONAL JDS is after his first lost.....the same thing people did after CAINS one loss to JDS....its like a room full of retarded kids arguing over who gets to wear the shiny new helmet first.
JDS was considered one dimensional by many people before his loss yesterday, last night Cain just exposed it a hell of a lot more for everyone to see.
BOOM is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome