MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos

MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos (http://www.mmaforum.com/)
-   UFC (http://www.mmaforum.com/ufc/)
-   -   UFC on FOX 7 will feature Bendo vs. Melendez AND Cormier vs. Mir (http://www.mmaforum.com/ufc/109706-ufc-fox-7-will-feature-bendo-vs-melendez-cormier-vs-mir.html)

Budhisten 01-15-2013 06:38 PM

UFC on FOX 7 will feature Bendo vs. Melendez AND Cormier vs. Mir
 
Quote:

As with other recent installments of the event series, UFC on FOX 7 will get a loaded lineup, including a title fight and a major heavyweight bout.

In his first fight since the closing of his former home, final Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez (21-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) will challenge UFC titleholder Benson Henderson (18-2 MMA, 6-0 UFC).

Additionally, Strikeforce import Daniel Cormier (11-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) will meet fellow heavyweight and rival Frank Mir (16-6 MMA, 14-6 UFC).

MMAjunkie.com confirmed the plans with event sources. Yahoo! Sports initially reported them, and UFC officials formally announced them soon after.

UFC on FOX 7 takes place April 20 at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif. The main card airs on FOX following prelims on FX and Facebook.

As MMAjunkie.com recently reported, Henderson recently signed a new longterm UFC contract and was targeting a matchup with Melendez.

Since his time in the WEC, where he once held the lightweight title, Henderson has posted a 6-0 mark in the UFC with six decision wins. He won the title in early 2012 with a victory over then-champ Frankie Edgar, and then defended it in an immediate rematch with Edgar. Then, back in December in UFC on FOX 5's headliner, he posted a victory over top contender Nate Diaz.

Melendez, meanwhile, is on a seven-fight win streak of his own. The longtime Strikeforce titleholder was slated to fight Pat Healy this past weekend at Strikeforce's final show, but he was forced off the card with a shoulder injury. His recent wins have come over top non-UFC lightweights, including Shinya Aoki, Tatsuya Kawajiri, Jorge Masvidal and Josh Thomson.

Cormier, meanwhile, was expected to fight Frank Mir at a Strikeforce event in November that later was canceled. So this past weekend, Cormier instead fought and easily handled 20-to-1 underdog Dion Staring. It marked the Strikeforce world grand-prix winner and standout amateur wrestler's 11th straight victory, which also included Strikeforce wins over Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva and Josh Barnett. Although Cormier has suggested he's likely to move down to light heavyweight this year, he recently said he first wanted to fight Mir.

Mir, a former UFC champion, hasn't fought since a failed bid to take Junior dos Santos' heavyweight belt this past May. prior to the TKO loss, the jiu-jitsu ace had posted a string of wins over notables Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic, Roy Nelson and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. The "Big Nog" victory, which saw Mir break his opponent's arm, recently netted him 2012 World MMA Awards for best submission and best comeback.
Source: MMAjunkie.com

God I love the FOX shows :)

LL 01-15-2013 06:54 PM

Something about Cormier rubs me the wrong way, I don't quite know what it is that said, I've never rooted for Frank Mir before and I probably won't root for him here.

So I have no personal favorite but I will take Cormier by some sort of mauling on the ground, I'd laugh my ass off if Mir subbed him though. I think the real question is, will Mir deliver his evil satanic black magic on Cormier and cause him to lose his next fight?

El Bresko 01-15-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLyotoLegion (Post 1690146)
Something about Cormier rubs me the wrong way, I don't quite know what it is that said

Do you mean that he said something, and it rubbed you the wrong way, but you don't remember exactly what it is?

(There's no problem with that, just clarifying)

Cormier will MAUL Mir, if he doesn't want to take it to the ground he will KO him like he did Bigfoot. If he does want to take it to the ground he'll beat Mir into a bloody mess while he tries to work from his guard.

IMO Barnett is better than Nog and Mir.

the ultimate 01-15-2013 07:09 PM

I think Cormier's one of the most likeable guys in MMA. And he's a fantastic fighter as well. He's going to destroy Mir.

LL 01-15-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Bresko (Post 1690170)
Do you mean that he said something, and it rubbed you the wrong way, but you don't remember exactly what it is?

(There's no problem with that, just clarifying)

Cormier will MAUL Mir, if he doesn't want to take it to the ground he will KO him like he did Bigfoot. If he does want to take it to the ground he'll beat Mir into a bloody mess while he tries to work from his guard.

IMO Barnett is better than Nog and Mir.

I think it's because he keeps talking about Jones but he's taking this Mir fight, if he's gonna fight at 205 he needs to go to 205. I feel Mir is a very easy match up for him so that's probably why I don't quite like him, good fighter though.

jonnyg4508 01-15-2013 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by the ultimate (Post 1690202)
I think Cormier's one of the most likeable guys in MMA. And he's a fantastic fighter as well. He's going to destroy Mir.

Agreed. I think he has a shot to be pretty damn good the more fights he gets. He should look to branch out a bit more. Think if he asked a guy like Barnett to help him out with some catch wrestling.

I think Cormier weighed in at 238 vs Barnett and 230 last time out. Which obviously is from him eventually going to 205. We may see him with less power than he has had as he drops weight.

jonnyg4508 01-15-2013 07:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLyotoLegion (Post 1690218)
I think it's because he keeps talking about Jones but he's taking this Mir fight, if he's gonna fight at 205 he needs to go to 205. I feel Mir is a very easy match up for him so that's probably why I don't quite like him, good fighter though.

He feels as if he was ready for the Mir fight and Mir pulled out. He is making his cut slowly. It takes GSP 1 year to put on 5 good lbs he says, so we can give Cormier 1 more fight to cut down a weight class.

Who would he fight at 205 right now? There isn't a fighter out there without a fight. Thiago Silva?

El Bresko 01-15-2013 07:26 PM

He almost died due to kidney failure because he tried to cut too much weight once. He did that for years but finally it caught up with him.

In order to stay alive he must lose weight, not cut weight. He will drop to about 220 and then cut 15lbs. His body can't handle a serious cut anymore.

LL 01-15-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 (Post 1690242)
He feels as if he was ready for the Mir fight and Mir pulled out. He is making his cut slowly. It takes GSP 1 year to put on 5 good lbs he says, so we can give Cormier 1 more fight to cut down a weight class.

Who would he fight at 205 right now? There isn't a fighter out there without a fight. Thiago Silva?

GSP also didn't call out Anderson or Bendo and say he was gonna "kick their ass in the fall." words I believe Bones will make him eat if they ever fight.

If Cormier wants Jones, make the drop, Gus is free, Glover fights in a few days, 'Shad fights on February 2nd, Davis is free, there's a lot of guys out there he can fight. Mir's chin has taken a beating over the years due to Brock, Carwin, and Junior and I feel that it's a very easy match up for DC, I know they were supposed to fight before but like I said, if you want the Light Heavyweight title and you're not interested in fighting for the Heavyweight title, you need to make that drop.

El Bresko 01-15-2013 07:28 PM

It's a gradual thing, he'll be lighter again in the Mir fight and then by Fall he'll be ready for 205. It's not as if destroying Mir changes the title picture at all.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8 , Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2