***OFFICIAL*** UFC on FOX 6 Prelims Thread - Page 13 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

View Poll Results: Your predictions

T.J. Grant VS 11 64.71%
Matt Wiman 5 29.41%
Clay Guida VS 14 82.35%
Hatsu Hioki 1 5.88%
Ryan Bader VS 12 70.59%
Vladimir Matyushenko 2 11.76%
David Mitchell VS 6 35.29%
Simeon Thoresen 6 35.29%
Shawn Jordan VS 4 23.53%
Mike Russow 9 52.94%
Pascal Krauss VS 9 52.94%
Mike Stumpf 4 23.53%
Rafael Natal VS 11 64.71%
Sean Spencer 2 11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

Old 01-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #121 (permalink)
 
Toxic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: See that guy over in the window, with the binoculars?
Posts: 20,902
Toxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among Men
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
No he's not. He just won a fight he shouldn't of won vs. a guy with not much TDD at all. He won a crappy split.

He will lose to most anyone who he can't take down and hold down. I mean he could always steal a bad striking contest, because judges and some fans think his punches actually land....when they hit guys in the arm or he just comes away with air.

Guida is terrible. Not that I expected much. But I expected a little more coming off the most shameful performance from a UFC fighter in years.

Guida would lose to Lentz. He will lose to sub guys if he ever did anything on the ground. Instead he hugs against the corner of the cage or throws little elbows.

He stole a fight on the cards, like vintage Greg Jackson game plans are meant to do. Maybe he would steal fights all the way to the top....but I doubt it.
You can start the age old argument that control is weighed to heavily but it doesn't change the fact that its how the sport is scored and Guida can work it. People are forgetting a guy like Denis Siver was a mediocre LW and he is lighting the world on fire at FW not because he was a small LW but because the entire FW division is a step back, hell Lentz himself dropped two fights to mid level LW's. Guys like Guida and Edgar are gonna expose the lower talent level at FW. Look at Kenny Florian the guy moved down got a title shot and had a somewhat competitive fight with the division kingpin despite the fact that KenFlo looked god awful at FW, he physically looked drained and unhealthy. Guida was a perenial contender at LW because despite the hate he is a very competent fighter who just wasn't good enough to earn a title shot at LW. He is good enough to earn that shot at FW and IMO will likely establish himself as the #2 guy in the division.
__________________



"If you get hit and it hurts hit him back you not knocked out yet."-Joe Doerksen
The Toxic Terrors (FFL)
Demetrious Johnson*Eduardo Dantas*Rafael Silva*Zach Makovsky*Michael Page



Toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 01-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #122 (permalink)
Ultra-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,904
jonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
You can start the age old argument that control is weighed to heavily but it doesn't change the fact that its how the sport is scored and Guida can work it. People are forgetting a guy like Denis Siver was a mediocre LW and he is lighting the world on fire at FW not because he was a small LW but because the entire FW division is a step back, hell Lentz himself dropped two fights to mid level LW's. Guys like Guida and Edgar are gonna expose the lower talent level at FW. Look at Kenny Florian the guy moved down got a title shot and had a somewhat competitive fight with the division kingpin despite the fact that KenFlo looked god awful at FW, he physically looked drained and unhealthy. Guida was a perenial contender at LW because despite the hate he is a very competent fighter who just wasn't good enough to earn a title shot at LW. He is good enough to earn that shot at FW and IMO will likely establish himself as the #2 guy in the division.
I understand Guida can win with control.

I'm saying last night wasn't some good example of it or some evidence that he will beat a ton of guys at 145. He won a split decision using his best grinding. Many thought he lost. Wasn't like he went out there and won a 30-27 Fitch Grind. I understand grinding works. But winning a split than many felt he lost isn't some foreshadow to what he will do.

Siver has looked WAY better at 145. Guida didn't look any better last night than his usual fight at 155 vs. decent opponents. Yes 145 is a easier division. He will beat his share, but he will easily lose vs. the Mendes' of the world. Hioki has crap TDD and Guida struggled to wrestle him many times. Guida's wrestling isn't that of a Mendes or even close. His striking sucks. His BJJ defense is solid.

Sure he will win some fights. But cruise through until he reaches the top 2 guys? Doubtful. Nothing he did last night says he will. Unless you truly believe Hioki is a legit top 5 FW. A guy with even decent TDD will stuff Guida many times.

I would pick these guys over him with confidence: obviously Aldo and Edgar. Poirier, Mendes, Lamas, Lentz, Siver. I think Stun Gun would have a good chance to pull something off. Yahya would be a handful on the ground. Hell Manny may beat him. Bart P would give Guida a good run. Oliveria would be a handful on the ground. Not sure about Cub. Need to see more of Hacran Dias before I make any judgement there. Koch with his length would be a handful for Guida to take down and keep there. Standing he would murder Guida.
jonnyg4508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #123 (permalink)
The Chosen One
 
Cookie Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada's East Coast
Posts: 1,481
Blog Entries: 5
Cookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
I understand Guida can win with control.

I'm saying last night wasn't some good example of it or some evidence that he will beat a ton of guys at 145. He won a split decision using his best grinding. Many thought he lost. Wasn't like he went out there and won a 30-27 Fitch Grind. I understand grinding works. But winning a split than many felt he lost isn't some foreshadow to what he will do.

Siver has looked WAY better at 145. Guida didn't look any better last night than his usual fight at 155 vs. decent opponents. Yes 145 is a easier division. He will beat his share, but he will easily lose vs. the Mendes' of the world. Hioki has crap TDD and Guida struggled to wrestle him many times. Guida's wrestling isn't that of a Mendes or even close. His striking sucks. His BJJ defense is solid.

Sure he will win some fights. But cruise through until he reaches the top 2 guys? Doubtful. Nothing he did last night says he will. Unless you truly believe Hioki is a legit top 5 FW. A guy with even decent TDD will stuff Guida many times.

I would pick these guys over him with confidence: obviously Aldo and Edgar. Poirier, Mendes, Lamas, Lentz, Siver. I think Stun Gun would have a good chance to pull something off. Yahya would be a handful on the ground. Hell Manny may beat him. Bart P would give Guida a good run. Oliveria would be a handful on the ground. Not sure about Cub. Need to see more of Hacran Dias before I make any judgement there. Koch with his length would be a handful for Guida to take down and keep there. Standing he would murder Guida.
You kind of contradict yourself here, how can Hioki have crap takedown, then you say that a guy with decent TDD will stuff Guida many times. Hioki stuffed 3/6 last night. 50% is a great percentage to post against a guy like Guida.

Sent from my HTC Ruby using VerticalSports.Com App
__________________
The poster formerly known as Cowgirl


Thanks to Killz for the great sig!

Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #124 (permalink)
It's Hammer Time!
 
Hammerlock2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 8,392
Hammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemHammerlock2.0 Is Beyond A Rankings System
The fact that Guida won that decision just frustates me to no end. I'm not sure how many more decisions like that I can take before I turn BobbyCooper. I hate the fact that Hioki has to see that L every time he looks at his record.
Hammerlock2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:46 PM   #125 (permalink)
Ultra-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,904
jonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
You kind of contradict yourself here, how can Hioki have crap takedown, then you say that a guy with decent TDD will stuff Guida many times. Hioki stuffed 3/6 last night. 50% is a great percentage to post against a guy like Guida.

Sent from my HTC Ruby using VerticalSports.Com App
Its not really a contradiction.

Hioki who isn't a good wrestler stuffed half of them. Where did I ever say he didn't stuff a great % of them. I say watch him vs. a guy with even decent TDD...Guida will have even more trouble with TDs.

Hioki stuffed enough of them last night and deserved to win. And his wrestling isn't even good. A guy with decent TDD will stuff him probably more than Guida completes on him. Or won't let Guida get a TD at all. In which he can't lay n pray and win a decision.
jonnyg4508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #126 (permalink)
Ultra-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,904
jonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Round-by-round striking totals of Hioki-Guida, per @FightMetric: 1) HH 31-16; 2) HH 23-12; 3) HH 20-12. Total: Hioki 74, Guida 40.

Hioki straight robbed.

Guida isn't winning cruising threw anyone at 145 with performances like this. Judges are bound to get 1 right.

Guida is a disgrace. I used to cheer for the guy. Not anymore, no f'ing way.
jonnyg4508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #127 (permalink)
LL
Rough Sex and Banana Pudding
 
LL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dance Class with Dom.
Posts: 8,429
LL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
Round-by-round striking totals of Hioki-Guida, per @FightMetric: 1) HH 31-16; 2) HH 23-12; 3) HH 20-12. Total: Hioki 74, Guida 40.

Hioki straight robbed.

Guida isn't winning cruising threw anyone at 145 with performances like this. Judges are bound to get 1 right.

Guida is a disgrace. I used to cheer for the guy. Not anymore, no f'ing way.
There was no controversy in regards to the stand up, Hioki clearly won but he couldn't keep Guida from taking him down, you've been watching MMA long enough to know takedowns are favored over striking.

I agree with you though(shocker!) that when he fights a guy like Mendes or Edgar that provided he doesn't try to pull his bullshit run in a circle gameplan he did against Maynard he's gonna get worked.
__________________
THE PERFECT STORM

THE PERFECT RECORD

THE PERFECT FIGHTER
LL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #128 (permalink)
Ultra-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,904
jonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLyotoLegion View Post
There was no controversy in regards to the stand up, Hioki clearly won but he couldn't keep Guida from taking him down, you've been watching MMA long enough to know takedowns are favored over striking.

I agree with you though(shocker!) that when he fights a guy like Mendes or Edgar that provided he doesn't try to pull his bullshit run in a circle gameplan he did against Maynard he's gonna get worked.
I'm not in shock he won. I'm used to it these days. But he did nothing with the TDs and was stuffed just as many times as got completed. Then Hioki threatened with subs and beat him up more off his back than Guida did from top.

Guida is terrible. One of the least skilled guys in all of MMA. I'm sick of judges confusing energy with effectiveness. Like Sanchez, he just wings terrible strikes that don't land and somehow gets points for it.

I figured after his last fight vs. Maynard he would have been more of a fighter this fight. But no. Dana probably doesn't even like him, but he is a name with a character to portray, so he will get good fights and probably back on the main card.

Hope they give him someone who would just steamroll him. Get him out of there. I think Lentz would beat the hell out of him.
jonnyg4508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios