MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos

MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos (http://www.mmaforum.com/)
-   UFC (http://www.mmaforum.com/ufc/)
-   -   Eddie Alvarez denied UFC 159 spot, legal battle to continue (http://www.mmaforum.com/ufc/112210-eddie-alvarez-denied-ufc-159-spot-legal-battle-continue.html)

LL 01-25-2013 11:38 PM

Eddie Alvarez denied UFC 159 spot, legal battle to continue
 

Toxic 01-25-2013 11:49 PM

I can't believe he lost the judge said he failed to show the undo hardship he would be forced to endure because of this (major money should be easy to prove) and also that spike and Fox are not equals which should be incredibly easy to prove since neither the UFC or Bellator have done the numbers on Spike that the UFC has done on Fox. Im am blown away by this to be honest.

MagiK11 01-26-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toxic (Post 1728922)
I can't believe he lost the judge said he failed to show the undo hardship he would be forced to endure because of this (major money should be easy to prove) and also that spike and Fox are not equals which should be incredibly easy to prove since neither the UFC or Bellator have done the numbers on Spike that the UFC has done on Fox. Im am blown away by this to be honest.

Hey toxic, I just have a feeling the judge did not want to set a legal precedent/precedence for every single fighter that will be trying to jump ship in the future. I might be wrong since I never studied law, but it's the only thing I can think of because I totally agree with your post.

Drogo 01-26-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toxic (Post 1728922)
I can't believe he lost the judge said he failed to show the undo hardship he would be forced to endure because of this (major money should be easy to prove) and also that spike and Fox are not equals which should be incredibly easy to prove since neither the UFC or Bellator have done the numbers on Spike that the UFC has done on Fox. Im am blown away by this to be honest.

Probably his reasoning is that there is no undo hardship because he isn't being forced to miss his UFC debut forever, just not soon. If he can't fight at 159 he ends up fighting at 165 or whatever if he wins the legal battle. I think Alvarez will win in court but this ruling makes sense to me.

Oeshon 01-26-2013 09:53 AM

Honestly either way this works out pretty good for Eddie.

Even if he is forced to continue in Bellator, he will be making a SHITLOAD of money and fighting easier competition.

Bellator is also getting a lot more exposure now that they are paired up with Spike and Viacom.

LL 01-26-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oeshon (Post 1730074)
Honestly either way this works out pretty good for Eddie.

Even if he is forced to continue in Bellator, he will be making a SHITLOAD of money and fighting easier competition.

Bellator is also getting a lot more exposure now that they are paired up with Spike and Viacom.

Not really.

Alvarez was supposed to be on UFC 159 which is the Jones/Sonnen card, with the TUF build up that card is gonna be heavily promoted and will easily do a good buyrate, Alvarez missed out on a potential million dollar bonus and he's missing out on big time sponsorships. If he ends up going back to Bellator than what does he have to look forward to? Michael Chandler, that's it. In the UFC even if he got a title shot and lost to Ben, look at who he could fight, Gil, Maynard, Miller, Lauzon, Pettis, Cerrone, Diaz and that's just naming a few.

And now Bellator might have to deal with their top guys like Chandler, Askren, Mo, Curran, and Dantas asking for contracts like Alvarez'

As for Bellator's exposure, this is not good for them at all, between this, Tyson Nam, Roger Hollett, and Jonathon Brookins, Bellator is looking very bad and very shady and many feel they're doing Eddie wrong.

And then Bjorn had the audacity to suggest UFC 156 wouldn't even hit 200,000 buys and that FOX and Spike are on the same level. They both have terrible programming outside of their MMA content but FOX is a million times bigger than Spike.

OHKO 01-26-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oeshon (Post 1730074)
Honestly either way this works out pretty good for Eddie.

Even if he is forced to continue in Bellator, he will be making a SHITLOAD of money and fighting easier competition.

Bellator is also getting a lot more exposure now that they are paired up with Spike and Viacom.

Well the professional career of a MMA fighter is so short that these fighters want to make as much money as possible in that short career span. The PPV cut that Alvarez has in his UFC contract might get as high as 7~10 times of his base pay. Also, joining the UFC would mean much more exposure and that would mean more big money sponsors. Alvarez would make much more money in the UFC.

Oeshon 01-26-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHKO (Post 1730106)
Well the professional career of a MMA fighter is so short that these fighters want to make as much money as possible in that short career span. The PPV cut that Alvarez has in his UFC contract might get as high as 7~10 times of his base pay. Also, joining the UFC would mean much more exposure and that would mean more big money sponsors. Alvarez would make much more money in the UFC.

I agree that he has the "potential" to make more than the UFC but it isn't 100%

If he loses then he isn't going to make more in the UFC. LW division is extremely deep and Eddie gets dropped in every single fight he is in.

The bidding/matching war has driven up his value in Belletor where he now has a VERY good contract. He can make VERY good money fighting much easier competition. Sure, his earning potential is higher in the UFC, but that is dependent on actually winning against MUCH better fighters.

From a strictly monetary standpoint he could very well be better off being a big fish in a small pond, rather than a middle of the road fighter in the UFC.

I am not convinced he would be champion in the UFC, and I think there are plenty of guys that would beat Eddie fairly easily in the division.

Same reason why Khalidov is still fighting in Poland instead of the UFC.

Toxic 01-26-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagiK11 (Post 1729946)
Hey toxic, I just have a feeling the judge did not want to set a legal precedent/precedence for every single fighter that will be trying to jump ship in the future. I might be wrong since I never studied law, but it's the only thing I can think of because I totally agree with your post.

Makes sense I suspose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drogo (Post 1730066)
Probably his reasoning is that there is no undo hardship because he isn't being forced to miss his UFC debut forever, just not soon. If he can't fight at 159 he ends up fighting at 165 or whatever if he wins the legal battle. I think Alvarez will win in court but this ruling makes sense to me.

MMA Careers are rather short the time span the legal battle will take will easily mean 1 or 2 less fights in his career for Eddie who has not been super active because of Bellator's format already. I think its pretty easy to say it cost Eddie around a million dollars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLyotoLegion (Post 1730098)
Not really.

Alvarez was supposed to be on UFC 159 which is the Jones/Sonnen card, with the TUF build up that card is gonna be heavily promoted and will easily do a good buyrate, Alvarez missed out on a potential million dollar bonus and he's missing out on big time sponsorships. If he ends up going back to Bellator than what does he have to look forward to? Michael Chandler, that's it. In the UFC even if he got a title shot and lost to Ben, look at who he could fight, Gil, Maynard, Miller, Lauzon, Pettis, Cerrone, Diaz and that's just naming a few.

And now Bellator might have to deal with their top guys like Chandler, Askren, Mo, Curran, and Dantas asking for contracts like Alvarez'

As for Bellator's exposure, this is not good for them at all, between this, Tyson Nam, Roger Hollett, and Jonathon Brookins, Bellator is looking very bad and very shady and many feel they're doing Eddie wrong.

And then Bjorn had the audacity to suggest UFC 156 wouldn't even hit 200,000 buys and that FOX and Spike are on the same level. They both have terrible programming outside of their MMA content but FOX is a million times bigger than Spike.

Oh yeah they just likely made there biggest contract offered ever to a fighter public knowledge and its not to the guy who they should consider #1 in his division. Think Chandelr won't want Alvarez money considering he beat him? Think these guys are gonna not look at the way Eddie is being dragged through court and ask for more money if they will be restricted. Bellator's big card to lure fighters like Mo was always that they were less restrictive and frankly that card just went flying off the table so now they gotta talk with there wallets. I personally think this is the first brick to fall in what will ultimately be Bellator's demise, everything looks great now but the ship is taking on water.

The Best Around 01-26-2013 11:12 AM

Damn. Sucks. He could lose out on 500K+ just on missing this fight alone. Nothing else to say.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8 , Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2