Eddie Alvarez denied UFC 159 spot, legal battle to continue - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 01-26-2013, 12:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
LL
Cruz Control
 
LL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ocean Front Property in Arizona.
Posts: 9,068
LL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings System
Eddie Alvarez denied UFC 159 spot, legal battle to continue

__________________
2013 VIP FFL Champion
THE DRAGON RIDES AGAIN - 12/20/14
Machida - Alves - Cruz - JDS - Weidman - Condit - Pettis - Edgar - Cowboy - Dodson - Okami
LL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 01-26-2013, 12:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

 
Toxic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: See that guy over in the window, with the binoculars?
Posts: 21,379
Toxic Is UntouchableToxic Is UntouchableToxic Is UntouchableToxic Is UntouchableToxic Is UntouchableToxic Is UntouchableToxic Is UntouchableToxic Is UntouchableToxic Is UntouchableToxic Is UntouchableToxic Is Untouchable
I can't believe he lost the judge said he failed to show the undo hardship he would be forced to endure because of this (major money should be easy to prove) and also that spike and Fox are not equals which should be incredibly easy to prove since neither the UFC or Bellator have done the numbers on Spike that the UFC has done on Fox. Im am blown away by this to be honest.
__________________



"If you get hit and it hurts hit him back you not knocked out yet."-Joe Doerksen
The Toxic Terrors (FFL)
Demetrious Johnson*Eduardo Dantas*Emanuel Newton*Will Brooks*Michael Page



Toxic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Resident Drunk
 
MagiK11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,535
MagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
I can't believe he lost the judge said he failed to show the undo hardship he would be forced to endure because of this (major money should be easy to prove) and also that spike and Fox are not equals which should be incredibly easy to prove since neither the UFC or Bellator have done the numbers on Spike that the UFC has done on Fox. Im am blown away by this to be honest.
Hey toxic, I just have a feeling the judge did not want to set a legal precedent/precedence for every single fighter that will be trying to jump ship in the future. I might be wrong since I never studied law, but it's the only thing I can think of because I totally agree with your post.
__________________

1. BJ "The Prodigy" Penn
2. Dan "Hollywood" Henderson
3. George "Rush" St Pierre
MagiK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lightweight
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,844
Drogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
I can't believe he lost the judge said he failed to show the undo hardship he would be forced to endure because of this (major money should be easy to prove) and also that spike and Fox are not equals which should be incredibly easy to prove since neither the UFC or Bellator have done the numbers on Spike that the UFC has done on Fox. Im am blown away by this to be honest.
Probably his reasoning is that there is no undo hardship because he isn't being forced to miss his UFC debut forever, just not soon. If he can't fight at 159 he ends up fighting at 165 or whatever if he wins the legal battle. I think Alvarez will win in court but this ruling makes sense to me.
Drogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Australia/Thailand
Posts: 14
Oeshon has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Honestly either way this works out pretty good for Eddie.

Even if he is forced to continue in Bellator, he will be making a SHITLOAD of money and fighting easier competition.

Bellator is also getting a lot more exposure now that they are paired up with Spike and Viacom.
Oeshon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
LL
Cruz Control
 
LL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ocean Front Property in Arizona.
Posts: 9,068
LL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLL Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeshon View Post
Honestly either way this works out pretty good for Eddie.

Even if he is forced to continue in Bellator, he will be making a SHITLOAD of money and fighting easier competition.

Bellator is also getting a lot more exposure now that they are paired up with Spike and Viacom.
Not really.

Alvarez was supposed to be on UFC 159 which is the Jones/Sonnen card, with the TUF build up that card is gonna be heavily promoted and will easily do a good buyrate, Alvarez missed out on a potential million dollar bonus and he's missing out on big time sponsorships. If he ends up going back to Bellator than what does he have to look forward to? Michael Chandler, that's it. In the UFC even if he got a title shot and lost to Ben, look at who he could fight, Gil, Maynard, Miller, Lauzon, Pettis, Cerrone, Diaz and that's just naming a few.

And now Bellator might have to deal with their top guys like Chandler, Askren, Mo, Curran, and Dantas asking for contracts like Alvarez'

As for Bellator's exposure, this is not good for them at all, between this, Tyson Nam, Roger Hollett, and Jonathon Brookins, Bellator is looking very bad and very shady and many feel they're doing Eddie wrong.

And then Bjorn had the audacity to suggest UFC 156 wouldn't even hit 200,000 buys and that FOX and Spike are on the same level. They both have terrible programming outside of their MMA content but FOX is a million times bigger than Spike.
__________________
2013 VIP FFL Champion
THE DRAGON RIDES AGAIN - 12/20/14
Machida - Alves - Cruz - JDS - Weidman - Condit - Pettis - Edgar - Cowboy - Dodson - Okami
LL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
SOOTHE YOUR SAVAGE BREASTS
 
OHKO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,501
OHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of Knowledge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeshon View Post
Honestly either way this works out pretty good for Eddie.

Even if he is forced to continue in Bellator, he will be making a SHITLOAD of money and fighting easier competition.

Bellator is also getting a lot more exposure now that they are paired up with Spike and Viacom.
Well the professional career of a MMA fighter is so short that these fighters want to make as much money as possible in that short career span. The PPV cut that Alvarez has in his UFC contract might get as high as 7~10 times of his base pay. Also, joining the UFC would mean much more exposure and that would mean more big money sponsors. Alvarez would make much more money in the UFC.
__________________
Anderson Silva
Aldo - Dos Anjos - Mayday - Weidman - Machida - Jones
OHKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Australia/Thailand
Posts: 14
Oeshon has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKO View Post
Well the professional career of a MMA fighter is so short that these fighters want to make as much money as possible in that short career span. The PPV cut that Alvarez has in his UFC contract might get as high as 7~10 times of his base pay. Also, joining the UFC would mean much more exposure and that would mean more big money sponsors. Alvarez would make much more money in the UFC.
I agree that he has the "potential" to make more than the UFC but it isn't 100%

If he loses then he isn't going to make more in the UFC. LW division is extremely deep and Eddie gets dropped in every single fight he is in.

The bidding/matching war has driven up his value in Belletor where he now has a VERY good contract. He can make VERY good money fighting much easier competition. Sure, his earning potential is higher in the UFC, but that is dependent on actually winning against MUCH better fighters.

From a strictly monetary standpoint he could very well be better off being a big fish in a small pond, rather than a middle of the road fighter in the UFC.

I am not convinced he would be champion in the UFC, and I think there are plenty of guys that would beat Eddie fairly easily in the division.

Same reason why Khalidov is still fighting in Poland instead of the UFC.
Oeshon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

 
Toxic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: See that guy over in the window, with the binoculars?
Posts: 21,379
Toxic Is UntouchableToxic Is UntouchableToxic Is UntouchableToxic Is UntouchableToxic Is UntouchableToxic Is UntouchableToxic Is UntouchableToxic Is UntouchableToxic Is UntouchableToxic Is UntouchableToxic Is Untouchable
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagiK11 View Post
Hey toxic, I just have a feeling the judge did not want to set a legal precedent/precedence for every single fighter that will be trying to jump ship in the future. I might be wrong since I never studied law, but it's the only thing I can think of because I totally agree with your post.
Makes sense I suspose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogo View Post
Probably his reasoning is that there is no undo hardship because he isn't being forced to miss his UFC debut forever, just not soon. If he can't fight at 159 he ends up fighting at 165 or whatever if he wins the legal battle. I think Alvarez will win in court but this ruling makes sense to me.
MMA Careers are rather short the time span the legal battle will take will easily mean 1 or 2 less fights in his career for Eddie who has not been super active because of Bellator's format already. I think its pretty easy to say it cost Eddie around a million dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLyotoLegion View Post
Not really.

Alvarez was supposed to be on UFC 159 which is the Jones/Sonnen card, with the TUF build up that card is gonna be heavily promoted and will easily do a good buyrate, Alvarez missed out on a potential million dollar bonus and he's missing out on big time sponsorships. If he ends up going back to Bellator than what does he have to look forward to? Michael Chandler, that's it. In the UFC even if he got a title shot and lost to Ben, look at who he could fight, Gil, Maynard, Miller, Lauzon, Pettis, Cerrone, Diaz and that's just naming a few.

And now Bellator might have to deal with their top guys like Chandler, Askren, Mo, Curran, and Dantas asking for contracts like Alvarez'

As for Bellator's exposure, this is not good for them at all, between this, Tyson Nam, Roger Hollett, and Jonathon Brookins, Bellator is looking very bad and very shady and many feel they're doing Eddie wrong.

And then Bjorn had the audacity to suggest UFC 156 wouldn't even hit 200,000 buys and that FOX and Spike are on the same level. They both have terrible programming outside of their MMA content but FOX is a million times bigger than Spike.
Oh yeah they just likely made there biggest contract offered ever to a fighter public knowledge and its not to the guy who they should consider #1 in his division. Think Chandelr won't want Alvarez money considering he beat him? Think these guys are gonna not look at the way Eddie is being dragged through court and ask for more money if they will be restricted. Bellator's big card to lure fighters like Mo was always that they were less restrictive and frankly that card just went flying off the table so now they gotta talk with there wallets. I personally think this is the first brick to fall in what will ultimately be Bellator's demise, everything looks great now but the ship is taking on water.
__________________



"If you get hit and it hurts hit him back you not knocked out yet."-Joe Doerksen
The Toxic Terrors (FFL)
Demetrious Johnson*Eduardo Dantas*Emanuel Newton*Will Brooks*Michael Page



Toxic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Featherweight
 
The Best Around's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,389
The Best Around Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Best Around Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Best Around Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Best Around Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Best Around Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Best Around Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Best Around Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Best Around Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Best Around Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Best Around Is True Champion Of KnowledgeThe Best Around Is True Champion Of Knowledge
Damn. Sucks. He could lose out on 500K+ just on missing this fight alone. Nothing else to say.
__________________
The Best Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios