strawweight coming soon to UFC - Page 6 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 06:36 PM
Flyweight
 
Hexabob69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chesapeake VA
Posts: 459
                     
Never make a post about Fighters under 155 or women. Most here are closed minded and you will constantly have to come here to argue your point. I have seen some of these 100 pounders beat the shit out of mouth Marines in Thailand... It is always good for entertainment. I watch the fights for the fights; not some preconcieved notion of what I feel a fighter should be.

The Bass Minor
Hexabob69 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 06:40 PM
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Osiris (HD 209458 B)
Posts: 933
                     
We can discuss this in 5 years once the UFC gets the 135 & 125 divisions filled up. These divisions need and influx of fighters before we even start thinking about a 115 class.
TheAuger is offline  
post #53 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 06:53 PM
It's a league game, Smokey
 
Ape City's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Planet of the Apes
Posts: 8,192
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUSOONERSOU View Post
Does knowing someone's name make them any less skilled? How many people here knew who Ian McCall was 2 years ago? Does that mean he wasn't talented? How many are aware of who Darrell Montague is? Does that mean he isn't talented? How many know Soo Chul Kim? That guy is full of talent. Not knowing and not existing are very different. Like I said put those guys in the cage with the special letters on their gloves and see if that talent doesn't magically appear.
Most people here are just giving the UFC good advice that you don't want to hear. It would seem you have enough spare time your hands to follow every single mma organization out there. The problem is the majority of this board doesn't even have time to follow every UFC division to it's fullest, a smaller percentage watch bellator, and a very small fraction of mma fans watch anything other than those two organizations.

It is silly to introduce a division whether it be super hw or straw this soon after adding two new divisions that most people are still catching up on in terms of who's who. Remember, there is no espn highlight or top moves of the night for these organizations. You have to go searching for it, because it is underground.

The notion that Ineed to follow underground stuff to be a fan of MMA is ridiculous to me. Do I need to watch the OHL because I am a hockey fan and love the NHL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUSOONERSOU View Post
It amazes me everytime when there is a thread on smaller fighters or WMMA. If size is the only thing that matters then most of you are in trouble.
I think it is about seeing top talent. People are concerned that watching womens mma is like watching two unathletic guys fight. People also don't like the idea of two freakishly small guys fighting (ie 5"2 115lbs is VERY small for a man in shape). If there are not many people of that size or sex participating the talent pool will be very weak, just like a SW division.


mad props: Toxic
Ape City is offline  
post #54 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 07:03 PM
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 769
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUSOONERSOU View Post
See it's people like you that Dana is referring to. I have a hard time not responding like an asshole to people as ignorant as you. You are not a true fan IMO.
Dude i am serious tho. The fighters would be half the size of the refs and the devision wouldnt be stacked enough. Make a super heavyweight first, or sth in between like 230 pounds.

Also i assume you do some training as well, its not totally unreasonable to think that i could take someone more than 100 pounds lighter and over an inch taller...
I am 6'5 220 pounds and if i could get a training camp to get into the perfect shape i could hold them down for a boring decision victory all day long :P
Abrissbirne is offline  
post #55 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 07:09 PM
It's a league game, Smokey
 
Ape City's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Planet of the Apes
Posts: 8,192
                     
also @ rofl who was saying we will start to critisize small football players in the nfl: the difference is that the nfl is open weight and these 160 athletes are up against 250 lb behemoths. they use speed to overcome size which makes it very intrtesting. would you guys watch an nfl division for only 115 to 125 pounders?

Sent from my SGH-I727R using VerticalSports.Com App


mad props: Toxic
Ape City is offline  
post #56 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 07:13 PM
The Chosen One
 
Cookie Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada's East Coast
Posts: 1,487
Blog Entries: 5
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrissbirne View Post
Dude i am serious tho. The fighters would be half the size of the refs and the devision wouldnt be stacked enough. Make a super heavyweight first.
So your logic is that a Strawweight division wouldn't be 'stacked enough' presumably because of the lack of talent, yet you're all for adding a super heavyweight division? Gotta say here, I think a SHW division would be just as weak at this point. Can you explain why you think a SHW division would be a good addition? I'd love to see a Strawweight division added, but I want to see 125 and 135 reach their full potential first.

Sent from my HTC Ruby using VerticalSports.Com App

The poster formerly known as Cowgirl


Thanks to Killz for the great sig!

Cookie Monster is offline  
post #57 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 07:15 PM
It's a league game, Smokey
 
Ape City's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Planet of the Apes
Posts: 8,192
                     
i never want to see sw or shw ever. like rofl said the amount of people that are this size is simply so small it will be nearly impossible to put together deep divisions.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using VerticalSports.Com App


mad props: Toxic
Ape City is offline  
post #58 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 07:20 PM
Kneel Before Christ!
 
Roflcopter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,024
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape City View Post
also @ rofl who was saying we will start to critisize small football players in the nfl: the difference is that the nfl is open weight and these 160 athletes are up against 250 lb behemoths. they use speed to overcome size which makes it very intrtesting. would you guys watch an nfl division for only 115 to 125 pounders?

Sent from my SGH-I727R using VerticalSports.Com App
That really wasn't the point.

In fact it just makes the counter-argument all the more retarded.

If 150lb men can use athleticism to overcome "behemoths" then they shouldn't be discredited when fighting each other.

And God knows they shouldn't be discredited relative to keyboard warriors.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
So your logic is that a Strawweight division wouldn't be 'stacked enough' presumably because of the lack of talent, yet you're all for adding a super heavyweight division? Gotta say here, I think a SHW division would be just as weak at this point. Can you explain why you think a SHW division would be a good addition? I'd love to see a Strawweight division added, but I want to see 125 and 135 reach their full potential first.

Sent from my HTC Ruby using VerticalSports.Com App
There's more tantalizing and better Super HWs than Strawweights.

Strawweight barely exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrissbirne View Post
Dude i am serious tho. The fighters would be half the size of the refs and the devision wouldnt be stacked enough. Make a super heavyweight first, or sth in between like 230 pounds.

Also i assume you do some training as well, its not totally unreasonable to think that i could take someone more than 100 pounds lighter and over an inch taller...
I am 6'5 220 pounds and if i could get a training camp to get into the perfect shape i could hold them down for a boring decision victory all day long :P
I doubt it.

Royce Gracie was about 160lbs when he choked out men nearing 300lbs and these were trained, elite combat athletes.

You entering a McDojo for a few months isn't going to make you a killer.


Last edited by HitOrGetHit; 01-29-2013 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Double Post
Roflcopter is offline  
post #59 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 07:33 PM
Bantamweight
 
slapstick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 687
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUSOONERSOU View Post
OneFC is the most entertaining MMA we have since the peak of Strikeforce. It's impossible for a fan not to enjoy their product and anyone can see there is legit skill in that cage. I seriously doubt you did anything other then read a play by play or sherdog the results. You can read up all you want but as a fan of the sport I enjoy watching talented fighters giving it all they got. That's exactly what you get with OneFC. Straight warriors.

Boku vs Zoro was an extremely entertaining fight to watch and Boku had an amazing comeback and fought like a warrior. How anyone can diss that fight is beyond me. One of the most entertaining fights I have seen in a long time. You sir, are not a fan of MMA.
Keep reading all you can buddy, cause you sure as hell ain't watching the action.
You sound like a condecending hipster pillock.

I've been to plenty of domestic events and never even seen a strawweight fight before. I don't even belive it's a proper division, without literaly starving yourself I'd guess that >1% of the worlds population could cut to 115, epecially as the smaller you get the worse the cut.



http://issuu.com/love2fightmag/docs/...4_february2013
Issue 4 of UKMMA Magazine LOVE2FIGHT
Features Andy Ogle, Jack Mason, Mark Godbeer
No download necessary, view online!
slapstick is offline  
post #60 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 07:36 PM
Kneel Before Christ!
 
Roflcopter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,024
                     
Yeah it's obnoxious. YOU JUST READ YOU DONT EVEN WATCH.


I've likely forgotten about more MMA then this dude's watched. What a joke.


He also fails to address the fact that OneFC doesnt even have a strawweight division as the current biggest promotion in Asia.

Roflcopter is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome