strawweight coming soon to UFC - Page 8 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 01-30-2013, 12:22 AM   #71 (permalink)
The Chosen One
 
Cookie Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada's East Coast
Posts: 1,481
Blog Entries: 5
Cookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings SystemCookie Monster Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFC_OWNS View Post
ugh stop with the ******* weight classes dana, barley enough fighters in each class can get on a card as it is and no one wants more weight classes, thats why boxing went downhill too many weight classes and too many belts. I liked it when we had the WEC for 135,145,155 and 155 and the rest of the weight classes in the UFC, I don't even mind 135 and 145 in the UFC but everything else is too much.
Awfully inclusive statement there,I can think of a few people who want this, a few have even said so on here.
__________________
The poster formerly known as Cowgirl


Thanks to Killz for the great sig!

Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 01-30-2013, 12:35 AM   #72 (permalink)
Godless Heathen
 
Rygu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Langley, B.C.
Posts: 3,084
Rygu Is World RenownRygu Is World RenownRygu Is World RenownRygu Is World RenownRygu Is World RenownRygu Is World RenownRygu Is World RenownRygu Is World RenownRygu Is World RenownRygu Is World RenownRygu Is World Renown
A 115LB DIVISION?!? OMG.

I want a SW division as much as I want a major stroke.

Seriously though, there is only so much room per card for fights, and watching 115lb men fight sounds utterly horrific in itself.

I guess that makes me not a "true" MMA fan though. Funny stuff.
__________________
Rygu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:01 AM   #73 (permalink)
You're not terribly important to me
 
UFC_OWNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sell me this pen
Posts: 13,726
Blog Entries: 1
UFC_OWNS Is Future HOF MaterialUFC_OWNS Is Future HOF MaterialUFC_OWNS Is Future HOF MaterialUFC_OWNS Is Future HOF MaterialUFC_OWNS Is Future HOF MaterialUFC_OWNS Is Future HOF MaterialUFC_OWNS Is Future HOF MaterialUFC_OWNS Is Future HOF MaterialUFC_OWNS Is Future HOF MaterialUFC_OWNS Is Future HOF MaterialUFC_OWNS Is Future HOF Material
I remember the UFC 90's, 80's and 70's cards where the card was struggling to even get the 5 weight classes matches on cards, but now we are looking at 11 possibly? no thanks i'd rather not see featherweights up to heavyweights not have to struggle really hard to get on a card and over saturation of too many cards to fit on all these fighters
__________________

Jim Norton
Nick Dipaolo
Dave Attell
Dave Chappelle
Bill Burr
Joey Diaz
Colin Quinn
Bob Kelly
Rich Vos
Patrice O'Neal
Louis CK


UFC_OWNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:23 AM   #74 (permalink)
Heavyweight
 
AlphaDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,988
AlphaDawg Is Beloved By AllAlphaDawg Is Beloved By AllAlphaDawg Is Beloved By AllAlphaDawg Is Beloved By AllAlphaDawg Is Beloved By AllAlphaDawg Is Beloved By AllAlphaDawg Is Beloved By AllAlphaDawg Is Beloved By AllAlphaDawg Is Beloved By AllAlphaDawg Is Beloved By AllAlphaDawg Is Beloved By All
No, this needs to stop. The flyweight division was already a bad idea. FW is out of contenders and Johnson only has rematches ahead of him at this point. They should focus on that dead division, not Strawweight.
AlphaDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #75 (permalink)
SOOTHE YOUR SAVAGE BREASTS
 
OHKO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,501
OHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of Knowledge
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUSOONERSOU View Post
Just like I thought. You look at records and names and results and you don't watch fights and actual in the cage action. Does an entertaining fight become less entertaining if you don't know the name of the fighter? Does that make the performance you are watching any less impressive? It's impossible to watch an OneFC show and not be entertained. It's impossible to watch and not see talent. How is entertainment not a factor in watching a sporting event? Also just looking at records alone is not a clear indication of talent. Nothing on paper is going to effect what I see when I WATCH a fight. We are just 2 different kind of "fans". I base my opinion on what I see, you base yours off of numbers you read about. Do you. I'll do me.
If you are gonna admit that there are different kind of fans, then stop with the "You aren't a true fan" shit please. Just because someone has a different opinion doesn't make them any less of a fan than you are. Oh so you watch all the fights outside of UFC? Good for you then. Just know that not everyone can dedicate their time to watching the hundreds of fights happening every month outside of the UFC.

And jeez when are they gonna stop with adding new weightclasses? 115 lbs? Soon we will have dwarfs fighting in the UFC. Oh these little kids are executing such amazing kicks! So entertaining! Lets get them in the UFC and have them main event a card in the future, alright?

Now I'm gonna get neg reps claiming that "YOU AREN'T A REAL FAN, BITCH!". Fully expecting that, but whatever I have my own opinion, you have yours. Thing is majority of us do not want to see a strawweight division and I bet majority of the casual fans do not want to either. UFC caters to us fans and they should consider the opinion of the majority.
__________________
Anderson Silva
Aldo - Dos Anjos - Mayday - Weidman - Machida - Jones
OHKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #76 (permalink)
OU
BOOMER SOONER
 
OU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,047
OU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKO View Post
If you are gonna admit that there are different kind of fans, then stop with the "You aren't a true fan" shit please. Just because someone has a different opinion doesn't make them any less of a fan than you are. Oh so you watch all the fights outside of UFC? Good for you then. Just know that not everyone can dedicate their time to watching the hundreds of fights happening every month outside of the UFC.

And jeez when are they gonna stop with adding new weightclasses? 115 lbs? Soon we will have dwarfs fighting in the UFC. Oh these little kids are executing such amazing kicks! So entertaining! Lets get them in the UFC and have them main event a card in the future, alright?

Now I'm gonna get neg reps claiming that "YOU AREN'T A REAL FAN, BITCH!". Fully expecting that, but whatever I have my own opinion, you have yours. Thing is majority of us do not want to see a strawweight division and I bet majority of the casual fans do not want to either. UFC caters to us fans and they should consider the opinion of the majority.
Neg reps are the worst. Hopefully you don't get any, nothing you said was neg worthy.
I can accept the fact that I go all crazy super fan "you no watch like me!" from time to time and that can be annoying. I just enjoy watching MMA. Fighters size, name value and records don't mean anything to me when it comes to enjoying fights. Sorry for implying that the majority of you aren't real fans and don't also enjoy the sport of MMA.
Hopefully you guys don't hate me too much. But I can be an annoying little bastard at times. Especially at the end of a work day.
OU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #77 (permalink)
SOOTHE YOUR SAVAGE BREASTS
 
OHKO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,501
OHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of Knowledge
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUSOONERSOU View Post
Neg reps are the worst. Hopefully you don't get any, nothing you said was neg worthy.
I can accept the fact that I go all crazy super fan "you no watch like me!" from time to time and that can be annoying. I just enjoy watching MMA. Fighters size, name value and records don't mean anything to me when it comes to enjoying fights. Sorry for implying that the majority of you aren't real fans and also enjoy the sport of MMA.
Hopefully you guys don't hate me too much. But I can be an annoying little bastard at times. Especially at the end of a work day.
No worries, I like most of your posts. However sometimes when you try to jam your opinion down our throats it does get a little frustrating and annoying to me. Happens only once in a while though so its alright.

I don't really want to see strawweights fight in the UFC because:
  • There are so little fully grown men out there that can weigh in at 115lbs. Hard to find talent to fill up the division.
  • Most fans like me do not want to see strawweights in the UFC. I don't really want to see a strawweight title fight claim the main event over a much bigger fight, much like the current UFC 157 scenario.
  • I think that most of these strawweights could actually compete in the flyweight division. Force them to bulk up a lil or cut less weight. The flyweight division needs some boosting so if these strawweights want to come over, no problem.
  • I don't need UFC to specifically bring in these strawweights for their "entertaining" fights and "super athletic" ability. There are a bunch of entertaining fights in the UFC already in all weight divisions. Not all strawweight fights are guaranteed to be exciting anyway. Just because they move super fast doesn't mean its exciting. Also, we already have these "super athletic" people in the flyweight division. Furthermore, who is to say that these strawweights are more athletic than beasts like Cain, Jones, Silva, GSP, Bendo and Aldo? Point is athletic people will appear in all weight classes, so there is no need to add a bunch of additional weightclasses just to welcome some small super athletes.

I do get why some fans like you want to see strawweights in the UFC. I just don't agree.
__________________
Anderson Silva
Aldo - Dos Anjos - Mayday - Weidman - Machida - Jones
OHKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #78 (permalink)
OU
BOOMER SOONER
 
OU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,047
OU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKO View Post
No worries, I like most of your posts. However sometimes when you try to jam your opinion down our throats it does get a little frustrating and annoying to me. Happens only once in a while though so its alright.

I don't really want to see strawweights fight in the UFC because:
  • There are so little fully grown men out there that can weigh in at 115lbs. Hard to find talent to fill up the division.
  • Most fans like me do not want to see strawweights in the UFC. I don't really want to see a strawweight title fight claim the main event over a much bigger fight, much like the current UFC 157 scenario.
  • I think that most of these strawweights could actually compete in the flyweight division. Force them to bulk up a lil or cut less weight. The flyweight division needs some boosting so if these strawweights want to come over, no problem.
  • I don't need UFC to specifically bring in these strawweights for their "entertaining" fights and "super athletic" ability. There are a bunch of entertaining fights in the UFC already in all weight divisions. Not all strawweight fights are guaranteed to be exciting anyway. Just because they move super fast doesn't mean its exciting. Also, we already have these "super athletic" people in the flyweight division. Furthermore, who is to say that these strawweights are more athletic than beasts like Cain, Jones, Silva, GSP, Bendo and Aldo? Point is athletic people will appear in all weight classes, so there is no need to add a bunch of additional weightclasses just to welcome some small super athletes.

I do get why some fans like you want to see strawweights in the UFC. I just don't agree.
One thing I don't understand about the argument you guys bring up about the number of men weighing 115lbs is the men fighting at that weight class do not weigh 115lbs. Just like Jose Aldo doesn't weigh 145lbs. Only on the day of the weigh ins do they weigh that much. I realize that the smaller we get the less weight that will be cut because naturally the smaller the man the less he is capable of cutting. But still the men will be a minimum of 130lbs. Still, a small man I know. But a small man can still be a talented man and still have the tools and technique to be an elite level athlete.
World Wide I don't have any doubts that we could find top level athletes with UFC caliber skill at that weight class.

Again I know I can be super annoying at times. I enjoy the activity at the end of the work day so I go a little crazy sometimes. I'm sure it won't be the last time, I just hope people can write it off as "crazy" and not get offended.
OU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #79 (permalink)
SOOTHE YOUR SAVAGE BREASTS
 
OHKO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,501
OHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of KnowledgeOHKO Is True Champion Of Knowledge
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUSOONERSOU View Post
One thing I don't understand about the argument you guys bring up about the number of men weighing 115lbs is the men fighting at that weight class do not weigh 115lbs. Just like Jose Aldo doesn't weigh 145lbs. Only on the day of the weigh ins do they weigh that much. I realize that the smaller we get the less weight that will be cut because naturally the smaller the man the less he is capable of cutting. But still the men will be a minimum of 130lbs. Still, a small man I know. But a small man can still be a talented man and still have the tools and technique to be an elite level athlete.
World Wide I don't have any doubts that we could find top level athletes with UFC caliber skill at that weight class.

Again I know I can be super annoying at times. I enjoy the activity at the end of the work day so I go a little crazy sometimes. I'm sure it won't be the last time, I just hope people can write it off as "crazy" and not get offended.
I know these guys do not actually weigh 115 lbs. I mentioned in my post as these guys WEIGHING IN at 115lbs. I don't have any idea how much guys weighing this little should cut while staying healthy, but I presume around 5~10 lbs? These guys can easily fight in the flyweight division by not cutting weight or bulking up a little more and cutting a few pounds. Really no need to add an additional weight class. The strawweights can definitely help add depth to the flyweight division, which is in need of some help.
__________________
Anderson Silva
Aldo - Dos Anjos - Mayday - Weidman - Machida - Jones
OHKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #80 (permalink)
OU
BOOMER SOONER
 
OU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,047
OU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKO View Post
I know these guys do not actually weigh 115 lbs. I mentioned in my post as these guys WEIGHING IN at 115lbs. I don't have any idea how much guys weighing this little should cut while staying healthy, but I presume around 5~10 lbs? These guys can easily fight in the flyweight division by not cutting weight or bulking up a little more and cutting a few pounds. Really no need to add an additional weight class. The strawweights can definitely help add depth to the flyweight division, which is in need of some help.
5-10 lbs is on the low side for sure man. It's 15lbs minimum really still IMO. Hell I would cut 7lbs in 3 days back in 8th grade to go from 110 to 103 and that was having to do that weekly. Fighters are able to cut more then wrestlers because they get more time between cuts. Especially with new techniques out there with guys like Dolche pushing the limits. You would be surprised how much water weight even a person in shape carries around.
IMO the fly division is not in need of depth as a whole, just in the UFC. There are some great flys out there waiting to get that call from Joe Silva.

EDIT: you are right I misread the "weighing in at" my bad. But I know others mentioned size and it just seemed misleading overall to me.

Looks like I have a stalker. deadmanshand has given me 3 of the 4 neg reps I have received here LOL.
OU is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios