Davis vs. Magalhaes, Kongo vs. Nelson added to UFC 159 - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 04-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #21 (permalink)
Heavyweight
 
Stapler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,991
Stapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By All
Well, Davis seems very confident that he can grapple with Vinny. Khov is right though, let's not assume that if Davis takes him down, he's going to fall right into a triangle. This is MMA and Vinny may have very accomplished BJJ outside of it, but it's always a little different in the octagon. Davis has a very well rounded ground game. Excellent wrestling, very strong, and solid BJJ. Vinny may be able to submit him, but I don't think Davis out working him is out of the question. Vinny hasn't proven his BJJ in MMA yet considering his biggest win is against Igor. Submitting low level guys doesn't mean that much. Davis wanted this fight for a reason and I think he is confident enough to test the waters. Let's see how good Vinny's MMA ground game really is against a strong wrestler with competent BJJ. It will tell us a lot for sure.
__________________
Psalm 30:5 "For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning."

Top 3 Favorite Fighters
1. Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell
2. Glover Teixeira
3. Demian Maia
Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 04-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #22 (permalink)
OU
BOOMER SOONER
 
OU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,060
OU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoveraki View Post
I don't think Davis vs. Magalhaes will even be close. Davis is a top fighter with tremendous wrestling and strength. Vinny is a great BJJ practitioner but he's a pretty bad MMA fighter.


If this was in a Gi on a mat then yeah, Davis would probably get blitzed after getting a take-down. This isn't in a gi or on a mat and Davis isn't Igor.
I think Vinny's standup is better then Phil's.
OU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #23 (permalink)
ROCKET FISTS
 
khoveraki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,743
khoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renown
Quote:
Originally Posted by OU View Post
I think Vinny's standup is better then Phil's.
Who has Vinny stood up with that makes you think that though?

Phil had no problem standing with Lil Nog. He never was in trouble once and Nog's TDD kept the fight standing pretty effectively in the first.

Phil's striking is pretty clunky, but he's good at keeping that long distance until he wants to be instantly close for a take-down. He doesn't let opponents get in that middle territory. Rashad knew this and was excellent at exploiting it, which is why he beat Davis. Vinny won't have the striking or explosiveness to close the gap like Rashad did, it'll be Davis who decides where the fight takes place.


I agree that Kongo vs. Nelson will be awful though. Nelson either catches Kongo with an overhand and then crucifies him on the ground, or Kongo holds Nelson against the cage via short grabbing and cage grabbing and groin shots.
__________________
WAR CIGANO



sig credit to Limba

lobster train.
khoveraki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #24 (permalink)
OU
BOOMER SOONER
 
OU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,060
OU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoveraki View Post
Who has Vinny stood up with that makes you think that though?

Phil had no problem standing with Lil Nog. He never was in trouble once and Nog's TDD kept the fight standing pretty effectively in the first.

Phil's striking is pretty clunky, but he's good at keeping that long distance until he wants to be instantly close for a take-down. He doesn't let opponents get in that middle territory. Rashad knew this and was excellent at exploiting it, which is why he beat Davis. Vinny won't have the striking or explosiveness to close the gap like Rashad did, it'll be Davis who decides where the fight takes place.


I agree that Kongo vs. Nelson will be awful though. Nelson either catches Kongo with an overhand and then crucifies him on the ground, or Kongo holds Nelson against the cage via short grabbing and cage grabbing and groin shots.
Vinny can actually throw some kicks in and doesn't seem so robotic when he strikes. We are talking about 2 bad strikers and Phil getting the TDs on Nog and always having that threat helped out big time in that fight IMO.
I could be wrong, I think both guys are pretty awful overall on the feet I just think Vinny is slightly more diverse and a little more comfortable on the feet. If one of the catches the other standing I think it will be Vinny. But we are talking about 2 very good grapplers that don't have much of a standup.
OU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #25 (permalink)
ROCKET FISTS
 
khoveraki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,743
khoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renown
Quote:
Originally Posted by OU View Post
Vinny can actually throw some kicks in and doesn't seem so robotic when he strikes. We are talking about 2 bad strikers and Phil getting the TDs on Nog and always having that threat helped out big time in that fight IMO.
I could be wrong, I think both guys are pretty awful overall on the feet I just think Vinny is slightly more diverse and a little more comfortable on the feet. If one of the catches the other standing I think it will be Vinny. But we are talking about 2 very good grapplers that don't have much of a standup.
I agree that Vinny has looked like a better striker at times. But you have to consider the talent he was facing.

When I spar with guys who have had less than a year of training, I look like Anderson Silva. When I sparred with Stone Horse (Jones muay thai instructor in Buffalo) or any of the vicious guys at Wand's gym, I looked like maybe I was a retarded person.
__________________
WAR CIGANO



sig credit to Limba

lobster train.
khoveraki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #26 (permalink)
OU
BOOMER SOONER
 
OU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,060
OU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoveraki View Post
I agree that Vinny has looked like a better striker at times. But you have to consider the talent he was facing.

When I spar with guys who have had less than a year of training, I look like Anderson Silva. When I sparred with Stone Horse (Jones muay thai instructor in Buffalo) or any of the vicious guys at Wand's gym, I looked like maybe I was a retarded person.
LOL point taken.
OU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #27 (permalink)
Heavyweight
 
Stapler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,991
Stapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By AllStapler Is Beloved By All
I don't know if Vinny is more likely to get the knock out. His chin and/or recovery rate is pretty bad. Davis may not have a lot of power, but didnt Bader finish Vinny resulting from a half deflected punch? Vinny doesn't react well to being hit. Igor hurt him before running out of time in the first to capitalize. Davis isn't the striker Igor is and doesn't have the power Bader does, but Davis is capable of catching Vinny and Bader's deflected punch didn't look powerful at all on that occasion.
__________________
Psalm 30:5 "For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning."

Top 3 Favorite Fighters
1. Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell
2. Glover Teixeira
3. Demian Maia
Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios