Rashad Evans knows he'd beat Anderson Silva, not gunning for 'bittersweet' fight - Page 9 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 06:43 PM
The 45%
 
ClydebankBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 14,597
Blog Entries: 2
                     
No one can fight like Sonnen does. I think Sonnen is the ultimate underdog. Unless you're a submission heavy fighter, he has a chance to grind out anyone in the world to a decision. I've got a feeling we'll see Bones stopping him with Guillotine.

If Anderson fought Evans, it'd be one his best performances of all time imo.

ClydebankBlitz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #82 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 07:24 PM
Bantamweight
 
MMATycoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 543
                     
I could could kick you ass. If I wanted to...I just don't want to...
MMATycoon is offline  
post #83 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 08:00 PM
Don't Sweat the Technique
 
St.Paul Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 1,660
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlxrevolution View Post
What is wrong with someone saying they think they can beat Anderson Silva? What are they "Supposed" to say?

"If I fight Anderson, I think I will lose"
How about "I think I could beat Anderson. I would like to fight him." Instead of proclaiming that he knows he'd win against a guy nobody has beaten in years.




Sig credit: MC

~ Lifetime Membership sponsored by RustyRenegade ~
St.Paul Guy is offline  
post #84 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 08:30 PM
....Omar Comin'
 
El Bresko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia.
Posts: 4,797
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlxrevolution View Post
What is wrong with someone saying they think they can beat Anderson Silva? What are they "Supposed" to say?

"If I fight Anderson, I think I will lose"

Rashad is a former champion and a well proven fighter. I do think he has a legitimate chance of beating Anderson Silva. That being said, if the fight happens, I think Anderson's timing and quickness will eventually shut Rashad down and I think Anderson will finish, even if Rashad employs the same gameplan he did against Rampage. But my point is that there is nothing wrong with having the confidence to beat the best in the world, especially when you're not the best match-up for him.

That's not the problem,

it's the fact he says "I can beat Anderson but I won't cut
the weight to win the title"

you know, a fighters ultimate goal......... if it's that easy then do it. He had nothing for Bones, he's not taking the LHW strap.







El Bresko is offline  
post #85 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 08:46 PM
SPEED KILLS
 
SM33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,130
                     
Rashad has nothing for Anderson.

SM33 is offline  
post #86 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 10:36 PM
-DayDay Knucks-
 
HitOrGetHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 20,272
Blog Entries: 13
                     
I just don't get it. Honestly it's pretty laughable that people think Rashad has no chance. He has nothing for him? Yeah nothing except a very high level of wrestling. But what is wrestling in MMA?

I don't know if Rashad would win, but you are fooling yourself if you legitimately think Rashad has "nothing" for Anderson.


-Always Supporting-
Miesha Tate - Urijah Faber - Dustin Poirier - Frankie Edgar - Claudia Gadelha - Demian Maia - Jessica Eye
HitOrGetHit is offline  
post #87 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 10:44 PM
....Omar Comin'
 
El Bresko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia.
Posts: 4,797
                     
He has as much of a chance as Chael did in the 2nd fight IMO. I don't think he's as good of a wrestler as Chael is though.







El Bresko is offline  
post #88 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 10:44 PM
Lightweight
 
dlxrevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,500
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Paul Guy View Post
How about "I think I could beat Anderson. I would like to fight him." Instead of proclaiming that he knows he'd win against a guy nobody has beaten in years.
The former would probably be the more polite thing to say as far as evaluating a potential opponent. However, there still isn't anything wrong with having the confidance in saying that you KNOW you can beat someone, no matter what their record is. I mean, it's not like Rashad hasn't established himself as a legitimate top fighter. As far as I'm concerned, with his skill set, and the right gameplan/execution, he CAN beat Anderson Silva.

But maybe that's just my take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bresko View Post
That's not the problem,

it's the fact he says "I can beat Anderson but I won't cut
the weight to win the title"

you know, a fighters ultimate goal......... if it's that easy then do it. He had nothing for Bones, he's not taking the LHW strap.
It's obvious that Rashad has a lot of respect for Silva, and admires his accomplishments in the UFC.

Now I'm not disagreeing with your statement. But have you ruled out the possibility that maybe Rashad is passively calling Silva out by saying that he absolutely knows that he would beat Silva, so essentially he won't waste time cutting weight?
dlxrevolution is offline  
post #89 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 10:51 PM
....Omar Comin'
 
El Bresko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia.
Posts: 4,797
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlxrevolution View Post
It's obvious that Rashad has a lot of respect for Silva, and admires his accomplishments in the UFC.

Now I'm not disagreeing with your statement. But have you ruled out the possibility that maybe Rashad is passively calling Silva out by saying that he absolutely knows that he would beat Silva, so essentially he won't waste time cutting weight?
I think it's quite possible that Dana told Rashad to say this, to see what the reactions from the online community would be and to stir up interest in the fight.

I don't see any point in calling out the champ from the division below you unless you are going to go to him or are already a champ.

I like what Cormier is doing with Bones, but to say you can definitely beat someone but won't go to their weight to do it is pretty retarded IMO.







El Bresko is offline  
post #90 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 11:27 PM
Lightweight
 
dlxrevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,500
                     
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bresko View Post
I think it's quite possible that Dana told Rashad to say this, to see what the reactions from the online community would be and to stir up interest in the fight.

I don't see any point in calling out the champ from the division below you unless you are going to go to him or are already a champ.

I like what Cormier is doing with Bones, but to say you can definitely beat someone but won't go to their weight to do it is pretty retarded IMO.
Actually after re-reading, Evans didn't say that he wasn't going down to 185 lbs. All he said was that he wanted to do a practice cut to 185 lbs first to see if he could even make the weight, and that he wanted to fight the best whether it be Bones Jones or Anderson Silva. The closest he came to saying that he wasn't going down was that "it would be bittersweet because he knows he'd win". So it's not like he's ruling out the possibility all together.
dlxrevolution is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome