MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos

MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos (http://www.mmaforum.com/)
-   UFC (http://www.mmaforum.com/ufc/)
-   -   Dana White says Rashad Evans lost the desire and drive to compete (http://www.mmaforum.com/ufc/114450-dana-white-says-rashad-evans-lost-desire-drive-compete.html)

onip69 02-04-2013 03:41 PM

Dana White says Rashad Evans lost the desire and drive to compete
 
Quote:

UFC 156 results: Dana White says Rashad Evans lost the desire and drive to compete


By Jesse Holland on Feb 4, 2:00p 26




Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Light Heavyweight Champion Rashad Evans used to be one of the elite fighters at 205 pounds, posting wins over seasoned veterans like Rampage Jackson as well as promising up-and-comers like Phil Davis. So what happened? UFC President Dana White explains.


As it turns out, Rashad Evans was actually contemplating retirement earlier this year.

That may or may not surprise some mixed martial arts (MMA) fans. After all, "Suga" has done well for himself since winning The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) Season 2 as a Heavyweight, crushing Forrest Griffin for the 205-pound strap and racking up wins over the likes of Quinton Jackson, Chuck Liddell and Phil Davis.

Now he's licking his wounds after back-to-back unanimous decision losses.

The most recent of which came at the hands of Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, who outstruck Evans for the better part of three rounds at the UFC 156 pay-per-view (PPV) event last Saturday night (Feb. 2, 2013) in Las Vegas, Nevada, drawing an interesting critique from UFC President Dana White in the process.


Quote:

"I like Rashad a lot. He's a good guy, a smart guy. But he's lost that hunger. He's lost that desire and drive, and he needs to get it back. There's no doubt about it. He needs to get hungry again. Back in the day, he used to get a little paranoid. He was always a little paranoid. But he would always do the right thing. He needs to get that fire back. He doesn't have that fire. He needs to get it. Rashad used to train like a beast. Rashad never used to get tired. The only time you saw Rashad get tired was when he first came into the UFC and fought Tito (Ortiz) in that first fight. Then after that he turned into an absolute beast. He's gotta get it back. If that word (retired) even comes out of your mouth in this business, it's a negative. It's bad. The fact that he even said the 'R' word shows you where his head is at and what he's thinking."


http://www.mmamania.com/2013/2/4/395...shad-evans-mma

Purgetheweak 02-04-2013 03:56 PM

It's really funny to think that Rashad thought (or still thinks) that he could beat Anderson Silva..

IcemanCometh 02-04-2013 04:04 PM

I don't think this is the reason he fought like shit this weekend. I am thinking he had an injury in training and that hampered his performance.

Purgetheweak 02-04-2013 04:07 PM

His cardio looks to have gone to shit since he left Albuquerque. Frankly if I was a fighter, I'd do my best to always train at high altitude, the benefits speak for themselves.

John8204 02-04-2013 04:15 PM

I don't know if he had cardio issues, ring rust, or championship hangover but I've always felt like Rashad was a bit of a head case. I however do not believe for a second he was "injured", Evans doesn't fight hurt, hell Evans doesn't even train hurt. The UFC is in a tricky spot with Rashad, based on his current performances they can cut him. But would they give Bellator a big draw even if his fights turn most away.

RWCNT 02-04-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John8204 (Post 1772754)
I don't know if he had cardio issues, ring rust, or championship hangover but I've always felt like Rashad was a bit of a head case. I however do not believe for a second he was "injured", Evans doesn't fight hurt, hell Evans doesn't even train hurt. The UFC is in a tricky spot with Rashad, based on his current performances they can cut him. But would they give Bellator a big draw even if his fights turn most away.

Oh jesus, what? Being one of the few to not get absolutely destroyed by Jonny Bones and an upset UD are hardly enough to warrant cutting him.

John8204 02-04-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWCNT (Post 1772762)
Oh jesus, what? Being one of the few to not get absolutely destroyed by Jonny Bones and an upset UD are hardly enough to warrant cutting him.

1. He barely committed any offense against Nog.
2. He quit in the third round against Jones.
3. He fought an ugly uninspired fight against Davis.
4. He was dropped and almost finished by Tito Ortiz.
5. He had a super fight with Quinton and he chose to lay and pray for most of it, causing the fans to turn on him.

I know people are fans of him for some reason but his last five fights have been boring, bad, or just plain sad. Talent I wouldn't even rank Nog ahead of him, but would I as a fan want to watch him fight...no.

RWCNT 02-04-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John8204 (Post 1772786)
1. He barely committed any offense against Nog.
2. He quit in the third round against Jones.
3. He fought an ugly uninspired fight against Davis.
4. He was dropped and almost finished by Tito Ortiz.
5. He had a super fight with Quinton and he chose to lay and pray for most of it, causing the fans to turn on him.

I know people are fans of him for some reason but his last five fights have been boring, bad, or just plain sad. Talent I wouldn't even rank Nog ahead of him, but would I as a fan want to watch him fight...no.

Who, particularly amongst fighters with a name, would get cut for any of those reasons?

Rashad getting cut would totally be a what-the-**** moment that absolutely nobody saw coming.

SideWays222 02-04-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John8204 (Post 1772786)
1. He barely committed any offense against Nog.
2. He quit in the third round against Jones.
3. He fought an ugly uninspired fight against Davis.
4. He was dropped and almost finished by Tito Ortiz.
5. He had a super fight with Quinton and he chose to lay and pray for most of it, causing the fans to turn on him.

I know people are fans of him for some reason but his last five fights have been boring, bad, or just plain sad. Talent I wouldn't even rank Nog ahead of him, but would I as a fan want to watch him fight...no.

Losses to the Champ and then Lil Nog certainly dont qualify getting cut. Especially if you look at the performances before that.

1 more loss and then im with you. Though i still believe that the UFC would be stupid for cutting Rashad. Give him some C level opponents and lets see how he does. If he is losing those fights then he has to go.

Hammerlock2.0 02-04-2013 04:42 PM

I don't know. To me he looked the same as always but with a bad gameplan. He always thought he had great standup but he doesn't. The Chuck and Forrest fight made it even worse and it showed against Machida, Rampage, Jones and Nog. Back then he had Greg Jackson to tell him to go to his wrestling, now nobody is telling him anything.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8 , Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2