ESPN: Anderson Silva nominated for Greatest Athlete of all Time along BIG names - Page 7 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 06:49 AM
The Fun Police
 
Killz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK... Where the sun never shines.
Posts: 11,373
Blog Entries: 1
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud German View Post
El Bresko, there was nothing malicious or idiotic about my post. I simply stated that there are faar superior mma fighters that are more athletic and more nimble than Anderson Silva. How is GSP not more athletic and superior to Anderson Silva? Who is the gymnast? Who can run as fast as an olympic sprinter? Who is super strong? GSP is. Fedor as well.
you also said nobody likes NBA...
Killz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 06:55 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: West Germany
Posts: 174
                     
I did say that, and that's a bad generalisation on my part. I apologise dearly for that. I am sure some people like NBA, but I do not and I don't think that they are anything special athetically. Pitting yourself against another man in a fight is the ultimate test of athleticism imo.
Proud German is offline  
post #63 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 07:00 AM
Bantamweight
 
T.Bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 571
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud German View Post
El Bresko, there was nothing malicious or idiotic about my post. I simply stated that there are faar superior mma fighters that are more athletic and more nimble than Anderson Silva. How is GSP not more athletic and superior to Anderson Silva? Who is the gymnast? Who can run as fast as an olympic sprinter? Who is super strong? GSP is. Fedor as well.
I see what you're saying but I think the word athlete is used quite loosley here.

It's not really a poll on who is the most athletic sportsman but a question of who is the greatest at what they do. I mean yes GSP is more athletic than Anderson but is he a better fighter? It's arguable but most would say no.

It's more about who's the greatest in their respective field rather than being the most athletic.
T.Bone is offline  
post #64 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 11:49 AM
....Omar Comin'
 
El Bresko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia.
Posts: 4,797
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud German View Post
I am sure some people like NBA, but I do not and I don't think that they are anything special athetically. Pitting yourself against another man in a fight is the ultimate test of athleticism imo.
I know it comes from a good place but this comment is ridiculous.

NBA players on average are probably the most athletic group of sportsmen on the planet.

If Lebron James or Dwight Howard had wrestled since they were kids and pursued MMA they would be the two best HWs the UFC would see for a very long time.







El Bresko is offline  
post #65 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 12:30 PM
It's a league game, Smokey
 
Ape City's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Planet of the Apes
Posts: 8,199
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud German View Post
El Bresko, there was nothing malicious or idiotic about my post. I simply stated that there are faar superior mma fighters that are more athletic and more nimble than Anderson Silva. How is GSP not more athletic and superior to Anderson Silva? Who is the gymnast? Who can run as fast as an olympic sprinter? Who is super strong? GSP is. Fedor as well.
What on earth makes you think Fedor is more athletic than A. Silva? Part of being an athlete is being in good shape.



Not saying Fedor doesn't have great cardio but dude has the physique of a retired cop.

or maybe






mad props: Toxic
Ape City is offline  
post #66 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 02:46 PM
Lightweight
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,651
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape City View Post
What on earth makes you think Fedor is more athletic than A. Silva? Part of being an athlete is being in good shape.



Not saying Fedor doesn't have great cardio but dude has the physique of a retired cop.

or maybe




What i want to know is....what the hell is so interesting about his belly button??
ACTAFOOL is offline  
post #67 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Welterweight
 
Woodenhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,045
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bresko View Post
NBA players on average are probably the most athletic group of sportsmen on the planet.
meh Not really, IMO. I would rank them up there though.

ITT: fans of ___ sport touting how theirs is the most athletic. Race car drivers is one that kills me. I put my body thru the exact same thing when I'm gaming, ffs. (except I can do that while drinking - guess I'm the better athlete! lol) I can see them being a subset of "sports athlete", but not a practitioner of "physical athletics".
Woodenhead is offline  
post #68 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 06:07 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: West Germany
Posts: 174
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bresko View Post
I know it comes from a good place but this comment is ridiculous.

NBA players on average are probably the most athletic group of sportsmen on the planet.

If Lebron James or Dwight Howard had wrestled since they were kids and pursued MMA they would be the two best HWs the UFC would see for a very long time.
Um, no.

What happen to iron will, tenacity and heart? That's what the best MMA fighters need to have. Athletic ability just isn't enough. You need to able to take it as well as give it. You should know this.
Proud German is offline  
post #69 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: West Germany
Posts: 174
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTAFOOL View Post
What i want to know is....what the hell is so interesting about his belly button??
Look, what about Brock Lesnar? He was full of flabby and he is still the most athletically gifted sportsman in the world. Your physique indicates very little, it's what you can do with it. If you have fast hips like Rory MacDonald, GSP and Brock Lesnar, you can rule MMA competition. NBA fighters jump high, and that's fine. But it's not the be al.
Proud German is offline  
post #70 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 08:04 PM
The Chosen One
 
Cookie Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada's East Coast
Posts: 1,487
Blog Entries: 5
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud German View Post
Look, what about Brock Lesnar? He was full of flabby and he is still the most athletically gifted sportsman in the world. Your physique indicates very little, it's what you can do with it. If you have fast hips like Rory MacDonald, GSP and Brock Lesnar, you can rule MMA competition. NBA fighters jump high, and that's fine. But it's not the be al.
Wait, I thought you said Fedor was the most athletically gifted sportsman in the world? Consistency is key my friend.

Sent from my HTC Ruby using VerticalSports.Com App

The poster formerly known as Cowgirl


Thanks to Killz for the great sig!

Cookie Monster is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome