Jake Shields, Back to Welterweight - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 02-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #21 (permalink)
You're Welcome.
 
Canadian Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Eh?
Posts: 7,212
Canadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by OU View Post
Yeah if you want to throw common sense out the window and put on your glasses of optimism. I'll believe ya when me shit turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet.


You have no facts to support your claim. All you have is speculation and conjecture. I have no idea what Shields was suspended for, but I'm also not the one running about claiming, 'It's much more likely he was suspended for PEDs'. I'm not being an unbridled optimist or throwing 'common sense' out of the window, but I also tend to subscribe to this nifty little thing called evidence, which we have none of.

For all we know, Jake was busted for smoking up and is too embarrassed to admit it to the world. Or maybe he believes in privacy. Either explanation is plausible, but again, entirely speculative.

I also tend to believe that were Jake busted for PEDs, he would have been suspended for more than 6 months. Go and take a look at comparable suspensions... 6 months for marijuana is common, whereas testing positive for banned substances often lands a fighter one year in the hotbox.

There's a novel concept... actual research!
Canadian Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 02-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #22 (permalink)
My name is Stun Gun and I want GSP
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
 
Stun Gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,175
Stun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLyotoLegion View Post
I'm not a Shields fan but he's the only man to beat Dan Henderson in the last four years, Shogun, Fedor, Feijao, Bisping, and Franklin all couldn't do it but he did. I think he's better at 185 though.

Also everyone who gets popped for roids/testosterone all get a year, Shields only got six months which is what Nick got for his first suspension for pot.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
I agree with you on both what I put in bold and the fact that he's better at MW



Yes OU, I'm a fan of Shields, but we don't know what he was banned for, and it was six months.You have no facts to back what you;re saying.
__________________


Sig Credit - Killz
Stun Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #23 (permalink)
OU
BOOMER SOONER
 
OU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,061
OU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Psycho View Post


You have no facts to support your claim. All you have is speculation and conjecture. I have no idea what Shields was suspended for, but I'm also not the one running about claiming, 'It's much more likely he was suspended for PEDs'. I'm not being an unbridled optimist or throwing 'common sense' out of the window, but I also tend to subscribe to this nifty little thing called evidence, which we have none of.

For all we know, Jake was busted for smoking up and is too embarrassed to admit it to the world. Or maybe he believes in privacy. Either explanation is plausible, but again, entirely speculative.

I also tend to believe that were Jake busted for PEDs, he would have been suspended for more than 6 months. Go and take a look at comparable suspensions... 6 months for marijuana is common, whereas testing positive for banned substances often lands a fighter one year in the hotbox.

There's a novel concept... actual research!
Yeah right, you just keep on believing that. But honestly you are letting your fanhood get in the way of reality you are hoping for the most optimistic outcome. I didn't say for sure what he did I just used common sense in saying what it looks like. Again I can't say for certain but I won't play dumb and not objectively look at the most possible scenario. It's Jake fault for not coming clean on why he wasn't clean. Obviously one scenario is more likely then the other. Just because I can't prove it doesn't mean it's any less likely.

Jeez you guys, we don't have facts because Jake is hiding them. That alone should make you assume the worst not the best. Common sense again.
OU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #24 (permalink)
ROCKET FISTS
 
khoveraki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,743
khoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renown
Bad move. Shields is so strong at 185lbs. It seems obvious MW is his best weight class.

Plus there's a huge roadblock at WW who he'll never get by; a stylistic nightmare; you could say a Super-Saiyan version of himself: Demian Maia.
__________________
WAR CIGANO



sig credit to Limba

lobster train.
khoveraki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #25 (permalink)
You're Welcome.
 
Canadian Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Eh?
Posts: 7,212
Canadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF MaterialCanadian Psycho Is Future HOF Material
I don't like Jake Shields enough to blindly defend him. If there was evidence that he tested positive for steroids, then you and I would not be having this discussion. As I said earlier, your consistently labelling your own scenario as 'much more likely' and 'common sense' doesn't make it either.

You call it the most possible scenario. You say it's common sense. And then you completely ignore the most relevant fact of all - that Jake was suspended for 6 months and not 1 year (which is standard as far as PED suspensions go). The one fact we actually have, and you ignore it. Funny how that works.
Canadian Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
My name is Stun Gun and I want GSP
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
 
Stun Gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,175
Stun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings System
Just because I'm a Shields fan does not mean I will blindly defend him either. If he was caught for roids, I wouldn't say anything, if he was banned for a year I wouldn't be defending him.
__________________


Sig Credit - Killz
Stun Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #27 (permalink)
OU
BOOMER SOONER
 
OU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,061
OU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Psycho View Post
I don't like Jake Shields enough to blindly defend him. If there was evidence that he tested positive for steroids, then you and I would not be having this discussion. As I said earlier, your consistently labelling your own scenario as 'much more likely' and 'common sense' doesn't make it either.

You call it the most possible scenario. You say it's common sense. And then you completely ignore the most relevant fact of all - that Jake was suspended for 6 months and not 1 year (which is standard as far as PED suspensions go). The one fact we actually have, and you ignore it. Funny how that works.
Well Bonnar was suspended for 9 months for steroid use after his 2nd fight with Forrest, not all suspensions are the same. There are other factors involved in that like first time offense, where the fight took place as well as other factors.

But yes, it very much is common sense to look at Jake's situation and say it's far less likely it was weed then it was some substance being used to help add bulk. It's far less likely Jake would hide a positive weed test then it is he would hide a test about a PED or some other banned substance. It's more likely it was a pain killer then weed as well. I don't see the point in hiding a weed test when that is the best possible scenario for Jake. Why leave room for assumption if the truth is the best possible scenario in that situation? Again, common sense.
OU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #28 (permalink)
My name is Stun Gun and I want GSP
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
 
Stun Gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,175
Stun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings SystemStun Gun Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by OU View Post
Well Bonnar was suspended for 9 months for steroid use after his 2nd fight with Forrest, not all suspensions are the same. There are other factors involved in that like first time offense, where the fight took place as well as other factors.

But yes, it very much is common sense to look at Jake's situation and say it's far less likely it was weed then it was some substance being used to help add bulk. It's far less likely Jake would hide a positive weed test then it is he would hide a test about a PED or some other banned substance. It's more likely it was a pain killer then weed as well. I don't see the point in hiding a weed test when that is the best possible scenario for Jake. Why leave room for assumption if the truth is the best possible scenario in that situation? Again, common sense.
"For all we know, Jake was busted for smoking up and is too embarrassed to admit it to the world. Or maybe he believes in privacy. Either explanation is plausible, but again, entirely speculative."

Perhaps if it's weed thats why he is hiding it. It's common sense to look at both sides, not just one, which seems that you're going at. You think just because he doesn't come out and say what he took that it can't be weed, though you have no idea.
__________________


Sig Credit - Killz
Stun Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #29 (permalink)
M.C
Master Elodin
 
M.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Posts: 10,474
M.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the systemM.C has cheated the system
I'm not for or against him going to WW. I don't have much interest in Shield's career right now, but hope he makes the decision that he feels is best for him.
__________________



“Anna, my strong, terrifying Anna.” -Cas
"You lack the requisite spine and testicular fortitude to study under me" -Elodin
M.C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #30 (permalink)
OU
BOOMER SOONER
 
OU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,061
OU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings SystemOU Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stun Gun View Post
"For all we know, Jake was busted for smoking up and is too embarrassed to admit it to the world. Or maybe he believes in privacy. Either explanation is plausible, but again, entirely speculative."

Perhaps if it's weed thats why he is hiding it. It's common sense to look at both sides, not just one, which seems that you're going at. You think just because he doesn't come out and say what he took that it can't be weed, though you have no idea.
IF it is weed then Jake has the poorest PR ever. Because it's moronic to not come clean if that is the case. Simple as that. If the best possible scenario that you guys are so hopeful for is the truth then Jake is a moron for not giving that information out when that is in fact the best possible scenario. If you list the possible reasons for his suspension weed would be least condemning. So I guess it's possible that he is just that stupid, I think it's far more likely that isn't the case. I think you guys are the ones being unrealistic here. It's not the logical outcome.
OU is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios