Hendo says Silva has been choosing his opponents - Page 9 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 02-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #81 (permalink)
The Nightman Cometh
 
UFC_OWNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sell me this pen
Posts: 12,899
Blog Entries: 1
UFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings SystemUFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings SystemUFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings SystemUFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings SystemUFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings SystemUFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings SystemUFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings SystemUFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings SystemUFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings SystemUFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings SystemUFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings System
ahh dan miller perennial number 1 contender cmon, if they ever wanted to make silva vs gsp it should have been then since gsp fought hardy at the same time
__________________

Jim Norton
Nick Dipaolo
Dave Attell
Dave Chappelle
Bill Burr
Joey Diaz
Colin Quinn
Bob Kelly
Rich Vos
Patrice O'Neal
Louis CK


UFC_OWNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 02-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #82 (permalink)
KO artist
 
Liddellianenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,957
Liddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soojooko View Post
Name me one other champ who has so utterly cleared out his division. The only legit contender is Weidman and he's injured. I really dont understand your point.

Bones is close to clearing out his division and hes fighting Sonnen. An utterly useless fight if I ever saw one. It's not just Silva. All the dominant champs fight lesser fighters form time to time. GSP fought Hardy for example.

It keeps coming back to Sonnen. Because he wouldn't fight Sonnen the second he got back from his suspension for cheating and money laundering. Well, why should he give the asshole an immediate shot? Have a fight or two first for fecks sake. Would you give a dude an immediate rematch if the last time you fought him he was jacked up and got banned?

But, end of the day, thats not enough to suggest Silva is ducking anybody. You guys are basing this on a few moans from him here and there. The reality is hes fought everybody there is to fight at MW right now aside from Weidman. *Everybody*. Any fight at MW would be silly. When Weidman is back he will get a shot either immediately or after one more win. Those are the facts no matter what Silva says, and he knows it.

It doesnt look like a duck, and it doesnt smell like one... not to me anyway. This mess is simply what you get when you take a fledgling sport with a small roster and combine that with a champion who is totally dominant.
Weidman only got injured a couple of months ago, but he should have been scheduled to fight Anderson in the first place rather than yet another top 5 MW eliminator (his third in a row) with Boetsch - another top 5 MW that most people would dismiss like his Munoz win anyway.

IMO there's no such thing as a cleaned out division even in this fledgling sport, there are always more newer fighters rising in a year than the 1-3 guys a champ dispatches in a year.

Even in the current MW division, Anderson hasn't fought Weidman, Rockhold, Lombard, Boetsch, and Cung Le, all guys on good streaks against top competition. Do I think any of those guys aside from Weidman have much chance of beating Anderson? Not really. Rockhold has decent enough wrestling to be another maybe-ish but Weidman's the only real threat.

However, I don't think anyone in the current WW, LHW or FW divisions has much chance of beating GSP, Jones or Aldo either. Doesn't mean they should STOP FIGHTING just because we THINK they can't be beat. Otherwise we might as well stop having fights and be full time armchair experts.

Also I would argue GSP has cleaned out his division even more than Silva ... Silva has had a longer reign as champ, but GSP has more UFC wins (17 to Anderson's 16, 3 of which were weak LHWs) and a much longer and grueling path to the title, as well as much tougher opponents overall (his only weak fight was Hardy, Anderson was occasionally fed weak ass guys far below his level like Cote, Leites, Bonnar, Irvin etc.). Yet GSP is still fighting top contenders when he's healthy, not waiting around. Yeah he picked the #4 WW over the #2 WW for now, but that's not nearly as bad as picking the #42 LHW.

Bottomline, I think Dan's kind of a dick but he sort of has a point here. These waste of time forays by Anderson at LHW are pretty dubious, especially when they seem to pop up whenever there's a wrestler waiting to face him at MW.
Liddellianenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #83 (permalink)
of Nazareth
 
Soojooko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Moon
Posts: 7,593
Soojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddellianenko View Post
Weidman only got injured a couple of months ago, but he should have been scheduled to fight Anderson in the first place rather than yet another top 5 MW eliminator (his third in a row) with Boetsch - another top 5 MW that most people would dismiss like his Munoz win anyway.

IMO there's no such thing as a cleaned out division even in this fledgling sport, there are always more newer fighters rising in a year than the 1-3 guys a champ dispatches in a year.

Even in the current MW division, Anderson hasn't fought Weidman, Rockhold, Lombard, Boetsch, and Cung Le, all guys on good streaks against top competition. Do I think any of those guys aside from Weidman have much chance of beating Anderson? Not really. Rockhold has decent enough wrestling to be another maybe-ish but Weidman's the only real threat.

However, I don't think anyone in the current WW, LHW or FW divisions has much chance of beating GSP, Jones or Aldo either. Doesn't mean they should STOP FIGHTING just because we THINK they can't be beat. Otherwise we might as well stop having fights and be full time armchair experts.

Also I would argue GSP has cleaned out his division even more than Silva ... Silva has had a longer reign as champ, but GSP has more UFC wins (17 to Anderson's 16, 3 of which were weak LHWs) and a much longer and grueling path to the title, as well as much tougher opponents overall (his only weak fight was Hardy, Anderson was occasionally fed weak ass guys far below his level like Cote, Leites, Bonnar, Irvin etc.). Yet GSP is still fighting top contenders when he's healthy, not waiting around. Yeah he picked the #4 WW over the #2 WW for now, but that's not nearly as bad as picking the #42 LHW.

Bottomline, I think Dan's kind of a dick but he sort of has a point here. These waste of time forays by Anderson at LHW are pretty dubious, especially when they seem to pop up whenever there's a wrestler waiting to face him at MW.
You word it as if this happens all the time. Silva went up to LHW 3 times. When he fought Forrest, which MW was he ducking at that time? Or Irvin? Only the Bonnar fight holds any water. That's a single fight.

This is where I have the problem. This idea that Silva consistently dodges wrestlers. And yet, when I ask for evidence, its wafer thin. The arguments keep coming back to Sonnen and Weidman. And my retort is exactly the same. One got beat already and got BANNED FOR CHEATING. Then got a rematch all of 9 months after the ban was lifted.

Weidman should get a shot. I agree. For the sake of argument, lets say Silva was ducking him when he fought Bonnar. That's one solitary valid argument that Silva ducked somebody.

Yet all I'm hearing is exaggerations. "Silva does this shit all the time". Its nonsense with nothing solid to back it up.
Soojooko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #84 (permalink)
KO artist
 
Liddellianenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,957
Liddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemLiddellianenko Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soojooko View Post
You word it as if this happens all the time. Silva went up to LHW 3 times. When he fought Forrest, which MW was he ducking at that time? Or Irvin? Only the Bonnar fight holds any water. That's a single fight.

This is where I have the problem. This idea that Silva consistently dodges wrestlers. And yet, when I ask for evidence, its wafer thin. The arguments keep coming back to Sonnen and Weidman. And my retort is exactly the same. One got beat already and got BANNED FOR CHEATING. Then got a rematch all of 9 months after the ban was lifted.

Weidman should get a shot. I agree. For the sake of argument, lets say Silva was ducking him when he fought Bonnar. That's one solitary valid argument that Silva ducked somebody.

Yet all I'm hearing is exaggerations. "Silva does this shit all the time". Its nonsense with nothing solid to back it up.
Ok yeah it's mainly just Weidman, but the whole Bonnar fight, layoff and the constant "Weidman doesn't deserve to fight Anderson" by Soares rubbed me the wrong way, hence my rant.
Liddellianenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #85 (permalink)
The Nightman Cometh
 
UFC_OWNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sell me this pen
Posts: 12,899
Blog Entries: 1
UFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings SystemUFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings SystemUFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings SystemUFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings SystemUFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings SystemUFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings SystemUFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings SystemUFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings SystemUFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings SystemUFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings SystemUFC_OWNS Is Beyond A Rankings System
I agree sooj anderson is ducking all the wrestlers i'm glad we are in proverbial cohoots ha ha ha
__________________

Jim Norton
Nick Dipaolo
Dave Attell
Dave Chappelle
Bill Burr
Joey Diaz
Colin Quinn
Bob Kelly
Rich Vos
Patrice O'Neal
Louis CK


UFC_OWNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #86 (permalink)
of Nazareth
 
Soojooko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Moon
Posts: 7,593
Soojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddellianenko View Post
Ok yeah it's mainly just Weidman, but the whole Bonnar fight, layoff and the constant "Weidman doesn't deserve to fight Anderson" by Soares rubbed me the wrong way, hence my rant.
Indeed. This is the crux of it. He should have fought Weidman instead of Bonnar. That was a silly move on both Silvas and the UFC's part. Whether he was ducking him is debatable. But Bonnar instead?? Silly.
Soojooko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #87 (permalink)
 
Budhisten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 8,999
Budhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF Material
Don't forget he took Bonnar on short notice to save a card. I doubt either Silva or Weidman would've been ready and down to 185 for that card anyways.

You guys like to hate on Silva because he's an easy target (Anyone who sits on top of a division as long as he has is bound to be questioned).

That being said, I think the next fight should be against Weidman and I hope it happens soon
__________________



MMAForum - Please follow, like and download our app!
Budhisten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #88 (permalink)
of Nazareth
 
Soojooko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Moon
Posts: 7,593
Soojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budhisten View Post
Don't forget he took Bonnar on short notice to save a card. I doubt either Silva or Weidman would've been ready and down to 185 for that card anyways.

You guys like to hate on Silva because he's an easy target (Anyone who sits on top of a division as long as he has is bound to be questioned).

That being said, I think the next fight should be against Weidman and I hope it happens soon
I cant remember the timings. Was the suggested Weidman fight not leaving enough time to cut? If that's the case, then even the claim that he ducked Weidman carries no weight.

Silva ducks no man. But he's sure as hell gonna troll a few.
Soojooko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #89 (permalink)
 
Budhisten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 8,999
Budhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF MaterialBudhisten Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soojooko View Post
I cant remember the timings. Was the suggested Weidman fight not leaving enough time to cut? If that's the case, then even the claim that he ducked Weidman carries no weight.

Silva ducks no man. But he's sure as hell gonna troll a few.
Here's all the background on the event I could grab from Wikipedia. Note that UFC 153 took place on October 13th, leaving Silva a month to prepare from when he took the fight.

Quote:
Vitor Belfort was expected to face Alan Belcher at the event. However, Belfort was pulled from the bout to face Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones on September 22, 2012 at UFC 152. Belcher also was forced to drop out of the card due to a spinal fracture.

After having their first fight end in a no contest due to an eye poke in the first round, a rematch between Phil Davis and Wagner Prado was briefly linked to UFC on FX: Browne vs. Bigfoot and then scheduled for this event.

Quinton Jackson was scheduled to face Glover Teixeira at the event. However, Jackson pulled out of the bout citing an injury, and was replaced by Fabio Maldonado. Former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Rashad Evans was offered the fight with Teixeira but turned it down due to the short notice.

Geronimo dos Santos was scheduled to fight Gabriel Gonzaga at this event. However, dos Santos pulled out of the bout after a blood test showed that he had antibodies for Hepatitis B. With no time to find a suitable replacement, Gonzaga was pulled from the card.

Erik Koch was expected to face UFC Featherweight Champion José Aldo in a title fight at this event, but on August 31, 2012, Koch was forced to pull out due to injury. Former UFC Lightweight Champion Frankie Edgar had agreed to step in for Koch and fight Aldo for the Featherweight title. However, on September 11, Aldo was also forced to pull out of the event with a foot injury after being involved in a motorcycle accident.

On September 12, 2012, UFC officials announced that UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva and former The Ultimate Fighter star Stephan Bonnar would fight in the main event. Silva was a massive favorite going into the bout, which was a three-round fight. Although all main event fights have been five-round affairs since UFC 138, UFC 153 was the exception due to the short notice. On November 4, 2012, both Bonnar and Herman were revealed to have tested positive for banned substances, with Bonnar showing steroids in his tests and Herman for marijuana.
So the way I see it - he stepped up to save a BADLY stricken card. Having already lost Rampage, Vitor and an Aldo title-defence.
__________________



MMAForum - Please follow, like and download our app!
Budhisten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #90 (permalink)
It's a league game, Smokey
 
Ape City's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Planet of the Apes
Posts: 6,619
Ape City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings System
What a joke. Critisizing the guy who choked you out by saying he gets to pick and choose easier matches.

Hendo even mentions he would only drop down for Silva. That kind of sounds like picking and choosing matches.

__________________
mad props: Toxic
Ape City is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios