Most Underrated Fighters in UFC per division? - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Asian MMA is dead
 
Stun Gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,817
                     
Most Underrated Fighters in UFC per division?

So since theres an overrated thread, I thought I'd ask to see who everyone thought was the more underrated fighters per division
ps. I'll have my list shortly

HW - Mark Hunt
LHW - Ryan Bader/Jimmo
MW - Okami - I believe he gets overlooked a lot of the time others would be Fukuda or CB
WW - Mike Pierce/Stun Gun/ John Hathway
LW - Mark Bocek/Ross Pearson
FW - Nik Lentz/Pablo Garza
BW - Kyung Ho Kang/ Erik Perez



Sig Credit - El Bresko
Stun Gun is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 12:53 AM
ptw
Featherweight
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,297
                     
HW - Bigfoot; if it was anyone else who beat Reem in that fashion they would have probably gotten a title shot, but since it's bigfoot, and he got his ass kicked by Cain it was basically just something he managed to pull off.
LHW - Phil Davis; he went 5 rounds with Rashad, and that is his sole loss.
MW - weidman; I hate on the guy for not earning his shot, but I will admit beating Maia on short notice and KOing Munoz with a pretty sick elbow to the face is impressive.
WW - Fitch & Hendricks; I just feel bad for Fitch, he should've never fought to a draw with Penn, and the flash KO against Hendricks was unfortunate, Maia was a horrible match up for him and it was a great fight. Hendricks is kind of a gimmie, poor guy should've gotten a title shot when he KO'd fitch.
LW - Edgar; fact of the matter is the poor guy didn't lose his belt, just the way the game works I suppose, but I feel everyone has already forgotten about Edgar since he's had 3 title shots already and can't seem to be on the winning side of the razor thin decisions.
FW - Aldo owns this division, and he needs to move up to LW.
ptw is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 01:15 AM
The Chosen One
 
Cookie Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada's East Coast
Posts: 1,487
Blog Entries: 5
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
HW - Bigfoot; if it was anyone else who beat Reem in that fashion they would have probably gotten a title shot, but since it's bigfoot, and he got his ass kicked by Cain it was basically just something he managed to pull off.
LHW - Phil Davis; he went 5 rounds with Rashad, and that is his sole loss.
MW - weidman; I hate on the guy for not earning his shot, but I will admit beating Maia on short notice and KOing Munoz with a pretty sick elbow to the face is impressive.
WW - Fitch & Hendricks; I just feel bad for Fitch, he should've never fought to a draw with Penn, and the flash KO against Hendricks was unfortunate, Maia was a horrible match up for him and it was a great fight. Hendricks is kind of a gimmie, poor guy should've gotten a title shot when he KO'd fitch.
LW - Edgar; fact of the matter is the poor guy didn't lose his belt, just the way the game works I suppose, but I feel everyone has already forgotten about Edgar since he's had 3 title shots already and can't seem to be on the winning side of the razor thin decisions.
FW - Aldo owns this division, and he needs to move up to LW.
you read the part where it's underrated fighters, right? If anything Edgar is almost overrated, and Aldo is rightfully respected. other than that I'm inclined to agree with you.

for me underrated at LW is Bocek and BW is Wineland.

The poster formerly known as Cowgirl


Thanks to Killz for the great sig!

Cookie Monster is offline  
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Asian MMA is dead
 
Stun Gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,817
                     
Yeah the Aldo, Frankie answers don't make that much sense to me.

Fitch is kind of underrated, people don't always give him the respect he deserves



Sig Credit - El Bresko
Stun Gun is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 05:42 AM
Elusive
 
mattandbenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Essex, England
Posts: 2,092
                     
Heavyweight: Stefan Struve - 9-3 in the ufc with 8 finishes, on 4 fight win streak
Light heavyweight: James Te Huna - 5-1 in ufc with wins over jimmo & pokrajac
Middleweight: Rafael Natal - Since losing gis debut he's gone 3-1-1, but would be 4-0-1 if he hadn't of got cocky vs. Craig
Welterweight: Mike Pierce - 9-3 in the ufc, but could be 11-1 if he was given the nod in split decisions vs. koscheck & hendricks
Lightweight: Rafael Dos Anjos - Since losing his first 2 ufc fights he's gone 7-2 with wins over Sotiropoulos, Njokuani & Bocek.
Featherweight: Darren Elkins - Queitly put together a 4 fight win streak over solid fighters such as Omigawa, Brandao & Siler
Bantamweight: Alex Caceres - He looks better every fight & if it wasnt for 2 point deductions vs. Figueroa he'd be on a 4 fight win streak


I think some have failed to grasp the concept of underrated - weidman, hendricks. Bigfoot silva are all number 1-2 contendors, Aldo is the champ, Edgar former champ....



FORMER UFC CPL CHAMPION

CPL RECORD: 5-3

Events Attended: UFC 120, CWFC 45, CWFC 52
mattandbenny is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 09:44 AM
Colossal-weight
 
Sportsman 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: On the move again...
Posts: 7,550
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
you read the part where it's underrated fighters, right? If anything Edgar is almost overrated, and Aldo is rightfully respected. other than that I'm inclined to agree with you.

for me underrated at LW is Bocek and BW is Wineland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stun Gun View Post
Yeah the Aldo, Frankie answers don't make that much sense to me.

Fitch is kind of underrated, people don't always give him the respect he deserves
Agree, but I had to make it loud. Edgar is a runner who rellies mostly in his endurance. He got all the chances but just fails to convince and have to complain about results. He is the most overrated fighter ever. Just to read his name in some P4P lists drives me nuts.

Fitch has a style I personally don't like, but when he implements it, he undeniably overwhelms his opponents. He deservs respect for sure.


You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
Sportsman 2.0 is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 10:12 AM
Featherweight
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,413
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stun Gun View Post
Yeah the Aldo, Frankie answers don't make that much sense to me.

Fitch is kind of underrated, people don't always give him the respect he deserves
That's fair, the Hunt answer doesn't make much sense to me. Edgar is underrated, if only because people talk about his heart and his endurance, and never about the fact that he's one of the best MMA wrestlers at any weight class, or that his footwork and combinations are some of the best in any weight class.

That's not to say that I think he's the most underrated LW or FW.

HW - Struve.
LHW - Nogueira. Sensible people actually thought putting credits on Evans at 0.23 was a good idea.
MW - Eh, I'm gonna go with Costa.
WW - GSP. I know, he's the champ and #3 on most P4P lists, but I still think he doesn't get the credit he deserves for being so dominant in such a stacked division.
LW - Pettis was actually the vBookie underdog against Cerrone. I'm gonna go with that.
FW - Agreed about Darren Elkins.
Sports_Nerd is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Asian MMA is dead
 
Stun Gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,817
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports_Nerd View Post
That's fair, the Hunt answer doesn't make much sense to me. Edgar is underrated, if only because people talk about his heart and his endurance, and never about the fact that he's one of the best MMA wrestlers at any weight class, or that his footwork and combinations are some of the best in any weight class.

That's not to say that I think he's the most underrated LW or FW.

HW - Struve.
LHW - Nogueira. Sensible people actually thought putting credits on Evans at 0.23 was a good idea.
MW - Eh, I'm gonna go with Costa.
WW - GSP. I know, he's the champ and #3 on most P4P lists, but I still think he doesn't get the credit he deserves for being so dominant in such a stacked division.
LW - Pettis was actually the vBookie underdog against Cerrone. I'm gonna go with that.
FW - Agreed about Darren Elkins.
Hunt is underrated because before recently he has looked less than stellar. But he's improved but people don't give him the respect he deserves still.

I think Lil nog is highly overrated, don't get me wrong I am a fan of him. Edgar is a great fighter I agree, he just doesn't have much finishing power. But same can be said about Bendo



Sig Credit - El Bresko
Stun Gun is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Number 1 Nerf-Herder
 
Dr Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,508
                     
HW. Struve
LHW. Forrest (Yeah he's not the best, but since 2006 has only lost agaisnt Anderson, Rashad and Rua.)
MW. Meh, all pretty much spot on, maybe Tom Watson? Bested Ninja Rua not long ago.
WW. Brain Ebersole (had been on a tear before losing to James Head.)
LW. Not sure about this one. Going with Jamie Varner, last 3 fights have been freaking awesome.
FW. Clay Guida. (Yeah I said it. Fought 7 times in two years, losing only against Bendo and Maynard)
BW. Brad Pickett (Ok, not the most successful, but he really does have 1 punch KO! A freaking Bantamweight!)




Watch The Trews! True news! Subscribe here!!


https://m.youtube.com/user/russellbrand
Dr Gonzo is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 01:48 PM
Bantamweight
 
Mike28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Monrovia, CA
Posts: 745
                     
HW: Pat Barry
LHW: Dan Henderson
MW: Anderson Silva (Everytime he fights, there are so many people who say he will lose. I will never understand how that big of a fan base can underrate the best of all time)
WW: Johnny Hendricks
LW: Donald Cerrone

Top 10 Favorite Active Fighters
Anderson Silva
Jon Jones
Anthony Pettis
Pat Barry
Matt Mitrione
Gunnar Nelson
Mark Hunt
Carlos Condit
Chris Weidman
Rory MacDonald
Mike28 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome