UFC releases Japanese middleweight Riki Fukuda - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 07:48 AM
It's Hammer Time!
 
Hammerlock2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 9,589
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stun Gun View Post
Exactly. So he's not a cheater OU.
There's pseudoephedrine in there which is an amphetamine related drug so...




Rookie Hammer Squad 2015
Frankie Edgar - Dominick Cruz - Jorge Masvidal - Cat Zingano - Holly Holm

Last edited by Hammerlock2.0; 03-25-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Hammerlock2.0 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 08:34 AM
Colossal-weight
 
John8204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 8,967
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerlock2.0 View Post
There's pseudoephedrine in there which is an amphetamine related drug so...
He took Sudafed, their are medical reasons to take amphetamines, steroids, and "masking" agents. To call guys cheaters because they dared to get a cold misses the point of drug testing.

This is the issue with drug testing. Fighters are having their health and privacy compromised in the effort to find cheaters. If you are going to effectively test fighters you need to do so when they would be cycling for the fight. The only things you should be looking for pre-fight are diuretics. This poor SOB made the mistake of taking over the counter cold medicine and now he's lost his job and is labeled a cheater for the rest of his career, while 30/40% of the UFC guys that really are on the roids are getting away with it.

We're seeing more suspensions for Pot than for Steroids, I have a huge problem with this and so should everyone else.
John8204 is offline  
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 09:04 AM
Featherweight
 
DanTheJu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hurricane Alley (Daytona)
Posts: 1,013
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by John8204 View Post
He took Sudafed, their are medical reasons to take amphetamines, steroids, and "masking" agents. To call guys cheaters because they dared to get a cold misses the point of drug testing.

This is the issue with drug testing. Fighters are having their health and privacy compromised in the effort to find cheaters. If you are going to effectively test fighters you need to do so when they would be cycling for the fight. The only things you should be looking for pre-fight are diuretics. This poor SOB made the mistake of taking over the counter cold medicine and now he's lost his job and is labeled a cheater for the rest of his career, while 30/40% of the UFC guys that really are on the roids are getting away with it.

We're seeing more suspensions for Pot than for Steroids, I have a huge problem with this and so should everyone else.
Sudafed is not really an over the counter, it is a behind the counter drug, meaning any adult can buy it, but the amounts are controlled and they are not available on the sales floor. The reason for this with with sudafed is because it is used as an ingredient in making methamphetamine.

So, the reason the drugs he was caught with are not allowed in competitive sports is because they can be used as a masking agent for meth (meth would show up as some of the same drugs in a drug test). An athlete could be a full-on raging meth head, pop a few sudafed before drug testing, and just say he had a cold, that's why amphetamines where in his body.

Now, am I saying Fukuda is a meth head? No, not at all. Dont know the guy, dont know what he does with his free time. All I am saying is he took drugs that are on the banned list, and there for a good reason. So he knowingly (or ignorantly) took banned drugs.

On top of that, he had a loosing record with not a single finish. I dont see it as a great loss to the UFC.

-------------------
Dan The Ju
-------------------
DanTheJu is offline  
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 09:09 AM
Featherweight
 
DanTheJu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hurricane Alley (Daytona)
Posts: 1,013
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by John8204 View Post
He took Sudafed, their are medical reasons to take amphetamines, steroids, and "masking" agents. To call guys cheaters because they dared to get a cold misses the point of drug testing.

This is the issue with drug testing. Fighters are having their health and privacy compromised in the effort to find cheaters. If you are going to effectively test fighters you need to do so when they would be cycling for the fight. The only things you should be looking for pre-fight are diuretics. This poor SOB made the mistake of taking over the counter cold medicine and now he's lost his job and is labeled a cheater for the rest of his career, while 30/40% of the UFC guys that really are on the roids are getting away with it.

We're seeing more suspensions for Pot than for Steroids, I have a huge problem with this and so should everyone else.
Breaking the rules IS cheating. Is it on the level of cycling steroids? CLEARLY NOT! But, it is against the rules, so don't do it!

Now on to your point about out of competition random drug tests. I agree that is the only way to prevent steroid cycling. If an athlete never knows when a test is coming, they never know if they can get away with taking roids.

Quote:
The only things you should be looking for pre-fight are diuretics.
This, however, I disagree with 100%. They should still test for ALL banned substances, pre and post fight. If testing is ONLY for diuretics, that allows a window for a fighter to take what ever enhancement they can before they walk out to the cage (such as true amphetamines or pain pills).

-------------------
Dan The Ju
-------------------
DanTheJu is offline  
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 09:14 AM
Asian MMA is dead
 
Stun Gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,817
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by John8204 View Post
He took Sudafed, their are medical reasons to take amphetamines, steroids, and "masking" agents. To call guys cheaters because they dared to get a cold misses the point of drug testing.

This is the issue with drug testing. Fighters are having their health and privacy compromised in the effort to find cheaters. If you are going to effectively test fighters you need to do so when they would be cycling for the fight. The only things you should be looking for pre-fight are diuretics. This poor SOB made the mistake of taking over the counter cold medicine and now he's lost his job and is labeled a cheater for the rest of his career, while 30/40% of the UFC guys that really are on the roids are getting away with it.

We're seeing more suspensions for Pot than for Steroids, I have a huge problem with this and so should everyone else.
This is exactly how I see it. You can't call him a cheater. its BS



Sig Credit - El Bresko
Stun Gun is offline  
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 10:14 AM
It's Hammer Time!
 
Hammerlock2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 9,589
                     
I never said he was using cold medicine willingy to cheat but the fact is he used meds that contain performance enhancing drugs. You know you're gonna get tested so get a prescription and tell the commission. If you're an athlete and not aware of what's in your cold medicine then that's one you and noone else.

And yeah, the drug testing system is very bad but that doesn't mean people using amphetamines (be it for clearing their nose or enhancing their performance) should get cleared to fight.




Rookie Hammer Squad 2015
Frankie Edgar - Dominick Cruz - Jorge Masvidal - Cat Zingano - Holly Holm

Last edited by Hammerlock2.0; 03-25-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Hammerlock2.0 is offline  
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Colossal-weight
 
John8204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 8,967
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTheJu View Post

This, however, I disagree with 100%. They should still test for ALL banned substances, pre and post fight. If testing is ONLY for diuretics, that allows a window for a fighter to take what ever enhancement they can before they walk out to the cage (such as true amphetamines or pain pills).
Out of the hundreds of fighters they've tested over the past year the pre/post testings caught what three guys (Tavares, Bonnar, Johnson). So either the sport is 99% clean (which we doubt) or the testing is messed up. Catching for Flu meds, and pot is a waste of time and resources, resources that should be focused on getting the roiders out. Surprise testing is so much more effective and needs to be the focus of this program.
John8204 is offline  
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 10:57 AM
Featherweight
 
DanTheJu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hurricane Alley (Daytona)
Posts: 1,013
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by John8204 View Post
Out of the hundreds of fighters they've tested over the past year the pre/post testings caught what three guys (Tavares, Bonnar, Johnson). So either the sport is 99% clean (which we doubt) or the testing is messed up. Catching for Flu meds, and pot is a waste of time and resources, resources that should be focused on getting the roiders out. Surprise testing is so much more effective and needs to be the focus of this program.
The reason they don't catch many is because it is a VERY effective method of stopping fighters from having anything in their system during the fight. I would call this success.

The FAILURE is in the lack of random drug testing. All licensed fighters and fighters applying for licencing should be randomly screened for "out of competition" banned drugs.

Adding Random drug testing NEEDS to happen, but they need to also keep pre and post fight testing in place!

-------------------
Dan The Ju
-------------------
DanTheJu is offline  
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 11:06 AM
OU
Ultra-weight
 
OU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,080
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stun Gun View Post
Exactly. So he's not a cheater OU.
Maybe if he spent less time fighting that cold and more time fighting his opponent he would still have a job! Kidding of course.
OU is offline  
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Asian MMA is dead
 
Stun Gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,817
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by OU View Post
Maybe if he spent less time fighting that cold and more time fighting his opponent he would still have a job! Kidding of course.
face palm.



Sig Credit - El Bresko
Stun Gun is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome