UFC 158 PPV numbers expected to top 800,000 buys - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 03-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 312
NoYards is a splendid one to beholdNoYards is a splendid one to beholdNoYards is a splendid one to beholdNoYards is a splendid one to beholdNoYards is a splendid one to beholdNoYards is a splendid one to beholdNoYards is a splendid one to beholdNoYards is a splendid one to beholdNoYards is a splendid one to beholdNoYards is a splendid one to beholdNoYards is a splendid one to behold
Penn vs Diaz did 280K, Condit vs Diaz did ~400K in PPV sales .... GSP vs Diaz did 800K.

GSP's 7 PPV headlines pulled in between 625K and 1.6M (UFC 100, with Lesnar on the main event, so not all GSP's doing.)

And somehow we are to believe a large part of that 800K was Diaz?

Even Condit and Hendricks draw as good or better than Diaz



Johny Hendricks

UFC 133 310,000 (vs. Mike Pierce)
UFC 141 535,000 (vs. Jon Fitch)
UFC 154 700,000 (vs. Martin Kampman)

Carlos Condit

UFC 132 320,000 (vs. Kim Dong-Hyun)
UFC 143 400,000 (vs. Diaz)
UFC 154 700,000 (vs. GSP)
NoYards is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 03-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
_CaptainRon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dallas, Texas, USA
Posts: 643
_CaptainRon is a name known to all_CaptainRon is a name known to all_CaptainRon is a name known to all_CaptainRon is a name known to all_CaptainRon is a name known to all_CaptainRon is a name known to all_CaptainRon is a name known to all_CaptainRon is a name known to all_CaptainRon is a name known to all_CaptainRon is a name known to all_CaptainRon is a name known to all
The 700k and 800k is a pretty significant difference. That much pays for a venue entirely. There's not a lot of fighters that can push the needle that much.
__________________
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
_CaptainRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lightweight
 
Kreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,799
Kreed Is A BallerKreed Is A BallerKreed Is A BallerKreed Is A BallerKreed Is A BallerKreed Is A BallerKreed Is A BallerKreed Is A BallerKreed Is A BallerKreed Is A BallerKreed Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by guycanada View Post
GSP is sure a boring fighter! (sarcasm) no one wants to see him....PPV king!
he is a boring fighter but thats not going to suddenly put a stop to the support he will always receive from gays, woman, and those that cant identify with the suddenly diverse assemblage of champions.
__________________
To Live is 2 suffer, 2 survive? well that is 2 find meaning in the suffering
Kreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
guycanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 750
guycanada is on another level nowguycanada is on another level nowguycanada is on another level nowguycanada is on another level nowguycanada is on another level nowguycanada is on another level nowguycanada is on another level nowguycanada is on another level nowguycanada is on another level nowguycanada is on another level nowguycanada is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreed View Post
he is a boring fighter but thats not going to suddenly put a stop to the support he will always receive from gays, woman, and those that cant identify with the suddenly diverse assemblage of champions.

I disagree, while a finish would be nice, it was awesome to see yet another opponent have no answer, every time Diaz tried to roll under, GSP had moved around the back to continue working...I was yelling for more knee's to the body (Serra 2 stoppage)

He works from top control with posture, doesn't lay on the guy like so many accuse him of doing fight in fight out.

I don't see another WW being a PPV draw, like the LW's and under will continue to struggle
__________________
Ufc Events Attended:

Ufc Fight Night: Davis Vs Nogueira, Ufc 131, Ufc 143, Ufc 148, Ufc on Fox 5, Ufc 156, Ufc on Fox 8
-----

Chael Sonnen - "I was in public office, and I left public office the only way a person should..In Handcuffs"
guycanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
Lightweight
 
Woodenhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,721
Woodenhead Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatWoodenhead Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatWoodenhead Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatWoodenhead Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatWoodenhead Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatWoodenhead Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatWoodenhead Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatWoodenhead Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatWoodenhead Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatWoodenhead Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatWoodenhead Is A Pound 4 Pound Great
I'm certain Diaz helped bump it up a lil' bit. Lots of talk & hype leading up to this one. Maybe it was just because the first go-around got cancelled, too - who knows. Gotta give Diaz some cred, nonetheless.

I'm definitely a Diaz hater, but dammit if that kid got his head screwed on right & surrounded himself with different people, he'd be so much better off right now...
Woodenhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #16 (permalink)
Amateur
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 182
MCMAP Wizzard is on another level nowMCMAP Wizzard is on another level nowMCMAP Wizzard is on another level nowMCMAP Wizzard is on another level nowMCMAP Wizzard is on another level nowMCMAP Wizzard is on another level nowMCMAP Wizzard is on another level nowMCMAP Wizzard is on another level nowMCMAP Wizzard is on another level nowMCMAP Wizzard is on another level nowMCMAP Wizzard is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreed View Post
he is a boring fighter but thats not going to suddenly put a stop to the support he will always receive from gays, woman, and those that cant identify with the suddenly diverse assemblage of champions.
LOL'd
MCMAP Wizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #17 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 312
NoYards is a splendid one to beholdNoYards is a splendid one to beholdNoYards is a splendid one to beholdNoYards is a splendid one to beholdNoYards is a splendid one to beholdNoYards is a splendid one to beholdNoYards is a splendid one to beholdNoYards is a splendid one to beholdNoYards is a splendid one to beholdNoYards is a splendid one to beholdNoYards is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CaptainRon View Post
The 700k and 800k is a pretty significant difference. That much pays for a venue entirely. There's not a lot of fighters that can push the needle that much.
You mean besides the elite PPV draw magnets like Hardy (770K) and Shields (800K) when they fought GSP?

So you rank Diaz right up there with Hard and Shields in terms of draw power? I'm impressed /sarcasm
NoYards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
It's a league game, Smokey
 
Ape City's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Planet of the Apes
Posts: 7,063
Ape City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellholming View Post
I'd say a large part is because of Nick Diaz.
And the fact he is fighting GSP. Diaz Condit did 400k views and Diaz was his old self leading up. People actually started to believe Nick might have a chance. Others started to believe GSP was actually going to beat Nick up.

The hero and the villain both sold this fight.
__________________
mad props: Toxic
Ape City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ultra-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,360
jonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoYards View Post

Johny Hendricks

UFC 133 310,000 (vs. Mike Pierce)
UFC 141 535,000 (vs. Jon Fitch)
UFC 154 700,000 (vs. Martin Kampman)

Carlos Condit

UFC 132 320,000 (vs. Kim Dong-Hyun)
UFC 143 400,000 (vs. Diaz)
UFC 154 700,000 (vs. GSP)
It is hilarious that you use fights like Hendrick/Pierce and Condit/Kim as if they sold those PPVs. Yea, UFC 141 didn't sell because of Brock vs. Overeem. It was all because of Hendricks/Fitch.

Your logic is laughable.

No, Diaz/GSP didn't sell much more than vs Shields or Hardy. But if you would do a little more research you would understand that the golden era of PPV sales as passed. 500,000 buys is good numbers these days. 500,000 a couple of years ago would have been a very average PPV. People don't buy PPVs as a whole as much as they used too. Streaming and the amount of events is probably a good reason why.
jonnyg4508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 312
NoYards is a splendid one to beholdNoYards is a splendid one to beholdNoYards is a splendid one to beholdNoYards is a splendid one to beholdNoYards is a splendid one to beholdNoYards is a splendid one to beholdNoYards is a splendid one to beholdNoYards is a splendid one to beholdNoYards is a splendid one to beholdNoYards is a splendid one to beholdNoYards is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
It is hilarious that you use fights like Hendrick/Pierce and Condit/Kim as if they sold those PPVs. Yea, UFC 141 didn't sell because of Brock vs. Overeem. It was all because of Hendricks/Fitch.

Your logic is laughable.

No, Diaz/GSP didn't sell much more than vs Shields or Hardy. But if you would do a little more research you would understand that the golden era of PPV sales as passed. 500,000 buys is good numbers these days. 500,000 a couple of years ago would have been a very average PPV. People don't buy PPVs as a whole as much as they used too. Streaming and the amount of events is probably a good reason why.
Yeah, I suspect that attributing Hendricks drawing power to the sales of 141 is pretty laughable ... about the same level of laughable as attributing 158 draw to anything to do with Diaz, especially when GSP can fight Hardy on a card not nearly as stacked or important in terms of contender standings and draw the same numbers.

In the last couple of years, when you claim 500K is a good number (and which I tend to agree,) GSP fights have consistently drawn in 800K range .. so let's not pretend that the 800K had anything more to do with Diaz as it did having Condit/Hendricks and Ellenberger/Marquardt on the card.

GSP draws, Diaz doesn't ... I see no proof that Diaz has any drawing power, except drawing media for a quick and easy controversial and stupid comment.
NoYards is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios