Korean Zombie' compares GSP's UFC 158 Japanese 'Rising Sun Flag' gi to Nazi swastika - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 08:38 PM
Lightweight
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,655
                     
I find it hilarious that posters on this forum think their opinions on what countries/races of people find offensive is even valid.
Hellboy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 08:50 PM
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
 
osmium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 6,517
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Psycho View Post
I was hoping this 'story' would go unnoticed. Fair play to Korean Zombie for being respectful, but the symbol obviously means something entirely different to GSP (we all know how much he respects martial arts), and Hayabusa sponsors many UFC and other fighters. Frankly, I'm certain everything under the sun could be construed as offensive by people the world over. The 'Rising Sun' symbol means many things to many people. What might represent war crimes in one area of the world clearly represents martial arts in another - why should either side be made to conform to the views of the other?

And the swastika comparison is a bit much. This isn't a case of some skinhead marching around with a swastika tattooed on his forehead. It's a man who covets martial arts wearing a symbol representative of martial arts.

That said, I'm not Korean. I can't appreciate what the symbol means to some. But I'm also open minded enough to know that some views and representations don't translate across continents.
Foreigners not understanding japanese culture doesn't make a symbol representing militance and aggression a karate symbol. You are essentially saying it would be totally cool for GSP to wear a swastika if he decided it represented double leg takedowns. They use it similarly in japan to how some southerners in the USA use the confederate flag.
osmium is offline  
post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 09:10 PM
You're Welcome.
 
Canadian Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Eh?
Posts: 7,723
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmium View Post
Foreigners not understanding japanese culture doesn't make a symbol representing militance and aggression a karate symbol. You are essentially saying it would be totally cool for GSP to wear a swastika if he decided it represented double leg takedowns. They use it similarly in japan to how some southerners in the USA use the confederate flag.
You and I both know that's not what I'm saying. I even addressed talk of the swastika comparison. But I also understand and appreciate your point. I even acknowledged that I don't understand what the symbol means to Koreans and certain other peoples. As someone from a completely different race and background, it'd be impossible for me to understand fully.

That said, your example doesn't really work. The 'Rising Sun' symbol actually is representative of martial arts in many circles/cultures. That doesn't quite compare with GSP spontaneously deciding that a swastika represents a 'double leg'.

Besides, I never made the point that this symbol didn't have a vitriolic meaning to certain peoples. My point was that a symbol can have multiple meanings. The Karate Kid heavily featured this symbol... I'm inclined to believe that said film was more about martial arts than it was subliminal racism (although... lol).

All that aside, I'm sure GSP will take note, reconsider his wardrobe, and everyone will be better off. I appreciate what this symbol means to a large portion of the world, and it probably is better to pick another design. It's a minor concession in the grand scheme of things.
Canadian Psycho is offline  
post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 09:18 PM
It's a league game, Smokey
 
Ape City's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Planet of the Apes
Posts: 8,196
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I find it hilarious that posters on this forum think their opinions on what countries/races of people find offensive is even valid.
I find it hilarious that you automatically discredit everyone opinion because they are posting on this forum.


mad props: Toxic
Ape City is offline  
post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 09:19 PM
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
 
osmium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 6,517
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Psycho View Post
You and I both know that's not what I'm saying. I even addressed talk of the swastika comparison. But I also understand and appreciate your point. I even acknowledged that I don't understand what the symbol means to Koreans and certain other peoples. As someone from a completely different race and background, it'd be impossible for me to understand fully.

That said, your example doesn't really work. The 'Rising Sun' symbol actually is representative of martial arts in many circles/cultures. That doesn't quite compare with GSP spontaneously deciding that a swastika represents a 'double leg'.

Besides, I never made the point that this symbol didn't have a vitriolic meaning to certain peoples. My point was that a symbol can have multiple meanings. The Karate Kid heavily featured this symbol... I'm inclined to believe that said film was more about martial arts than it was subliminal racism.
I'm inclined to believe that the people making that film didn't know what it represented since the vast majority of instances where I have seen japanese people using it was for the purposes of douchebaggery much like southerners use the confederate flag.

I am not saying GSP is racist or the people who made the karate kid are(though you could probably make a case for it) but your argument is ludicrous. The rising sun flag was the one used by the troops attacking pearl harbor this has everything to do with whether or not western media latched onto various imagery which doesn't change the acts those images represented. People still use nazi imagery including swastikas in japan and india without associating it with wanting jews dead that doesn't make it cool to do.
osmium is offline  
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 09:24 PM
It's a league game, Smokey
 
Ape City's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Planet of the Apes
Posts: 8,196
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmium View Post
I'm inclined to believe that the people making that film didn't know what it represented since the vast majority of instances where I have seen japanese people using it was for the purposes of douchebaggery much like southerners use the confederate flag.

I am not saying GSP is racist or the people who made the karate kid are(though you could probably make a case for it) but your argument is ludicrous. The rising sun flag was the one used by the troops attacking pearl harbor this has everything to do with whether or not western media latched onto various imagery which doesn't change the acts those images represented. People still use nazi imagery including swastikas in japan and india without associating it with wanting jews dead that doesn't make it cool to do.
I dunno man, the swastika is literally an ancient symbol.



mad props: Toxic
Ape City is offline  
post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 09:27 PM
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
 
osmium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 6,517
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape City View Post
I dunno man, the swastika is literally an ancient symbol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_Cafe

Clearly the hitler portrait was representative of Buddha as well.
osmium is offline  
post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 09:42 PM
You're Welcome.
 
Canadian Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Eh?
Posts: 7,723
                     
Eh, I bow out of this conversation. I'm looking at this thing from multiple view points, and if I'm just going to be dubbed ludicrous for being open minded (and far from insulting), then there's no sense in being a part of this discussion. It's a touchy subject and I've said what I have to say.
Canadian Psycho is offline  
post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 10:46 PM
Welterweight
 
Woodenhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,043
                     
Yeah, best to leave now - obviously, there's a lot of people who would think that everybody should be offended by the exact same things, regardless of culture/background/experience, etc. Ban everything & live in a bubble, yo.
Woodenhead is offline  
post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 11:16 PM
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pryor Oklahoma
Posts: 894
                     
Im not offended by anything but Cain's Brown Pride Tattoo....thats literally it. God I hate that guy.
EVERLOST is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome