More UFC stats BS - Page 4 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 06:33 PM
It's a league game, Smokey
 
Ape City's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Planet of the Apes
Posts: 8,240
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoveraki View Post
Every man in the world lies about height. For licenses they just ask you your height, not like they measure it. And guess what? Everyone states 1"-3" taller than they are. I had a friend who was 6'1" in shoes and had 6'4" on his drivers license. No idea why by heightism is a big thing in the male universe.
I usually say I am 5"11 when I am really 5"10 1/2. The half just sounds dumbso clearly I am going to round up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexRei View Post
One problem is that the taller you get, the smaller a percentage of total height an inch or few cm is, and people's heights vary by some percent due to spinal contraction throughout the day. As an adult I've been measured at 6'1" and 6'2" by medical personnel at various times. My brother 6'4" to 6'6". These measurements were all accurate at the time they were taken, although I'm sure rounding took place as well. So while I usually tell people I'm 6'2", by the time I'm heading to be at night, depending on what I've been doing, I might be more like 6'1".
I thought it was the other way around. I thought throughout the day you get taller and when you sleep at night you contract. I could be wrong, though.


mad props: Toxic
Ape City is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 06:36 PM
I Finish Threads
 
HexRei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,044
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape City View Post
I thought it was the other way around. I thought throughout the day you get taller and when you sleep at night you contract. I could be wrong, though.
Gravity bro!

Everybody good, plenty of slaves for my robot colony?
HexRei is offline  
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 06:41 PM
It's a league game, Smokey
 
Ape City's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Planet of the Apes
Posts: 8,240
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexRei View Post
Gravity bro!
I thought when you slept your muscles contracted from not using them and you stretch them out throughout the day.

Learn something new every day.


mad props: Toxic
Ape City is offline  
post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 06:49 PM
I Finish Threads
 
HexRei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,044
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape City View Post
I thought when you slept your muscles contracted from not using them and you stretch them out throughout the day.

Learn something new every day.
It's about compaction of the spinal column though. The column itself is more or less a series of layers of bone separated by cartilage surrounding the cord.


Wait... are you trolling me?

Everybody good, plenty of slaves for my robot colony?
HexRei is offline  
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 08:40 PM
It's a league game, Smokey
 
Ape City's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Planet of the Apes
Posts: 8,240
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexRei View Post
It's about compaction of the spinal column though. The column itself is more or less a series of layers of bone separated by cartilage surrounding the cord.


Wait... are you trolling me?
No I really thought it was the other way around. My Gym teacher told me when I was a kid and I always remembered.


mad props: Toxic
Ape City is offline  
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
MMA Fanatic
 
Reflex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 59
                     
Its something that could be fixed easily to prevent retarded staredowns that make the stats look like bullshit. Like barao in the space of a night went from a 19 to 27 to 32 fight win streak through the commentary pre show and during!

It aint wwe
Reflex is offline  
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Lightweight
 
dlxrevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,500
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex View Post
Its something that could be fixed easily to prevent retarded staredowns that make the stats look like bullshit. Like barao in the space of a night went from a 19 to 27 to 32 fight win streak through the commentary pre show and during!

It aint wwe
Promoters will usually stretch the truth in order to bring as much excitement to an event as possible. It's a part of advertising.

Hector Lombard actually had a draw with Kyle Noke four fights after his last loss coming into the UFC, which mean he was on a 20 fight win streak. Do you think the UFC was going to promote the fight that way? No. They were going to say he was on a 24 or 25 fight win streak comming into the UFC.

Jake Shields before the fight with GSP had had his last fight in strikeforce with Dan Henderson in which he had been brutally knocked down in the first round before eventually getting the decision victory. Do you honestly think the UFC would have done a good job of promoting the GSP/Shields fight had they stated that? They instead stated the Jake Shields had never been knocked down and was on a 16 fight win streak.

Lyoto Machida took plenty of shots from BJ Penn and Stephan Bonnar before eventually taking his first loss from The second fight with Shogun. Did they state that exact fact before the first Shogun/Machida fight? No. They promoted that fight as the Mythodical Dragon who has never been hit vs Shogun, the guy who dominated pride.

They do these things for promotional veiwership. What is there to worry about if you as a fan already know the true statistics of these fighters, yet is still content with watching the UFC? It's not like you are completely clueless as to any of the fighters statistics, and the UFC promos and the Tales of the tape are the only outlets you have as to finding out these.fighters.physical stature and credintials. If they want to stretch the truth, let them. I mean, what high profile athletic event do YOU know that does an effective job of promoting themselves while at the same time, tells the absolute, 100% truth?
dlxrevolution is offline  
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 11:53 PM
Amateur
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Upper Darby, Pa
Posts: 120
         
Fighting there is weight classes,
NFL and NBA players heights are wrong because many were taken in college while many continue to grow.
panthony is offline  
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
MMA Fanatic
 
Reflex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 59
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlxrevolution View Post
Promoters will usually stretch the truth in order to bring as much excitement to an event as possible. It's a part of advertising.

Hector Lombard actually had a draw with Kyle Noke four fights after his last loss coming into the UFC, which mean he was on a 20 fight win streak. Do you think the UFC was going to promote the fight that way? No. They were going to say he was on a 24 or 25 fight win streak comming into the UFC.

Jake Shields before the fight with GSP had had his last fight in strikeforce with Dan Henderson in which he had been brutally knocked down in the first round before eventually getting the decision victory. Do you honestly think the UFC would have done a good job of promoting the GSP/Shields fight had they stated that? They instead stated the Jake Shields had never been knocked down and was on a 16 fight win streak.

Lyoto Machida took plenty of shots from BJ Penn and Stephan Bonnar before eventually taking his first loss from The second fight with Shogun. Did they state that exact fact before the first Shogun/Machida fight? No. They promoted that fight as the Mythodical Dragon who has never been hit vs Shogun, the guy who dominated pride.

They do these things for promotional veiwership. What is there to worry about if you as a fan already know the true statistics of these fighters, yet is still content with watching the UFC? It's not like you are completely clueless as to any of the fighters statistics, and the UFC promos and the Tales of the tape are the only outlets you have as to finding out these.fighters.physical stature and credintials. If they want to stretch the truth, let them. I mean, what high profile athletic event do YOU know that does an effective job of promoting themselves while at the same time, tells the absolute, 100% truth?
Because Im sick of manlets trying to tell me how big they are and how big the fighters are. Im 6'0 100kg but Id no doubt be a 6'3 mw by forum bros reasoning.
Reflex is offline  
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 12:46 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 122
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexRei View Post
Why would they bother? The commission ensures weight is on point, and if the rest doesnt matter to the commission, why should the UFC care?
Bc it raises doubts about h legitimacy of the sport
Machoman is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome