***OFFICIAL*** Jon Jones vs. Chael Sonnen Thread - Page 32 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

View Poll Results: Your prediction
Jon Jones 48 71.64%
Chael Sonnen 17 25.37%
Draw 2 2.99%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #311 of 341 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 03:45 PM
OU
Ultra-weight
 
OU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,080
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by OU View Post
I agree I think Jones wins by TKO more then likely. Since he is by far the better standup fighter and has an insane reach advantage. If he wants to he can put Chael away in the 1st minute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
Not sure about this. His striking is good, but he isn't some animal. His reach is great, but he isn't a finisher exactly with his strikes. He more or less breaks you down. And likes to start off slow.

I'd be surprised if he won by strikes in the first. Unless he gets a TD and unleashes crazy elbows.
He got that TD and landed the elbows. But IMO even if he didn't come in with a point to prove about his wrestling vs Chael's and just stayed standing. He still would have won by 1st round TKO.
OU is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #312 of 341 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 10:42 PM
Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,517
                     
either way it was a pretty bad mismatch. Chael never really stood a chance. Too bad Chuck isn't in his prime right now, he'd give Jones a run for his money. Jones really is lucky, no good up and comers with speed, power and wrestling. He could go undefeated for a decade until some Rory Mcdonald type comes along in 2023
rabakill is offline  
post #313 of 341 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 10:54 PM
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
 
osmium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 6,517
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabakill View Post
either way it was a pretty bad mismatch. Chael never really stood a chance. Too bad Chuck isn't in his prime right now, he'd give Jones a run for his money. Jones really is lucky, no good up and comers with speed, power and wrestling. He could go undefeated for a decade until some Rory Mcdonald type comes along in 2023
Bones would ragdoll Chuck and cave his face in with elbows.
osmium is offline  
post #314 of 341 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 11:02 PM
Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,517
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmium View Post
Bones would ragdoll Chuck and cave his face in with elbows.
now he would, Chuck in his prime would be a serious threat with a good camp.
rabakill is offline  
post #315 of 341 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 11:10 PM
Kneel Before Christ!
 
Roflcopter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,024
                     
Chuck couldn't even stand with Jones.

He'd get beaten in every aspect of MMA.

Jones has actually outstruck good strikers like Lyoto and Chuck's father.

Roflcopter is offline  
post #316 of 341 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 11:20 PM
Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,517
                     
He had world class TDD, knockout power, fast hands and a good chin. Pretty good stylistic matchup against Jones, better combo of skills than anyone else he's faced so far. Chael with his aggressive style was able to land some shots on Jones right at the start but he never had any power.
rabakill is offline  
post #317 of 341 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 12:49 AM
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
 
osmium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 6,517
                     
He didn't have world class takedown defense Rampage made him his bitch with wrestling and Jones is a million times better than Rampage at wrestling. Randy wasn't a great takedown artist watch his fight with Vera then watch Bones fight with Vera. Randy would get thrown around like a baby against Bones.
osmium is offline  
post #318 of 341 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 11:14 AM
Colossal-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,526
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by OU View Post
He got that TD and landed the elbows. But IMO even if he didn't come in with a point to prove about his wrestling vs Chael's and just stayed standing. He still would have won by 1st round TKO.
I don't agree. Chael was hurt by nothing standing. Jones doesn't finish with standing strikes, and has no standing KO's. Shogun was beat down on he feet, but after 3 rounds. Rampage was, but then taken down and sub'd. Bader? Hamill? Vera?

Bones has no history of ending fights early by striking. And most of the time he gets a TD and does what he wants from there.

Chael would have easily made it out of the first if they stood that whole round.
jonnyg4508 is offline  
post #319 of 341 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 11:18 AM
OU
Ultra-weight
 
OU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,080
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
I don't agree. Chael was hurt by nothing standing. Jones doesn't finish with standing strikes, and has no standing KO's. Shogun was beat down on he feet, but after 3 rounds. Rampage was, but then taken down and sub'd. Bader? Hamill? Vera?

Bones has no history of ending fights early by striking. And most of the time he gets a TD and does what he wants from there.

Chael would have easily made it out of the first if they stood that whole round.
Agree to disagree. Bones is better then ever and IMO when he fought Chael that was the biggest gap in talent of any Bones fight in the UFC. Considering how much better Bones is now and how big the gap was between these two fighters. I'm pretty positive that was the biggest favorite he has ever been and that's because the gap in talent was as big as it has ever been. Jones came in to prove a point. But if he also wanted to prove he could stop him quickly with the standup, he could have. Easily IMO.
OU is offline  
post #320 of 341 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 11:24 AM
Colossal-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,526
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by OU View Post
Agree to disagree. Bones is better then ever and IMO when he fought Chael that was the biggest gap in talent of any Bones fight in the UFC. Considering how much better Bones is now and how big the gap was between these two fighters. I'm pretty positive that was the biggest favorite he has ever been and that's because the gap in talent was as big as it has ever been. Jones came in to prove a point. But if he also wanted to prove he could stop him quickly with the standup, he could have. Easily IMO.
Would be the first time he ever has. I'm an odds kind of guy. He was coming to prove a point, but doesn't mean he has to end in round 1 to prove that point.

Chael wasn't staying at range. He would have needed a well placed uppercut or a elbow/knee to really hurt him. Yes he trained for a charging style, mostly then defending the TDs. But I think it would have taken him at least a round to really figure out how to capitalize in close via MT clinch, breaking elbow, a circle and set up...ect..
jonnyg4508 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome