So there's this thing in football where there is an unofficial world cup where the first two international teams who had a match hold the first title match. Then the team that wins retains it until they are beaten by another team.
Champ can defend in other organisations
I thought it would be funny to do with the ufc.
Champ 1 Jason De lucia at the alternate bout at ufc 1. Defenses 1
2. Royce Gracie beats De Lucia. 8 successful defences!
3. Sakuraba at Pride grand prix 2000
4. Igor Vovchanchyn same event.
5. Mark Coleman at the same event. 1 defenses
6. Big Nog at Pride 16. 6 defenses. Including beating Sapp who had his well earned shot at the unofficial title.
7. Fedor Pride 25. Fedor wins unofficial UFC gold. He then made a record 19 successful unofficial title defenses.
8. Fabricio Werdum. Strikeforce. First unoffical title win in strikeforce and the title returns to Brazil.
9. Overeem. Strikeforce grand prix. Overeem can't win heavyweight gold but can win unofficial gold. 1 defense
10. Big Foot. He is the reigning unofficial ufc champ and is now fighting to combine his title with the heavyweight champion of the world.
also the unofficial lightweight champ was last decided at gil v bendo. Gil losing it of course.
Meltzer did the same thing http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-linear090310