Kongo's profile removed from UFC.com - Page 5 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 05-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #41 (permalink)
Lightweight
 
BrutalKO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Melbourne, Florida
Posts: 1,939
BrutalKO Is Beloved By AllBrutalKO Is Beloved By AllBrutalKO Is Beloved By AllBrutalKO Is Beloved By AllBrutalKO Is Beloved By AllBrutalKO Is Beloved By AllBrutalKO Is Beloved By AllBrutalKO Is Beloved By AllBrutalKO Is Beloved By AllBrutalKO Is Beloved By AllBrutalKO Is Beloved By All
...That's too bad. Kongo gave us some memorable fights including-- (in my opinion, the greatest comeback in UFC history with his unforgettable fight with Pat Barry. Kongo's sick beatdown of Al-turk was another nasty one. Kongo was always a top striker but he never filled the holes in his game to be a bigtime contender. His chin has also taken a beating over the years. He was once considered the HW gatekeeper too. Best of luck for the cool, superhero sculpted Frenchman...
BrutalKO is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 05-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #42 (permalink)
official thrash metal connoisseur
 
hellholming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 3,174
hellholming Is Beloved By Allhellholming Is Beloved By Allhellholming Is Beloved By Allhellholming Is Beloved By Allhellholming Is Beloved By Allhellholming Is Beloved By Allhellholming Is Beloved By Allhellholming Is Beloved By Allhellholming Is Beloved By Allhellholming Is Beloved By Allhellholming Is Beloved By All
good riddance you nutkneeing bastard.
__________________
sigpic by Toxic

Fedor, Mir, Lytle, Serra, Hendo, Chuck, Minowaman, Maynard, Forrest, Hunt
Pickett, Kampmann, Matt Brown, Bisping, Weidman, Barnett, Teixeira, Lawler


hellholming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #43 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,140
jonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalKO View Post
...That's too bad. Kongo gave us some memorable fights including-- (in my opinion, the greatest comeback in UFC history with his unforgettable fight with Pat Barry. Kongo's sick beatdown of Al-turk was another nasty one. Kongo was always a top striker but he never filled the holes in his game to be a bigtime contender. His chin has also taken a beating over the years. He was once considered the HW gatekeeper too. Best of luck for the cool, superhero sculpted Frenchman...
Kongo was never a top striker. He has done very little to say so. His striking is basically a myth. That is why he resorted to wall, stall, nut maul.
jonnyg4508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #44 (permalink)
BEWARE OF THE PENGUIN!
 
No_Mercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,227
No_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF Material
Now I would like to see a Kongo vs Crocop rematch along with an Arlovski fight. Hey, I'm sure Tim Sylvia would be available too.
__________________
Marcus Aurelius: Tell me again, Maximus, why are we here?
Maximus: For the glory of the Empire, sire.

Baked, not fried... the healthy choice.

No_Mercy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #45 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
_CaptainRon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dallas, Texas, USA
Posts: 643
_CaptainRon is a name known to all_CaptainRon is a name known to all_CaptainRon is a name known to all_CaptainRon is a name known to all_CaptainRon is a name known to all_CaptainRon is a name known to all_CaptainRon is a name known to all_CaptainRon is a name known to all_CaptainRon is a name known to all_CaptainRon is a name known to all_CaptainRon is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
Kongo was never a top striker. He has done very little to say so. His striking is basically a myth. That is why he resorted to wall, stall, nut maul.
I agree completely. Rogan and Goldie would always tout him as this great kickboxer early during his UFC career, but I never really saw it. And once he figured out to wrestle a bit, all he did was use his strength and athleticism to pin guys against the cage. Of the Zuffa era UFC, he's also been the dirtiest fighter, holding the cage, grabbing opponents shorts, and numerous low blows. Good riddance.

I also would mind them axing Schaub and Dave 'I have no ******* excuse fighting in the UFC' Herman.
__________________
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
_CaptainRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #46 (permalink)
I Finish Threads
 
HexRei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,315
HexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CaptainRon View Post
I agree completely. Rogan and Goldie would always tout him as this great kickboxer early during his UFC career, but I never really saw it. And once he figured out to wrestle a bit, all he did was use his strength and athleticism to pin guys against the cage. Of the Zuffa era UFC, he's also been the dirtiest fighter, holding the cage, grabbing opponents shorts, and numerous low blows. Good riddance.
Kongo is a very good kickboxer (and very accomplished and proven in that sport), his skills and style just don't translate well to MMA rules. Jack Slack wrote up a great analysis of the reasons for it here.
__________________
His helmet was stifling, it narrowed his vision. And he must see far. His shield was heavy. It threw him off balance. And his target is far away.
HexRei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #47 (permalink)
....Omar Comin'
 
El Bresko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia.
Posts: 4,797
El Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemEl Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemEl Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemEl Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemEl Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemEl Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemEl Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemEl Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemEl Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemEl Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemEl Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexRei View Post
Kongo is a very good kickboxer (and very accomplished and proven in that sport), his skills and style just don't translate well to MMA rules. Jack Slack wrote up a great analysis of the reasons for it here.
Kongo doesn't have great technique on his kicks and his boxing leaves a lot to be desired. He does have good power and I assume he had a good Thai clinch but he never uses it in the octagon and he was accomplished in Muay Thai, not K1 style kickboxing.
__________________






El Bresko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #48 (permalink)
I Finish Threads
 
HexRei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,315
HexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bresko View Post
Kongo doesn't have great technique on his kicks and his boxing leaves a lot to be desired. He does have good power and I assume he had a good Thai clinch but he never uses it in the octagon and he was accomplished in Muay Thai, not K1 style kickboxing.
He has great kicks in his kickboxing fights, and yes his clinch is good too. His titles and video don't lie. His problem in the octagon is fear of TD's suppressing his kicks against all but purist strikers and lack of defense vs punchers... and the fact that a good clinch means something totally different when you're clinching with a powerful wrestler who wants to put you on your back. You really should just read the article. Slack is a very astute striking analyst.
__________________
His helmet was stifling, it narrowed his vision. And he must see far. His shield was heavy. It threw him off balance. And his target is far away.
HexRei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #49 (permalink)
....Omar Comin'
 
El Bresko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia.
Posts: 4,797
El Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemEl Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemEl Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemEl Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemEl Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemEl Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemEl Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemEl Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemEl Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemEl Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemEl Bresko Is Beyond A Rankings System
Haha yeah, I read it after i posted. His fear of being taken down is the reason.

Dumbass should have learnt how to work off his back. Dudes like Pettis and Condit are some of the most dangerous in MMA because of their willingness to fight anywhere.
__________________






El Bresko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #50 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,140
jonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexRei View Post
He has great kicks in his kickboxing fights, and yes his clinch is good too. His titles and video don't lie. His problem in the octagon is fear of TD's suppressing his kicks against all but purist strikers and lack of defense vs punchers... and the fact that a good clinch means something totally different when you're clinching with a powerful wrestler who wants to put you on your back. You really should just read the article. Slack is a very astute striking analyst.
I will have to read the article when I get a second. But Kongo's defense sucks.

You talk about how he is scared of the TD. But his last 8 fights he hasn't fought 1 single wrestler. Other than Cain he hasn't fought 1 decent wrestler his whole UFC career. How many times has he even been wrestled other than vs. Cain???

I'm not that up on his kickboxing resume. I know he had a solid record. But I don't know if it was good competition. All I know is he is not a good striker in the MMA world. He is serviceable standing, but I wouldn't call him any better than that.
jonnyg4508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios