Is Weidman overrated? - Page 4 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

View Poll Results: Will Wideman lose to Silva?
Yes, he will 62 78.48%
No, he won't 17 21.52%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 10:40 AM
OU
Ultra-weight
 
OU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,080
                     
Weidman is every bit the threat to Anderson that some think he is. Plenty of people are not on board with Weidman but they will see he is the real deal. A win here for Anderson would be up there with his Ace, Vitor and Hendo wins. Winning this fight at this stage in his career would be huge for Anderson in my eyes. Chris Weidman is 10x the threat to Anderson that GSP could ever be.
OU is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 10:44 AM
Colossal-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,047
                     
Agree about the GSP opinion.

Basically those who think GSP would beat Anderson. Or that it is a coin flip fight...those people basically have to pick Weidman.

If Weidman can't beat Anderson, there is no way in hell GSP could.
jonnyg4508 is online now  
post #33 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 10:51 AM
Welterweight
 
amoosenamedhank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,215
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by OU View Post
Weidman is every bit the threat to Anderson that some think he is. Plenty of people are not on board with Weidman but they will see he is the real deal. A win here for Anderson would be up there with his Ace, Vitor and Hendo wins. Winning this fight at this stage in his career would be huge for Anderson in my eyes. Chris Weidman is 10x the threat to Anderson that GSP could ever be.
I still think the layoff and big fight nerves will end his night.

If he was rolling off a big win against Vitor or someone at the top..... and carrying that confidence into the title fight with Silva 3-4 months later; I think he'd be in a lot better shape.

A long lay off and a huge jump up in competition PLUS his first UFC title fight. That's a lot of pressure on someone.
amoosenamedhank is offline  
post #34 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 10:55 AM
OU
Ultra-weight
 
OU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,080
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank View Post
I still think the layoff and big fight nerves will end his night.

If he was rolling off a big win against Vitor or someone at the top..... and carrying that confidence into the title fight with Silva 3-4 months later; I think he'd be in a lot better shape.

A long lay off and a huge jump up in competition PLUS his first UFC title fight. That's a lot of pressure on someone.
I don't think confidence will be an issue for Weidman. He has a great camp, he is use to being the guy with the less experience. But IMO Chris is one of the best in the World at translating his wrestling into BJJ and his overall grappling into MMA grappling.
OU is offline  
post #35 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 11:05 AM
Welterweight
 
amoosenamedhank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,215
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by OU View Post
I don't think confidence will be an issue for Weidman. He has a great camp, he is use to being the guy with the less experience. But IMO Chris is one of the best in the World at translating his wrestling into BJJ and his overall grappling into MMA grappling.
Well lets all just hope for a good fight then.
amoosenamedhank is offline  
post #36 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 11:14 AM
OU
Ultra-weight
 
OU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,080
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank View Post
Well lets all just hope for a good fight then.
I think it could be a fantastic fight. But then again Anderson is so accurate and talented that he could find an opening and finish the fight at anytime. But I think at the very least Chris makes Anderson work for it.
OU is offline  
post #37 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 11:16 AM
Flyweight
 
oordeel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Somewhere on earth
Posts: 376
                     
poop, i voted wrong
I blame work, it's distracting me from some quality forum time!
In any case, I think Weidman will go down fast. If I were a betting man, I'd bet all I got on Silva.

Favorite fighters:

1. Connor Mcgregor
2. Dominick Cruz
3. Joanna jedrzejczyk
4. Anthony Pettis
5. Ronda Rousey
oordeel is offline  
post #38 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 11:20 AM
Super Heavyweight
 
Voiceless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Neo-Babylon
Posts: 4,176
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
Agree about the GSP opinion.

Basically those who think GSP would beat Anderson. Or that it is a coin flip fight...those people basically have to pick Weidman.

If Weidman can't beat Anderson, there is no way in hell GSP could.
I'm not so sure about this. Weidman might have the better physical assets, but a big part of St. Pierre's success is due to his gameplaning and fight IQ which I think are both still ahead of Weidman's. St. Pierre's striking is also much better than Weidman's. A weight cut usually means that a fighter may gas earlier, but Weidman's striking looked shit from the first second against Maia of all people. St. Pierre outgameplaned all of his opponents, while Weidman usually was just the physical more bad ass guy against his opponents. I'm not sure which would be more important against Silva.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank View Post
I still think the layoff and big fight nerves will end his night.

If he was rolling off a big win against Vitor or someone at the top..... and carrying that confidence into the title fight with Silva 3-4 months later; I think he'd be in a lot better shape.

A long lay off and a huge jump up in competition PLUS his first UFC title fight. That's a lot of pressure on someone.
I'm also not so sure about this. Weidman still might have that confidence, because he just never lost in his MMA career. This could be one of his strongest advantages over Silva's previous opponents. He doesn't know how defeat and getting beat up in MMA tastes. It could make him less prone to being intimidated.
Voiceless is online now  
post #39 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: United States of Essex
Posts: 480
                     
I don't think Chris Weidman is over rated at all. Do I think he deserves the title shot over Vitor Belfort not really. But at the end of the day Chris is a skilled fighter and he has wins over Demian Maia and Mark Munoz despite only having 9 fights. I do not see him beating Anderson at this time because I feel that the lay off may be a bit too much for him and he may suffer ring rust.
Shady1 is offline  
post #40 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 11:36 AM
Colossal-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,047
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voiceless View Post
I'm not so sure about this. Weidman might have the better physical assets, but a big part of St. Pierre's success is due to his gameplaning and fight IQ which I think are both still ahead of Weidman's. St. Pierre's striking is also much better than Weidman's. A weight cut usually means that a fighter may gas earlier, but Weidman's striking looked shit from the first second against Maia of all people. St. Pierre outgameplaned all of his opponents, while Weidman usually was just the physical more bad ass guy against his opponents. I'm not sure which would be more important against Silva.
Yea, I'm sure GSP has good gameplans. But better at sticking to them. But what exactly would be this special gameplan that Weidman wouldn't understand as well? The only gameplan GSP could have is get Anderson down and staying on top. Weidman has trained with GSP and has great coaching over at Serra and Renzo's camps....so I doubt game planning would be a big deal. GSP wins by being the better wrestler and having better cardio. His striking is good enough to jab the Koschecks and Shield's of the world.

I don't agree GSP has better striking. GSP is a one-dimensional striker and predictable. Anderson would easily time GSP. Weidman is also a lot more likely to end there fight, where as GSP would have no chance. Weidman has submissions and looks for them often. GSP does not. Weidman would be much stronger than GSP in a clinch vs. Anderson.

In my opinion, Weidman is the MUUUUCH tougher fight for Anderson. At 6'2, biggest frame at MW, 78inch reach, elite division 1 wrestler, with very good BJJ. Bottom line is Weidman has the wrestling and size/strength to keep Anderson down...where GSP does not. He also has more of a shot at a sub, where GSP does not. Weidman is a bigger version of GSP, with some good front headlocks.

I think most people would agree, that in a straight grappling match, Weidman houses GSP. Weidman has the size to go along with the skill.
jonnyg4508 is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome