Frankie Edgar predicts 'whole package' Chris Weidman will defeat Anderson Silva - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 07:23 PM
Heavyweight
 
Voiceless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Neo-Babylon
Posts: 3,910
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddellianenko View Post
Brazilians on the other hand are practically unanimous in supporting their countrymen against others, they'd probably pick Jussier Da Silva over Jones.
There is at least one Brazilian who wouldn't:

Voiceless is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 11:23 PM
You're Welcome.
 
Canadian Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Eh?
Posts: 7,723
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddellianenko View Post
I don't think the North American part matters as much, American fighters and fans tend to be the least nationalistic and don't much base their fighter preferences on that. Brazilians on the other hand are practically unanimous in supporting their countrymen against others, they'd probably pick Jussier Da Silva over Jones.
I couldn't disagree more. Americans have to be some of the most patriotic, nationalistic people on earth. The 'USA, USA, USA!' chant didn't come about because American fans wanted a way to voice their support for other nations.

Every country cheers on its own. I'd say the Japanese are the least obvious about it.
Canadian Psycho is offline  
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 11:42 PM
The Chosen One
 
Cookie Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada's East Coast
Posts: 1,487
Blog Entries: 5
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddellianenko View Post
I don't think the North American part matters as much, American fighters and fans tend to be the least nationalistic and don't much base their fighter preferences on that. Brazilians on the other hand are practically unanimous in supporting their countrymen against others, they'd probably pick Jussier Da Silva over Jones.

I do agree though that the whole wrestling fraternity tends to stick together more and have mutual admiration, so it'd mean more if a prominent non-wrestler made the pick.
Chicago would like a word with you. :P

Sent from Verticalsports.com App

The poster formerly known as Cowgirl


Thanks to Killz for the great sig!

Cookie Monster is offline  
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 01:44 AM
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pryor Oklahoma
Posts: 856
                     
Its all just the DANA WHITE hype machine. Im sure he gave incentives. Its all crap.
EVERLOST is offline  
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 03:37 AM
Colossal-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,545
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Psycho View Post
I couldn't disagree more. Americans have to be some of the most patriotic, nationalistic people on earth. The 'USA, USA, USA!' chant didn't come about because American fans wanted a way to voice their support for other nations.

Every country cheers on its own. I'd say the Japanese are the least obvious about it.
I disagree. U.S. cheers for many Brazilians over Americans. The Chael/Silva line was close to a split in my estimation. They love Big Nog and Wandy. Love Aldo and love JDS. I bet JDS has more fans in America than Cain. U.S. likes fighters who go out and give it their all trying to put on a show for them. They may not be the most educated MMA fans, nor the best. But bias they aren't.

You will hear USA USA every so often. But maybe for a guy like Chuck, Hendo, or Randy. You would never see them do that for Jake Shields (haven't fact checked that).

Basically if you are a guy who is a diva or a guy who isn't "tough" you won't get nearly as much love from US no matter where you come from.

Take this forum for example. U.S. surely has the highest representation, but yourself and other Canadians are basically GSP fans of some sort. English posters at least have some love for Bisping if not out right love. Aussi's love their own as well here. And you can seemingly identify who is Asian as they love all who are Asian. But myself for example, I love Wandy and Anderson. Love Mark Hunt. Those are some of my favorite fighters. I routinely root for guys like Palhares and Gunnar Nelson.

American fans are the least bias in my opinion. Hands down. It could just be a numbers game, with so many American fighters and venues. But you rarely see the UFC needing to stack American fighters on American cards to sell. People here will get just excited for Big Nog as they are for Mir. Most likely more so.
jonnyg4508 is offline  
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 06:34 AM
Heavyweight
 
Voiceless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Neo-Babylon
Posts: 3,910
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
I disagree. U.S. cheers for many Brazilians over Americans. The Chael/Silva line was close to a split in my estimation. They love Big Nog and Wandy. Love Aldo and love JDS. I bet JDS has more fans in America than Cain. U.S. likes fighters who go out and give it their all trying to put on a show for them. They may not be the most educated MMA fans, nor the best. But bias they aren't.

You will hear USA USA every so often. But maybe for a guy like Chuck, Hendo, or Randy. You would never see them do that for Jake Shields (haven't fact checked that).

Basically if you are a guy who is a diva or a guy who isn't "tough" you won't get nearly as much love from US no matter where you come from.

Take this forum for example. U.S. surely has the highest representation, but yourself and other Canadians are basically GSP fans of some sort. English posters at least have some love for Bisping if not out right love. Aussi's love their own as well here. And you can seemingly identify who is Asian as they love all who are Asian. But myself for example, I love Wandy and Anderson. Love Mark Hunt. Those are some of my favorite fighters. I routinely root for guys like Palhares and Gunnar Nelson.

American fans are the least bias in my opinion. Hands down. It could just be a numbers game, with so many American fighters and venues. But you rarely see the UFC needing to stack American fighters on American cards to sell. People here will get just excited for Big Nog as they are for Mir. Most likely more so.
I don't know man, it's hard to tell who are the most patriotic and who the least as it can be expressed in different ways, but it's obvious that US-Americans are pretty patriotic. There are not many other nations that claim to live in "God's own country". And most other countries don't have a Pledge of Allegiance routine in school. I also can't remember to have ever heard the equivalent to the "U-S-A! U-S-A!" chants when a UFC card took place in another country. No "CA-NA-DA! CA-NA-DA!", "U-K! U-K!", "DEUTSCH-LAND! DEUTSCH-LAND!" or "SVERi-GE! SVERi-GE!" chants in the respective countries. You can't make it more obvious when you don't just cheer for a fighter of your own nationality and shout his name, but instead shout the name (or its initials) of the country that you disconnect your support from the fighter's individual personality and support him merely, because he is a fellow countryman.

It's true, in this forum it's a bit different and US posters also support non-US fighters, but keep in mind that forum members here are rather educated about the sport and the fighters, so it's more likely to find a supporting connection on the fighters' personalities beyond their nationalities. That's different to the mainstream fan. (And it's a bit mean to point out that CP is a fan of St. Pierre as St. Pierre is a fighter who makes it pretty easy to become a fan of, regardless of his nationality. Also you shouldn't drop the fact that CP is a pretty strong supporter of US' own Chael Sonnen )

And the UFC doesn't need to stack US cards with US fighters, because usually the majority of the fighters are US fighters anyways. And there is less need to expose US-fighters to their homecrowd when there is a show every fortnight and not only once or twice a year. You can see the drop of interest in boxing since the important HW titles are held by guys from former Soviet states for a while now.
Voiceless is offline  
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 08:16 AM
YNWA
 
Spite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great Britain
Posts: 3,476
                     
I tend to think that in most cases fans support fighters from their own nation, unless they have a specific reason for not doing so.

For example, I'll always support British fighters when they fight because I like to see my countrymen win, and besides its good for the sport over here. However, somebody like James McSweeney who is such a dick, I don't care who he fights, I want him to lose badly.

Spite is offline  
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 09:32 AM
HiiiPoWeR
 
Rauno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Estonia
Posts: 17,644
                     
Definitely leaning towards "whole package" Anderson.

Rauno is offline  
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 09:49 AM
Cupcake: Team Tate
 
LizaG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Milton Keynes, UK
Posts: 9,895
Blog Entries: 13
                     
Mind says Anderson, heart tells me there is a chance Weidman can do it. And I want Weidman to win too, MW needs to be mixed up a little
LizaG is online now  
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 11:21 AM
of Nazareth
 
Soojooko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Moon
Posts: 9,461
                     
Whatever happens I hope Weidman puts up a good fight. I loves me some Silva and at this stage in his career he needs tough fights that carry weight. He may well be the GOAT right now, but he knows full well he might lose that title unless he has tough fights to close out his career.

Weidman is a tough fight. Or at the very least, the toughest fight for Silva at MW right now.

If Silva does the expected and knocks Chris the feck out in round one? Well... that means nothing more then further proof that Silva is a very very special fighter. Its a shame Weidman didnt start earlier. 9 fights is awfully green. Especially going up against a fighter who has seen it all. Hes 28 ( 29? ). If he was at his current level at 25, he could have had over a decade at the very top.
Soojooko is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome