Are you prepared... - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 06:44 PM
Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,709
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C View Post
Anderson is dominant and the P4P best right now. Fedor was dominant and considered by many to be the P4P best for many years in a division that normally isn't involved in the P4P discussion, he retired and that's that, we move on.

Chuck and Randy did more for this sport than Anderson ever has. Their fights put this sport on the map, helped grow it, two legendary fighters. The sport did not miss them as new fighters took their place and we moved on, as we will with Anderson.

Why would Anderson get special treatment when he leaves beyond what those guys got? He's done less for the sport than they have.
maybe because he's a better fighter than all of them, Wayne Gretzky didn't invent skates, Michael Jordan didn't invent the basket.
rabakill is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 06:50 PM
M.C
.:DISTURBED:.
 
M.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Posts: 13,839
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabakill View Post
maybe because a better fighter than all of them
They were better fighters than the legends before them too. Fighters improve over time, the sport evolves every year. Many consider Jones to already be better than Anderson and feel he'd beat him.

He's the best "right now", and that's all well and good. That doesn't make him special beyond what Randy/Liddell/Fedor did. He's another great fighter that will retire and the sport will move on without him and better fighters will spring up and take his place in time.

I'm not saying he won't be missed, I'm just saying he won't get any special treatment from me when he retires, I'll wish him a good and happy life and I'll enjoy the next P4P great that shows up as I did with Fedor, Randy, Liddell, Hughes, and all the all time greats.
M.C is online now  
post #23 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 06:51 PM
Welterweight
 
GDPofDRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,212
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabakill View Post
maybe because a better fighter than all of them
It wouldn't surprise me if all three of them would have enjoyed a similar level of success had they chose to cut the weight and fight at 185.

Chuck, Randy, Fedor and Silva at their best in an open weight tourney, since they are all pretty similar in size, would not be an easy pick for me.
GDPofDRB is offline  
post #24 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 06:53 PM
....Omar Comin'
 
El Bresko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia.
Posts: 4,797
                     
I have no idea how I will react. I am gonna miss him a lot when he's gone.







El Bresko is offline  
post #25 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 06:55 PM
ptw
Featherweight
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,297
                     
For the record, Fedor still gets his name dropped and is respected in the community as one of the greatest of all time.

People don't just forget you when you're on of the best ever, names get dropped every so often. It will be a very long time until someone beats out Fedor for greatest HW.
ptw is offline  
post #26 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 07:00 PM
Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,709
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C View Post
They were better fighters than the legends before them too. Fighters improve over time, the sport evolves every year. Many consider Jones to already be better than Anderson and feel he'd beat him.

He's the best "right now", and that's all well and good. That doesn't make him special beyond what Randy/Liddell/Fedor did. He's another great fighter that will retire and the sport will move on without him and better fighters will spring up and take his place in time.

I'm not saying he won't be missed, I'm just saying he won't get any special treatment from me when he retires, I'll wish him a good and happy life and I'll enjoy the next P4P great that shows up as I did with Fedor, Randy, Liddell, Hughes, and all the all time greats.
The difference is the best there has ever been by a wide margin, those other guys were fierce competitors but Silva is the best there's ever been
rabakill is offline  
post #27 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 07:02 PM
Welterweight
 
GDPofDRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,212
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabakill View Post
The difference is the best there has ever been by a wide margin, those other guys were fierce competitors but Silva is the best there's ever been
That is a very subjective argument. One that has no right answer thus end.
GDPofDRB is offline  
post #28 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 07:08 PM
M.C
.:DISTURBED:.
 
M.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Posts: 13,839
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabakill View Post
The difference is the best there has ever been by a wide margin, those other guys were fierce competitors but Silva is the best there's ever been
Many would give Fedor that title, which is pretty much my point. Anderson is a great, he has spectacular finishes and done some great things, but no more than other greats have for their own reasons. Liddell/Randy grew the sport far more than Anderson ever has and was far more popular/known.

All the greats are specail for their own reasons, but all are remembered the same - great champions that let their mark, they move on and new fighters pick up the slack and make their mark then they retire and so on and so forth.

To me his retirement won't be that big of a deal.
M.C is online now  
post #29 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 07:14 PM
Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,709
                     
I disagree that it's arguable:

-While Fedor was a phenomenon and one of the most exciting fighters of all time he fought mostly marginal opponents in fringe organizations and never reached the pinnacle, you can't say Taro Tsujimoto was the greatest hockey play ever no matter what because he never played in the NHL

-Silva fought every competitor the UFC gave him for 7 years and hasn't lost once, in the top organization in the world. No one has come even close to that. You add on the fact that he willingly lets his opponents have dominant positions, which nobody else does. He's just so far ahead of the pack that it's not even close, atleast when trying to look at it objectively. I never even really liked Silva for most of his 7 year run

I mean, how is it subjective?
rabakill is offline  
post #30 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 07:19 PM
M.C
.:DISTURBED:.
 
M.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Posts: 13,839
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabakill View Post
I disagree that it's arguable:

-While Fedor was a phenomenon and one of the most exciting fighters of all time he fought mostly marginal opponents in fringe organizations and never reached the pinnacle, you can't say Taro Tsujimoto was the greatest hockey play ever no matter what because he never played in the NHL

-Silva fought every competitor the UFC gave him for 7 years and hasn't lost once, in the top organization in the world. No one has come even close to that

I mean, how is it subjective?
That is your opinion and you can have it. Others have a different opinion than yours.

My point still stands regardless, Anderson is not a special when lined up with other greats of the sport, they all accomplished much (and guys like Randy/Liddell grew the sport/were more well known/popular than Anderson ever was), and all will go down as MMA greats.

There's no reason whatsoever why I think more of Anderson than I do Liddell/Randy and his retirement will be the same.

If you think more of him then that is cool.
M.C is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome