Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hurricane Alley (Daytona)
1. If a fighter is fighting 3 times a year at what appears to be the minimum pay right now (8k/8k) that is $24,000 for loosing all 3 and $48,000 if they win. If they win all 3 fights that is equal to having a job that pays $23.00 an hour and working 40 hours a week 52 weeks a year.
2. I have been training in BJJ for years and MMA off and on for a few as well. I have many friends that train with me (at a Gracie school that has 2 pro fighters that we roll with) that make FAR less than $23/hr.
3. If, under a crappy 8k/8k contract a fighter wins 3 fights in a row, guess which fighter will no longer be making 8k a fight???
4. As mentioned above, I have been training for years. IF, for some unknown reason, Dana called me up and said “We need you to fight on a card for us” do I deserve to make $50k just because I have been training hard? Do I deserve to make the big bucks simply because I show up? NO I DO NOT! I would personally only account for 2 or 3 extra PPVs and maybe 5-10 ticket sales. So, what would be the up side for Dana et al, to pay me more than 8k/8k? All I would be doing is filling a slot and getting a GREAT opportunity to possibly strike gold! I work hard in training, I pay for my own training out of my pocket, that does not mean I deserve ANYTHING!
Now on to other things:
- The NFL Practice squad minimum pay is $5,200.00 a week. They only get paid for weeks they practice, not for the entire year. A practice squad player can only be on a practice squad for 2 years, then they become ineligible. So, while practice squad players CAN make enough to survive with out another job (about 100-150k a year) their window of opportunity is relatively short. Perform, or be gone!
- Comparing NFL money to UFC money is a very poor comparison. Its almost like comparing Donald Trump to the local realtor down the road. Sure, they are in the same industry, but they are WORLDS apart in income. The NFL grosses BILLIONS of dollars a year from just TV contracts. That doesn’t include any other of their multitudes of income.
- My buddy and I have always said “Not everybody deserves a trophy” and its true. They just don’t. Just because you work hard does not mean you earned anything (other than respect, but you cant deposit that in the bank).
Dan The Ju