Gegard Mousasi calls for No. 1 contender fight with Vitor Belfort at UFC 168 - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 07-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
It's a league game, Smokey
 
Ape City's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Planet of the Apes
Posts: 6,620
Ape City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings System
I think it is mostly how consistently Mousasi performs. Mousasi is a veteran of countless orgs so despite his young age he is a veteran, like Vitor.

Mousasi's style also matches up quite will with Vitor's. Mousasi is light on his fight, utilizes footwork, and has accurate striking. This could easily lead to a UD victory for Mousasi if Vitor can't land that big punch or get his flurry going.
__________________
mad props: Toxic
Ape City is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 07-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ultra-weight
 
John8204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,288
John8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua7789 View Post
Cans someone please enlighten me as to what the hell Mousasi has done in recent years to merit a number one contender fight for the MW belt? This would be an entertaining fight, but I don't really think he has any justification for jumping to the front of the line in a division that he hasn't fought in for some time. Okami, Munoz, Bisping, and Jacare should all be well ahead of him by quite a bit.
Bisping, Munoz, and Okami have all lost recently and they don't pose a threat to Chris Weidman(or Silva). If Top Ten LHW guys are willing to drop down they are going to jump to the front of the line because the current MW's haven't established themselves as challengers to the belt. Mousasi is just first but Machida, Evans, Henderson could all drop down and fight in contender fights.

The MW division is right now, like the FW division was two years ago. Guys need time to build themselves up as credible threats and the UFC has a ton of LHW's that they don't know what to do with them.
John8204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Heavyweight
 
joshua7789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,245
joshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by John8204 View Post
Bisping, Munoz, and Okami have all lost recently and they don't pose a threat to Chris Weidman(or Silva). If Top Ten LHW guys are willing to drop down they are going to jump to the front of the line because the current MW's haven't established themselves as challengers to the belt. Mousasi is just first but Machida, Evans, Henderson could all drop down and fight in contender fights.

The MW division is right now, like the FW division was two years ago. Guys need time to build themselves up as credible threats and the UFC has a ton of LHW's that they don't know what to do with them.
In what world is Mousasi a top ten LHW? Seriously, who has the guy actually beaten at LHW that is of note? Mousasi's biggest win was Jacare at MW and that was quite awhile ago.
joshua7789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ultra-weight
 
John8204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,288
John8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua7789 View Post
In what world is Mousasi a top ten LHW? Seriously, who has the guy actually beaten at LHW that is of note? Mousasi's biggest win was Jacare at MW and that was quite awhile ago.
http://www.ufc.com/Rankings

1 Lyoto Machida
2 Alexander Gustafsson
3 Glover Teixeira
4 Rashad Evans
5 Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
6 Dan Henderson
7 Mauricio Rua
8 Phil Davis
9 Gegard Mousasi
10 Ryan Bader

22-1-1 is a pretty impressive record, and being the LHW champion for the number #2 and #4 MMA companies in the world gives him a little credibility.
John8204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Heavyweight
 
joshua7789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,245
joshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by John8204 View Post
http://www.ufc.com/Rankings

1 Lyoto Machida
2 Alexander Gustafsson
3 Glover Teixeira
4 Rashad Evans
5 Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
6 Dan Henderson
7 Mauricio Rua
8 Phil Davis
9 Gegard Mousasi
10 Ryan Bader

22-1-1 is a pretty impressive record, and being the LHW champion for the number #2 and #4 MMA companies in the world gives him a little credibility.
Once again, these are strictly UFC rankings. He hasnt beaten anyone worth a shit at LHW.
joshua7789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ultra-weight
 
John8204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,288
John8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua7789 View Post
Once again, these are strictly UFC rankings. He hasnt beaten anyone worth a shit at LHW.
You just asked in what world is he in the top ten, in the UFC world he is. Also I'm not sure how many LHW's in the world are worth a shit, it's a fairly thin field. You know he was brought in to face a number one contender for the LHW belt. So if you don't consider him top ten where do you put him?
John8204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Heavyweight
 
joshua7789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,245
joshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by John8204 View Post
You just asked in what world is he in the top ten, in the UFC world he is. Also I'm not sure how many LHW's in the world are worth a shit, it's a fairly thin field. You know he was brought in to face a number one contender for the LHW belt. So if you don't consider him top ten where do you put him?
In defense, I checked four sites rankings before I posted that and none of them listed Mousasi in their top ten. I guess you could technically put him at ten, but really Manuwa, Te Huna, and Lil Nog all have more of a claim to it then he does. The guy has fought once in the UFC, looked bad in beating a can, and hadnt beaten anyone worthwhile in a long time leading up to that. Mousasi is the LHW version of the Reem, everyone thinks he has some amazing potential, but he hasnt done a single thing to deserve the hype.
joshua7789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ultra-weight
 
John8204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,288
John8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By AllJohn8204 Is Beloved By All
Mousasi's bounced in and out of the top ten for years. He gets the respect because he beats guys in three different weight classes. Nog is top five right now, Jimi might get more respect had Diabate not lost due to a freak injury, and Te'huna's both lost quite a bit and come close to losing.

Personally I have him at 11 or 12 right now behind Newton and Silva but I don't think he's so far off that it's an outrage to call him top ten. The UFC think highly of him and they don't really don't that with just anybody.
John8204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ultra-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,395
jonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By Alljonnyg4508 Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua7789 View Post
Cans someone please enlighten me as to what the hell Mousasi has done in recent years to merit a number one contender fight for the MW belt? This would be an entertaining fight, but I don't really think he has any justification for jumping to the front of the line in a division that he hasn't fought in for some time. Okami, Munoz, Bisping, and Jacare should all be well ahead of him by quite a bit.
Who the F cares? This is the problem with MMA today. Too many fans like this. Who else do you think Vitor should fight?

This is a sick matchup of skills with 2 high level guys. 2 champs. 2 well respected MMA fighters of the world.

Get out of here with "what has Mousasi done" crap. How about he has shown he is a very skilled fighter and a big name especially in hardcore circles. How about this is 2 high level strikers with good ground games?

Get out of here with your he doesn't deserve it crap. Can't stand that shit.
jonnyg4508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
SikWithIt
 
Bknmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 2,046
Bknmax Is Beyond A Rankings SystemBknmax Is Beyond A Rankings SystemBknmax Is Beyond A Rankings SystemBknmax Is Beyond A Rankings SystemBknmax Is Beyond A Rankings SystemBknmax Is Beyond A Rankings SystemBknmax Is Beyond A Rankings SystemBknmax Is Beyond A Rankings SystemBknmax Is Beyond A Rankings SystemBknmax Is Beyond A Rankings SystemBknmax Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
Who the F cares? This is the problem with MMA today. Too many fans like this. Who else do you think Vitor should fight?

This is a sick matchup of skills with 2 high level guys. 2 champs. 2 well respected MMA fighters of the world.

Get out of here with "what has Mousasi done" crap. How about he has shown he is a very skilled fighter and a big name especially in hardcore circles. How about this is 2 high level strikers with good ground games?

Get out of here with your he doesn't deserve it crap. Can't stand that shit.
+ rep
__________________
Favorite Fighters
HW: Daniel Cormier
LH: Gegard "The Dreamcatcher" Mousasi
LW: Ben "Smooth" Henderson
Bknmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios