***OFFICIAL*** Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs. Chael Sonnen Thread - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

View Poll Results: Your prediction
Mauricio "Shogun" Rua 13 34.21%
Chael Sonnen 23 60.53%
Draw 2 5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 342 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
 
Budhisten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9,226
                     
***OFFICIAL*** Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs. Chael Sonnen Thread

Light Heavyweight bout: 205 pounds
Main Event - Five round fight





MMAForum - Please follow, like and download our app!
Budhisten is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 342 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 10:13 AM
Bantamweight
 
Big_Charm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 869
                     
Very tough fight for either guy, as they have big strengths to counter weaknesses. It's not a question of whether or not Sonnen will take Rua down, he will. It's just a matter of time before Shogun can land a nice flurry and TKO Sonnen with knees and vicious GnP.

I think we see a stoppage in the 4th (if this is indeed a 5 rounder) by Shogun. I just hope Rua doesn't let Sonnen smother him and gas him out before the championship rounds (which could be a high probability).


R.I.P. PRIDE FC

Fedor-Shogun-Overeem-Cro Cop-Silva-Gomi-Henderson-Jackson

2014 NPFFL

Jon Jones . Travis Browne . Demian Maia. Cain Velasquez. Fabricio Werdum
Big_Charm is offline  
post #3 of 342 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 10:32 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,848
                     
I don't see how Sonnen loses unless he has a complete brainfart, which isn't out of the question.

Sonnen wins a UD with one or two 10-8 rounds. I think Shogun gasses badly.
TanyaJade is offline  
post #4 of 342 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 12:31 PM
-DayDay Knucks-
 
HitOrGetHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 20,163
Blog Entries: 13
                     
Shogun better bring his gas tank with him or he will go down. Either way he will be dangerous in that first round. But the way Shogun has been up and down and how suffocating Chael is, this is a tough one for Shogun.


Sent from Verticalsports.com App


-Always Supporting-
Miesha Tate - Urijah Faber - Dustin Poirier - Frankie Edgar - Claudia Gadelha - Tecia Torres - Demian Maia - Jessica Eye - Diaz Bro's

Sig Credit: M.C
HitOrGetHit is offline  
post #5 of 342 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 12:58 PM
SPEED KILLS
 
SM33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,124
                     
Sonnen does have the aggression and wrestling to give Shogun problems, but I think he's really lacking in physical strength and firepower in this fight. He can disrupt Shogun, but I don't think he can steamroll him like he's done to others.

Chael might be wise to actually go EASY in the first round or two, and turn it up as the fight goes on. Shogun is a beast everywhere when he's fresh and if Sonnen goes running at him hoping for a scrappy exchange and takedown, he might get knocked out or reversed surprisingly quickly.

Understandable that alot of people may pick Sonnen, but I don't think he can bully a well trained Shogun and I think the 5 rounds actually benefits Rua. Chael can score some points wrestling but overall is outgunned. At this point in their careers, most important thing is that its a great fight.

SM33 is offline  
post #6 of 342 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 01:02 PM
Colossal-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,197
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
I don't see how Sonnen loses unless he has a complete brainfart, which isn't out of the question.

Sonnen wins a UD with one or two 10-8 rounds. I think Shogun gasses badly.
Why is Sonnen regarded as such an elite guy? He has proven nothing at 205. He put up ZERO resistance vs. Bones and was easily beat at his own game. He lost bad to Anderson the 2nd time. He arguably lost to Bisping, at the very least Bisping gave him all he could handle.

So what a near victory over a hurt Silva and a win over Brian Stann who is now retired means he is among the elite?

He may win, but to say you don't know how he loses??? Sonnen has had one foot out the door for a while now. He spends more time on the set of UFC Tonight than he does in the gym.

Never understood where Sonnen became an elite fighter? He is good no doubt. But proven nothing what so ever at 205 and is not getting any younger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitOrGetHit View Post
Shogun better bring his gas tank with him or he will go down. Either way he will be dangerous in that first round. But the way Shogun has been up and down and how suffocating Chael is, this is a tough one for Shogun.
Shogun's lack of gas tank is so damn over-exaggerated. Listen, I'm not saying it is a strength of his. But come on. People act like he is Tito Ortiz. Who did he gas against? Bones? Who wouldn't gas vs. a extremely large, one of teh best in the world, wrestler? Hendo? Who wouldn't gas when taking that much damage? Several H-Bombs. He still went 5 rounds and pulled enough gas out at the end to over-come all those shots he took. GSP would be worn out too if he took those shots. Where else? The Vera fight where he found a finish in the 4th? Gustaf? Lets get real. Most of the 205 division wouldn't have the gas to go 5 rounds. He has gassed to guys who really have beat him up or are just that much better (Gustaf, Bones). Sonnen was as or more tired as Shogun has been in the 5th round vs. Anderson the first time. Anderson taking 500 "punches" out-lasted a guy who was on top the whole time. Chael gassed on top. Other than that he has been in a bunch of 3 round fights and sort of gasses in those.

Why do people think Sonnen is this cardio machine (where is the proof) and Shogun can't even go 3 rounds? Sonnen isn't going to hurt Shogun as much as Hendo, Gustaf, Bones or hell even Vera did. Taking shots has something to do with gassing....

Totally exaggerated.
jonnyg4508 is offline  
post #7 of 342 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,848
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
Why is Sonnen regarded as such an elite guy? He has proven nothing at 205. He put up ZERO resistance vs. Bones and was easily beat at his own game. He lost bad to Anderson the 2nd time. He arguably lost to Bisping, at the very least Bisping gave him all he could handle.

So what a near victory over a hurt Silva and a win over Brian Stann who is now retired means he is among the elite?

He may win, but to say you don't know how he loses??? Sonnen has had one foot out the door for a while now. He spends more time on the set of UFC Tonight than he does in the gym.

Never understood where Sonnen became an elite fighter? He is good no doubt. But proven nothing what so ever at 205 and is not getting any younger.
I don't think very highly of Sonnen at 205 either, trust me. But I recognize that he will probably beat Shogun simply because he is such a nightmare matchup for him. Sonnen is a damn good wrestler and Shogun may quite possibly have one of the worst wrestling games not only in the UFC LHW division, but in the entire organization and no I am not exaggerating. You say that Shogun's bad cardio is exaggerated but it's really pretty terrible. He was a walking punching bag against Gustafsson after the first three minutes and gassed almost immediately once he tied up with Brandon Vera. I don't think Sonnen is a cardio god but it's been shown that his cardio is still much better than Shogun's.

I don't see Sonnen as elite at 205 either and I question where his status stands right now in the UFC MW division even, but he's facing a Shogun that's a shell of his former self complete with bad knees, bad cardio, terrible defensive wrestling and tremendously overrated jiu jitsu.
TanyaJade is offline  
post #8 of 342 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 04:47 PM
Welterweight
 
GDPofDRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,212
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
Shogun may quite possibly have one of the worst wrestling games not only in the UFC LHW division, but in the entire organization and no I am not exaggerating.

I like MMA less because of this forum
GDPofDRB is offline  
post #9 of 342 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 04:55 PM
Ultra-weight
 
slapshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Spokane
Posts: 6,237
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
I don't think very highly of Sonnen at 205 either, trust me. But I recognize that he will probably beat Shogun simply because he is such a nightmare matchup for him. Sonnen is a damn good wrestler and Shogun may quite possibly have one of the worst wrestling games not only in the UFC LHW division, but in the entire organization and no I am not exaggerating. You say that Shogun's bad cardio is exaggerated but it's really pretty terrible. He was a walking punching bag against Gustafsson after the first three minutes and gassed almost immediately once he tied up with Brandon Vera. I don't think Sonnen is a cardio god but it's been shown that his cardio is still much better than Shogun's.

I don't see Sonnen as elite at 205 either and I question where his status stands right now in the UFC MW division even, but he's facing a Shogun that's a shell of his former self complete with bad knees, bad cardio, terrible defensive wrestling and tremendously overrated jiu jitsu.
Shogun has a decent all around game IMO. That includes a decent clinch, I would think that's where this fight will be won or lost and I give Shogun a edge because he can end a fight from the clinch.

Of coarse Sonnen can win, I only slightly favor Shogun. I just believe Shogun should be somewhat favored until Sonnen beats him if he does.

sakurabushidokan.homestead.com
slapshot is offline  
post #10 of 342 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 05:21 PM
-DayDay Knucks-
 
HitOrGetHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 20,163
Blog Entries: 13
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
Shogun's lack of gas tank is so damn over-exaggerated. Listen, I'm not saying it is a strength of his. But come on. People act like he is Tito Ortiz. Who did he gas against? Bones? Who wouldn't gas vs. a extremely large, one of teh best in the world, wrestler? Hendo? Who wouldn't gas when taking that much damage? Several H-Bombs. He still went 5 rounds and pulled enough gas out at the end to over-come all those shots he took. GSP would be worn out too if he took those shots. Where else? The Vera fight where he found a finish in the 4th? Gustaf? Lets get real. Most of the 205 division wouldn't have the gas to go 5 rounds. He has gassed to guys who really have beat him up or are just that much better (Gustaf, Bones). Sonnen was as or more tired as Shogun has been in the 5th round vs. Anderson the first time. Anderson taking 500 "punches" out-lasted a guy who was on top the whole time. Chael gassed on top. Other than that he has been in a bunch of 3 round fights and sort of gasses in those.

Why do people think Sonnen is this cardio machine (where is the proof) and Shogun can't even go 3 rounds? Sonnen isn't going to hurt Shogun as much as Hendo, Gustaf, Bones or hell even Vera did. Taking shots has something to do with gassing....

Totally exaggerated.
Shoguns lack of a gas tank isn't even remotely close to being an exaggeration. He gassed against Bones, he gassed horribly against Vera. Sure he finished the fight, but that doesn't somehow negate the fact that he looked like he had never seen a treadmill before. He gassed against Coleman who was older than dirt. He slowed down against Hendo, he didn't look particularly well against Gus or in the first Forrest Griffin fight. He has had one fight in the UFC that went the distance where he looked good and that was the first Machida fight. Chuck and the second Griffin fight didn't make it out of round 1.

Shogun's level of cardio has been horrid since leaving Pride.


-Always Supporting-
Miesha Tate - Urijah Faber - Dustin Poirier - Frankie Edgar - Claudia Gadelha - Tecia Torres - Demian Maia - Jessica Eye - Diaz Bro's

Sig Credit: M.C
HitOrGetHit is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome