Is Frank Mir the Dennis Hallman of Matt Hughes? - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
The American Psycho
 
Bonnar426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,307
                     
Is Frank Mir the Dennis Hallman of Matt Hughes?

After Bitter Rivals, Tim Sylvia said Frank Mir was the Dennis Hallman of Matt Hughes. Dennis Hallman is one of the few fighters that beat Matt Hughes but could not beat anybody else. Sylvia believes Mir's victory over him was a fluke. Do you think Frank Mir is on Tim Sylvia's level or was his victory only a freak thing?
Bonnar426 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 10:41 PM
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7
 
sadly i think frank mir WAS on his level but now is not, and imho wont ever be again.
he seriously broke that leg, and rehab can be tuff, but his weight and conditioning in his fight vs christinson was very sad. a guy who wont keep his body in shape, wont work hard enough to be a champ again, accident or no accident.
GrimsGuhnome is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 12:04 AM
Megaweight
 
jdun11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Everett, MA
Posts: 5,961
Blog Entries: 1
                     
dont count mir out ..hes still a young guy.. i think if he gets serious and starts training hard again, he could beat tim again..




Mancrushes
1.Shogun
2.BJ
3.Fedor
4.Kos
5.GSP

Im in Porno's
jdun11 is offline  
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 12:13 AM
Future UFC LW Champ
 
CTFlyingKnee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,957
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdun11
dont count mir out ..hes still a young guy.. i think if he gets serious and starts training hard again, he could beat tim again..
agreed
CTFlyingKnee is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 01:48 AM
Bantamweight
 
Spit206Fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 669
               
True, but he's got ALOT of work ahead of him, and it won't be quick either. If he goes into the next fight lookin like he used to it'll be pretty obvious he's on steroids.

What is it that is going to be on your mind when you're on your death bed? Will it be the tedious years of 9 to 5, or the memory of some great acheivement. Maybe a moment you stood in glory to the applause of millions.
-Evan Tanner
Spit206Fire is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 09:34 AM
Amatuer
 
FunkDoctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 161
 
Don't compare him to Hallman. This guy is more of a Penny Hardaway or Grant Hill. The guy was in an accident and hasn't been able to recoup. He WAS better then Tim and was developing into one of the top HW submission fighters, now he's just fat and washed up. I suggest UFC has him fight Vera to officially end all this crap.

"This is my house" - Royce Gracie

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4630/mof1ht6.png
FunkDoctor is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 12:29 PM
Flyweight
 
Adrnalnrsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 369
 
According to the post fight interview, Mir says it was an ugly win and it wont happen again. I think he's well aware of what he needs to do to be back on that higher level.

He said he took his training for granted and didnt diet well for that fight.


As for Tim, I dont think it was a fluke. A win's a win. Especially one where someone snaps your arm. Something thats not too commonplace. I think Tim was just down talking that fight and since he's defeated AA twice he's just being cocky now. Before he beat AA the first time, Im sure if you had asked Tim about the Mir fight, he most likely say that he got caught and just couldnt shake Mir, but now its just him being cocky because he beat AA twice and Mir has put on two horrbile exhibitions. I give Mir two more fights before I'd say he's out of the game.
Adrnalnrsh is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 12:32 PM
Flyweight
 
Adrnalnrsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 369
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkDoctor
Don't compare him to Hallman. This guy is more of a Penny Hardaway or Grant Hill. The guy was in an accident and hasn't been able to recoup. He WAS better then Tim and was developing into one of the top HW submission fighters, now he's just fat and washed up. I suggest UFC has him fight Vera to officially end all this crap.

I defenitely wouldnt want to see him fight Vera now, it just wouldnt be fair. Make him fight someone like Sherner or something.
Adrnalnrsh is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 12:55 PM
MMA Fanatic
 
cro.cop123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 66
 
Its pretty hard to watch mir sink to where he is now. He had so much natural talent and was looking to become one of the top heavys in the world. If he gets back into the gym and slims down he could be a force again, although I don't think he has the drive to do it.

Q: He(Wanderlei Silva) said he's really looking forward to fight you in the finals.

A: (Mirko CroCop) Thats his problem.
cro.cop123 is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 01:26 PM
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 808
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrnalnrsh
According to the post fight interview, Mir says it was an ugly win and it wont happen again. I think he's well aware of what he needs to do to be back on that higher level.

He said he took his training for granted and didnt diet well for that fight.


As for Tim, I dont think it was a fluke. A win's a win. Especially one where someone snaps your arm. Something thats not too commonplace. I think Tim was just down talking that fight and since he's defeated AA twice he's just being cocky now. Before he beat AA the first time, Im sure if you had asked Tim about the Mir fight, he most likely say that he got caught and just couldnt shake Mir, but now its just him being cocky because he beat AA twice and Mir has put on two horrbile exhibitions. I give Mir two more fights before I'd say he's out of the game.
I agree with ya on that one. Seems like he is a little more cocky now.
ROCKBASS03 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome