***OFFICIAL*** Ryan Bader vs. Glover Teixeira Thread - Page 14 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

View Poll Results: Your prediction

Ryan Bader 4 33.33%
Glover Teixeira 8 66.67%
Draw 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

Old 09-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #131 (permalink)
Megaweight
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,459
cdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMA-Sportsman View Post
Damn. So, that means even if Jones crushes Gus I don't get to be impressed, right?
Kidding. I know that, but Gus still is a big fella.
Oh no doubt, I am just trying to keep certain facts in check that seem to be getting out of control. Some people seem to think that Jones will only have a slight reach advantage of Gus, or that Gus is the young hungry challenger, etc. The reality is that Gus faces a lot of the exact same obstacles other opponents of JBJ face. Gus isn't lucky in that he happens to share the reach or anything like that.

Gus is a big dude, his legs are obviously more full the JBJ's, but he is still facing a massive reach disadvantage and while they are the same age it "seems" like JBJ has been facing the top competition longer while Gus is just breaking into it.
cdtcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 09-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #132 (permalink)
Super Heavyweight
 
MMA-Sportsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: "Set Go Around Heading and Altitude"
Posts: 4,170
MMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtcpl View Post
Oh no doubt, I am just trying to keep certain facts in check that seem to be getting out of control. Some people seem to think that Jones will only have a slight reach advantage of Gus, or that Gus is the young hungry challenger, etc. The reality is that Gus faces a lot of the exact same obstacles other opponents of JBJ face. Gus isn't lucky in that he happens to share the reach or anything like that.

Gus is a big dude, his legs are obviously more full the JBJ's, but he is still facing a massive reach disadvantage and while they are the same age it "seems" like JBJ has been facing the top competition longer while Gus is just breaking into it.
Agree. Gus is used to face smaller guys as well, so having a big guy with Jones talent will be massive trouble for him.

It's the "top competition" Jones faced I don't buy it. Ok, top for the absence of better fighters, I get it, but c'omon:

Brandon Vera? Grandpa Matyushenko? Object of this thread Ryan Bader? Guy who looks like Shogun? Rampage? Machida? Post Machida Rashad? Broken hand Vitor? Chael Fecking Sonnen?

Jones is better than all of the above mentioned guys. That's all I can reckon. Impressed? Not as much.

Gus and Tex are fights I am anxious to happen for the quality and regularity of their records.
__________________
Eric Bana's "LOVE THE BEAST"
MMA-Sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #133 (permalink)
Light Heavyweight
 
Joabbuac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,109
Joabbuac Is Beyond A Rankings SystemJoabbuac Is Beyond A Rankings SystemJoabbuac Is Beyond A Rankings SystemJoabbuac Is Beyond A Rankings SystemJoabbuac Is Beyond A Rankings SystemJoabbuac Is Beyond A Rankings SystemJoabbuac Is Beyond A Rankings SystemJoabbuac Is Beyond A Rankings SystemJoabbuac Is Beyond A Rankings SystemJoabbuac Is Beyond A Rankings SystemJoabbuac Is Beyond A Rankings System
He never measure legs in mma, but i bet its much closer in kicking reach.
Joabbuac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #134 (permalink)
Megaweight
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,459
cdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By Allcdtcpl Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMA-Sportsman View Post
It's the "top competition" Jones faced I don't buy it. Ok, top for the absence of better fighters, I get it, but c'omon:

Brandon Vera? Grandpa Matyushenko? Object of this thread Ryan Bader? Guy who looks like Shogun? Rampage? Machida? Post Machida Rashad? Broken hand Vitor? Chael Fecking Sonnen?

Jones is better than all of the above mentioned guys. That's all I can reckon. Impressed? Not as much.

Gus and Tex are fights I am anxious to happen for the quality and regularity of their records.
1) I find it hilarious we are still arguing in this thread.

2) You were not impressed by JBJ? Shogun survived 4 rounds of the Hendo bomb but JBJ made him tap. JBJ beat (finished) Lyoto within 2 rounds, it took Shogun 6. Vitor and Sonnen I'll give you, but when he fought Bader he was the next in line for a title shot after Rashad.

The Evans fight I will give you, he was not that impressive and seemed to not want that fight. I'm not sure if it was due to some loyalty issue, training nightmares, or what. But otherwise JBJ has brought the fight to everyone and finished them. He doesn't eek out decisions (other than Bader and his early fight with Bonnar), he goes in and beats wholesale ass. He also finished Vitor and Sonnen like they weren't even in his league, and other than the surprise arm bar attempt by Vitor he was in no other danger those fights. Hell, he was still throwing the arm that had just been getting torqued on.

I am not excited at all for Gus or Tex, I just don't think they have anything to bring to the table that we haven't seen JBJ handle with ease already. I will say though, I cannot offer any alternative fights for him to take. I understand the fights have to happen, I just don't see why people think they stand more of a chance then they do.
cdtcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #135 (permalink)
Light Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,106
rabakill Is Beloved By Allrabakill Is Beloved By Allrabakill Is Beloved By Allrabakill Is Beloved By Allrabakill Is Beloved By Allrabakill Is Beloved By Allrabakill Is Beloved By Allrabakill Is Beloved By Allrabakill Is Beloved By Allrabakill Is Beloved By Allrabakill Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMA-Sportsman View Post
Agree. Gus is used to face smaller guys as well, so having a big guy with Jones talent will be massive trouble for him.

It's the "top competition" Jones faced I don't buy it. Ok, top for the absence of better fighters, I get it, but c'omon:

Brandon Vera? Grandpa Matyushenko? Object of this thread Ryan Bader? Guy who looks like Shogun? Rampage? Machida? Post Machida Rashad? Broken hand Vitor? Chael Fecking Sonnen?

Jones is better than all of the above mentioned guys. That's all I can reckon. Impressed? Not as much.

Gus and Tex are fights I am anxious to happen for the quality and regularity of their records.
the reason I feel Jones is worthy of his praise is for 2 reasons:

1. the names you mentioned are all pros in the best league in the sport, Jones has dominated every single person he's fought. Machida made it look close, sort of, for part of a round. Just because he's not getting the absolute best in the divisions history doesn't take that much away from him because;

2. he's faced every person the UFC put in front of him eagerly. I think it's not merely the case that the guys you mentioned are that bad, it's that Jones makes them look bad. Rashad, Rampage etc. would still be in the mix if it weren't for Jones. He made Machida and Shogun look like amateurs, both of whom were supposed to be phenoms. Seems to me that Jones is making these guys look bad so it makes both himself and his opponents look bad. I agree the opponents aren't the top the division has ever had to offer but he's fighting everyone and beating them handily, you can't really ask more of the guy and there's nobody at LHW that is a favorite over him in the world. Jones is the next generation version of an mma fighter; dynamic, big, strong, tough and adaptable. Nobody else even comes close to that, when you put a guy like that up against someone like a one dimensional Rampage it just demonstrates how bad Rampage actually is.
rabakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #136 (permalink)
Super Heavyweight
 
MMA-Sportsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: "Set Go Around Heading and Altitude"
Posts: 4,170
MMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtcpl View Post
1) I find it hilarious we are still arguing in this thread.
Yeah, me too. Isn't that great? We're here to have fun or what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtcpl View Post
2) You were not impressed by JBJ? Shogun survived 4 rounds of the Hendo bomb but JBJ made him tap. JBJ beat (finished) Lyoto within 2 rounds, it took Shogun 6. Vitor and Sonnen I'll give you, but when he fought Bader he was the next in line for a title shot after Rashad.
After Hendo KO Fedor, he got a exciting decision(lot of heart and that's it) with Shogun's shell and two boring decisions with Machida and Rashad. He's an old dude, man. Can't compare to Jones.
Lyoto almost never attacks, only counter attacks. He was a puzzle for everyone when Shogun fought him for the first time and you know it. Remember the Machida era? When Shogun figured out how to beat Machida and exposed him to others, it took only one round in the next fight. After that, what, Machida lost a boring decision to Rampage and kicked the face of grandpa Couture into retirement.
Don't take me wrong. The finishing was impressive, but Machida is far from being the aggressive all rounded fighter to highlight Bones, IMO.

Bader was a promise that crashed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtcpl View Post
He also finished Vitor and Sonnen like they weren't even in his league, and other than the surprise arm bar attempt by Vitor he was in no other danger those fights. Hell, he was still throwing the arm that had just been getting torqued on.
Vitor and Sonnen are not in Jones league, That's what I am saying, specially an one hand Vitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtcpl View Post
I am not excited at all for Gus or Tex, I just don't think they have anything to bring to the table that we haven't seen JBJ handle with ease already. I will say though, I cannot offer any alternative fights for him to take. I understand the fights have to happen, I just don't see why people think they stand more of a chance then they do.
Well that's a sad truth. Beside DC coming I don't see nobody yet to challenge Bones, but Gus and Tex have the best paper records among all of the guys Jones faced. That's why I am very attentive for those matches.
__________________
Eric Bana's "LOVE THE BEAST"
MMA-Sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #137 (permalink)
Ultra-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,377
jonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings Systemjonnyg4508 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmium View Post
The finish was impressive but he was getting worked for the most part by Ryan Bader standing before that. I like Tex but the more I see of him the more it becomes clear he is the Kampmann of LHW. Good to really good in every area but also very vulnerable at the highest level because of poor striking defense and wrestling that is solid but not overwhelming. He is lucky that the division is kind of mediocre right now with so many of the top guys aging poorly and no super talented young guys outside of Bones and Gus.
I see what you are trying to say. But I don't think he is as similar to Kampmann as you make it out. He seems to be much more of a finisher with actual power in his hands. And he has been rocked but he isn't getting finished like Kampann.

I don't understand this lack of defense thing. He got punched what? Once by Maldonado? The whole fight? When he got complacent. Bader is like the only fight where he was in any sort of trouble. And I think he just started slow. But the one punch Fabio landed, people need to get over. He got punched ONCE the whole fight, then immediately went on to continue to dominate.
jonnyg4508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #138 (permalink)
Super Heavyweight
 
MMA-Sportsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: "Set Go Around Heading and Altitude"
Posts: 4,170
MMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By AllMMA-Sportsman Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabakill View Post
the reason I feel Jones is worthy of his praise is for 2 reasons:

1. the names you mentioned are all pros in the best league in the sport, Jones has dominated every single person he's fought. Machida made it look close, sort of, for part of a round. Just because he's not getting the absolute best in the divisions history doesn't take that much away from him because;

2. he's faced every person the UFC put in front of him eagerly. I think it's not merely the case that the guys you mentioned are that bad, it's that Jones makes them look bad. Rashad, Rampage etc. would still be in the mix if it weren't for Jones. He made Machida and Shogun look like amateurs, both of whom were supposed to be phenoms. Seems to me that Jones is making these guys look bad so it makes both himself and his opponents look bad. I agree the opponents aren't the top the division has ever had to offer but he's fighting everyone and beating them handily, you can't really ask more of the guy and there's nobody at LHW that is a favorite over him in the world. Jones is the next generation version of an mma fighter; dynamic, big, strong, tough and adaptable. Nobody else even comes close to that, when you put a guy like that up against someone like a one dimensional Rampage it just demonstrates how bad Rampage actually is.
I am not asking more from Bones. He is doing what he is supposed to do. As I said before...

HTML Code:
Jones is better than all of the above mentioned guys. That's all I can reckon. Impressed? Not as much.
__________________
Eric Bana's "LOVE THE BEAST"
MMA-Sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #139 (permalink)
Light Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,106
rabakill Is Beloved By Allrabakill Is Beloved By Allrabakill Is Beloved By Allrabakill Is Beloved By Allrabakill Is Beloved By Allrabakill Is Beloved By Allrabakill Is Beloved By Allrabakill Is Beloved By Allrabakill Is Beloved By Allrabakill Is Beloved By Allrabakill Is Beloved By All
fair enough, we can't force you to be impressed. When I watch the guy I get this sense of terror from his opponents sometimes, it's the physical imposition he brings that impresses me. Nobody else dominates their opponent like Jones, he's got that extra edge of bringing the psychological aspects of fear and terror into the game. Glover said he's happy to be in the cage but against Jones he'll get scared really quick when he's pressed against the cage. Seeing his toe come through the skin and he hardly even flinched, that's a scary person to have to be in a cage with.

I completely get what you mean though, technically he doesn't stand out particularly in one single aspect (as Silva and GSP do) and he lacks the one punch power. I'd rather lose via one big shot as opposed to being physically broken down over 10-15 minutes with knees, elbows and kicks.
rabakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #140 (permalink)
Middleweight
 
VolcomX311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: L.A.
Posts: 2,901
VolcomX311 Is Respected By All He CrossesVolcomX311 Is Respected By All He CrossesVolcomX311 Is Respected By All He CrossesVolcomX311 Is Respected By All He CrossesVolcomX311 Is Respected By All He CrossesVolcomX311 Is Respected By All He CrossesVolcomX311 Is Respected By All He CrossesVolcomX311 Is Respected By All He CrossesVolcomX311 Is Respected By All He CrossesVolcomX311 Is Respected By All He CrossesVolcomX311 Is Respected By All He Crosses
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMA-Sportsman View Post
Agree. Gus is used to face smaller guys as well, so having a big guy with Jones talent will be massive trouble for him.

It's the "top competition" Jones faced I don't buy it. Ok, top for the absence of better fighters, I get it, but c'omon:

Brandon Vera? Grandpa Matyushenko? Object of this thread Ryan Bader? Guy who looks like Shogun? Rampage? Machida? Post Machida Rashad? Broken hand Vitor? Chael Fecking Sonnen?

Jones is better than all of the above mentioned guys. That's all I can reckon. Impressed? Not as much.

Gus and Tex are fights I am anxious to happen for the quality and regularity of their records.
Guy who looks like Shogun, LOL
VolcomX311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios