Gustafsson training with Davis & Klitschkos? - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Middleweight
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,553
                     
Gustafsson training with Davis & Klitschkos?

That's what Josh Gross was saying anyway. Good strategy if true? Seems to be a decent approach.

Move to US paying off for Team Gustafsson

MMA Live Extra: What to Watch For at UFC 165

I find it interesting that Gustafsson chose to train with someone he lost to. Curious how that worked out. Thinking about it, it makes sense. The Klitschkos definitely could mimmic Jone's hands, but Jones doesn't strike like a traditional boxer. But I do think it's a good strategy. Shows Team Gustafsson understands challenge before them. I was thinking Stefan Struve would be someone to consider tapping as well in a situation like this. Same reach as Jones, and an mma striker.
Calminian is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Colossal-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,164
                     
He's trained with Davis for for like 3 years.

Haven't heard this Kitschko stuff before though.
jonnyg4508 is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Middleweight
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,553
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
Haven't heard this Kitschko stuff before though.
Gross mentions it on the second link.
Calminian is offline  
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 03:02 PM
Megaweight
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,499
                     
Training with the Klitschkos is nice and all, but since their striking style would not translate well to MMA (things like their base would get them taken down all day long) it really doesn't mean much. Team Alpha Male had the right idea, lets hire someone who knows how to strike in an MMA fight to help build our striking techniques.

As for training with PD, it has clearly helped him, but at the same time the TD's that Davis goes for are different than Jones. You would be better off training with Lyoto as Jones uses a lot of trips during his takedowns where PD sort of tries and power through it.
cdtcpl is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 03:39 PM
Super Heavyweight
 
Voiceless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Neo-Babylon
Posts: 4,247
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtcpl View Post
Training with the Klitschkos is nice and all, but since their striking style would not translate well to MMA (things like their base would get them taken down all day long) it really doesn't mean much. Team Alpha Male had the right idea, lets hire someone who knows how to strike in an MMA fight to help build our striking techniques.
Yes and no. You're right, training with the Klitschkos doesn't help Gustafsson to be prepared for incoming TDs or so, but it probably helps him to get an idea of how Jones uses his reach advantage to stay on the outside. So it wouldn't be smart to have the Klitschkos as main sparring partners for MMA striking, but their high level boxing can surely help to train certain aspects in the striking department.
Voiceless is online now  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 05:35 PM
Welterweight
 
TheNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 2,195
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voiceless View Post
Yes and no. You're right, training with the Klitschkos doesn't help Gustafsson to be prepared for incoming TDs or so, but it probably helps him to get an idea of how Jones uses his reach advantage to stay on the outside. So it wouldn't be smart to have the Klitschkos as main sparring partners for MMA striking, but their high level boxing can surely help to train certain aspects in the striking department.
Exactly... It can never be a bad thing when training with the best HW striker on the planet.

The Klitschkos will not only help get a better understanding of opposing reach, but also how to make himself fight taller and longer and create his own distance. Even though they are Boxers, they have deadly hands and great footwork for thier size.

Alex just needs to take the basic concepts he picks up and translate them over to MMA. We will have to wait until tonight to see if all this is highly effective though.

SMOOTH
TheNinja is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Middleweight
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,553
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voiceless View Post
Yes and no. You're right, training with the Klitschkos doesn't help Gustafsson to be prepared for incoming TDs or so, but it probably helps him to get an idea of how Jones uses his reach advantage to stay on the outside. So it wouldn't be smart to have the Klitschkos as main sparring partners for MMA striking, but their high level boxing can surely help to train certain aspects in the striking department.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNinja View Post
Exactly... It can never be a bad thing when training with the best HW striker on the planet.

The Klitschkos will not only help get a better understanding of opposing reach, but also how to make himself fight taller and longer and create his own distance. Even though they are Boxers, they have deadly hands and great footwork for thier size.

Alex just needs to take the basic concepts he picks up and translate them over to MMA. We will have to wait until tonight to see if all this is highly effective though.
Yeah, I think generally it's a good idea. Gus has never fought anyone with a reach advantage like this, and while this can't be sufficient in and of itself, it's a good piece of the puzzle to work on. Plus, PD's striking has improved, which will help Gus as well. I think we'll know for certain in the first round whether his training will pay off or not.
Calminian is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome