imo cormiers striking is overrated - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Flyweight
 
the bad guy 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dallas Tx.
Posts: 244
                     
imo cormiers striking is overrated

His striking looks very rudimentary and in the nelson fight he looked very uncomfortable and akward at times e.i. back fist n crane kick lol. N for those saying he has good boxing idk where to start but to me his boxing mediocre at best. Sure his wrestling and wall n stall tactics are great to fall back on but if he truly thinks he can hang with the upper echolon of the 205 division he's gonna have to work on his striking or he will be getting lit up against the best 205 strikers e.i. Jones, Gustafson. Also to those saying he has fast hands his hands looked regular to me vs nelson and Roy has to be the slowest he barring mir.

Discuss???

Supporting UFC heels since 2009

-Lesnar
-Rousey
-Mir
-Ortiz
-Bones
-Bisping
-Rampage
-Koscheck
-Diaz Bros
the bad guy 13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 01:54 AM
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 910
                     
I think Cormier is super over rated. Thats just my opinion but I think once he goes to 205 we will see him fall short. Again just my opinion.
JASONJRF is offline  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 02:04 AM
Colossal-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,042
                     
No one ever said he was some elite striker. But he has easily out-struck Bigfoot, Roy, Mir, Barnett. Not the best of the best. But more than many can say. And he only gets better. Does it mean anything to you that he is still a GREEN MMA fighter. Yet has already beat possibly 4 top 10 HWs and is undefeated not losing a round.

No one thinks he is the best striker in the world. But he is the best wrestler at 205 or HW. And possibly in the whole UFC. So he doesn't have to be the best striker. But he is defiantly solid on the feet.

Actually he is UNDERRATED in my opinion. Real odd how much people expect out of a guy who started MMA less than 5 years ago. Yet has the resume he does. A guy at 5'11, naturally a 205er, who is a wrestler turned MMA fighter dropped Bigfoot like he was a can. Yet REEM (the supposed best striker at HW and mammoth of a man) could not.

It is laughable how much people rag on DC. Yet don't stop to consider that he is basically new to MMA. Yet has never lost a round. Reem was touted as the best HW on earth by many before he got to the UFC. At least top 3 in the world. Touted as the best HW striker automatically coming in to the UFC. Yet DC has twice the resume at HW as Reem does.
jonnyg4508 is offline  
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 02:14 AM
Super Heavyweight
 
AlphaDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,092
                     
imo Jones' striking is even more overrated. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Cormier beat him everywhere.

Will make predictions for credits. Please, I'm so broke.

AlphaDawg is offline  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Flyweight
 
the bad guy 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dallas Tx.
Posts: 244
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDawg View Post
imo Jones' striking is even more overrated. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Cormier beat him everywhere.
Jones is the best striker at LHW he has out struck proven strikers such as machida, rampage, shogun, victor, Gustafson. Best striker, wrestler, bjj specialist. The complete package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
No one ever said he was some elite striker. But he has easily out-struck Bigfoot, Roy, Mir, Barnett. Not the best of the best. But more than many can say. And he only gets better. Does it mean anything to you that he is still a GREEN MMA fighter. Yet has already beat possibly 4 top 10 HWs and is undefeated not losing a round.

No one thinks he is the best striker in the world. But he is the best wrestler at 205 or HW. And possibly in the whole UFC. So he doesn't have to be the best striker. But he is defiantly solid on the feet.

Actually he is UNDERRATED in my opinion. Real odd how much people expect out of a guy who started MMA less than 5 years ago. Yet has the resume he does. A guy at 5'11, naturally a 205er, who is a wrestler turned MMA fighter dropped Bigfoot like he was a can. Yet REEM (the supposed best striker at HW and mammoth of a man) could not.

It is laughable how much people rag on DC. Yet don't stop to consider that he is basically new to MMA. Yet has never lost a round. Reem was touted as the best HW on earth by many before he got to the UFC. At least top 3 in the world. Touted as the best HW striker automatically coming in to the UFC. Yet DC has twice the resume at HW as Reem does.

Actually seem has better wins at hw than DC

Werdum and Brock >>> roy, monson, mir

Supporting UFC heels since 2009

-Lesnar
-Rousey
-Mir
-Ortiz
-Bones
-Bisping
-Rampage
-Koscheck
-Diaz Bros

Last edited by Hammerlock2.0; 10-30-2013 at 03:31 AM.
the bad guy 13 is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 04:18 AM
....Omar Comin'
 
El Bresko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia.
Posts: 4,797
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by the bad guy 13 View Post
Jones is the best striker at LHW he has out struck proven strikers such as machida, rampage, shogun, victor, Gustafson. Best striker, wrestler, bjj specialist. The complete package.
He did not out strike Gustafsson. That was an even striking match. He couldn't take Gus down and DC is leagues ahead of him as a wrestler and he was an inch away from losing his title to Vitor by armbar. Vinny and Davis are both better BJJ guys and that's not even mentioning Drysdale who will soon be fighting in the UFC. Jones is a very well rounded fighter but the only thing he is the best at is length.

Quote:
Actually seem has better wins at hw than DC

Werdum and Brock >>> roy, monson, mir
Well it doesn't really help your case that DC is undefeated and Reem has been KOed in his last two fights, does it?







El Bresko is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 05:45 AM
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 553
                     
Jones did not outstrike Gustafsson. Jones stiking is not even top-5 in the division. All of Jones opponents give up some standup advantage because they want to avoid Jones wrestling.

Even Gustafsson did and despite that the striking was very even.

Put Jones in th heavyweight division where he cannot bully them with wrestling and he would have trouble with JDS and Cain and likely be knocked out. Jones footwork, hand speed, striking power, chin is ok but far from the best strikers out there. Even his boxing technique was shown in the Gustafsson fight to be less than top-5. He was outjabbed and and hit in the face many more times than Gustafsson was. Jones kicks are good though.
Gustafsson Fan is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 06:11 AM
The Fun Police
 
Killz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK... Where the sun never shines.
Posts: 11,361
Blog Entries: 1
                     
Never heard anyone hyping DC's striking. Only his wrasslin... which is probably the best in all MMA.
Killz is online now  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 07:46 AM
The Mad Titan
 
Guy Incognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Following The Path To Jesus Set By His Disciple Vitor Belfort
Posts: 5,111
                     
He's miles ahead of every LHW boxer-wrestler(most boxer-wrestlers in all of MMA). Jones,Texiera,Evans,Davis,Sonnen etc ain't got shit on his boxing. well speed antechnique wise, plus his kicking game is coming along nicely.

Guy Incognito is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 07:47 AM
of Nazareth
 
Soojooko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Moon
Posts: 9,615
                     
99% of all MMA fighters have rudimentary boxing. When looked at in context, Cormiers striking is well above average.
Soojooko is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome