Diego Sanchez inks new eight-fight UFC contract, wants Joe Lauzon at UFC 171 - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Super Heavyweight
 
Stapler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,157
                     
You don't think he'd beat Lauzon? Lauzon would probably gas hard from Diego's pace and get finished inside of 3 rounds. I picture him getting mounted and eating punches after being too tired to defend himself. Only way I see Lauzon getting the win is if he finishes Diego and yeah, good luck with that. Diego may have gotten destroyed by top 3 lightweight Melendez, but he refused get put away.

I get it, you think Diego is a low level fighter and you're right about him not proving he's a top 10, but Lauzon has looked even worse lately and he matches up poorly with an energizer bunny like Diego. Lauzon is very average everywhere in my opinion with questionable cardio. What makes him so great to fans is the fact that he's exciting and is a finisher. He finishes fights for sure, but I wouldn't see him finishing Diego if they fought. You can make a case that Diego is average as well, but he is physically superior to Lauzon. A lot more heart, way better conditioning, physically stronger, and more durable. I'd also say he's the better grappler.

I'll give you Melendez (obviously) and Diaz. Lauzon? No. McGregor? Not at the moment. Too green which you sort of pointed out.

Psalm 30:5 "For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning."

Top 3 Favorite Fighters
1. Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell
2. Glover Teixeira
3. Demian Maia
Stapler is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 10:40 PM
Colossal-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,202
                     
I can see that. Perhaps it is the Lauzon fan in me. Lauzon would out-strike him as long as his gas lasted. Since Diego has terrible striking. But yea you may be right.

I don't care for Diego you are right. But I don't think I'm wrong when I say his skills are missing. It is plain to see he is a Leonard Garcia 155er with a more knowledgably ground game and less power. He swings and he swings and he swings. He misses and he misses and he misses. He wins a bunch of fights he shouldn't have. Judges think wild punches mean landed punches. They just guess what landed and what didn't. As brutal as people act like Diego is. Melendez didn't have a mark...after a brawl. But I'm sure Melendez doesn't "show" damage...that is the usual fall back for things like that.
jonnyg4508 is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 11:10 PM
Super Heavyweight
 
Stapler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,157
                     
I actually agree to an extent, I noticed a huge decline in him once he knocked out Riggs. He forgot about his grappling and thought he could strike. Unfortunately for him, his striking was greatly exaggerated and his grappling suffered due to neglect, particularly his wrestling. For a guy that talks up his wrestling a lot, he MUST have the highest percentage of failed take downs in the UFC. Sometimes, I think I have better take downs than Diego.

Overall, I think his grappling is very good, but it doesn't mean much when any decent wrestler can stuff his take downs. I love his intensity, but when he fell in love with his brawling style, he really took a step back skill wise. Another victim of a thing I like to call "improved striker syndrome" which is funny in this case because his striking went from non existent to sloppy, not a huge improvement. Having a granite chin and unlimited cardio has carried it this far.

I feel like his stand up style sort of requires power to be really successful, which is something he lacks. He looked like he tried to be more technical against Gomi and abandoned his berserker style, but he failed miserably despite getting the victory. He's not a technical guy, who ever gave him that gameplan overestimated his abilities. He's stuck in a rut stand up wise. He's a brawler without power, what a bad combination. They may miss a lot, but at least when they land, it counts.

Frustrating to be a Sanchez fan sometimes.

Psalm 30:5 "For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning."

Top 3 Favorite Fighters
1. Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell
2. Glover Teixeira
3. Demian Maia
Stapler is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 11:22 PM
Colossal-weight
 
John8204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 8,618
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
I can see that. Perhaps it is the Lauzon fan in me. Lauzon would out-strike him as long as his gas lasted. Since Diego has terrible striking. But yea you may be right.

I don't care for Diego you are right. But I don't think I'm wrong when I say his skills are missing. It is plain to see he is a Leonard Garcia 155er with a more knowledgably ground game and less power. He swings and he swings and he swings. He misses and he misses and he misses. He wins a bunch of fights he shouldn't have. Judges think wild punches mean landed punches. They just guess what landed and what didn't. As brutal as people act like Diego is. Melendez didn't have a mark...after a brawl. But I'm sure Melendez doesn't "show" damage...that is the usual fall back for things like that.
You keep pissing and moaning about the Kampmann and Gomi fights Gomi slightly outstruck Sanchez but was clearly out grappled, Kampmann was pushed up against the cage 7 times in the 2nd round and spent most of the last 10 minutes in that fight moving backwards. Neither fight was clearly won by Gomi and Kampmann certainly not enough to bring it up in every Sanchez thread. This isn't boxing you don't just count strikes and determine the winner based on that. You say Melendez didn't show damage..he was dropped that matters much more than a cut you can win a round with a bad cut you lose rounds if you get dropped.
John8204 is online now  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 12:39 AM
Colossal-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,202
                     
jonnyg4508

Quote:
Originally Posted by John8204 View Post
You keep pissing and moaning about the Kampmann and Gomi fights Gomi slightly outstruck Sanchez but was clearly out grappled, Kampmann was pushed up against the cage 7 times in the 2nd round and spent most of the last 10 minutes in that fight moving backwards. Neither fight was clearly won by Gomi and Kampmann certainly not enough to bring it up in every Sanchez thread. This isn't boxing you don't just count strikes and determine the winner based on that. You say Melendez didn't show damage..he was dropped that matters much more than a cut you can win a round with a bad cut you lose rounds if you get dropped.
Most media outlets had Kamp and Gomi winning. Sanchez always gets the benefit of the doubt since he is a wild man, even if he lands few punches. Gets his TDs stuffed with ease. I never said either fight was clearly won. I think alomg with MOST that the refs got those wrong.

He dropped him once. Because Gil let him by allowing a brawl. Lucky for Diego, that Gil isn't some safe Greg Jackson fighter, so he gave him his chance to brawl. And he caught Melendez. Melendez still easily out-struck him that round still. Melendez could have coasted in with technical striking and not gave him his one shining moment that Diego fans will cherish forever.

Diego got his hass handed to him that fight. Arguably lost to over the hill, small Gomi. And more people than not had Kampmann winnings. Like I said Diego gets by on aggression and spastic movements. He is similar to Leonard Garcia in terms of skill.
jonnyg4508 is offline  
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 01:25 AM
Colossal-weight
 
John8204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 8,618
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
Most media outlets had Kamp and Gomi winning. Sanchez always gets the benefit of the doubt since he is a wild man, even if he lands few punches. Gets his TDs stuffed with ease. I never said either fight was clearly won. I think alomg with MOST that the refs got those wrong.
You may have never said either fighter clearly won but you keep bringing it up, ..move on man. And they don't always give him the benefit of the doubt he's 7-5-2 on decisions going for him, against him and split (the Kampmann fight all three judges gave it to him).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
He dropped him once. Because Gil let him by allowing a brawl. Lucky for Diego, that Gil isn't some safe Greg Jackson fighter, so he gave him his chance to brawl. And he caught Melendez. Melendez still easily out-struck him that round still. Melendez could have coasted in with technical striking and not gave him his one shining moment that Diego fans will cherish forever.
Gil gassed out in the third because that's what he does what Sanchez has a number of shining moments he's had like three Fights of the Year (Karo, Guida, Gil).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg4508 View Post
Diego got his hass handed to him that fight. Arguably lost to over the hill, small Gomi. And more people than not had Kampmann winnings. Like I said Diego gets by on aggression and spastic movements. He is similar to Leonard Garcia in terms of skill.
Diego had more skill than Kampmann and Gomi, skill isn't just counter punching. Had they gone for TD's and submissions and not been one dimensional they might not have lost. Sanchez isn't some highly skilled one note fighter he's versatile and well conditioned (sometimes)
John8204 is online now  
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 03:35 AM
Bantamweight
 
TheGreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 578
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by John8204 View Post
You think we'll be able to tell?

8 fights for Sanchez well he's got the first four setup

Sanchez/Lauzon
Sanchez/Diaz
Sanchez/Melendez II
Sanchez/McGregor

I hope they Shogun him and gift him a title shot at Pettis, I think he matches up very well against Anthony and could beat him.
They already gifted him a title shot when he fought b.j... no way it will happen again, he needs to earn it.

WAR LAUZON!
TheGreg is offline  
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Colossal-weight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,202
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by John8204 View Post

Gil gassed out in the third because that's what he does what Sanchez has a number of shining moments he's had like three Fights of the Year (Karo, Guida, Gil).
Hahahaha.. So delusional. So comical.

Gil gassed? Yet he out-struck Diego that round still? Then what does that say about Diego? Gil could have EASILY cruised and picked him apart the 3rd just like he did the other 2. Hell he could have taken him down. But Gil ain't that sort of fighter. He let Sanchez have the brawl he wanted. ANd he got clipped once.

Lol Gil gassed. He totally out-classed him all fight landing at will while Diego swung and missed all night. Diego looked like a bloody mess while Gil looked like he was ready for his school picture. Proof is in the pudding. Just because you can't decipher what is a landed punch and what is not doesn't mean Diego did well. 90% of Diego's strikes are misses because he is just a wild man with no technical skill. He gets punched in the face each fight and people eat it up. Him and Guida play characters In the cage.
jonnyg4508 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome