***OFFICIAL*** Rory MacDonald vs. Demian Maia Thread - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

View Poll Results: Your prediction
Rory MacDonald 10 43.48%
Demian Maia 13 56.52%
Draw 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 09:16 AM
Cupcake: Team Tate
 
LizaG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Milton Keynes, UK
Posts: 10,716
Blog Entries: 13
                     
I'm hoping Maia takes a limb home with him. And subs Rory in spectacular fashion

LizaG is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 09:21 AM
Welterweight
 
TheNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 2,311
                     
Rory has no excuse to lose this fight imo... The guy is just too big and talented. It's just going out their and putting it all together. He can't wait the entire fight to get it going like in Lawler fight.

SMOOTH
TheNinja is offline  
post #23 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 11:11 AM
Super Heavyweight
 
Stapler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,158
                     
I wouldn't go as far to say that he has "no excuse." It's not like Maia sucks. He is a strong welterweight himself with an amazing ground game. He dropped the ball against Shields, but how often have you seen guys like Fitch and Story get rag dolled? Fitch against St. Pierre when he was the kingpin, and Story, I'm not even sure. He is a brute who's conditioning is his enemy. Maia walked right through him when he was at 100%. Maia is still a beast. Rory is talented, no doubt, and Maia will have his hands full if he brings his best, but if Maia manages to get him down, Rory could have his hands full as well. Jake worked on the ground fine against him, but I'd say that Jake is much better on the ground than Rory (and arguably better than the rest of the division grappling wise) and is often underrated because of his style.

I see this as a pretty evenly matched fight. I'm leaning toward Maia, but if Rory comes in with his takedown defense being top of the line, it could be a long night for Maia because his stand up isn't where it needs to be.

Psalm 30:5 "For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning."

Top 3 Favorite Fighters
1. Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell
2. Glover Teixeira
3. Demian Maia
Stapler is offline  
post #24 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 11:51 AM
Welterweight
 
TheNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 2,311
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stapler View Post
I wouldn't go as far to say that he has "no excuse." It's not like Maia sucks. He is a strong welterweight himself with an amazing ground game. He dropped the ball against Shields, but how often have you seen guys like Fitch and Story get rag dolled? Fitch against St. Pierre when he was the kingpin, and Story, I'm not even sure. He is a brute who's conditioning is his enemy. Maia walked right through him when he was at 100%. Maia is still a beast. Rory is talented, no doubt, and Maia will have his hands full if he brings his best, but if Maia manages to get him down, Rory could have his hands full as well. Jake worked on the ground fine against him, but I'd say that Jake is much better on the ground than Rory (and arguably better than the rest of the division grappling wise) and is often underrated because of his style.

I see this as a pretty evenly matched fight. I'm leaning toward Maia, but if Rory comes in with his takedown defense being top of the line, it could be a long night for Maia because his stand up isn't where it needs to be.
Maia has the best ground game in the Division by far imo.... I just feel Rory should be able to control the distance and dominate on the feet.

SMOOTH
TheNinja is offline  
post #25 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 12:06 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,848
                     
Maia fought like an idiot against Shields.
He spent way too much time fishing for a triangle.

Still thought it was hilarious that despite getting outstruck and out grappled and landing zero takedowns that Shields still won the fight.

Hopefully Maia doesn't fight like an idiot against Captain Hipster.
TanyaJade is offline  
post #26 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 12:06 PM
Megaweight
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,499
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNinja View Post
Maia has the best ground game in the Division by far imo.... I just feel Rory should be able to control the distance and dominate on the feet.
There is an article on Bleacher Report:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...eakdown/page/3

where for the takedowns they point out how Rory allowed BJ to get on the inside. If he has this same flaw again Maia then I expect the fight to go to the ground or Maia start going for subs and back control standing. For me it is all about if Rory can keep this standing, because if it hits the ground Maia will beat Rory.
cdtcpl is offline  
post #27 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 12:28 PM
Ultra-weight
 
Joabbuac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,340
                     
If Maia is commited to taking Rory down, i don't see any reason why Rory's jab will keep him off.
Joabbuac is offline  
post #28 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 01:49 PM
BEWARE OF THE PENGUIN!
 
No_Mercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 12,305
                     
Initially I thought Rory could take this, then I remembered that Demian did beat Fitch, Story, Kim, and a sleu of others at MW. Given their history it's fairly evenly matched.

If Maia gets on the inside/clinch/takedown it'll be his world. If Rory pumps his jab and fights like he should aggressively controlling all aspects of the fight then he takes it. Kinda glad Robbie won, but we all know that was Rory's fight. GSP passed the torch to Rory. It's up to him to take it.

After reviewing the top three fights this is actually a solid card. It's just lacking the usual super star marquee fights.

Marcus Aurelius: Tell me again, Maximus, why are we here?
Maximus: For the glory of the Empire, sire.

Baked, not fried... the healthy choice.

No_Mercy is offline  
post #29 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 04:42 PM
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 404
                     
I feel MacDonald is the stronger of the two and will be able to dictate more of where the fight takes places and his better striking skills will give him the edge in the rounds allowing him to win a decision.
rebonecrusher is offline  
post #30 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 04:54 PM
"Focus"
 
Life B Ez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 10,115
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebonecrusher View Post
I feel MacDonald is the stronger of the two and will be able to dictate more of where the fight takes places and his better striking skills will give him the edge in the rounds allowing him to win a decision.
That's what I've been thinking. Maia rag dolled Fitch and Story but I think Rory is much stronger than either of them and his defensive wrestling is superior as well. Neither Fitch nor Story have shown the ability to deal with being pressured constantly. Rory hasn't really either but his footwork is better so I don't know if Maia will be able to rush into the clinch the same way.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

Think. It Ain't Illegal Yet
"Discipline Hurts Less Than Regret"
Life B Ez is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome